• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramparter

Banned
Apparently people in the thread know better than the guys running champion winning teams. So much hate for Max already, can't wait for the godly praise he will get next year.

Juicy Bob

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| (Grid) Penalty Shoot-out

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Where in the world has Pastor Maldonado crashed this weekend?

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Of Daniel Ricciardo Arm-Flexing the Competition...

Ark

To be honest, with as much of an outsider casual opinion as I can muster, Verstappen's signing is bad for the sport.

How does it look to the public when a 17 year old can race in Formula 1? Either he destroys his career during his contract, or he blows us all away and it still looks bad on the sport. Some 'pinnacle' of global sport if a 17 year old can do it.

As for my own opinion, I still think it's dumb and stupid. Even if he does blow us away, I'll stand by it. Every time he makes a mistake he's going to be barraged with 'is it because you're too young?' and the answer will always be yes. There hasn't been a single rookie jump up from their first year of road racing to F1 and do well without thousands of testing miles. Kyviat looks good, but Marko didn't compare him to Senna.

Ark

"Even when I'm proven wrong, I am still right."

:lol

It's more of a subjective thing really. I can still be justified in thinking that signing Verstappen at 17 is too early, even if he wins 17 races.

Basically, it's just me preparing to not flip-flop my opinion if he proves to be amazing next season. I'm expecting him to out perform Kvyat,

kharma45

I don't see the problem. If he's got the talent why not give him a shot? He'll likely make a mistake or two but every driver has, and still do, no matter how experienced.

I always think it's exciting to see young drivers get a chance.

Addnan

If he can drive these cars then sure he should get a drive, no doubt. I agree with few posts above though, should F1 cars be so easy to drive that a 17 year old with minimal racing experience is able to jump into the highest end of motorsport and take it on.

Shaneus

From WTF1's FB, #thingsolderthanmaxverstappen
1ni4jPs.jpg

:/

Deadman

The first game i got for the playstation.

I dont really buy the argument that if he can drive at 17 then it devalues f1. Lots of sports have people competing that young and they are fine.

Is tennis not an elite sport because becker or sharapova could win wimbledon at 17?

Is football devalued because messi played in the champions league at 17?

Ark

I dont really buy the argument that if he can drive at 17 then it devalues f1. Lots of sports have people competing that young and they are fine.

Is tennis not an elite sport because becker or sharapova could win wimbledon at 17?

I don't think it devalues the sport, but I'm just hyopthesising that a not-so-devout fan could see reason for doubt in F1's elitism, after all, F1 is arguably the most elite sport in the world. Those sports you listed weren't devalued because they're sports that rely on the talent of the human body alone. F1 is another level above any feeder series, as we have seen from the many talented GP2 champions making it into F1 only to spend several seasons being mediocre. Alonso is almost twice Verstappen's age, lol.

I just find it funny that in the midst of F1's identity crisis Marko decided to hire a 17 year old. Especially now that they're talking about making the cars harder to drive.

We all know the closest he'll ever get is second in the WDC only to lose out to a German
;)

The game i got for the playstation.

Not the same though. Football is a team sport. Tennis has had loads of teenage phenoms/champions (pretty much the majority of the GOATs have won GSs before the age of 20).

As for F1, it's a sport that developed so much over the past 30 years that a teenager is now fit to compete in it, something completely unthinkable even 15 years ago. Speaks volumes about his preparedness but also about how easy these cars are to drive.

They went the wrong way in the regs, IMO. They should have pushed for much more powerful turbos or naturally aspirated V10/12s (but "green" branded). Also should have pushed for much larger tyres at the back and force cars to rely on mechanical grip, not aerodynamics (by restricting aero development). Also, to make the cars faster in the corners, they probably should have been more aggressive on weight limit (back to the old 620kg limit). The increase in torque, reduction in aero stability would have made the cars much harder to drive.

Deadman

I dont see verstappen's entry to F1 as much different to people like Alonso or Raikkonen.

Alonso joined as a teenager at a time when no one would accuse the cars of being too easy to drive. Raikkonen joined having only 23 previous car races to his name. If they can do it and early 2000s F1 wasn't too easy (infact its the heyday that many want to return to, including myself) then Verstappen should be able to join in 2014 without that being the case now.

Shaneus

It's an interesting point brought up about youth, but I think as long as they're not constantly causing accidents (lol Maldonado) or holding people up (lol Chilton) then there's not an issue. We saw with Schumi a few years back that age doesn't have to be a barrier in holding a drive for a top team, plus Alonso and Webber have shown you can be on that upper age limit and still put in solid (if not race-winning) drives.

I dont see verstappen's entry to F1 as much different to people like Alonso or Raikkonen.

Alonso joined as a teenager at a time when no one would accuse the cars of being too easy to drive. Raikkonen joined having only 23 previous car races to his name. If they can do it and early 2000s F1 wasn't too easy (infact its the heyday that many want to return to, including myself) then Verstappen should be able to join in 2014 without that being the case now.

Well, Kimi was already 21 going on 22 at the time he got an F1 seat, a whole 4 years older than Max.

Alonso joined Minardi at age 19 and only joined a respectable outfit (Renault) at the age of 21, again 4 years older than Max. For highly touted prospects, F1 only becomes a reality at age 20-22 (Hamilton, Buemi, Alguersuari, Hulkenberg, Vettel, etc.) - Max is cutting 3 years off that, or 2 if you include the Kvyat precedent. That's huge.

Also, since 2010 or so, we have been in a golden era in terms of driver talent, making it theoretically harder to land an F1 seat (excluding the pay driver situation). Compare the 2014 grid to the 2001 for the lulz (Mazzacane, Burti, Enge, Zonta, Marques, Yoong, Bernoldi, JVerstappen, and somewhat washed up Alesi, Irvine).

Also, early 00s cars were relatively easy to drive given traction control, tyre wars and peak aero (aside from the exhaust blown double diffuser from 2010).

itsgreen

Well, Kimi was already 21 going on 22 at the time he got an F1 seat, a whole 4 years older than Max.

Alonso joined Minardi at age 19 and only joined a respectable outfit (Renault) at the age of 21, again 4 years older than Max. For highly touted prospects, F1 only becomes a reality at age 20-22 (Hamilton, Buemi, Alguersuari, Hulkenberg, Vettel, etc.) - Max is cutting 3 years off that, or 2 if you include the Kvyat precedent. That's huge.

Also, since 2010 or so, we have been in a golden era in terms of driver talent, making it theoretically harder to land an F1 seat (excluding the pay driver situation). Compare the 2014 grid to the 2001 for the lulz (Mazzacane, Burti, Enge, Zonta, Marques, Yoong, Bernoldi, JVerstappen, and somewhat washed up Alesi, Irvine).

Also, early 00s cars were relatively easy to drive given traction control, tyre wars and peak aero (aside from the exhaust blown double diffuser from 2010).

(Toro Rosso == Minardi)

If he's ready... he's ready... if he isn't... he isn't....

Why make arbitrary calls on his capabilities based on his age?

I'll give you that I am also nervous as fuck he doesn't fuck up because of his age. But he is pretty good. Red Bull aren't stupid, they have a good reason to do this... If it was a pay driver for Marussia or Caterham the age thing would be more of thing but still: in the end it would be more about capabilities rather than the age.

Max has now done:
A short run session in England to familiar himself with the RB8, done a few demo's in that RB8.
A full test day where he ran nearly 400KM in a STR
A couple of simiulator days at Red Bull (full days)
A couple of days of Formula Renault 3.5 at the Red Bull Ring

By the time 2015 season commences he probably already have done 5000KM in F1

Hammer24

Banned
OT2 - Discussion Topics older than Verstappen :p

Dunno if its of interest here, but a couple new TV deals have been struck for eastern Europe.

Aiii

So not worth it
Since we're speaking about Max, he apparently shares my birthday... Which happens to be today!

So he's now 17 and we've only just avoided a SIXTEEN YEAR OLD driving a F1 car this Friday, phew, bullit dodged, Prost can breathe easy.

Mastah

Lewis Hamilton ‏@LewisHamilton 5m

Way back when! My beautiful mum & I. She had me rockin a chain from day 1. Yep, I was a chubby baby, probably why she loved me so much. Thank you for loving me mum, I'm proud to say I'm your son:) #bestmum #chain #swag #family #precious #time #love #wemadeit #nevergiveup #teamLH #godisthegreatest

Is it even possible to include more hashtags?

duckroll

I don't think it devalues the sport, but I'm just hyopthesising that a not-so-devout fan could see reason for doubt in F1's elitism, after all, F1 is arguably the most elite sport in the world.

There's a term for this. It's called concern trolling. Lol.

kiyomi

Btw, anyone know any good F1 podcasts that are worth checking out?

There should be a GAF1 podcast.

Sidepodcast used to be okay but I don't know if they're going any more. 5live Chequered Flag is pretty rote but it has interviews and stuff. Peter Windsor had his weird series going for a while but that was more of a vodcast (*vomits*) since it relied on a lot of pictures.

GiantBomb do a premium subscription podcast called Alt+F1 but unless you like Drew and Danny, it's kinda nonsense and they have literally no idea what they're talking about. It's kinda painful sometimes.

DBT85

Welcome to last week.

Apparently, latest news is that Honda is encountering deeper/bigger problems than Renault.

That might pour some ice cold water on the rumors...

but but but but but but Honda McLaren will storm to the title because it Honda and they are the best and are awesome and amazing and Honda are the best at turbo engines but but but.

Wax on suicide watch.

Autosprint is not a reliable source.

They've spun the turbo and fuel supplier story from that Japanese interview with Arai into the engine is unreliable, it's 3 months behind, it guzzles petrol, it's overweight and their energy recovery system is knackered.

They must be butthurt over Alonso leaving Ferrari up shit creek?

Mastah

Eddie Jordan on Alonso in 2015 (and few other things as well):

Which team will Fernando Alonso be racing for in 2015?

Jeevan ‬‬‬‬

"We know Alonso has talked to a number of teams, but are any of them going to be much better than where he is now? My guess is no. However, that did not stop Hamilton leaving McLaren when they looked like being a championship winner and going to what was then a lesser team in Mercedes.

"There is no question Alonso can build a team into a championship winner - he is that good. Just like I think Lewis has helped the whole Mercedes team up their game.

"The only place he could go - and I still think there's a possibility of it happening - is McLaren. They do want a top driver next year and for whatever reason the current management don't seem to think Jenson Button is that driver, even though he is a world champion and knows the Honda management well.

"Honda and McLaren want to hit the ground running. They want Alonso or Sebastian Vettel and it's possible both could wind up there. There are moves happening as we speak and possible scenarios that by the end of October there could be a change of management and of drivers in that team."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/29422678

Ark

|OT2| More dramatic than EJ's shirts

I'm going to keep this up until I create something fantastic. Even if we're already in OT2 by then ;D

Alonso AND Vettel at McLaren I can't see. I don't think Alonso could be on any level of friendliness with Vettel.

Hasney

Alonso is now going to Caterham to turn them into a championship winning team and prove himself, I can exclusively reveal.

Along is quoted as saying: "How did you get this number? Stop calling me" but I can add that he said he liked the phallic shape of the car nose, or would have if the call had not been mysteriously cut off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom