• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ark

DBT85

Oh wow... so much for "best driver in F1" moniker.

Merc have a World champion and a driver who is very close to being good enough already and it's causing some rifts, and Red Bull have a 4x WDC and a rookie who's teaching him how to drive. It's hardly a stain on Alonso that neither Red Bull or Merc have room for him at this time.

Merc have a World champion and a driver who is very close to being good enough already and it's causing some rifts, and Red Bull have a 4x WDC and a rookie who's teaching him how to drive. It's hardly a stain on Alonso that neither Red Bull or Merc have room for him at this time.

- Vettel is not getting the job done at the moment and has been rumoured to join Ferrari ever since his first WDC

- Mercedes wants to bargain hard with Lewis money-wise and could have used Alonso as a bargaining chip

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
- Vettel is not getting the job done at the moment and has been rumoured to join Ferrari ever since his first WDC

- Mercedes wants to bargain hard with Lewis money-wise and could have used Alonso as a bargaining chip

I can think of 30 million reasons why neither picked Alonso up as an option.

I'm sure that had MCL not managed somehow to get Honda to pick up that tab that they also would have looked more carefully at the other options open to them.

That'll do for me! Awesome, thanks.
Found the original quote from AMUS F1 reporter: https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/515115134596161536

Pitlane Talk is credible. Plus, the most reputable British journos are reporting malaise between Ferrari and Alonso.

Yeah it's looking like it's done. Either he had no alternative or that Honda PU isn't all that bad.

Edit: Autosprint, based on google translate, are saying there's an announcement for Suzuka and it regards a world champion: http://autosprint.corrieredellosport.it/2014/09/25/alonso-dubbio-suzuka/19183/

I would die laughing if Kimi ends up being the team leader at Ferrari.

NHale

If this happen and somehow Hamilton goes to Ferrari, I'm sure the happier team is not either McLaren or Ferrari, right Hammer? The dream for Mercedes will forever be Vettel isn't it?

Oh wow... so much for "best driver in F1" moniker.

If Hamilton went knocking RBR's door again, he would receive the same response he got 2 years ago "No, thank you". That surely mean he's a worst driver than Mark Webber, right? Mind blown.

DBT85

I assume that amidst all this bollocks, everyone else saw that the Brabham name is back in racing again?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116013

The Brabham team name will return to international motorsport competition next year in the World Endurance Championship.

It marks the first step of an ambitious project, which could extend as high as Formula 1, based on an innovative open source and crowdfunding strategy.

'Project Brabham' aims to put one of the sport's most famous and evocative racing team names into next year's WEC with a three-year LMP2 squad.

It then plans to return to the ranks of a constructor in 2018 with an LMP1 design.

David Brabham, the Le Mans 24 Hours-winning son of marque founder Sir Jack, is the driving force behind the project and will be team principal of Brabham Racing.

"I have long dreamt of seeing the Brabham team back out on the track, winning at the highest level and continuing the legacy my father laid down when he first started the team in the '60s," said Brabham.

"Looking at the normal racing model was not exciting or sustainable enough for me to rebuild the team from scratch. For me to bring Brabham back, we have to do things differently."

Brabham has pinned its plans around an open source and crowdfunding strategy, with three digital web applications to which interested parties, be they aspiring drivers, engineers or fans, can become members.

The aim is for this community to be able to engage with a professional racing team like never before.

The various packages that are available will be detailed on the Project Brabham crowdfunding page.

"From the very early stages of the crowdfunding route, it gives people the opportunity to engage and be part of the journey straight away," said Brabham, who started eight grands prix in 1990 for the team in its former guise (pictured).

"They can feel the excitement and, as we grow, they grow with us. It will bring fans closer to the action, inspire drivers and engineers around the world and offer a rare opportunity to be a part of this new but historical race team.

"I am a big believer in the power of collective thinking and see many advantages in this model that will help Brabham become a winning team once again, but in a new and inspiring way.

"Who knows where that could lead? Back to Formula 1, I hope."

Addnan

He's not going to win anything at Ferrari so might as well try his luck I suppose. McLaren might be in a worse position now but Ferrari have been stuck in the same mediocre 2nd to 3rd best for years.

Deadman

It would be pretty lame of Mclaren to ditch another young driver after 1 season.

Regarding the engine I think honda will be better prepared than renault were this year, but not anything special like a Mercedes. And since i expect all 3 current engines to jump forward next year then honda will probably be the worst engine.

Oh shit.. Ok, I texted the rumor to a very well connected guy to the owners of McLaren

Here's exactly the exchange so far

Me: Rumors say Alonso signed for mclaren for next year breaking his contract early

Friend: I think so, because he's on Ferrari's bad list and part of their plan to reshuffle the team

Me: Really???!!

Friend: Yes, he was asked at the beginning of the year to find sponsors after he lost Santander's backing or accept a massive paycut. They are trying to squeeze him out and Kimi's signing was part of the strategy to prepare the team for the Vettel-era

Me: Fuck me side-ways why haven't you told me this shit before

Friend: coz you'll go around telling people

Me: Fuck you!

Well, he was right about me! lol .. But only time will tell if my friend is really that connected or a bullshitter

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
No Autosport confirmation no news

I don't believe Alonso is going anywhere.. $5 anyone? Everyone? ;)

Pffft, £5 donation to LOROS if he's doesn't go to McLaren for 2015.

Your choice of charity if you lose? :)

Ark

big fuck up by Ferrari losing Alonso when no one else is available......

I agree, but to be fair they don't really need a star driver right now. They just need a good driver pairing that doesn't create any pressure (Kimi and Grosjean pls) while they implement the correct changes at Maranello ;)

No Autosport confirmation no news

I don't believe Alonso is going anywhere.. $5 anyone? Everyone? ;)

Autosport have been very coy with Alonso leaving Ferrari and going to McLaren. If you read between the lines on everything they've published in regards to Alonso in the last month or two, I certainly got the idea that a storm was brewing.

I agree, but to be fair they don't really need a star driver right now. They just need a good driver pairing that doesn't create any pressure (Kimi and Grosjean pls) while they implement the correct changes at Maranello ;)

Autosport have been very coy with Alonso leaving Ferrari and going to McLaren. If you read between the lines on everything they've published in regards to Alonso in the last month or two, I certainly got the idea that a storm was brewing.

Did Eddie say anything about it?

jey_16

Banned

Please not Grosjean....i dont think i could take it after 2012 and i have no faith in Kimi anymore. Next year going to be a write off, only consolation would be Alonso having to endure a dog at McLaren.

Any way you put it, Kimi and Hulk/Bianchi/Grosjean is going to be the worst driver pairing Ferrari has had since 1995

Ark

Did Eddie say anything about it?

I haven't really followed the BBC stuff outside of the DC and Hamilton columns, but I'd be surprised if he hasn't.

Please not Grosjean....i dont think i could take it after 2012 and i have no faith in Kimi anymore. Next year going to be a write off, only consolation would be Alonso having to endure a dog at McLaren.

Any way you put it, Kimi and Hulk/Bianchi/Grosjean is going to be the worst driver pairing Ferrari has had since 1995

You'd have to be outright blind not to see that Grosjean is one of the fastest drivers with the most potential on the grid right now. He's in a higher station than Hulkenberg or any other potential top-tier-non-rookie driver.

F1 GAF...who are the up and coming Italian potential F1 drivers?

Same as the last 60 years, no one :p

Sebastian has good rapport with the engineers at Red Bull. I wonder if he could drag some key personnel, Schumi style to Ferrari. I for one, dont believe Newey is finished with Formula 1. Red Bull yes, F1 no.
I dont believe Adrian is the type to say "No" to an opportunity to bring forth a renaissance at Ferrari. He said "No" to them before because he wasnt finished with Red Bull.

Ark

Sebastian has good rapport with the engineers at Red Bull. I wonder if he could drag some key personnel, Schumi style to Ferrari. I for one, dont believe Newey is finished with Formula 1. Red Bull yes, F1 no.
I dont believe Adrian is the type to say "No" to an opportunity to bring forth a renaissance at Ferrari. He said "No" to them before because he wasnt finished with Red Bull.

99% sure that was to do with him and his wife not wanting to move to Maranello. They offered him an ungodly sum of money.

I am not quite sure re: bold. As for whether that's even possible - I don't think so. Most key RBR staff I assume would be on pretty strict/tight contracts, especially after Mercedes, McLaren and Ferrari (?) already poached a few people in the past.

And Newey is fully out of F1 after 2014. No amount of money will make him go work in Italy.

DD

Alonso must know something we don't know because as big a mess as Ferrari are in mclaren are worse. Really crazy decision.

Well, everyone laughed when Massa said he was going to Williams last year, and look the team they have now...

I am not quite sure re: bold. As for whether that's even possible - I don't think so. Most key RBR staff I assume would be on pretty strict/tight contracts, especially after Mercedes, McLaren and Ferrari (?) already poached a few people in the past.

And Newey is fully out of F1 after 2014. No amount of money will make him go work in Italy.

Its obvious that money is of limited concern to Newey at this stage of his life, but there's something to be said for the appeal of bringing Ferrari back to the top (or near it) of the F1 peking order where it belongs. Thats the only thing Newey hasnt done and he himself has said working for Ferrari would be a dream scenario.
Remember, this is a man whom the Italian government had under indictment for manslaughter because of the Senna tragedy at Imola in 94.
How deliciously ironic would it be if he played a crucial role in Ferrari being back at the forefront of F1 dominance. A man like Newey would have that thought in the back of his mind.

Igo

I'd much rather see Newey competing in the America's Cup than at Ferrari. He's said he wants to do it, but I haven't heard about any Red Bull backing for Ben Ainslie's 2017 challenge.

jey_16

Banned
I think Ferrari had concerns about Alonso leaving which is why they signed Kimi last year....i guess they didnt count on him being so shit though

"So Kimi, what would you improve on this car, how does it feel?"
"Just leave me alone"
"Understood"

He did fantastically well after massas accident. And it showed.

Alonsos "leadership" skills are so overrated. Team principals are/should be the team leaders. Drivers should know how to gove proper feedback and know exactly what they need in a car to be able to go faster.

If a driver's leadership skills are really that important, then what did Alonso do for Ferrari since he joined? Or Renault after rejoining them? Or McLaren in that awful year he was with them? There's no proof whatsoever that he made the team or a car better/faster... Except his 0.6 claim which might be true coz he cheated

Hammer24

Banned
Where does that leave Vettel and his LOI?

Under immense pressure to make a decision.

I very much doubt that. Money is of no concern in Stuttgart.

If this happen and somehow Hamilton goes to Ferrari, I'm sure the happier team is not either McLaren or Ferrari, right Hammer? The dream for Mercedes will forever be Vettel isn't it?

Sorry, I´m not sure I get the first part (English is not my first language). But as for VET @ MER? No, I don´t see that. Mercedes will always be a team first, constructors championship first team. The HAM signing was mainly thanks to Lauda, because they thought he could help move the team forward. While they knew their engine was going to be a rocket, everything else was guesswork, and a title a dream but no certainty.
VET on the other hand would move the focus from the team and the engine away to his person, and that's not something they want. He would not make any sense at all.
Don´t forget, they just recently signed a young talent as a safety net (f.i. if this bollocks three cars rule would come to fruition).

Sebastian has good rapport with the engineers at Red Bull. I wonder if he could drag some key personnel, Schumi style to Ferrari.

This I could easily see.

I for one, dont believe Newey is finished with Formula 1. Red Bull yes, F1 no..

This not so much.
Its quite contrary - he will stay an RB man. They are the ones to foot the bill, so he can achieve his dreams and ambition. There are two things you have to consider:
- he does not want to leave England at any cost, to stay close to his family (so Italy is out anyway)
- he wants to design the next RB sailboat for the America´s Cup (that's his bucket list #1 item)
What could he prove by helping getting FER to the top? He has already done this with other teams, every one in the world knows he is a genius at that. It´d be another multiyear project, which would factually rule out his dream to ever design the yacht.

John_B

Why all the fuss about the contract negotiation between Mercedes and Hamilton then? Are there other parts of his contract that Mercedes are unhappy about, or is this more Mercedes keeping their options open if things go nuclear between Rosberg and Hamilton?

If Hamilton went knocking RBR's door again, he would receive the same response he got 2 years ago "No, thank you". That surely mean he's a worst driver than Mark Webber, right? Mind blown.

To be honest, drivers like Schumacher, Senna, Prost, etc. could dictate the driver's market in the 1980s-1990s whereas the top drivers of our generation cannot. Does that speak volumes about how car-dependent has F1 become?

That's really what my previous post was about.

There is a lot of evidence to the contrary. They are trying to reduce Lewis's salary, which has then prompted rumours of him leaving even following 2014 (i.e. not exercising his option for 2015). Then they decided to postpone contract negotiations until after the season - doesn't really inspire a lot of confidence, does it?

Hammer24

Banned
Why all the fuss about the contract negotiation between Mercedes and Hamilton then? Are there other parts of his contract that Mercedes are unhappy about, or is this more Mercedes keeping their options open if things go nuclear between Rosberg and Hamilton?

Yes and Yes.

They are trying to reduce Lewis's salary..

I´d love to know where this comes from. I´ve heard nothing like this.

Then they decided to postpone contract negotiations until after the season

That was HAM decision, not the teams.

Zeknurn

While all the attention has been spent on Alonso we haven't been talking about the secretly best driver on the grid and for whom he will drive next year.

And although he has yet to beat his best 11th place finish from Monaco, Caterham's new team principal Manfredi Ravetto thinks Ericsson's performance in Singapore - where he finished ahead of main rivals Marussia in 15th - was a breakthrough.

That form has left Ravetto convinced that it should keep Ericsson for 2015.

"I saw a strong Ericsson in Singapore who did the best race of his season," Ravetto told AUTOSPORT.

"I am sorry for the opportunities he missed in free practice and qualifying due to technical issues, because without them I am sure he would have started in a better position.

"Even so, the fact is he superbly managed to keep both Marussias behind him and did a really fantastic race on a very difficult track.

"We are really very happy with the progress he made and our doors are open for him for next year.

"We have started talking to his management and to his financial backers because this year the team invested in his rookie development.

"Next year we would be delighted in having him again in our car and taking the fruits of this investment, rather than seeing him deliver for somebody else."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116029

Yes and Yes.

I´d love to know where this comes from. I´ve heard nothing like this.

That was HAM decision, not the teams.

Lewis Hamilton to be offered reduced terms in new Mercedes deal
Ferrari and McLaren to monitor Briton’s contract situation
Toto Wolff admits Nico Rosberg incidents are taking toll

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/sep/05/lewis-hamilton-mercedes-contract

You are right - it was HAM's decision, but Mercedes gladly agreed to, despite them knowing that he could very well make his decision to leave Mercedes in the meantime and that they did not do enough to secure his services for 2015 onwards like they did for Nico (by signing him to a highly lucrative deal during summer).

Hammer24

Banned
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/sep/05/lewis-hamilton-mercedes-contract

You are right - it was HAM's decision, but the Company gladly agreed to, despite them knowing that he could very well make his decision to leave Mercedes in the meantime and that they did not do enough to secure his services for 2015 onwards like they did for Nico (by signing him to a highly lucrative deal during summer).

You are aware, that the contract ROS signed only took him to the same level HAM got? He made only a third of HAM´s money before, while basically being on one level with him.
If Merc gladly agreed, I doubt. They showed him a lot of love and commitment. If he wasn´t willing to pay that back immediately, its better to wait and see than to go begging. Like I said countless times - the driver is not the most important thing for Merc (and in F1 as a whole).
As for the Guardian article - they cite unnamed "voices from Stuttgart". I´d bet these are the same voices, that would like to end the F1 engagement as a whole. But those still are the clear minority, and even less vocal than before, now that Merc finally gets some ROI. In short: I doubt that's true. Money wont be the issue in the upcoming contract talks per se. But I don´t expect a steep raise either.

Ark

I'm sure it's in Mercedes's best interests that Hamilton is as focused as possible on the title fight, bringing more fantastic performances that bring more media coverage, rather than being distracted by contract negotiations.

You are aware, that the contract ROS signed only took him to the same level HAM got? He made only a third of HAM´s money before, while basically being on one level with him.
If Merc gladly agreed, I doubt. They showed him a lot of love and commitment. If he wasn´t willing to pay that back immediately, its better to wait and see than to go begging. Like I said countless times - the driver is not the most important thing for Merc (and in F1 as a whole).
As for the Guardian article - they cite unnamed "voices from Stuttgart". I´d bet these are the same voices, that would like to end the F1 engagement as a whole. But those still are the clear minority, and even less vocal than before, now that Merc finally gets some ROI. In short: I doubt that's true. Money wont be the issue in the upcoming contract talks per se. But I don´t expect a steep raise either.

Given that things should be much tighter from 2015 onwards, relative value of drivers should increase.

Hammer24

Banned
Given that things should be much tighter from 2015 onwards, relative value of drivers should increase.

It wont, though. There are always exciting young talents pushing to get in. And with The Rise Of The Pay Driver (should be a movie title), it hasn´t been a drivers market for a while now.

It wont, though. There are always exciting young talents pushing to get in. And with The Rise Of The Pay Driver (should be a movie title), it hasn´t been a drivers market for a while now.

Will a top team really pass up on a Fernando or Vettel just to save a few bucks? Empirical evidence indicates quite the opposite, really.

Top teams have only employed top drivers, except McLaren with Lewis, Heikki and Magnussen. But they seem to have stop that practice now that they are trying to reboot their operations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom