• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I know that's just straight line speeds, but they've either got ridiculous acceleration to top speed while really sucking in the corners, or the timing is a little funny.
Or they went with very low DF setting for that lap and used another car for some drag. But we will see in week time where they really are.

That 'Ferrari measuring times on different locations' probably mean that they used their own time measuring equipment in different sectors. Teams do this on regular basis and this year some of them (Mercedes and another Mercedes powered team) tried even something more- they had people with sensitive equipment on several positions around the track and they recorded engine noise from other cars. Apparently you can guess RPMs quite accurate this way.

I don't understand.

A circle is the same circumference no matter where you start measuring from.

let's assume for instance that they're "lap point" is 2 corners before the start/finish line, they can slow down before reaching it to hide their flying lap time.

On long runs, I don't think they can hide their pace.

They'll re-air the race at least once on Sunday. If your hotel has a bar/restaurant that might be your best bet. Just ask them to put it on. Otherwise find a quiet bar, or maybe better yet if you can make a determination that a nearby pub might be soccer friendly, they'll probably have it on mixed in with re-runs of the FA Cup final (same channel).

No online streams I'm afraid.

I don't like watching re-runs :( .. So I'm stuck I guess.. Can't believe I'm going to miss the season opener!!

s1_22110.jpg

#believe

I don't like watching re-runs :( .. So I'm stuck I guess.. Can't believe I'm going to miss the season opener!!

Welcome to the world of the non-European F1 fan where even when you can watch it live, you wouldn't because beauty sleep :) Sao Paulo, Montreal, and Austin are the best GPs of the year!

If you want to watch before falling asleep on lap 17, I'm sure you can find a stream somewhere however.

Welcome to the world of the non-European F1 fan where even when you can watch it live, you wouldn't because beauty sleep :) Sao Paulo, Montreal, and Austin are the best GPs of the year!

If you want to watch before falling asleep on lap 17, I'm sure you can find a stream somewhere however.

That's what I've been trying to find so far.

I don't care about sleeping

F1 > Sleeping > wife > life

That's what I've been trying to find so far.

I don't care about sleeping

F1 > Sleeping > wife > life

I must have been half asleep when I first replied, but coverage is on NBC Sports. It's still not a basic cable channel you'd find in a hotel room however. That's the bad news. The good news is they are live streaming races this year. How you'll be able to access that stream I'm not sure of yet. I'll keep my eye on it and let you know.

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.co...ming-schedule-for-2014-australian-grand-prix/

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The most interesting bets won't be about who will win in Melbourne but about who will finish in Melbourne.

Pimpwerx

Anyone know where I can find a good live timing app for android? I'm pc-free now, so for some dumb reason, the java applet won't run in my tab when I go to official live timing. I use photon browser for flash streams, but have no idea how to get live timing. Then again, I'm going to be watching most post-Melbourne races on tape delay since I decided to work Sundays now. PEACE.

Goldrusher

A little more about the new rules.

ENGINE

• new engine design
• addition of a turbocharger
• new energy recovery system
• less engines per season
• fly-by-wire rear braking​

The normally aspirated 90-degree 2.4-litre 18,000 rpm V8s were relatively uncomplicated, even with their KERS. But the new 90-degree 1.6-litre 15,000 rpm V6s are far more complex. The turbocharger reappears for the first time since 1988, but there are also two forms of energy harvesting, using two separate Motor Generator Units (MGU), which convert mechanical and heat energy to electrical energy and vice versa.

The MGU-K works like an uprated version of KERS, converting kinetic energy generated under braking into electricity (rather than it escaping as heat). It also acts as a motor under acceleration, returning power to the drivetrain from the Energy Store (ES). The MGU-H, meanwhile, is connected to the turbocharger and converts heat energy from exhaust gases into electrical energy. The energy can then be used to power the MGU-K (and thus the drivetrain) or be retained in the ES for subsequent use. The MGU-H also controls the speed of the turbo, speeding it up (to prevent turbo lag) or slowing it down in place of a more traditional wastegate.

The basic engine produces around 447 kW (600 bhp), but compared to 2013 KERS, the new ERS has twice the power (120 kW [160 bhp] as opposed to 60 kW [80 bhp]) for 33s a lap. That’s twice as much power for nearly five times longer than the V8’s system and a performance effect around 10 times greater. Thus the V6s, turbocharged at 3.4 bar (50 psi) will develop similar power overall to the V8s, 567 kW (760 bhp). And there will be far more torque - 425 Nm (570 lb ft) at 10,500 rpm even without the energy recovery systems, as opposed to 300 Nm (402 lb ft) at 17,500 rpm last year. The new energy systems deploy automatically according to the chosen mapping, rather than needing to be selected by the driver, and electronic fly-by-wire rear braking is allowed to cope with the altered characteristics of the brake energy harvesting.

Just to spice things up further, drivers are allowed only five power units per season rather than the eight in previous years, and the specification was frozen for the year by the FIA in Bahrain on February 28.

FUEL

• less fuel can be used
• direct injection​

Additionally, the teams are only allowed 100 kg (140 litres) of fuel, flowed at the rate of 100 kg/hour by FIA-mandated fuel regulators, as opposed to the 2.4s’ 160 kg or so (225 litres) flowed at around 170 kg/hour. Part of the greater efficiency is down to the use for the first time in F1 racing of Direct Injection (DI), where fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber so that the fuel-air mixture is formed within the cylinder. The precision of this process critically influences power delivery and fuel efficiency.

GEARBOX

• now 8 gears
• the same gear ratios for the entire season​

In the transmission part of the powertrain, cars now have eight rather than seven speeds, with gear ratios required by the FIA to be homologated for the season.

BODYWORK

• lower nose
• smaller wings​

The biggest change is to the exhaust. A single exhaust pipe is mandated with fixed dimensions and angle of protrusion. This means teams will no longer be able to generate downforce by directing exhaust gases to the rear diffuser.

The tip of the nose must be centred at 185 mm, which is just above the front wing, which is why there are so many unusual looking noses, and the effect not only improves safety but also compromises airflow beneath the nose and the chassis, a crucial area.

The front wing is 150 mm narrower, and while that might not seem much it places the endplates right in front of, rather than flush with, the outer edge of the front tyres. That has had a significant effect on airflow and efficiency. The rear wing is smaller, with a ban on horizontal mounting beams, but DRS remains. To compensate for the lost downforce its gap now opens up to 65 mm rather than 50 to help to reduce drag further.

The minimum weight of car and driver has been increased by 48kg from 2013, up from 642kg to 690kg to compensate for the increased weight of the new power unit and associated systems.

TIRES

• more durable
• compounds at a race only one step apart​

Pirelli say their 2014 rubber is more durable and creates fewer ‘marbles’, and the plan is to use compounds only one step apart at each race rather than two as last year. For Australia, they will supply their medium and soft compounds, and believe they will generate two or even three pit stops.

TESTING

• in-season testing returns
• up to 4 drivers allowed in Friday practice​

In-season testing returns for 2014, albeit in a restricted format with the regulations allowing four tests of no more than two consecutive days at circuits where an event has taken place. There are also increased restrictions on windtunnel testing and CFD simulations.

We are used to seeing teams replace one of their race drivers with a test driver for opening practice on a Friday. However, from 2014 teams are able to run up to four drivers - though still only two cars - in either Friday session.

RACING

• every driver now has a fixed number
• double points at the last race
• trophy for the most pole positions​

Drivers will be asked to choose their race number, between 2 and 99, for the duration of their career in the FIA Formula One World Championship. Number 1 will be reserved for the current world champion, should he choose to use it. The driver number must be clearly visible on the front of the car and on the driver's crash helmet.

Double drivers’ and constructors’ points will be awarded at the final race of the Formula One season - Abu Dhabi for 2014 - in order to maximise focus on the championship until the end of the campaign.

A new trophy will be awarded to the driver who scores the most pole positions during the season.In the event of a tie, the trophy will be awarded to the driver who holds the greatest number of second places. If there is still a tie, the greatest number of third places will be taken into account and so on until a winner emerges.

PENALTIES

• penalty points
• grid penalties carry over to the next race​

Depending on the severity of the offence committed, drivers will be given one, two or three penalty points. These will remain on their license for 12 months. Any driver who earns 12 penalty points on their superlicence during a 12-month period will be given a one-race ban.

The power unit is deemed to consist of six separate elements, of which five of each are available to each driver per season before they are penalised. The elements are the engine, the motor generator unit-kinetic (MGU-K), the motor generator unit-heat (MGU-H), the energy store (ES), turbocharger (TC) and control electronics (CE). Should a driver use more than five of any one component he faces a penalty ranging from a five-place grid drop, a 10-place grid drop, or (if the entire power unit has to be changed) starting the race from the pit lane.

If the grid penalty imposed cannot be taken in full at one event, the remainder of the penalty is carried over to the following event. For example, if a driver qualifies 15th and is then given a 10-place grid penalty he’ll be dropped seven grid places to 22nd and last at that meeting and then the remaining three grid places from wherever he qualifies at the next event.

Each driver may use no more than one gearbox for six consecutive events. Every unscheduled gearbox change will require the driver to drop five places on the grid at that meeting. Every subsequent unscheduled gearbox change will require the driver to drop five places on the grid. Gearbox ratios are fixed for the season (for 2014 only teams may re-nominate ratios once), but teams may change gears or dog rings at any time during an event providing that the FIA technical delegate is satisfied that there is physical damage to the parts in question.

sources:

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/sporting_regulations/12877/
http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2014/3/15534.html
http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/sporting_regulations/

Having fixed gear ratios all season has to be one of the dumbest things FIA has imposed. I'm surprised teams aren't protesting about it as much.

DBT85

Having fixed gear ratios all season has to be one of the dumbest things FIA has imposed. I'm surprised teams aren't protesting about it as much.

Meh, they've now got 8 gears and the engines are useful much earlier in the rev band than before with much more torque.

It'll hopefully mean stonking long 8th gears so nobody hits the limiter on long straights with DRS and a slipstream as we've seen so often.

Zeknurn

I guess the grid penalty only carries over for one race. Otherwise it would be pretty funny seeing Chilton start at the back of the grid 10 races in a row.

Hasney

I'm just watching some 2009 season because I really enjoyed it. I was just thinking, if there was a WWE Network style F1 service where you pay $9.99 a month and get every race live, as well as every race that has been in the past along with documentaries, would you watch it?

Addnan

I'm just watching some 2009 season because I really enjoyed it. I was just thinking, if there was a WWE Network style F1 service where you pay $9.99 a month and get every race live, as well as every race that has been in the past along with documentaries, would you watch it?

Sign me up, but it won't happen because it makes too much sense for F1.

RayStorm

Sign me up, but it won't happen because it makes too much sense for F1.

If it was only F1 there would be far too little content I would think. Compared to the 20+ hours of original Wrestling the WWE has (produced) for the past decades, F1 alone can't stack up. I also imagine there might be a case of complete video footage missing from the earlier days. And even in current times with more races than ever and more complete video coverage than ever there's what? 8 hours of footage per race? 8h*20(races)/12(months)= a bit more than 13 hours of content per month, much less if we go 20 years back. I don't know if that is a sustainable amount of content to keep people subscribing. Especially not in the major markets that have races live on (free)TV.

Absolutely. Watching F1 from the US is at best a recipe for sleep deprivation. I'd love an on-demand HD season service.

Edit: Oh lol, I misread $10 a month as $10 a year. I'd pay some other figure for it because $10 a month is a bit much, unless I could get old seasons as well maybe...

Shaneus

I was going to suggest buying the F1 timing app for whatever stupid, overpriced amount it is... but it hasn't even fucking been released yet. The latest app on the iOS app store is the 2013 one.

Idiots.

Edit: Oh, wait... it was advertised as being up on the F1 timing Twitter account as of two hours ago:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/official-f1-app/id835022598?mt=8

Free, no idea how that 7.49 pounds translates into AUD or USD, but that seems a heck of a lot cheaper than it's been in the past.

Edit #2: $11.49AUD. That's... actually pretty cheap. Pricing error?

Chris R

How many more days do I have to sign up for the Fantasy stuff?

I was going to suggest buying the F1 timing app for whatever stupid, overpriced amount it is... but it hasn't even fucking been released yet. The latest app on the iOS app store is the 2013 one.

Idiots.

Edit: Oh, wait... it was advertised as being up on the F1 timing Twitter account as of two hours ago:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/official-f1-app/id835022598?mt=8

Free, no idea how that 7.49 pounds translates into AUD or USD, but that seems a heck of a lot cheaper than it's been in the past.

Edit #2: $11.49AUD. That's... actually pretty cheap. Pricing error?

$11 in the US store. Someone bite the bullet for us, I think this might be ok on my iPad but I'm not dumping 5+ great iOS games away if this is a stinker.

Ark

Went and joined the fantasy league as '#blessed #roscoe'.

Copied most other people and went for Massa, Williams Chassis, and Williams Engine. Hopefully in my third try at a GAF F1 league I won't end up on the second page for the entire season again.

DD

Went and joined the fantasy league as '#blessed #roscoe'.

Copied most other people and went for Massa, Williams Chassis, and Williams Engine. Hopefully in my third try at a GAF F1 league I won't end up on the second page for the entire season again.

I think you'll need a full team to score points, or am I mistaken?

dubc35

Ah yeah, you're right.

Changed it to Bianchi, Kobayashi, Marussia chassis, Williams engine.
Unfortunately with the pricing it seems like everyone is going with that team (myself included). Hopefully the prize money and betting (is there betting?) will spread it out.

Zozobra

For the ERS, does the driver have control over when it's used like KERS or is it just generating more bhp overall throughout the entire lap (or rather, up to 33 seconds of the lap)?

Shaneus

How many more days do I have to sign up for the Fantasy stuff?

$11 in the US store. Someone bite the bullet for us, I think this might be ok on my iPad but I'm not dumping 5+ great iOS games away if this is a stinker.
I think I will given that I'll need it for Melbourne (because there's no fucking Kangaroo TV or whatever with FoM's ludicrously overpriced licensing, cunts), but isn't it just the same as the other years ones?

Wait, I don't think it is because it's by "Formula 1 Digital Media" and not the other guys, Soft Pauer. Says it has "Text and audio commentary", too... I wonder if that's live?

DBT85

For the ERS, does the driver have control over when it's used like KERS or is it just generating more bhp overall throughout the entire lap (or rather, up to 33 seconds of the lap)?

No magic button. The ERS is deployed based on the current engine map, throttle position and speed. All computer controlled.

Juicy Bob

I'm going to miss the strategy element of KERS. I thought it was one of the more interesting elements that F1's ever added to its racing.

DBT85

I'm going to miss the strategy element of KERS. I thought it was one of the more interesting elements that F1's ever added to its racing.

Well it's conceivable that drivers will still have a "beansssss!!!" engine map that they can switch to in the right moment to use more of the ERS than normal. Wouldn't surprise me.

ElTorro

Well it's conceivable that drivers will still have a "beansssss!!!" engine map that they can switch to in the right moment to use more of the ERS than normal. Wouldn't surprise me.

I've read interview where drivers talked about the strategic elements of ERS. Can't find the links right now, but that would suggest that they have some control options, like different mappings or not hammering down the throttle.

Ark

It was really interesting in 2009, but honestly last year it was pointless. Almost everyone used KERS at the same point and any overtakes that really utilised KERS were using DRS too.

Juicy Bob

I suppose.

Hulkenberg using all his KERS out of Turn 1 at Korea to fend off Alonso last year was the best example I can think of.

ElTorro

The hardest questions is if the Lotus cars will crash into something before their engines blow up.

Shaneus

The hardest questions is if the Lotus cars will crash into something before their engines blow up.
That's just like that shitty brain teaser thing of "if cats always land on their feet and buttered bread always lands buttered side down, what if you strapped some buttered bread to a cat?". Except in this case, all you get in the end is two cars spontaneously combusting at the start of the parade lap.

Edit: Wait, that makes zero sense whatsoever. I shouldn't post on next-to-zero sleep :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom