• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

F1 Comission in search for more of "the show" decided that from next year after Safety Car periods race will be resumed from starting grid restart:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...nder-start-nach-safety-car-phase-8416573.html

They are so obsessed with entertainment aspect of F1 it's not funny anymore. I think I'm about to bail out after almost 20 years of watching, because it's becoming a parody of sport I fell in love with.

This and adding titanium skid blocks to cars just to add sparks is ridiculous.

Juicy Bob

Standing starts after SC will never happen.

Aside from the fact that that in itself will produce more Safety Cars in itself, the cars will keep breaking down from being sat on the grid for long periods of time.

Dead Man

F1 Comission in search for more of "the show" decided that from next year after Safety Car periods race will be resumed from starting grid restart:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...nder-start-nach-safety-car-phase-8416573.html

They are so obsessed with entertainment aspect of F1 it's not funny anymore. I think I'm about to bail out after almost 20 years of watching, because it's becoming a parody of sport I fell in love with.

Jesus, that will just lead to another safety car half the time. Yes, entertaining :/

Zeknurn

Rosberg having major issues with his car and they had to take it apart.
Perez shedding body work
Ericsson stopped on track. Compete loss of electrics.

Just 20 minutes into this session.

DBT85

Mercedes and Ferrari are testing titanium skid-blocks in practice today as the first step towards reintroducing sparks to F1.

This is just daft.

I'm not sure what to think of the safety car situation yet.

Its ridiculous. Cars sitting on the grid is more likely to make them fail, cars starting from the grid is more likely to have accidents.

What they could do to safety cars is instead of allowing those that are lapped to go ALL the way around and take ages to join back up in order, just allow everyone to shuffle around once behind the safety car. It cannot be that difficult to get world class drivers and Max Chilton to get into their race order while driving around. That way the lapped cars would still be lapped and we wouldn't have to wait 7 laps to get rid of the SC.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
VETTEL!!
holy shit that was close to a massive wipe-out. Pushing way too hard into the last corner.

Then Danny does the exact same thing.

Jibbed

Its ridiculous. Cars sitting on the grid is more likely to make them fail, cars starting from the grid is more likely to have accidents.

What they could do to safety cars is instead of allowing those that are lapped to go ALL the way around and take ages to join back up in order, just allow everyone to shuffle around once behind the safety car. It cannot be that difficult to get world class drivers and Max Chilton to get into their race order while driving around. That way the lapped cars would still be lapped and we wouldn't have to wait 7 laps to get rid of the SC.

Nah, I think it works fine in it's current form apart from a bit of tweaking. If someone's a lap down and a safety car comes out, they're allowed to reclaim that lap and the process is done quickly to avoid wasting time. If they're 2 or more down, no dice.

People watch F1 to see good racing. Multiple starts from the grid are not going to promote that; it just acts as a reset button and we may as well have a 2-race format. IF however the safety car is deployed on the first 3 laps, yes I think that should be a full restart from the grid. Don't fix what ain't broken.

The FIA seems determined to rock the boat on just about every traditional aspect of the sport, whilst ignoring the glaring issues that are alienating the fans in the first place. It's a lose-lose situation.

Dead Man

They should scrap unlapping or shuffling under safety cars altogether. Lapped car between you and the leader? Too bad, they had to lap him, so should the next car have to.

Nah, I think it works fine in it's current form apart from a bit of tweaking. If someone's a lap down and a safety car comes out, they're allowed to reclaim that lap and the process is done quickly to avoid wasting time. If they're 2 or more down, no dice.

People watch F1 to see good racing. Multiple starts from the grid are not going to promote that; it just acts as a reset button and we may as well have a 2-race format. IF however the safety car is deployed on the first 3 laps, yes I think that should be a full restart from the grid. Don't fix what ain't broken.

The FIA seems determined to rock the boat on just about every traditional aspect of the sport, whilst ignoring the glaring issues that are alienating the fans in the first place. It's a lose-lose situation.

Agree completely with your second and third paragraph. Too much trying to make it 'entertainment' instead of a sport.

Jibbed

They should scrap unlapping or shuffling under safety cars altogether. Lapped car between you and the leader? Too bad, they had to lap him, so should the next car have to.

Agree completely with your second and third paragraph. Too much trying to make it 'entertainment' instead of a sport.

At the end of the day, the fans need to be entertained for the sport to thrive. Good, honest racing between the best drivers in the world should (emphasis on should) be more than enough, but clearly not for the FIA. I fear some of the older crowd involved with the key decision-making in F1 at the moment are being nostalgic about the wrong things.

Yes, the sparks were cool back in the early 90's. Yes, the starts of races are always exciting. Yes, overtaking is awesome. Yes, it's great when the title goes down to the wire. Yes, it sounded great when the cars revved to 19,000rpm.

But that doesn't mean we need to artificially re-introduce sparks, reset the grid as many times as possible, have systems such as DRS, have double points at the last race, and attach fucking trumpets to the engines to make them louder.

Hammer24

Banned
At the end of the day, the fans need to be entertained for the sport to thrive. Good, honest racing between the best drivers in the world should (emphasis on should) be more than enough, but clearly not for the FIA. I fear some of the older crowd involved with the key decision-making in F1 at the moment are being nostalgic about the wrong things.

The problem is shrinking attendance. But you try explaining Bernie that lowering the ticket prices would be the easiest way to get them up again...

Jibbed

The problem is shrinking attendance. But you try explaining Bernie that lowering the ticket prices would be the easiest way to get them up again...

If lowering ticket prices really isn't an option, then make the weekend more spectacular as a package.

Ditch the boring Porsche Supercup crap for a start, get WTCC or something akin to that racing with them on the same weekend. Organise a Saturday night kart race between the F1 grid at every Grand Prix - I've been shouting about this for a while... cheap to do, televise it, great for the fans etc.

Hammer24

Banned
If lowering ticket prices really isn't an option, then make the weekend more spectacular as a package.

Ditch the boring Porsche Supercup crap for a start, get WTCC or something akin to that racing with them on the same weekend. Organise a Saturday night kart race between the F1 grid at every Grand Prix - I've been shouting about this for a while... cheap to do, televise it, great for the fans etc.

I know, and totally agree. But everything, every proposal that would even slightly diminish Bernies bottom line, gets shot down. So no lowered prices, no investment in the weekend package - only silly ideas that don´t cost him a thing.

Mastah

After a failed attempt to make the cars louder and a bizarre experiment with artificially creating sparks, Formula 1 has announced a new, more radical plan to recapture the world’s imagination – making all the drivers look like Nigel Mansell.

‘Our investigations shows that viewers fondly remember all aspects of Formula 1 from the 1980s,’ explains F1 spokesman Wellcock Boam. ‘We’ve already brought back turbos, we’ve tried to recreate the sparks, the next logical step is to make all the drivers look like one of the most iconic drivers from that era.’

MansellFacedDrivers.jpg

more - http://sniffpetrol.com/2014/06/20/mansell-faced-plan-to-save-f1/

:D

Dilly

Banned

No wonder.

They don't bother to connect with their audience because Ecclestone still thinks social media is a fad. A weekend pass all acces for the WEC costs €40 at Francorchamps while it's easily 5 times that for a weekend ticket F1 without acces to the grand stands.

The only moment I want to see sparks is when they're actually a result of the design of the car, like it was in the groundeffect days. Not because they mounted fireworks under the floorboard.

kiyomi

Yes, the sparks were cool back in the early 90's. Yes, the starts of races are always exciting. Yes, overtaking is awesome. Yes, it's great when the title goes down to the wire. Yes, it sounded great when the cars revved to 19,000rpm.

But that doesn't mean we need to artificially re-introduce sparks, reset the grid as many times as possible, have systems such as DRS, have double points at the last race, and attach fucking trumpets to the engines to make them louder.

One of the easiest things they could do I think is rethink how FOM sets itself up and broadcasts the race weekend. When I saw the cars at Canada, the cameras are up close, in the action, and you can feel the intensity with which the drivers are carrying. That approach doesn't always work at every track though and the tighter space on the Gilles Villeneuve circuit makes it easier to make the cars look exciting, same goes for Monaco.

Fast forward to today's practice and FOM could not possibly have thought up more boring camera angles with which to film from. They make the cars look positively slow and if it weren't for the abundance of grass and trees in the general area, there are a few camera shots where you'd be hard pressed to differentiate between this circuit and any other.

It seems like one of the easiest things to fix in my mind, to find a way to broadcast the sport in a more exciting manner, and yet I have never, ever heard any member of any team or the governing bodies mention it.

A weekend pass all acces for the WEC costs €40 at Francorchamps while it's easily 5 times that for a weekend ticket F1 without acces to the grand stands.

Depends where you are. Silverstone is the worst for that shit, at €235.

Not every track does general admission, but for a lot that do, a weekend pass is not that bad in comparison to the price you have there. For instance...

US: €130
Hungary: €95
Spa: €135
Australia: €115.
Spain: €105.
Canada: €95.

Higher, but not crazy like Silverstone.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Meanwhile at roads around Graz and main roads leading to RBR Ring (payback for that canceled bookings at hotels) :D

BqbaNZBCIAA7NDo.jpg:large

Hammer24

Banned
"plan is to work together with Infinity and their cooperation with Nissan to develop an own engine within 2 or 3 years"

Translation:
"Plan is to put as much pressure on Renault as anyhow possible, and make shit up along the way to make it somehow sound plausible"

Jibbed

So that would be Nissan, the company that is 43.4% owned, and effectively controlled, by...

Renault.

It actually says the engine would be Infiniti-branded but yeah, Renault anyway.

I think the gist of it is that RBR want direct involvement in engine development (maybe even onsite?), and Renault will give them the means to do so through Nissan/Infiniti.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom