• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.
untitled-15qazhp.gif

John_B

Impressive lap by Vettel, though it seemed like there was a narrow optimal window where Hamilton and Vettel got decent times in.

Mercedes should be able to walk this tomorrow.

Well done Ham, gives him some British qualy record doesn't it?

With less engine emphasis, RBR look quick. I want no more wet races all year.

Why? I just hope we get close and exiting racing to the end,and no one runs away with the titel this year. Mercedes dominating dry races wouldnt be an improvement.

Nicktendo86

Honda, in hindsight, is now becoming a huge gamble, though.
I dunno, with the extra year of development, plus adding info gained from the merc, it should at least be decent. The real advantages are money coming in from Honda (a lot if rumours are to be believed) plus it is important to be a works team, look at merc.

The real problem with McLaren is the aero team, which has been in a shambles for years now. Hopefully PP should sort it out, it I don't see how much he can affect things for next season...

malyce

Impressive lap by Vettel, though it seemed like there was a narrow optimal window where Hamilton and Vettel got decent times in.

Mercedes should be able to walk this tomorrow.
Rosberg should win this easily as Lewis is bound to have some kind of car related failure.

Red bull has massive pace despite the engine troubles. Merc needs to snatch up as much points as the can now.

I dunno, with the extra year of development, plus adding info gained from the merc, it should at least be decent. The real advantages are money coming in from Honda (a lot if rumours are to be believed) plus it is important to be a works team, look at merc.

The real problem with McLaren is the aero team, which has been in a shambles for years now. Hopefully PP should sort it out, it I don't see how much he can affect things for next season...

They will get info from Merc; but at this time, it is very last minute to make radical changes to your engineering.

Also, Ferrari and Renault showed how important it is to get the software in tandem with the hardware. All 3 current manufacturers will have had 10,000s of km of running, whilst Honda will be starting from scratch.

Lastly, Honda did not benefit from an "extra year", as their involvement is more recent than its peers. IIRC, F,R and M started development of the current engines 3-4 years ago. Honda probably started what 2 years ago?

Nicktendo86

Very good points, it could go either way really. Bit of a gamble yes, but the potential rewards are great.

Anyway as I said, priority has to be to get the aero sorted. They keep lumbering from different concepts each year and focusing on gimmicks, f-duct, u shaped sidepods, now butterfly suspension. It is maddening.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Did Mercedes switched to smaller cooling solution for the race? They ran that huge engine cover exhaust yesterday and smaller today.

Dead Man

He ties Jim Clark with 33 poles. It's a 46 year old record. Could be under pressure as early as next week.

Damn, nice work Hamilton.

Why? I just hope we get close and exiting racing to the end,and no one runs away with the titel this year. Mercedes dominating dry races wouldnt be an improvement.

I want any other team to challenge Merc, RBR just shit me. Danny Ricky excepted, of course.

Ark

Another interesting qualy session! This season is already leagues ahead of last in that respect.

From all the practise times it looks like RBR are still notably off the Mercedes pace in the dry. Not surprised that Vettel managed to claw his way up there in the rain, the guy does have talent. I just hope Hamilton wins tomorrow or at least finishes second; if he retires or something goes wrong tomorrow I'm writing off a Hamilton WDC already.

If the race is dry tomorrow, I'm predicting a 5th place finish by Alonso.

EDIT: Dat age difference

Bj46xKCCQAAecVG.jpg

Ruruja

I'm hoping RBR's immense downforce helped them to be competitive in the wet. It would be quite a downer if after all the discussion about RBR's time being over, that it lasted 1 race.

They will get info from Merc; but at this time, it is very last minute to make radical changes to your engineering.

Also, Ferrari and Renault showed how important it is to get the software in tandem with the hardware. All 3 current manufacturers will have had 10,000s of km of running, whilst Honda will be starting from scratch.

Lastly, Honda did not benefit from an "extra year", as their involvement is more recent than its peers. IIRC, F,R and M started development of the current engines 3-4 years ago. Honda probably started what 2 years ago?
Honda have their Indycar engine which is a V6 turbo to use as a benchmark and they have the most experience out of the four when it comes to making hybrids. I'd say it's a calculated risk, kind of like putting a rookie in the car.

RoKKeR

Just woke up to check the standings. Man, disappointed by Williams. They're quite shit in the rain, which is a bummer because when it's dry the car can clearly put up top 10 times. And Bottas needs to break this habit of getting a grid penalty for each race.

Hoping they can work out their wet issues going forward.

Looks like Vettel did pretty well in the wet too. Red Bull looks like they've got a lot of good downforce in the rain which seemed to help? Unfortunately can't catch the race today either, times just don't work out.

DBT85

Just watched quali.

Was it me or is the audio mix better this week? Seems like there is more engine noise.

Might just be that last time I watched over Sky Go while today was at home in 5.1.

Great for Lewis. Surprised by Nico. Well done to Vettel for getting to the front row.

I think Newey makes his own physics up regarding aero. So good at it.

Hoping for a dry race, lots of Williams overtaking. Lewis win.

Ark

Just watched quali.

Was it me or is the audio mix better this week? Seems like there is more engine noise.

Might just be that last time I watched over Sky Go while today was at home in 5.1.

Great for Lewis. Surprised by Nico. Well done to Vettel for getting to the front row.

I think Newey makes his own physics up regarding aero. So good at it.

Hoping for a dry race, lots of Williams overtaking. Lewis win.

DICE should hire Newey to do physics for BF games. At least they'd have some then.

I think you're right about the audio mixing. I watched Melbourne on Sky and Malaysia too and I noticed the engines sounding more meaty. I guess it makes sense that even the FOM directors need a couple races to get used to the new noise ;)

On that note, I think I'll be using Sky all year for the races (Brundle, Crofty, Ted > Edwards, DC, Tom[?]). Although it'll be just the race, I'll stick to the Beeb for pre and post race stuff, I still can't bring myself to watch more than 30 seconds of Lazenby and his entourage.

DBT85

We are talking about a difference of >1s in dry conditions. Slighy better engines would do nothing for Red Bull.

I think a lot of people believe that the RB itself is an excellent car, and that with a Merc engine would be challenging if not topping Mercedes.

RB clearly had the pace in the twisty bits.

Staab

Don't forget about the Day light saving changes if you're in Europe, most countries are switching the clocks forward 1 hour...
so that makes the race @9am CET tomorrow (before clock change - about 13hours from now).
or @10am CET (after changing the clocks).

Chris R

Probably more of the same. Especially with the late start time...

They need to just start the race at the same time as Australia, sorry Eurogaf. No worry about the race being darked out either.

Hope it starts on time, don't want to be up beyond 2am if I don't need to be. Qualifying went longer than my DVR was set to record so I missed all of Q3 and half of Q2 :(

DBT85

They need to just start the race at the same time as Australia, sorry Eurogaf. No worry about the race being darked out either.

Hope it starts on time, don't want to be up beyond 2am if I don't need to be. Qualifying went longer than my DVR was set to record so I missed all of Q3 and half of Q2 :(

I have no problem with that. I'd rather the race didn't risk being a shit fest because of the weather every year! We have Silverstone for that.

Don't forget about the Day light saving changes if you're in Europe, most countries are switching the clocks forward 1 hour...
so that makes the race @9am CET tomorrow (before clock change - about 13hours from now).
or @10am CET (after changing the clocks).
I hate that shit. I'm never sure if my phone is going to change time automatically so I end up sleeping like crap because I'm worried about not getting up. :D

Yagami_Sama

I was expecting more from McLaren. I really hope that this not good qualification was due to horrible tires decision and in the race they have a similar performance as last race,
including RBR been disqualified XD

DICE should hire Newey to do physics for BF games. At least they'd have some then.

I think you're right about the audio mixing. I watched Melbourne on Sky and Malaysia too and I noticed the engines sounding more meaty. I guess it makes sense that even the FOM directors need a couple races to get used to the new noise ;)

On that note, I think I'll be using Sky all year for the races (Brundle, Crofty, Ted > Edwards, DC, Tom[?]). Although it'll be just the race, I'll stick to the Beeb for pre and post race stuff, I still can't bring myself to watch more than 30 seconds of Lazenby and his entourage.

I dont understand everyone's problem with Johnny Herbert, he's a pleasant, good natured man with opinions I dont mind hearing. Hill is alright. It's Lazenby who is the offensive one, that man's style is definitely grating. His style and mannerisms are better suited for a rugby or football match, not high end motorsport.

I dont understand everyone's problem with Johnny Herbert, he's a pleasant, good natured man with opinions I dont mind hearing. Hill is alright. It's Lazenby who is the offensive one, that man's style is definitely grating. His style and mannerisms are better suited for a rugby or football match, not high end motorsport.

Herbert and Hill are personality vacuums. Hill moreso than Herbert. I could see Hill killing a party dead just by walking into it. That said, I have nothing directly against them.

Lazenby though, he can fuck right off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom