• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbuktu

What's the point of them producing the top flagship roadcars and let their teams ruin their brand on track?

It does says something that all the teammates at paired together at the finish for so many of the teams.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
It is quite incredible for both drivers to end within one second after 66 laps. Mercedes created a monster this year, to beat second best team for 50 seconds and lap almost entire field on one of more demanding circuts?
Mercedes lapping Ferrari.

Yeah, they certainly made good progress. LdM is the ultimate muppet. I think that their Canada upgrade is more like stuff from fantasy books

Bottas made miracle with his car today, compared to Felipe, who wandered into some other dimension. Bottas is mopping the floor with Felipe this season...

dalin80

Banned
Almost perfect from merc, just need to tighten up those pit stops lewis lost too much time off the track and the strategy a little, that last stop was a couple of laps too early.

It's odd how through a whole race everyone was talking about nico going faster then hamilton yet he still finished the same distance behind as when they started off the grid! I don't know for sure when lewis went faster but it certainly counted.

Ve1ocity

untitled-44ljp9.gif

looooooooooooool oh my god, this is amazing Nico tried to drown him xD

Addnan

Heh, said both Lotus would finish ahead of both McLaren today with the chance of Maldonado killing someone. Close enough I think.

f0rk

So Lewis is clearly much better at watching the fuel useage, but is that an advantage? Unless they give him less to start, won't he be heavier towards the end of the race? It seems Rosburg being closer to the red/green cross over line is better unless I'm missing something.

dalin80

Banned
So Lewis is clearly much better at watching the fuel useage, but is that an advantage? Unless they give him less to start, won't he be heavier towards the end of the race? It seems Rosburg being closer to the red/green cross over line is better unless I'm missing something.

Three options come to mind

He started lighter but that would come with a fair power penalty every lap.
He was saving it for end to banzai the last few laps like bahrain but the tyres didn't last well enough to push much harder on.
He was just cruising and saving the engine as much as possible.

3 seems unlikely as sloppy pit work put nico too close. 2 would be my guess.

Addnan

You can't really save lots of fuel and then go really hard at the end otherwise the fuel flow rate would go too high right?

Rosberg should rather try to undercut Hamilton the next time instead of trying to overtake him in the last laps. The aerodynamics of the car just takes a too big hit if trying to overtake the same car.

Addnan

Rosberg should rather try to undercut Hamilton the next time instead of trying to overtake him in the last laps. The aerodynamics of the car just takes a too big hit if trying to overtake the same car.

Only Ferrari would let the second car pit first to allow something like that.

dalin80

Banned
You can't really save lots of fuel and then go really hard at the end otherwise the fuel flow rate would go too high right?

You have a margin to play with but it isn't much. I'm starting to think he started the race lighter.. Although I can't see why merc would make such a large difference between them.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Running in clean air also helps with fuel use - this is why Lewis had lower consumption, Nico drove in his wake (2 second gap) almost all the race.

The main thing is - Mercedes did widen advantage gap over competition. Red Bull and Lotus made progress, Williams also to some extent (Bottas), Ferrari is where they were.

Two day testing is scheduled in Barcelona for this week. Weather could play important role.

dalin80

Banned
Running in clean air also helps with fuel use - this is why Lewis had lower consumption, Nico drove in his wake (2 second gap) almost all the race.

I think the gap was a bit more then that most of the to be honest. Probably around 3.5/4s

Will try to remember to check once the data is up on mclarens site.

Leunam

Two seconds is the minimum gap you need to be behind someone while still being in clean air. You can do more obviously.

Deadman

He was asked who made the decision for him to pit after alonso: him, alonso or the team?

"I dont know"

He was asked if he would have wanted to pit first.

He walked away.

Nicktendo86

What is going to change by having McLaren and Ferrari, lol?
Competition from classic teams who have had no success and might inject a bit of excitement/passion.

Ron apparently said on the grid they are going in a different direction with the mp4-29 now and will take time to show, I think it is obvious now they went the wrong way with the silly gimmick suspension and are reverting to a regular design, but it will take time as the whole car needs to be redesigned.

Also rumoured to have a car made up for Honda to test after the British gp testing. Apparently want yo find why the merc engine isn't working as well and rectify before problems occur next year. Merc are shitting themselves that into has got to Honda, even though they take the engines off McLaren after each gp.

NHale

Poor Nico failed again like in Bahrain. Fresher and better tyre for the final stint and he failed to overtake his teammate. Might as well start crying because big bad boy Hamilton is better than him.

The only way Nico finishes ahead of Hamilton is if Hamilton DNFs 2 times more than Nico for the rest of the season.

What I can't understand is why Hamilton spent the entire race questioning his race engineer and tactics. This is exactly what Alonso did in his famous McLaren year. Does Hamilton suspect Mercedes is favoring the German driver?

Vettel is closing in on Alonso in the points. It would be so funny if Vettel would still beat him at the end of the season.

Why wouldn't he? Do you really think Ferrari is near RBR?

Vettel was in a very good mood in that post race interview with BBC. I'm glad that things are looking on the up for him.

You'd have to feel pretty good about it, given how things started for him.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see him doing additional pitstops in other races. He seems to like putting in the qualifying laps without having to baby his tyres too much.

What I can't understand is why Hamilton spent the entire race questioning his race engineer and tactics. This is exactly what Alonso did in his famous McLaren year. Does Hamilton suspect Mercedes is favoring the German driver?

Doubtful, he was annoyed that the team messed up his pitstop and that the adjustments to his wing caused him oversteer concerns. He also questioned why he was brought in when his lap times were still good. That and what he felt was a lack of communication from his race engineers.

It's important to question decisions than just to accept them when you don't understand the rationale and it hasn't been properly explained to you. I think it's way too early to start suggesting that Lewis thinks there's a conspiracy against him particularly when he's been performing better than his teammate the whole season and has a points lead. Aside from that one DNF he'd probably have a big lead over Nico right now. Alonso was pissed because a Rookie was outperforming him. Lewis has no such concern.

hamchan

Did Maldonado blame anyone yet?

Yes

Crash not down to driver error - Maldonado
Read more at
http://www.espn.co.uk/spain/motorsport/story/157553.html

Though not sure exactly what the issue was Maldonado is convinced an issue with the tyres was the likely culprit.

"We have been having a look," Maldonado said. "I think it was something to do with tyre temperature or pressure. It was severe, the car just skated. It's a very fast corner. When I had the chance I went over the green part which is more slippery and I even lost more of the car over there, and that was it.

"We don't know, the engineers are still looking at the data. It was at the exit of the corner. We don't know exactly why I was all over the place. They think it is related to the temperatures, especially the rears."

Razgreez

Doubtful, he was annoyed that the team messed up his pitstop and that the adjustments to his wing caused him oversteer concerns. He also questioned why he was brought in when his lap times were still good. That and what he felt was a lack of communication from his race engineers.

It's important to question decisions than just to accept them when you don't understand the rationale and it hasn't been properly explained to you. I think it's way too early to start suggesting that Lewis thinks there's a conspiracy against him particularly when he's been performing better than his teammate the whole season and has a points lead. Aside from that one DNF he'd probably have a big lead over Nico right now. Alonso was pissed because a Rookie was outperforming him. Lewis has no such concern.

Hamilton was done in a number of times due to poor team decision making at mclaren. He's learnt that, depending on the situation, the driver is often the best one to be making the decisions

Business

Both Bottas and Kimi got fucked over because of the team strategy.

Oh well.

I don't understand their lack of pace with the new tyres though. They both stayed on the low 31's even in the first couple of laps with fresh tyres while Vettel and Alonso went to 29's or 30's just after pitting. Ok Vettel has a Red Bull and Bottas a Williams but still considering the laps all 4 were doing previously, it is surprising.

dalin80

Banned
Hamilton was done in a number of times due to poor team decision making at mclaren. He's learnt that, depending on the situation, the driver is often the best one to be making the decisions

He lost his championship in his first year as the team insisted that his down to canvas tyres were good enough to drive in the rain.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Felipe managed 342.8 km/h on speed trap

Looks like Kimi is truly pissed off about that strategy decision

I think Lewis had a right to be angry in the race. On the final stint they brought him in early despite him having decent speed, and Nico had been complaining about graining and had lost a lot of time on the final lap of Lewis' stint. If Lewis had held firm for one more lap and forced Nico to stay on those tyres for an extra lap it would not have been so close. Then there were the awful fucking pit stops which lost him 2.3s relative to Nico's stops. It did feel like Lewis was having to work against the team's decisions today to get the win, it's very important that he has Niki Lauda in his corner, in his place I would be holding a meeting with Toto this week that the race leader gets the best strategy, and bringing him in a lap early so they could pit Nico earlier was not acceptable.

Right now it feels like this could become an Alonso vs Hamilton situation but with Lewis in the Alonso role.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it and connecting things that ought not to be connected, but as a fan of Lewis, I don't want to see Mercedes try and play silly buggers and hold Lewis back to ensure Nico doesn't fall behind too much. There was enough of that at McLaren.

TCRS

Banned
lolol when the team in the box was celebrating lewis and chanting "lewis, lewis" nico took his trophy, climbed on the pit wall and had the fans shout "nico, nico" lool. psychological warfare is full on.

Competition from classic teams who have had no success and might inject a bit of excitement/passion.

Ron apparently said on the grid they are going in a different direction with the mp4-29 now and will take time to show, I think it is obvious now they went the wrong way with the silly gimmick suspension and are reverting to a regular design, but it will take time as the whole car needs to be redesigned.

What are "classic" teams? Ferrari of the 2010s is much, much different from the one which dominated the early 2000s, and let's not even compare to the team of the 1950s; McLaren of the 2010s is much, much different from the one which had a good run from 2005-2008, and in the late 1980s and 1990s. Williams... let's not even go there.

The only similar things at this point are the team's names. Williams, right now, is as irrelevant (or relevant) as Force India. And McLaren is not that far higher on the relevance scale at the moment.

Razgreez

I think Lewis had a right to be angry in the race. On the final stint they brought him in early despite him having decent speed, and Nico had been complaining about graining and had lost a lot of time on the final lap of Lewis' stint. If Lewis had held firm for one more lap and forced Nico to stay on those tyres for an extra lap it would not have been so close. Then there were the awful fucking pit stops which lost him 2.3s relative to Nico's stops. It did feel like Lewis was having to work against the team's decisions today to get the win, it's very important that he has Niki Lauda in his corner, in his place I would be holding a meeting with Toto this week that the race leader gets the best strategy, and bringing him in a lap early so they could pit Nico earlier was not acceptable.

Right now it feels like this could become an Alonso vs Hamilton situation but with Lewis in the Alonso role.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it and connecting things that ought not to be connected, but as a fan of Lewis, I don't want to see Mercedes try and play silly buggers and hold Lewis back to ensure Nico doesn't fall behind too much. There was enough of that at McLaren.

I don't believe the situation is similar to the Alonso-Hamilton saga in that neither of these drivers is deemed to be "senior" in any respects. It is similar from an over-all perspective in that Mercedes, like RB and Ferrari, have the headache of trying to keep 2 very fast drivers happy at the same time. An impossible task if history is anything to go by

He lost his championship in his first year as the team insisted that his down to canvas tyres were good enough to drive in the rain.

Perhaps it was fitting that he did not win the championship that season though after all, nobody wants the "cheater" tag hanging around the neck of their first (and thus far only) championship

Juicy Bob

Overtaking stats

This year, there were 32 overtaking moves during the Spanish GP. The second-lowest amount over the last five years.

2010: 10
2011: 60
2012: 38
2013: 50
2014: 32

Just seen the highlights of the race on BBC Three. Very little in the way of excitement outside of the finish really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom