• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draconian

Driver input probably equates to 0.3% of overall design input, the drivers aren't the problem, it's the engineers and aerodynamicists, and that's something which Ronbo and King Eric are fixing.

McLaren will win a race this year.

Is that last comment a joke? They can't even finish in the points on a regular basis. Williams and Force India have a much better chance of winning a race than McLaren do.

Dilly

Banned
Driver input probably equates to 0.3% of overall design input, the drivers aren't the problem, it's the engineers and aerodynamicists, and that's something which Ronbo and King Eric are fixing.

Before or after PD releases the Senna content?

andshrew

I don't think it's so easy to put a value on the driver. With Hamilton for 6 consecutive years they won races every season and had strong in-season development. They end 2012 with the fastest car and since then have been no absolutely no where. They're starting to look completely lost again this year which is really disappointing after Aus.

They desperately need a 'superstar' driver back in their line-up.

Man, you guys are hard on Jenson.
Monaco 2004, Hungary 06, Montreal 2011, Japan 2011.Jenson can put together some great drives, certainly enough to be afforded some respect

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Maybe he will get his grip when he marries Jessica later this year

Nico is also getting married this August

Ark

RBRJI.gif

I am prepared to eat crow later in the year if they can pull a 2009.

Pimpwerx

Monaco 2004, Hungary 06, Montreal 2011, Japan 2011.Jenson can put together some great drives, certainly enough to be afforded some respect
Benson is a pedestrian driver. The championship he won was in a car retired Rubens would've won in. McLaren has been going backwards since he joined. Hamilton fans were thought to be bitter or resentful for saying it, but it's the truth. He held Lewis and McLaren back. Whitmarsh was the muppet many of us called him out to be, and now he's sacked. Button is the last remaining weak cog from that regime. Mac hitched their wagon to a certified donkey while everyone else is fielding thoroughbreds. PEACE.

Is that last comment a joke? They can't even finish in the points on a regular basis. Williams and Force India have a much better chance of winning a race than McLaren do.

williams and force india have maximum engine performance from using petronas fuel

once the big update is on the car and mobil 1 deliver a new fuel mix mcLaren will win and handsomely beat williams and force India in the constructors championship

Before or after PD releases the Senna content?

after some of the senna content is being released this week

lotus 97t
some shit go kart
80's versions of monza and brands hatch

I don't think it's so easy to put a value on the driver. With Hamilton for 6 consecutive years they won races every season and had strong in-season development. They end 2012 with the fastest car and since then have been no absolutely no where.

so mclaren are now shit because hammy is no longer there saying 'it needs more grip, man' ?

Button is the last remaining weak cog from that regime.

whitmarsh didn't sign button

ron dennis did after he found out whitmarsh was going to sign heidfeld for the 2010 season

Ark

didn't sign button

ron dennis did after he found out whitmarsh was going to sign heidfeld for the 2010 season

Sources please. Everything I've ever read about that had Heidfeld pegged for the extra seat at McLaren for most of the year until Button won the title, at which point they changed their minds and went with the Champion.

i can't remember if it was the jan or feb edition of f1 racing magazine, but here's a crop of the mclaren / ron dennis piece i posted in the off season thread:

ijep7alnvxrl.jpg

in ronbo we trust :bow

Ark

To be honest I don't think Ron is much of a step-up from Whitmarsh any more, he'd probably be better off staying out of it and giving Boullier the resources to replicate what he did at Lotus but on a larger scale.

RoKKeR

Caught up with the race yesterday, pretty boring overall but fun finish with Rosberg coming for Hamilton. As long as he keeps the competition up then we'll at least be in for a few interesting battles up front.

Fantastic drive by Vettel, wow. So impressed with him working up the field, good to see after he's been fairly stagnant this year. Sad he passed Bottas in the end, though. Otherwise, happy to see Bottas up in 5th.

Though I have noticed Williams seems to have problems in the long run? They always start great for the first stint or so but then really fall back afterwards. What is that? Poor tyre management/fuel strategy? Still new to following the sport so I'm unsure of why they seem to lose it. Massa really fell of at the end.

Also I can't believe the Silver Arrows lapped Raikkonen on the last lap, fucking unbelievable how much more pace they have than the rest of the field.

Nicktendo86

I'm with waxy on this one, they will win a race or get very close. The car will have basically a b spec and will be much improved.
god I hope anyway

Benson is a pedestrian driver. The championship he won was in a car retired Rubens would've won in. McLaren has been going backwards since he joined. Hamilton fans were thought to be bitter or resentful for saying it, but it's the truth. He held Lewis and McLaren back. Whitmarsh was the muppet many of us called him out to be, and now he's sacked. Button is the last remaining weak cog from that regime. Mac hitched their wagon to a certified donkey while everyone else is fielding thoroughbreds. PEACE.
Your definition of pedestrian certainly isnt mine. if he was that, why is his career marked with demonstrations of him putting together a superlative drive in races that had unpredictable weather. The man has an exceptional knack for figuring out where the grip is in the wet. I gave you specific examples, like Hungary 2006 and in 2011 or Montreal in that same year. Never mind the Brawn championship year, which I never mentioned.

malyce

I'm with waxy on this one, they will win a race or get very close. The car will have basically a b spec and will be much improved.
god I hope anyway

What are the chances of both Silver Arrows, both Red Bulls and Alonso having mechanical failures in the same race? We'll also pretend that Hulkenberg, Checo and Bottas all come down with malaria that weekend. Then just maybe, McLaren could snatch a podium.

Pimpwerx

Your definition of pedestrian certainly isnt mine. if he was that, why is his career marked with demonstrations of him putting together a superlative drive in races that had unpredictable weather. The man has an exceptional knack for figuring out where the grip is in the wet. I gave you specific examples, like Hungary 2006 and in 2011 or Montreal in that same year. Never mind the Brawn championship year, which I never mentioned.
Given that only 4-6 drivers a season get to drive a car capable of winning a race, you're pointing out a small number of races in an extremely long career, whereas the likes of Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel tally that number of great drives in a single season. Plus, those conditions are rare. And we're not even sure he's better than everyone at figuring that stuff out, just better than Lewis.

Ruben has amassed more memorable drives than Benson. Hockenheim 01 alone shames anything Button's done. Yet, we'd rate Rubens as pedestrian. Ditto for Coulthard, who's also had as many great drives as Jenson. Understand I have had this opinion for years. Jenson came into what was still a good Williams team. Did nothing there, while it crumbled. Became a headline driver at BAR for god knows what reason, and outside of that one win, where he showed good form, the team was going nowhere. It took Brawn's diffuser to get him a title, and since then nothing.

McLaren was good when he got there, and wonderboy Whitmarsh proceeded to compromise a fast car repeatedly to accommodate Button, who's style is simply slower. That's the galling part. Developing a car to accommodate a slower style. Fuck all that. Was so happy for Lewis just to escape that disaster. The dominance this season is a nice bonus. Lewis' entry to both teams coincided with their emergence as contenders. I don't think it's a coincidence. Button's entry has coincided with a decline each time. I don't think that's a coincidence either. PEACE.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Though I have noticed Williams seems to have problems in the long run? They always start great for the first stint or so but then really fall back afterwards. What is that? Poor tyre management/fuel strategy? Still new to following the sport so I'm unsure of why they seem to lose it. Massa really fell of at the end.

They have problems with rear tyres, when car starts to get lighter and looks like also car set up problems. Massa suffered from heavy graining, Bottas did not report anything similar.

Sauber will have Pirelli test day today, with Mclaren and Force India taking it up tomorrow.

Jenson is terrible in full wet, but might just be the best driver in changeable conditions... I think that's what you meant.

dalin80

Banned
Jenson is terrible in full wet, but might just be the best driver in changeable conditions... I think that's what you meant.

Personally I think that's a bit of a myth, he got a lot of credit a few years back in Australia after changing tyres first and gaining a massive advantage from it but that was a change forced onto him by burning out his tyres before anyone else and requiring a pitstop. The press heralded it as a great, intelligent decision when in reality his only other choice was to continue tumbling down the grid.

Mastah

Ferrari never fails to disappoint:

BngSYuSCIAA73Xh.jpg

After testing with damaged chassis in Bahrain, now in Spain engine blew only after 2 laps.

Nicktendo86

What are the chances of both Silver Arrows, both Red Bulls and Alonso having mechanical failures in the same race? We'll also pretend that Hulkenberg, Checo and Bottas all come down with malaria that weekend. Then just maybe, McLaren could snatch a podium.

It is a slim chance, but the car is clearly flawed and needs a new direction. The reason they have failed is the whole chain of command and way they worked was wrong under Whitmarsh, it is now being changed and the car is going to look very different in the latter part of the season.

Things change very quickly in F1, you would be foolish to write them off completely. I've been shitting on them all year and last year, but I really think they will start to sort things out soon.

Yagami_Sama

It's funny that you would put the troubled McLaren development on Button, but wont do the same for Alonso who has had more time and backing to try and right the ship at Ferrari

Is not that I am blaming him. I like his style, I just don't see that he, and many other pilots which were racing for MacLaren have this kind of skill., even Hamilton . And for some reason I see this in Alonso.

Looks like something that was lost in translation.

Bernie: "Tell that douche nozzle, Todt, to fix the exhaust sound"

Todt's secretary: "Jean, Bernie says you can fix the exhaust sound with a douche nozzle"

Pimpwerx

Hammer24

Banned
Gribkowsky second day of testimonial yesterday:
- two tries by Bernie to bribe him beforehand
- one over 10mio$, one over 80mio$
- told him he´d get the money in Singapore, as that´d be the "last safe haven" and "I know a chief of police there"
- G. thinks he did this to test the waters, read: if he´d be open to a bribe
- repeated the conversation when E. told him "I will take care of you" offering him a job in the new company
- said he did pressure E., but only in the interest of his employer BayernLB
- said he flew several times to London to drink espresso with E., and that no extortionist would do
- said E.´s weakpoint was his desire to remain the boss of F1, "I´d rather die in a puddle of gas than relinquish my F1"

Today third day of G. testimonial, first chance for E. lawyers to have a go at him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom