• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

The BBC - looking to try to build interest - are having a bit of fun with statistics on their website.

Holy moly, Fangio's numbers are impressive.
Yeah, wow. I realised Fangio was a god, but that's just ridiculous. Insane numbers there.

Edit: Holy shit:
The Batista Dictatorship of Cuba established the non-Formula One Cuban Grand Prix in 1957. Fangio won the 1957 event, and had set fastest times during practice for the 1958 race. On 23 February 1958, two unmasked gunmen of Fidel Castro's 26th of July Movement entered the Hotel Lincoln in Havana and kidnapped Fangio at gunpoint. Local police set up roadblocks at intersections, and guards were assigned to private and commercial airports and to all competing drivers.

Fangio was taken to three separate houses. His captors allowed him to listen to the race via radio, bringing a television for him to witness reports of a disastrous crash after the race concluded. In the third house, Fangio was allowed his own bedroom but became convinced that a guard was standing outside of the bedroom door at all hours. The captors talked about their revolutionary programme which Fangio had not wished to speak about as he did not have an interest in politics. Fangio was released after 29 hours and he remained a good friend of his captors afterwards.

The captors motives were to force the cancellation of the race in an attempt to embarrass the Batista regime. After Fangio was released, many Cubans were convinced that Batista was losing his power because he failed to track the captors down. The Cuban Revolution concluded in January 1959, canceling the 1959 Cuban Grand Prix. The Fangio kidnapping was dramatized in a 1999 Argentine film directed by Alberto Lecchi, Operación Fangio.

Hammer24

Banned
ROS interviewed by German Spiegel. Usual disclaimer: excuse my shitty translation.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Mr Rosberg, for the first time in the history of Formula 1, the drivers could choose their start number themselves. You have chosen six. Why?

ROS: My father KEKE has advised me to the six, because 1982 he became world champion in formula 1 with this number. Then, even my fiancée Vivien came and said I must take the six, because that was her lucky number. And then I remembered that in 2002 I had won the formula BMW with the six. I hope it is a good omen.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Then, you must become this years formula 1 champion.

ROS: Not so fast, the season has not even begun. And predictions are dangerous, in the end the formula 1 just experienced a technical revolution.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: The biggest change is the drive technology with new turbo engines and a new hybrid system. How satisfied are you with the new Mercedes?

ROS: Very satisfied. The first test drives in Jerez were great, in Bahrain it ran well. I did not expect that.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Why not?

ROS: In January, I was in our engine factory in England. There's a section, which deals exclusively with the analysis of damaged parts. There was still plenty to do - which is also normal in a development process. Therefore, it is remarkable how well the engine ran in the tests.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Last season ins the constructor's Championship, Mercedes finished second. For the first time since the formula 1 return 2010, you could compete with the silver arrow for wins. Is it not a pity that your team now had to start again with the development from scratch?

ROS: No, not at all, on the contrary. This is nothing but a great opportunity for us.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: To win the championship?

ROS: At least to reduce the distance to the top. Red Bull last season was incredibly dominant. We wouldn´t have been able to close the technical gap in one winter, because we were missing a lot. Because of the many changes its now a totally different situation, also Red Bull had to develop all over again. It will be exciting in the first race to see which team is how far. No one really knows.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Is it at even possible to set goals for this season?

ROS: Of course. Our aim must be to be better than last year.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: That would mean, Mercedes wins the constructors title.

ROS: That would mean that we constantly drive to victories and podium finishes.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: And the drivers title? You had explained before your first season: "I want to be a formula one champion".

ROS: I said that?

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Its quoted in November 2005 in the "Stuttgarter Zeitung".

ROS: I can not remember the sentence, but no matter. Basically, it is of course my goal to be world champion at some point. But I don't say right now: I'll be world champion this year.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: With the drivers title would finally step out of the shadow of your father.

ROS: I think, there is no longer this shadow, in the end I'm in my ninth season. At the beginning of the career, I was just the son of Keke Rosberg. But this is also normal, if the father was champion and the son enters the formula 1. I have never really been interested in this "In the shadow of" thing anyway. Not even when I was driving with Michael.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Three years Michael Schumacher and you were the Mercedes driver duo, you were better placed at the end of each season, however, the interest was almost only Schumacher. Don´t you find this unjust?

ROS: A distinction must be made here. If one hundred journalists stood in front of us, the most wanted something from Michael of course. I mean, hey, we´re talking about the record world champion here! It has always been important to me however, that there were no differences within the team. Since I was always equal, had the same possibilities as Michael, that alone counted for me.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: The former formula one driver Gerhard Berger has once stressed your great talent and said if you would drive a Red Bull, no one would be talking anymore about shadow because you probably already would be world champion. Is he right?

ROS: I don't know, this is too speculative. But what maybe gets underestimated by outsiders, is the importance of the car in the formula 1. Good drivers we all are here. In other sports the ratio skill to material is different, like in tennis for example. I can only say that I didn't have yet had a world champion capable car. And until last season, I never got a car capable of winning. 2013 was the first year I could regularly drive in the top places. I am with the silver arrow project since day one, the team in all areas has evolved great since.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Last year you won two races in Monaco and England, and finished second and third once each. Your reply on Sebastian Vettel has caused almost as much attention as this, when Vettel explained the success of Red Bull with the words : "When others let their balls hang in the pool, we still work hard for a strong race." You countered: "he should worry less about my balls and care more for himself." Were you angry?

ROS: Angry is the wrong word. But I found that disrespectful, because my team is also hard working, goes to the limits and makes no holiday at the expense of Mercedes. Normally I'm not going through the media. But it was important to me at the moment to make that clear and to not just leave Sebastian's statement uncountered. Otherwise people will believe them, the words coming from the world champion. I also personally told him that.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: How is your relationship with Vettel?

ROS: Neutral. You can't describe it better.

lPCSgcL.jpg

This is great. It should make a great wallpaper.

ramparter

Banned
SPIEGEL ONLINE: Last year you won two races in Monaco and England, and finished second and third once each. Your reply on Sebastian Vettel has caused almost as much attention as this, when Vettel explained the success of Red Bull with the words : "When others let their balls hang in the pool, we still work hard for a strong race." You countered: "he should worry less about my balls and care more for himself." Were you angry?

ROS: Angry is the wrong word. But I found that disrespectful, because my team is also hard working, goes to the limits and makes no holiday at the expense of Mercedes. Normally I'm not going through the media. But it was important to me at the moment to make that clear and to not just leave Sebastian's statement uncountered. Otherwise people will believe them, the words coming from the world champion. I also personally told him that.
Well I guess we know now who has been working harder...

NHale

Christian Horner:

"You could see a higher level of domination than we had last year," he told The Daily Mail. "Looking at Mercedes' race simulation, it wouldn't be a surprise if they finished two laps ahead of everyone in Melbourne. They have a massive advantage. What we know about Lewis is that he is extremely talented and naturally fast. And he's in a good team, so he's probably got to be the favourite going into the season."

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/1...s-mercedes-may-lap-field-in-the-australian-gp

So Horner hopes they can be competitive in May when F1 comes to Europe.

Exactly what the rumors about them needing a B-spec car just like Ferrari in 2011. It's going to be a tough start for RBR...

No way in hell are Mercedes 3 seconds a lap faster than the other Mercedes powered cars and Ferrari. Renault powered cars? Maybe.

I guess Horner is the source for that Buxton blog post...

Risgroo

Bic1rHGCQAAQ09R.jpg

Macca's revised livery for sidepods

Nice! I've always associated McLaren with the West livery, so anything remotely resembling that is great.

By the way, are we still doing GPpredictor this year? Might be good to have a backup in case the other game isn't that great.

Zeknurn

@f1enigma: Huge attack to Bernie from Norway and a fund director who got the 21,3 pct with Blackrock and Waddell & Reed Finance. Its getting very messy
"We have communicated crystal clear that we have a zero tolerance for corruption. And in English so called the "zero tolerance" and it is at least as strong as it is in Norwegian. We have full confidence that the Board is addressing it. It is quite obvious that if the matter is handled correctly, we will of course not want to be the owner. We will in that case not sit on these shares" Words of Oil Fund CEO Yngve Slyngstad who has invested in F1

Also
@drewscanlon: The first episode of Alt+F1, a Formula 1 podcast with me and @dannyodwyer is LIVE and free for everyone to download! http://t.co/nmjpHxkHPE

I love the art.

Shaneus

There are already photos from Melbourne? Then why am I waking up at some godawful time tomorrow to go on the pit walk? :(

Interesting to see Rosberg describe his relationship with Vettel as "neutral". For one of the most likeable, gentlemanly drivers on the grid (if not THE most) to describe something as that... very interesting.

I think you're reading a bit too much into it. Neutral means he neither likes or dislikes him (or flat out doesn't have a relationship with him). Just because he's a nice guy doesn't mean he likes everyone on the grid.

Unrelated, just bought my 24 hour access to Sky... though it sticks in my craw to do so.

Ark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFHmYFlbFn8

Red bull video on 2014 rule changes

Can it be weekend now please.

I think Red Bull's budget for that video was bigger than Caterham's entire 2013 budget.

The limit of five power unit's per car might be problematic this year, especially for Renault. I wonder if we'll see a mid-season revision to that rule. It didn't at all occur to me that the drivers' feet would be lower too.

EDIT:

tumblr_n29d9fCztD1satywmo1_1280.jpg

Dat Martini stripe.

Shaneus

Finally read that Bill Buxton article. I think I'm excited for F1 again :)

If anyone has any special requests for photos while I'm on the pit walk tomorrow morning, let me know and I'll do my best. Noses are usually the easiest things to get photos of, if that helps.

vanty

Just heard from my dad that he got two corporate tickets for Sunday. Inside of the track between turns 1 and 2. We were there a couple years ago as well but on the Saturday not Sunday. Not sure how well I'll know what's going on in the race but should be great.

tHoMNZ

I think Red Bull's budget for that video was bigger than Caterham's entire 2013 budget.

The limit of five power unit's per car might be problematic this year, especially for Renault. I wonder if we'll see a mid-season revision to that rule. It didn't at all occur to me that the drivers' feet would be lower too.

imIfpY9ZZaBuL.gif

DBT85

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFHmYFlbFn8

Red bull video on 2014 rule changes

Can it be weekend now please.

Nice video. Interesting to see them blowing up engines ;)

I doubt very much they'll make a revision to the rule. They wouldn't allow an extension on the homologlation so I doubt they'll give them any other freebies.

They are limited to 5 of each of the 6 parts, but they can all be swapped around. So Engine 1 can be used with Turbo 5 and battery pack 3 and so on.

It's going to be an interesting last 5 races with everyone running with a few less parts left and that stupid double points race at the end which doesn't even have the decency of being in Brazil.

Also the two torro Rosso wings. Top is the new one

BigIN96CEAA7aAL.jpg

and some twits.

Martin Brundle ‏@MBrundleF1 1h
Asked a lot of F1 drivers the same questions today. It's clear that Mercedes powered cars are more predictable and therefore fun to drive.

Red Bull Racing ‏@redbullracing 11h
Ahead of the #AustralianGP, as is tradition, Seb has named his car. In 2014 his car will be named Suzie

Ark

Shame that amazing helmet isn't going to see any use :(

Williams might be putting up a challenge to Ferrari this year for most attractive livery.

They are limited to 5 of each of the 6 parts, but they can all be swapped around. So Engine 1 can be used with Turbo 5 and battery pack 3 and so on.

Ah I wasn't aware this was the case. That sounds a lot more reasonable now. New Toro Rosso nose reminds me of the 2009/2010 RBR.

Shaneus

Oh, bought the F1 app for iOS as well. Apart from being sluggish as hell on my 4S (may well be better on my iPad 3) it's actually pretty slick. Remains to be seen what it's like on race day. Have a feeling I'll still be firing up the ol' iOS VPN and listening to BBC5 via the barely-there cellular internet access.

Caramello

Oh, bought the F1 app for iOS as well. Apart from being sluggish as hell on my 4S (may well be better on my iPad 3) it's actually pretty slick. Remains to be seen what it's like on race day. Have a feeling I'll still be firing up the ol' iOS VPN and listening to BBC5 via the barely-there cellular internet access.

It really is barely-there on race day.. Even with Telstra it's ridiculous.. You'd be better off buying a cheap mp3 player with FM radio and tuning in to the track side commentary.

They don't have the commentary over the speakers? I've only been to the Montreal GP, but there they had the BBC commentary over the sound system all over the track. It was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom