• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Massa

Yeah, I usually just turn off all the assists right away and spend 20 hours crashing into everything before I get gud. Probably a lot less frustrating to do it gradually :D

Imo that's the way to go, it's much harder getting used to the lack of assists after you've had it easy.

Zeknurn

8PHV12y.png

Vsav2Ee.png

DrM

Redmond's Baby
It could bring some problems to both manufacturers, because it is known that both exploited this area before. There is some speculation that Ferrari exploited this a bit more for this season.

The virtual safety car worked pretty good in the GP2-race. Except for Marciello who spun the car at the restart and went from third to the back somewhere.

Edit: Maybe it would be better if it went green again for everyone when they pass the finish-line or something? It's harder for those who happen to be in a curve when the track goes green again.

DBT85

It could bring some problems to both manufacturers, because it is known that both exploited this area before. There is some speculation that Ferrari exploited this a bit more for this season.

Known?

Suspected maybe.

Not sure how you can have a constant fuel rate of at least 90kgh. I must be missing something because under braking you'd want almost none.

andshrew

The virtual safety car worked pretty good in the GP2-race. Except for Marciello who spun the car at the restart and went from third to the back somewhere.

It all seemed a little clumsy? They were going at an incredibly slow speed, and then just restarting anywhere on the circuit seems to invite trouble (like the guy who instantly spun out as he accelerated through a corner)

DBT85

It all seemed a little clumsy? They were going at an incredibly slow speed, and then just restarting anywhere on the circuit seems to invite trouble (like the guy who instantly spun out as he accelerated through a corner)

The point is that you save all the laps of waiting for the safety car to catch the leader, then the pack to bunch up, then the car to come in, while still maintaining a slow pace making it much safer to work on the track.

The drivers get a warning that the VSC is ending so if they cock up the restart that's their own problem.

andshrew

The point is that you save all the laps of waiting for the safety car to catch the leader, then the pack to bunch up, then the car to come in, while still maintaining a slow pace making it much safer to work on the track.

The drivers get a warning that the VSC is ending so if they cock up the restart that's their own problem.

I know, I'm just saying the entire process looked clumsy and the speed they were going looked borderline dangerous in terms of losing temperatures.

DBT85

I know, I'm just saying the entire process looked clumsy and the speed they were going looked borderline dangerous in terms of losing temperatures.

I've not seen it, but IIRC the VSC is supposed to be about the same speed as behind the safety car.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Not sure how you can have a constant fuel rate of at least 90kgh. I must be missing something because under braking you'd want almost none.

It's really weird, especially because the exploit is supposed to work such that you are always pumping more fuel than you need out of the tank and into a secondary buffer tank. The rule does not seem to prevent any exploitation at all. There must be some catch.

DBT85

It's really weird, especially because the exploit is supposed to work such that you are always pumping more fuel than you need out of the tank and into a secondary buffer tank. The rule does not seem to prevent any exploitation at all. There must be some catch.

The only thing I can think is that they are talking about using the data from the actual injectors rather than the fuel flow sensor.

DBT85

Adam Cooper's analysis on why the FIA acted on the fuel-flow rate and how teams could be bending the rules
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/analysis-why-the-fia-has-acted-on-fuel-flow-rates

Hockenheim has secured its 2016 GP
http://www.speedweek.com/formel1/news/74871/Hockenheim-2016-gesichert-e28093-GP-Fans-atmen-auf.html

It's understood that the FIA doesn't believe that anyone is actually currently bending the rules, especially after the issue was highlighted in testing. However, this latest move is clearly intended to ensure that it cannot occur, and put a stop to any suspicions from rivals.

So they don't think anyone is doing it, but other teams do.

Mastah

I've not seen it, but IIRC the VSC is supposed to be about the same speed as behind the safety car.

It certainly wasn't, they were over 40 seconds slower than GP3 under SC yesterday in sector 1 alone, so there was something wrong with delta time.

Not sure how you can have a constant fuel rate of at least 90kgh.
From what I got out of the article, they're looking for a constant rate under full throttle, ie when teams may or may not have been getting a small kick out of some trick plumbing around the sensor. If it stays steady it means there's no period of over/underpumping which may or may not give the alleged advantage.

Sounds sort of like the opposite of the engine over/underrun that kept the throttle partially open during the blown diffuser years; only this is temporarily holding back that fuel for a moment for a little burst instead of continuing to force it through abnormally which temporarily lowered torque for some extra grip coming out of corners. RBR had this down to an art form.

Disclaimer: Tales from my ass. I'm no engineer. I'd still prefer they axe fuel rates entirely during the actual races and let the teams figure out how to best use the 100kg.

BILD says Hammy wants a 3yr contract / 200m paid in US dollars, wants to keep the car after each season.

LOL, any truth to these claims Hammer?

I think it's €67m/yr paid in $ (so, actually more $, given €>$).

But, as I understand, most drivers are actually paid in USD so this is not contentious.

Zeknurn

Who's doing a Maldonado avatar bet this weekend?

Here are some suggestions:
Kimi podium
German Jesus win
Lewis DNF
McLaren points
Maldonado finishes a race

Jibbed

I think Crofty's finally lost his mind. He just described Catalunya as "the vindaloo of F1 curries". I don't even..

Hamilton is gonna walk this, Vettel or Kimi P2.

mclem

I remember Coulthard in a Superman cape when they were promoting Returns. Can we have Maldonado in a battered leather jacket, please?

Top Bottom