• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer24

Banned
Will a top team really pass up on a Fernando or Vettel just to save a few bucks? Empirical evidence indicates quite the opposite, really.

Top teams have only employed top drivers, except McLaren with Lewis, Heikki and Magnussen. But they seem to have stop that practice now that they are trying to reboot their operations.

The market is getting smaller, that's the problem.
Several teams need pay drivers to even be able to continue. So where do the young talents (without the big sponsors) go? To the fewer big teams as well. And what everything points to, is the big teams to mix one experienced driver with a young talented one, just to make sure. And its cheaper to boot.
MER, and to a lesser extent FER, have been the exemption from the rule. But you really have to roll the following slowly in your mouth: Even ALO got asked to bring a sponsor. Do you taste bile yet?
MCL aiming to have BUT and ALO does not point in a different direction either. BUT is simply the wish from HON, and he wont be there long.
Whom do you expect to go there afterwards? I say a young talent, non-threatening to ALO.
Whom do you expect to go to FER, if ALO is gone and they retain RAI? I´d put money on a young talent too, preferably of Italian descent.

operon

He did fantastically well after massas accident. And it showed.

Alonsos "leadership" skills are so overrated. Team principals are/should be the team leaders. Drivers should know how to gove proper feedback and know exactly what they need in a car to be able to go faster.

If a driver's leadership skills are really that important, then what did Alonso do for Ferrari since he joined? Or Renault after rejoining them? Or McLaren in that awful year he was with them? There's no proof whatsoever that he made the team or a car better/faster... Except his 0.6 claim which might be true coz he cheated

His samurai quotes are a great example of his leadership qualities

If Vettel stays at Red Bull for 2015, I'm really curious to see who's going to take Alonso's seat. I'm also wondering how Kimi's going to perform in 2015. He's been pretty Massa so far.

Business

He did fantastically well after massas accident. And it showed.

Alonsos "leadership" skills are so overrated. Team principals are/should be the team leaders. Drivers should know how to gove proper feedback and know exactly what they need in a car to be able to go faster.

If a driver's leadership skills are really that important, then what did Alonso do for Ferrari since he joined? Or Renault after rejoining them? Or McLaren in that awful year he was with them? There's no proof whatsoever that he made the team or a car better/faster... Except his 0.6 claim which might be true coz he cheated

He has been fighting for titles, victories and podiums while significantly outperforming his struggling team mates. If he made the cars he drove throughout his career better it's impossible to know with the information we have, but compared to his team mates he has always delivered.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mclaren found the malfunction that almost cooked their driver - broken radiator seal, so hot air went directly beneath his seat/water bottle and into the cockpit

duckroll

Mclaren found the malfunction that almost cooked their driver - broken radiator seal, so hot air went directly beneath his seat/water bottle and into the cockpit

That sounds really fucking dangerous. Is Alonso sure he wants to go back to a team like that? :p

Dilly

Banned
He has been fighting for titles, victories and podiums while significantly outperforming his struggling team mates. If he made the cars he drove throughout his career better it's impossible to know with the information we have, but compared to his team mates he has always delivered.

And scored most points for Renault in the second half of the season when he rejoined.

Then again, MJ gonna MJ.

Ark

I'd find it slightly amusing if Button stays on next year and then retires from what is an almost spiritual Honda team.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mercedes explanation of Rosberg DNF

• Forensic analysis has revealed that the steering column electronic circuits were contaminated with a foreign substance. (/plays Beastie boys - Sabotage)
• This occurred during our normal pre-event servicing procedures at the factory and the substance found is used as part of our standard servicing procedure.
• The relevant design has been in use since 2008 (6 seasons) without experiencing any fault.
• The contamination was not visible and did not manifest itself until Sunday as Nico went to the grid, although the steering column was used throughout the weekend and the car fired up as normal on Sunday morning. (The X-files theme kicks in)
• The result was an intermittent short circuit in these circuits.
• As a consequence Nico could not command the clutch nor change engine settings.
• The car was ultimately retired because it was unsafe to execute a pit stop without command of the clutch.
• Fresh parts will be used at the forthcoming races.
• The team has been working intensively on reliability and quality processes during 2013 and 2014 in order to improve our performance in this area and these efforts will continue at the same intensive level over the coming months

Honda's last PU, the V8, was dogshit (less powerful and drivability). Brawn GP drivers confirmed it as soon as the Mercedes V8 was put in the car for the first time.

But that was them comparing an engine from 06 to one from 08 that was far more developed after Mercedes (along with Ferrari) swerved the engine freeze rule.

Still no Turbo or fuel supplier for 2015. Honda say they'll make a decision in Sept or Oct, maybe more details at Suzuka but:

Petronas recently announced that it took about 900 days from initial formulas to final product to produce their fuel and lubricants for just the 2014 season. Such are the developments that have been made in this area, the company also claim to extract up to 30% more power out of every drop of fuel – an incredible engineering achievement.

Honda why?

McLaren currently 30% down on other Mercedes runners.

That just shows that he's a bloody good driver. That has nothing to do with "leading" a team or anything!

For all we know he only creates problems in any team he's in. Examples?

- "F1 is no longer a sport" - Renault first time
- His claim that Renault don't want him to win the second title
- McLaren (do I need to say anything?)
- Renault's crash-gate
- Ferrari, nothing major but the team lost direction since he joined. I wouldn't really blame him for that I'd blame the stupidest Team Principal ever Dominicali. Because he's the "team leader"

frontieruk

- Ferrari, nothing major but the team lost direction since he joined. I wouldn't really blame him for that I'd blame the stupidest Team Principal ever Dominicali. Because he's the "team leader"

Unless Dominicali just followed what Alonso wanted to keep him at Ferrari, making Alonso the "Team Leader"

duckroll

Where is this "team leader" thing even coming from? Alonso is probably the best driver on the grid. He's paid to be a driver. Am I missing something here?

Unless Dominicali just followed what Alonso wanted to keep him at Ferrari, making Alonso the "Team Leader"

Actually, that's Di Montezemolo's fault.

In both cases I'm right. If it was Alonso who was running the team then he did a crappy job, thus, his ability to "lead" is shit

In the case of Dominicali/LdM running the team, which I believe is the case, they did a crappy job, thus, the ability to lead a team by a certain driver is overrated.

Drivers are there to drive and give accurate feedback. Or bring in millions if we count Prupose

Where is this "team leader" thing even coming from? Alonso is probably the best driver on the grid. He's paid to be a driver. Am I missing something here?

Alonso fans and stupid ass Dominicali when he said something in the lines of "If the car is good, Kimi is perfect, but when the car is bad and the team lacks leadership, Alonso is better"

Coming from the TEAM LEADER is a frikin embarrassment trying to buy himself more time by blaming the loss of 2008 and the crap job of 2009 on the drivers and not himself.. God I hated that guy

Fuck the baby with no face on that show made me sick, reminded me of the sort of shit karl pilkington talks about on the podcasts lol. Danny bit was ok a bit glossy tho.

Shaneus

Looks good, I'll check it out later, cheers for the heads up.

OT, I can't stand that guy presenting the segment with the kid after Danny. Just want to smack his smug self satisfied face every time he opens his mouth.

/impotent rage.
The guy interviewing Danny gave me the shits as well. Isn't he that vet from Bondi or something?

DBT85

I vote to keep the existing one, but then I did come up with the existing one so I might not be the most neutral.

Or, OT2 - Double points is fucking stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom