• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer24

Banned
Makes me wonder if there is some truth to rumors RB are looking around for a new engine.

Everyone is always looking.
But where would RBR go? They want preferential Treatment, and wont get that from MER or FER. So they could maybe wait how HON does next year and go from there.
But in reality, they are just lighting a fire under REN´s ass.

malyce

So lotus was the most improved team this weekend. Grosjean doesnt get enough love as a driver. McLaren is such a shit team, I'm kinda happy they fucked up 2012 causing Lewis to bail the fuck out of there.

Didn't bother watching qualifying live, foregone conclusion.

Never thought we'd have a car more dominant this year than the 2011 Red Bull was. Hell, with the gaps involved I'd argue the Merc is more dominant than the 2002 Ferrari. 1 second up is just ridiculous.

Nicktendo86

So lotus was the most improved team this weekend. Grosjean doesnt get enough love as a driver. McLaren is such a shit team, I'm kinda happy they fucked up 2012 causing Lewis to bail the fuck out of there.
I honestly think the long term prospects are promising. The team was in bad need of a restructuring which is now done. They have key aero people coming in. Honda is an unknown but we can see how important it is for a team to have works status. Problem is short/medium term the team are in the shit, this car is a relic of people that have been moved out of the team.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Alonso said that some upgrades did work, some did not and others made similar or even bigger step forward, so they are where they are and all hopes are on Canada upgrade.

Monaco could be very painful for Ferrari fans.

At press conference after Q:

Rosberg : "I hate finishing 2nd to Lewis"
Lewis: "You said that already".

Everyone is always looking.
But where would RBR go? They want preferential Treatment, and wont get that from MER or FER. So they could maybe wait how HON does next year and go from there.
But in reality, they are just lighting a fire under REN´s ass.

RBR is stupid. They should thank Renault for the 4 WCC they won because Newey's packaging would likely not have worked with a Ferrari or Mercedes V8. On top of that, the Renault V8 was much more frugal and Renault prepared some amazing cold blowing engine maps.

As you said, it's just about lighting a fire under Renault's ass. No way would they accept to play second fiddle to any other works team..

FuturusX

At press conference after Q:

Rosberg : "I hate finishing 2nd to Lewis"
Lewis: "You said that already".

Ouch...It's true though. Rosberg needs to spend less time complaining about how much he hates coming 2nd. We get it. Nobody his questioning hunger....but perhaps his own?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Interesting Peter Windsor video about old Barcelona street circut on Montjuic, where races were in the 70s. Until tragic 1975 GP, when even before the race some drivers said it is simply too dangerous and Emerson Fittipaldi boycotted the race. During the race, Rolf Stommelen went off track and killed five spectators.

RoKKeR

Just woke up to check the results. Loldonado, great job on Grosjean, happy to see Bottas in 4th (podium!!) and Ferrari seems to be struggling still.

Probably going to DVR the race and then watch it as soon as I wake up so as to miss spoilers and what not.

FuturusX

He's not making statements, just answering what people ask him.

Semantics aside....he's starting to sound like a broken record.

On the podium interviews and qualifying interview room. It's always the same.

"I hate being behind Lewis...I hate coming second".

rosberg showing that mental weakness, dat intelligence - hammy has totally got his number. with this current merc car he's got a free pass to the championship and a guaranteed 15 wins this season with nico as his team mate.

pray to the gods that alonso or vettel moves to mercedes next season.

AcridMeat

Banned
Interesting Peter Windsor video about old Barcelona street circut on Montjuic, where races were in the 70s. Until tragic 1975 GP, when even before the race some drivers said it is simply too dangerous and Emerson Fittipaldi boycotted the race. During the race, Rolf Stommelen went off track and killed five spectators.
Excellent thanks.

What happened to Magnussen? Happy for Bottas and Kimi.

NHale

rosberg showing that mental weakness, dat intelligence - hammy has totally got his number. with this current merc car he's got a free pass to the championship and a guaranteed 15 wins this season with nico as his team mate.

pray to the gods that alonso or vettel moves to mercedes next season.

Completely. I believe his "2nd place celebration" at Bahrain after the end of the race was something you don't expect from someone that truly believes to be a superior driver. He should have been pissed. Would anyone think Hamilton, Alonso or Vettel would react like that after being beat while having the better equipment for 10 laps? Not a chance.

Despite being the leader of the championship, Nico Rosberg looks a lot like Barrichello in the Brawn year. What a disappointment.

BlazeGaj

Neo Member
Vettel gets a 5 place penalty for changing gearbox.
https://twitter.com/redbullracing/status/465173747331502080

Ham is blazing really happy for him. Dislike Red Bull but really happy for Ric.

Speaking of the past I used to hate Ferrari and Michael with passion for the things they did FIA used to be Ferrari assistance it was huge turn off never though I would now want Ferrari to do well also I liked schumacher when he came back as well. I remember being really annoyed by the amount of DNF Kimi got in Mclaren. My fav drivers went from Hakkinen to Kimi to Hamilton.

olore

untitled-74ujt7.gif

untitled-99tkw7.gif

Haha perfect :)

Watching the recap from last years race. Hamilton had a distrasous outing. Simply plumetted through the field from P2 on the grid. Horrible.

Massa

Semantics aside....he's starting to sound like a broken record.

On the podium interviews and qualifying interview room. It's always the same.

"I hate being behind Lewis...I hate coming second".

For sure that happens with everything in this sport. I don't follow press conferences or anything like that because it bores me to tears, just the same shallow questions and answers over and over again.

Q: Why aren't you winning races?

Q: Why are your cars not fast enough?

FuturusX

Australia: Hamilton 1st, Rosberg 3rd
Malaysia: Hamilton 1st, Rosberg 3rd
Bahrain: Rosberg 1st, Hamilton 2nd
China: Hamilton 1st, Rosberg 4th
Spain: Hamilton 1st, Rosberg 2nd

Hamilton has been quick this year. The results speak for themselves*

*Wet weather hasn't helped him obviously

Mastah

Jennie Gow ‏@JennieGow 47m

Big shout out to my fellow pit lane reporter today who asked a certain crasher 'if the wall was to blame, was it too close?' #takeabow

LOL

Ferrari and McLaren beaten by Lotus - no wonder top teams don't want cost cap or different money prize share. If Lotus, Force India or Sauber got that special 100 million payment Ferrari receives every year, they would embarrass the likes of Macca and Fezza.

Shaneus

I completely missed the quali... what's the story there? Someone getting a drivethrough or something?

Don't worry, I'll read over the last few pages to see if I can grasp it, but man... from what I can gather, not great for Vettel at all.

Also, I missed a quali with Sunhi in full flight? Damn :(

Ricciardo warming my heart with each lap
In what context was this posted in? Was it just because Danny was pushing the hell out of the RBR, or only because he was beating Vettel pre-failure?

the gap between Nico and Lewis when they are both putting the hammer down seems to be 2 tens of a second or thereabouts in favour of Lewis. Nico has nothing to be ashamed of. Lewis is the best driver in the field right now and Nico is what, a couple tenths down on Lewis, thats quite alright.
But I never, for one second, believed Rosberg to be the title favourite going into the season and every argument I read in favour of that heaped hopes and prayers on Nico and dismissed the facts about Lewis, which is that he had a proven record of elite drives. A record far more impressive than Rosbergs

Completely. I believe his "2nd place celebration" at Bahrain after the end of the race was something you don't expect from someone that truly believes to be a superior driver. He should have been pissed. Would anyone think Hamilton, Alonso or Vettel would react like that after being beat while having the better equipment for 10 laps? Not a chance.

Despite being the leader of the championship, Nico Rosberg looks a lot like Barrichello in the Brawn year. What a disappointment.
I thought he was pissed at Bahrain, he just tried to put on a brave face. He didnt even try to hide his annoyance in China though and I quite liked the honesty of it

I always expected Hamilton to handily deal with Rosberg in qualifying, but what I never expected is how easily he's been dealing with him in the race.

Ark

the gap between Nico and Lewis when they are both putting the hammer down seems to be 2 tens of a second or thereabouts in favour of Lewis. Nico has nothing to be ashamed of. Lewis is the best driver in the field right now and Nico is what, a couple tenths down on Lewis, thats quite alright.
But I never, for one second, believed Rosberg to be the title favourite going into the season and every argument I read in favour of that heaped hopes and prayers on Nico and dismissed the facts about Lewis, which is that he had a proven record of elite drives. A record far more impressive than Rosbergs

It's certainly more than that.

Yagami_Sama

It seems that hoping for a 5th place for Button was quite a dream. I think that I need to wish that they finish in top ten.

I don't know what kind of problem Magnussen had, but it seems that MacLaren improvements still under development.

It's certainly more than that.

Its been like that for all the qualifying session minus Bahrain, which Nico won, and China, when Nico went off the track and compromised his flying lap. Obviously 20 or so laps with both drivers pushing the car to the limit equals seconds of advantage for Lewis. But Im talking about a singular lap.

Hamilton will probably break every record for a single season this year.

I would personally love to see that. Hamilton is a great driver and deserves more records in his cv

Vettel got it easy, and this year just proves it. He's no where near the league of the top drivers, he simply had a perfect car.

Yagami_Sama

I would personally love to see that. Hamilton is a great driver and deserves more records in his cv

Vettel got it easy, and this year just proves it. He's no where near the league of the top drivers, he simply had a perfect car.

Once I said almost the exact thing to some co-workers and they stop talking about F1 with me.

Once I said almost the exact thing to some co-workers and they stop talking about F1 with me.

Bleh. I know it's pretty common but I can't stand blind loyalty and fanaticism for a team or racer (player) in any sport.

Of course you should have emotions. I'm a Hamilton is an amazing racer, and has really entertained us but my support for him is mostly emotional - he's British, first (half) black F1 driver and honestly I just loved how burst onto the scene in 2007.

However, I'm not blind to his flaws, I really don't care about his girlfriend and all that other shit and I certainly don't have some idealised image of the guy.

I am also a fan of Button for his character but I don't confuse that with him being on the same level as Alonso and Hamilton, I disliked Alonso during time at McLaren but I have come to realise and celebrate his incredible talent.

This is how it should be.

Razgreez

In what context was this posted in? Was it just because Danny was pushing the hell out of the RBR, or only because he was beating Vettel pre-failure?

It's in the context of him being the kind of driver I enjoy watching grow. Got into a heated discussion with a friend, during the 2012 season, regarding him (Ricciardo) being real championship material. I had also stated multiple times before the beginning of this season (even in this very thread) that it seemed illogical to pair him with Vettel since he is a "properly quick" driver and could potentially cause all sorts mental gymnastics for Vettel. When your team is doing well you wan't as much stability as possible and adding a driver who is potentially faster than your No. 1 to the team is unwise.

My sentiments are proving true thus far. Be that as it may I'm a Mercedes supporter so RB's decision has been great for both Mercedes as well as Daniel - not so much for their team in totality though

I think writing off Vettel at this point is a bit silly. He clearly developed his driving style to fit the ridiculous amount of downforce that the old Red Bull had. More than that, it's a whole different story getting motivated to finish third when you've just come off a season where you won 9 in a row vs a season where your best finish was 7th place.

Dead Man

Probably not going to be able to watch the race today, not expecting great things though. I'll catch a replay to see how Danny Ricky does, that's about all I'm interested in this year I think. Feels bad to have a passion for a sport I have followed for almost 30 years fade away :(

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Just watched onboard from Kimi's car and Lewis pole lap. Ferrari looks so sluggish at acceleration out of the corners - that would be indicator that their power distribution issues are still present.

Weather will be a bit colder today, overcast went over the track during the night and even some rain damped the circut.

Oh, and Rosberg signed contract extension until the end of 2016 season.

Feels bad to have a passion for a sport I have followed for almost 30 years fade away :(

Tell me about it. I'm going to Spa and between the engine noise loss and the utter domination of the Mercs I'm finding it very hard to get excited about it. Only the DR / Vettel battle is holding any intrigue right now for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom