• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalin80

Banned
Overtaking stats

This year, there were 32 overtaking moves during the Spanish GP. The second-lowest amount over the last five years.

2010: 10
2011: 60
2012: 38
2013: 50
2014: 32

Just seen the highlights of the race on BBC Three. Very little in the way of excitement outside of the finish really.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was only the mercs in a group on their own but unfortunately the grid as a whole is quite widely spread, during the races we are mostly reliant on teammate battles, something that not every team is happy to play ball with.

Razgreez

Overtaking stats

This year, there were 32 overtaking moves during the Spanish GP. The second-lowest amount over the last five years.

2010: 10
2011: 60
2012: 38
2013: 50
2014: 32

Just seen the highlights of the race on BBC Three. Very little in the way of excitement outside of the finish really.

Not exactly a fair comparison since they have been tweaking the DRS zones over the years and the main, and only, one had been longest in 2011 with 2 zones only being utilised for the first time in 2013.

Pryce

RBR showing speed. Great drive by Vettel to get up tp 4th. Wished he had a better start to see how how close he and Daniel would have been.

Ferrari sucks, Mercedes too fast. Decent race, great final 20 laps.

also, Hamilton's got this. Rosberg has nothing on him.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Last thing Ferrari needs in this mess in which they are this year is pissed Kimi.

I can see LdM sending letters full of sweet words to chief tech people at RBR and Mercedes to try to lure them in Maranello.

Not exactly a fair comparison since they have been tweaking the DRS zones over the years and the main, and only, one had been longest in 2011 with 2 zones only being utilised for the first time in 2013.

Too difficult to compare anyway. I mean how many of those were Vettel this race? It always helps to have someone out of position.

Pimpwerx

Watched the race live, but had to jump in the shower as the checkers flew, to get to a client. Finally watched the post race. LOL, Nico is salty. I didn't see the presser yet though. About to load that up. How were the podium interviews?

Anyway, great drive by Lewis and Vettel. Vettel's drive was inspired today. I'm happy for him, given his struggles. I really never hated the guy, and respect his effort and spirit.

Lewis seemed to be out driving the team's efforts today. Holy shitty pit stops, Batman. Someone said he lose 2.3, but I thought it was more like 3.1s. I thought he lost 1.8 on the first and 1.3 on the second. In any case, it really sabotaged the gaps they asked him to maintain. Perhaps work to larger deltas to have more wiggle room. The 2s failsafe they used today isn't enough if you're going to cockup both pitstops. He also had a slow stop st the previous race. No excuse for the lead car to get that kind of treatment. The pit strategy was also weird today, but I blame that on the small delta between the two compounds. Not much the team could do there. However, they should have monitored the times better, because everyone saw Lewis still holding the requisite gap, while Nico was hating his tires. Lead car's strategy should knock back the other strategy especially if the second car is on harder and fresher tires. That's something they need to work out for the future. PEACE.

He lost his championship in his first year as the team insisted that his down to canvas tyres were good enough to drive in the rain.

Mclaren also forbade him from taking the fight to Fernando at Monaco.
Anyway, Im liking a "nothing to lose" Vettel and his driving quite a lot. That mindset should yield more fireworks between Ricciardo and him.
Also, I really need the inside story on why Alonso was allowed to undercut Kimi when he didnt have track position.

Shaneus

What are "classic" teams? Ferrari of the 2010s is much, much different from the one which dominated the early 2000s, and let's not even compare to the team of the 1950s; McLaren of the 2010s is much, much different from the one which had a good run from 2005-2008, and in the late 1980s and 1990s. Williams... let's not even go there.

The only similar things at this point are the team's names. Williams, right now, is as irrelevant (or relevant) as Force India. And McLaren is not that far higher on the relevance scale at the moment.
I've said it once and I'll say it again: I'd love to see the Brabham name on a team again, regardless of it's ties to any of the actual Brabhams.

Yagami_Sama

I just watched the replay of the race.
What the heck happened with Button? That start was so bad...
This season might be worst than the last one, both cars did not make in the points. I don't know what is happening with Magnussen, but things are tough for him, even
when Perez was racing for MacLaren, he did some good races.
Tough luck.

And now Rosberg, realized the he is number 2. I hope that he doesn't freak out and start messing up things.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Yagami_sama, check this from F1Fanatic

Too bad that Lewis didn't have his sunglasses on the podium, because this picture is so #swag #myfavouriteneighbour

1509777_10152041964962411_7710693503969748596_n.jpg

For the first time in this season, Mercedes did not posted fastest lap - Vettel did in lap 55, but this is all due fresh tyres after 3rd stop.
And biggest difference between Mercedes drivers was 4.86 seconds in lap 46

dalin80

Banned
Not if he gets his super licence taken away he won't.

The old man is rich enough to bribe monaco, putting the right money into place for the FIA won't be tricky. After all bent bernie is still the main figure in the sport so they are perfectly happy with dodgy dealings.

Nicktendo86

I just watched the replay of the race.
What the heck happened with Button? That start was so bad...
This season might be worst than the last one, both cars did not make in the points. I don't know what is happening with Magnussen, but things are tough for him, even
when Perez was racing for MacLaren, he did some good races.
Tough luck.

And now Rosberg, realized the he is number 2. I hope that he doesn't freak out and start messing up things.
Mp4-29 is a shit box probably even slower than last years car. They have dropped the ball, hard. Only things it had going for it is drivability and is relatively planted. Looks clear that they went in the wrong development direction, probably why the old head of aero was sacked. Ron has said that they are now going in a new direction which will take time to see on the car. Won't be surprised if the silly gimmick suspension is gone soon. I expect the car to improve second half of the season but until then will be painful to watch.

Mp4-29 is a shit box probably even slower than last years car. They have dropped the ball, hard. Only things it had going for it is drivability and is relatively planted. Looks clear that they went in the wrong development direction, probably why the old head of aero was sacked. Ron has said that they are now going in a new direction which will take time to see on the car. Won't be surprised if the silly gimmick suspension is gone soon. I expect the car to improve second half of the season but until then will be painful to watch.

It only appears to be planted because it's plain slow

Mohonky

The team went downhill the second Button joined and they started putting their eggs in his basket. Button is not a championship winning driver, he got gifted a rocketship compared to the rest of the field in 09 and struggled to better Hamilton at his very worst. With him at the helm of development and only newcomers to compare, they are in development hell.

They need to piss Button off and get some one who can drive a car, actually push and drive a car that isnt perfect before they start moving forward. With Button all they get is pissing and moaning the car isnt perfectly balanced, Hamilton could take a less than perfect car and really wrestle the performance out of it, Button? He just cant do it.

Nicktendo86

It only appears to be planted because it's plain slow
Sorry but I don't agree, cars as slow (torro rosso, Ferrari are not that much faster) has rear end sliding more. You can see not as much correction is needed on the wheel. Granted however that MIGHT be due in part to the drivability of the merc engine.

As for button, I have to agree. They need a world class driver like Hamilton who can guide development.

The team went downhill the second Button joined and they started putting their eggs in his basket. Button is not a championship winning driver, he got gifted a rocketship compared to the rest of the field in 09 and struggled to better Hamilton at his very worst. With him at the helm of development and only newcomers to compare, they are in development hell.

They need to piss Button off and get some one who can drive a car, actually push and drive a car that isnt perfect before they start moving forward. With Button all they get is pissing and moaning the car isnt perfectly balanced, Hamilton could take a less than perfect car and really wrestle the performance out of it, Button? He just cant do it.

As for button, I have to agree. They need a world class driver like Hamilton who can guide development.

Bu bu bu word championship title! Beat Hamilton!

Button is and always has been a loser. He can only drive perfect cars. Vettel showed in Spain that he has the ability to drive less than optimal cars, Lewis did it time amd again with the 2009 McLaren and Alonso dragged Ferarri into a competitive position for too many years.

People with this opinion used to get ridiculed, but now it is pretty clear that McLaren need to get rid of Button and get in a top driver tonget their development back on track.

Mastah

Keep racking them up Pastor, hope you are kicked out before you kill someone.

Don't think so:

WILLIAMS RACINGVerified account ‏@WilliamsRacing

Jean Todt is here presenting an award from the F.I.A to @Pastormaldo honouring his success as a Venezuelan driver

BLH9hNpCIAAnFhv.jpg:large

He got away twice with crashing into competitors on purpose and then, as you can see, even got award from Todt in 2013. Money talks, as usual.

Nicktendo86

Don't think so:

Haha you couldn't make it up. He will have to kill someone to get kicked out won't he.

Have to agree Zomg. You have to say part of McLaren's downfall is relying too much on wind tunnel/computers/simulator work backed up by Button's input, which is leading the team in the wrong direction. He seems so embedded into the team though, I don't get it.

Finally finished watching the race. I ended up watching the TSN feed, but I suspect the camera work was part of every feed. Final lap, Hamilton and Roseberg approaching turn 10, where there could possibly have been some sort of move, camera man cuts to Mercedes garage to have a 5 second shot of some random blonde. Jesus fucking christ, how dumb are these TV producers? Worthless.

The race was ok, glad to see Rosberg at least keeping this Mercedes murder-fest interesting.

Bu bu bu word championship title! Beat Hamilton!

Button is and always has been a loser. He can only drive perfect cars. Vettel showed in Spain that he has the ability to drive less than optimal cars, Lewis did it time amd again with the 2009 McLaren and Alonso dragged Ferarri into a competitive position for too many years.

People with this opinion used to get ridiculed, but now it is pretty clear that McLaren need to get rid of Button and get in a top driver tonget their development back on track.
Button should to Le Mans, his driving style would suit the type of racing. The most likely replacement would be Grosjean, since I believe Boullier is his manager. Hulkenberg would be another good choice but they should have got him instead of Perez and that might play on his mind.

Leunam

Hulkenberg would have done poorly in last years McLaren, and his stock would have taken a hit, just like Perez.

McLaren are grooming Vandoorne for a seat. If Button leaves next year we'll probably see a Magnussen/Vandoorne team.

jey_16

Banned
McLaren are grooming Vandoorne for a seat. If Button leaves next year we'll probably see a Magnussen/Vandoorne team.

That would be the worst lineup in the field.....Mclaren need a top line driver, the problem is they are all tied up in long term contracts and I'm not sure they could afford one considering they still don't have a title sponsor.

If they can't get Alonso/Kimi/Hamilton/Vettel then next best would be the Hulk

mclem

Not if he gets his super licence taken away he won't.

That's a question that's sprung to mind: What happens *financially* if a super license is withdrawn? I assume it's handled in the drivers' contract, but in the case of pay drivers, you can't really meaningfully withhold their salary for lack of performance.

Jibbed

Hulkenberg would have done poorly in last years McLaren, and his stock would have taken a hit, just like Perez.

Button isn't going anywhere for 3-4 years.

He's more than just a driver for the team; he's worth millions in terms of sponsorship value, and I believe on more than one occasion he's stated he would "love to finish his Formula 1 career at McLaren". Button's also the perfect benchmark for any new driver they slot in alongside him, so even if K-Mag hangs on for another season, I would put money on the team shuffling him out in favour of Vandoorne or whoever's next rather than getting rid of a consistent, safe driver.

On a slightly out-there tangent, I wouldn't be surprised if Alonso finds himself in that 2015 McLaren-Honda with Button next season. It's quite obvious from murmurings in the paddock and Ron Dennis changing his tune that some negotiations have already taken place.

Yagami_Sama

Since last year I start to watch GP2 races, and this year in the first race of Vandoorne I thought that, if Magnussen did not have a good performance, they would promote Vandoorne, but after that race he is no doing something worth of praise.

I like Button style, but since he joined the team, somehow the development of the car seems to be always going to the wrong direction.

I hate to admit that, but Alonso is the guy to this kind of task.

Talking about the race :

“Then I came out of the pits just in front of Lewis [Hamilton], who was lapping me. He was running old tyres, while I was on fresh rubber; I had to let him past, but it delayed me a bit more.”

That was true but, without that it might ended up in 10th...

Fox Mulder

Haha you couldn't make it up. He will have to kill someone to get kicked out won't he.

Have to agree Zomg. You have to say part of McLaren's downfall is relying too much on wind tunnel/computers/simulator work backed up by Button's input, which is leading the team in the wrong direction. He seems so embedded into the team though, I don't get it.

how small is McLaren? Would making awesome cars like the P1 distract them more than Ferrari?

Nicktendo86

how small is McLaren? Would making awesome cars like the P1 distract them more than Ferrari?
I read the other day that the road car side was getting resources from the f1 side for awhile as they struggled to get the decision up and running, now it I profitable however they are concentrating back on f1. I think they deffo got distracted and Ron is sorting that out, but will take time for efforts to bear fruit.

pants

I like Button style, but since he joined the team, somehow the development of the car seems to be always going to the wrong direction.

It's funny that you would put the troubled McLaren development on Button, but wont do the same for Alonso who has had more time and backing to try and right the ship at Ferrari

Driver input probably equates to 0.3% of overall design input, the drivers aren't the problem, it's the engineers and aerodynamicists, and that's something which Ronbo and King Eric are fixing.

McLaren will win a race this year.

Razgreez

Driver input probably equates to 0.3% of overall design input, the drivers aren't the problem, it's the engineers and aerodynamicists, and that's something which Ronbo and King Eric are fixing.

McLaren will win a race this year.

I do hope you're not a betting man

As an aside, are mclaren still alternating design leads every other year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom