• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

mclem

clipboard02kjup4.jpg

I do hope Toro Rosso don't lose their soul when Renault buys them.

t9b77tM.jpg

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Looks like the same wing to me. I dont think they'd be able to copy Mercedes in a few days since they debuted a new one at china.

Plus Mercedes will be running nearly B-spec car when we arrive to Barcelona. They are preparing to replace almost every aero part with new one. From FW, engine cover, RW, floor...well, every team is preparing their first major package for Barcelona.

Hammer24

Banned
What on earth is going on? Hammer, any idea?

Money and ego - so basically the usual stuff... ;-)
HAM doesn´t want a #1 clause in his contract, but he wants to get paid like one. ROS last contract extension put him basically in the same salary bracket as HAM. Like I said, the team values them both. Now HAM wants a serious raise, which would put ROS contract out of whack again. MER doesn´t mind paying a champion bonus, but doesn´t want this to become a major distraction internally. So they haggle.
BTW, this FER rumors regarding HAM are bs. Everyone knows VET has a #1 clause - does anyone really think HAM would go there to be #2? REALLY?

MER drove extremely heavy yesterday, to get more tyre deg data. So they didn´t really setup the car for the race, but for said test.
Taking this into account, I expect them to be a good deal faster today. Yet I still expect FER to be closer than ever, mostly due to the rough tarmac + temps situation.

HAM doesn´t want a #1 clause in his contract, but he wants to get paid like one. ROS last contract extension put him basically in the same salary bracket as HAM. Like I said, the team values them both. Now HAM wants a serious raise, which would put ROS contract out of whack again. MER doesn´t mind paying a champion bonus, but doesn´t want this to become a major distraction internally. So they haggle.
BTW, this FER rumors regarding HAM are bs. Everyone knows VET has a #1 clause - does anyone really think HAM would go there to be #2? REALLY?

MER drove extremely heavy yesterday, to get more tyre deg data. So they didn´t really setup the car for the race, but for said test.
Taking this into account, I expect them to be a good deal faster today. Yet I still expect FER to be closer than ever, mostly due to the rough tarmac + temps situation.

I highly doubt that there's a #1 clause on vettels contract. Is this something you're certain of?

Seems Bernie is keen on a Hamilton to Ferrari move, wonder what role he might play.

Although I still think it's a negotiation tactic, Marchionne does admire Hamilton, Ferrari have the cash and allure if Hamilton wants to increase his (already high) status.

Not sure though Ferrari could manage a Vettel and Hamilton, #1 clauses aside.

Nope, I just know someone who seems to give me good news.

Not certain as in 100% certain. But I´ve heard it mentioned often enough, so that I would personally give it +70% certain. Remember, in F1 where there is smoke there usually is fire too. ;-)

True. But I'd assume kimis contract will have something to protect him also.

What do I know though

Ty4on

Does that mean Merc will also be even more dominating in qual pace? :/

What seems to be the consensus regarding the tires? From what I could hear options were a lot faster, but I don't know how deg is.

Hammer24

Banned
True. But I'd assume kimis contract will have something to protect him also.

Kimi is a content man right now. He neither wants nor needs protection of any kind. He said he wants to extend his contract, is happy with what ever clauses FER comes up with, and leaves it fully to them to extend or not.

Does that mean Merc will also be even more dominating in qual pace? :/

I don´t think so. Like I said, I expect FER to be closer than ever.
I only wanted to say that I think yesterdays times are indicative of nothing. Including the longrun comparisons, as I think MER ran way heavier than FER.

Upinsmoke

What did they say/ask?

It's just the way they've been belittling him. Putting words in his mouth. As a result Nico is coming across very defensive.

They keep banging on how he was booed at spa, "how does that feel Nico" how he is inferior to his team mate, no other driver gets the same treatment. I don't hear them questioning kimi to vettel's performance. Or massa to bottas etc.

Honestly listen to the last few times Ted Kravitz has spoke to Nico, it's cringeworthy bollocks.

John_B

Vettel and Hamilton at Ferrari would be amazing to see, but I doubt it would be great for the harmony of the team.

I still hope we get to see Hamilton at Ferrari though.

Ark

Hamilton and Vettel in the same team would be brilliant. I doubt there'd be any serious falling out, just endless passive aggression from both sides.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Hamilton and Vettel in the same team would be brilliant. I doubt there'd be any serious falling out, just endless passive aggression from both sides.

That would sooner or later ended in the barriers... also I seriously doubt that Ferrari management would be capable of taming two jupiter-sized egos in the same team for longer period of time.

Vettel and Hamilton in the same team would go down as well as Hamilton and Alonso. It would make a great show, but would be bad for the team.

Mastah

Mark Webber ‏@AussieGrit 9m9 minutes ago

Blood's boiling watching most single seater categories including F1 become completely dependant on extreme tyre management Let drivers push.

olore

Very interesting info you bring to the table Hammer, keep it up.

Drama or no drama, it would be epically awesome to see Lewis drive for Ferrari. The largest willy waving team on the grid.

Seeing Alonso at McLaren still feels weird. And he took his engineer with him I see... Even stranger seeing that guy in McL-clothes...

A bit offtopic.. Spa - can I drive this circuit in some game?

olore

Wow, that´s quite a list. I actually have boxed copies of that Geoff Crammond F1-sim and GPL in the basement. The cardboard boxes are huge, how packaging have moved on... No packaging at all these days! I guess the most painless way to drive Spa-F is to get Forza 5 or Project Cars. Either way thanks mate EDIT: And thanks to you Brote, was thinking that GT 6 should have it too.

I was thinking about how aerodependant F1 cars are and if the show would improve if - in some way - they were made to rely more on mechanical grip instead. I also think that would be a bit easier to comprehend for the general public than the black art of (invisible) downforce...

xrnzaaas

As for the Hamilton rumors... imo nothing's impossible. I year ago I would laugh if someone told me that Vettel will leave Red Bull and Alonso will end his career with McLaren. It could work if the team would keep them on a tight leash.

I doubt it. She's not stupid, she knows what she's there for.

Unrelated, I wonder if Ferrari is really that close to Mercedes on qualifying pace. Somehow I doubt it.

It would really surprise me if Ferrari would be close to Mercedes qualifying pace. They haven't been good on one lap for a long time. Race pace might be different.

That would make sense.

And Bernie would be salivating at the thought of potential 3x WDC going against 4x WDC in the same team, which happens to be the most popular team by a country mile. That's the spark he would need to boost viewership and interest in F1.

IMO, Hamilton is smart to delay signing (for anyone) so as to not interfere with the current season, as him announcing he would leave for Ferrari would impair his position within the team. However, if he can put enough of a gap between him and Nico, then the team would have to play it nice and fair (and otherwise, he could ask for a FIA inspector to be present like Alonso had in 2007 at McLaren). The big problem for Mercedes is that they set a precedent with that huge contract extension for ROS; had they not sign him to a ridiculously big contract, then HAM would have been tied up already, IMO. Why should HAM be paid 10-20% more than a guy he leads 13-5 in race wins over the past 21 GPs?

And Lewis going to Ferrari would allow Alonso to move to Mercedes. And F1's problems would then be solved.

EDIT: Ted reported during yesterday's F1 show that Arrivabene said Kimi would get the extension if he is fast enough...

I have to say that I'm surprised about all this Hamilton contract talk. Last week Lauda seemed very confident that it was a done deal with only some minor details that needed to be worked out.

Top Bottom