• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(The Gamer) Dragon Age: The Veilguard Might Give Us Our First Non-Binary Companion

Bashtee

I don't get it.

This is a fantasy setting. It's clearly a fantasy race. Let's assume the race consists of people who can reproduce with anybody of their own race by throwing gang signs at each other, Naruto style, and then suddenly, a dragon air drops a child. In my head, they would instead use the names in the conversations or invent a new pronoun because they were probably isolated for a while before learning the common language. They/them pronouns make 0 sense in my head for this setup.

All of this makes less sense if they actually do have two sexes.

Bioware has a fairly good track record with LGBT+ so this doesn't surprise me.

Anecdotally, Dragon Age was quite popular with my LGBT friends.
Yeah, that is true. And it made sense. I still remember the gay characters in Inquisition that you couldn't romance unless you had the same sex. It set a clear romancing boundary due to their preferences, which was novel and well-placed.

Yeah, I don't know. I enjoyed some of the mechanics in Inquisition, but Veilguard is turning the knob towards goofy and cartoonish a bit too much. It lost its dark fantasy element from what was shown in the trailers.

Fess

Tide is turning. Unless they’re super vague about this, which seems unlikely going by the dev text posted earlier, prepare to see another one bite the dust.

TheSweeper

I love the Dragon Age games and comics but their weird idea to use the Qunari as the Inclusivity race is absolutely stupid. In DA2 they were those fierce, strict, unbending people and in DAI they became the "popping the cork", "don't care about gender" guys. Iron Bull was already one of the worst characters BioWare has ever designed and this seems even more idiotic.

I remember when Dragon Age was first presented. They spoke of dark fantasy. Grim stories and hard choices and not about a characters pronouns or lack thereof.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I think it’ll do fine. Dragon Age is an established franchise and this looks semi-competent, but we never know with these people. If it does flop, BioWare is dead, yeah.
I honestly have no idea how this will play out. It’s been in development hell for a decade. The reaction to the reveal trailer was overwhelmingly negative + the characters look awful. The subsequent videos looked better, but nothing about it looks like Dragon Age.

Will the game actually be decent? I don’t know. Does Dragon Age still have that much prestige where millions of gamers are going to run out and buy it based on name alone? I don’t know.

This game is a wild card. Could be a massive surprise hit, a Concord disaster, or anything in between.

GUJXdZD.jpeg
ITS XA'AM
It's Xanax, with that attitude.

Bernardougf

Kinda crazy to see lukewarm opinions here, I am beyond sold on this game. Day fucking 0. It's basically refining everything great from Inquisition.

Surprised people aren't vibing with this, I think it looks excellent.

At least the resettlers are happy.
I've come to the conclusion that they dont buy games anymore, is basically a group therapy session (read "cult") ... if concord proved anything is that this people simply dont care about buying games.

Man, some of you people are sensitive. There’s not even anything confirmed here - just finding out one of the devs is whatever she is sends you into a tailspin.

I haven’t formed an opinion on the game yet (because, you know, it’s impossible) but I like the series in general. She says the game has always been ‘a safe space’ and I’ve never noticed anything out of order before, so no reason to get all pissy (yet anyway).

Perhaps some repressed feelings and urges “coming out” in some of these threads? Don’t worry, you almost certainly won’t turn gay if you play this… :messenger_tears_of_joy:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I've come to the conclusion that they dont buy games anymore, is basically a group therapy session (read "cult") ... if concord proved anything is that this people simply dont care about buying games.
Tbf, a lot of people are turned off by the game and basically 90% of people didn't liked that horned monstruosity in the last trailer.

You know you fucked up the design when even the purples shit on it :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

WoJ

So the talking points for this game to date have been full frontal nudity, more lines of dialogue than ever, and a mentally ill character with a fake gender.

I don't know if I am rooting for Bioware to be shuttered after this flops so I don't have to see what they've done to Mass Effect or if I'm rooting for Mass Effect to come out so I can laugh at how bad they've butchered my favorite franchise.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
So the talking points for this game to date have been full frontal nudity, more lines of dialogue than ever, and a mentally ill character with a fake gender.

I don't know if I am rooting for Bioware to be shuttered after this flops so I don't have to see what they've done to Mass Effect or if I'm rooting for Mass Effect to come out so I can laugh at how bad they've butchered my favorite franchise.

Bioware has had enough chances. This will have been three straight high budget games. At this point:

74d86be5-7357-4c06-b4cc-72efe8254d6e_text.gif

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Man, some of you people are sensitive. There’s not even anything confirmed here - just finding out one of the devs is whatever she is sends you into a tailspin.

I haven’t formed an opinion on the game yet (because, you know, it’s impossible) but I like the series in general. She says the game has always been ‘a safe space’ and I’ve never noticed anything out of order before, so no reason to get all pissy (yet anyway).

Perhaps some repressed feelings and urges “coming out” in some of these threads? Don’t worry, you almost certainly won’t turn gay if you play this… :messenger_tears_of_joy:
The “modern audiences” vibe has been oozing from this game even since they revealed the logo.

And FFS just look at the “development” section here:
Game has been rebooted multiple times and had massive staff turnover.

Maybe it’ll be a great game by some miracle. But it has a stink to it already.

Bernardougf

Tbf, a lot of people are turned off by the game and basically 90% of people didn't liked that horned monstruosity in the last trailer.

You know you fucked up the design when even the purples shit on it :lollipop_squinting:
Yeah but sometimes you have to put your money when you're mouth is even if you dont like it.. this game was a big chance to prove they exist (this modern audience)... would have saved the game ? Nop... but they wouldve at least tried and make a statement... they are all full of shit.. they just want to complain and move to the next complain to be made.. they dont give a flying fuck for games/movies/series etc.. is all about the message and acceptance

Last edited:
I thought you were kidding but nope, you’re right:

And the idea of being who you want to be carries a particularly special meaning for Corinne. “As a queer trans woman,” she says, “I have a perspective on the games that not everyone has. Dragon Age has long been a place where LGBTQIA+ folks can see people like themselves, represented respectfully. It’s inherently very queer, and it’s such a rare thing for marginalized communities to have representation where we feel proud and powerful in how we are depicted. It’s so deeply meaningful for so many. I often get emotional when I think about what it would have meant for a younger version of myself to see someone like her in a game, and as a hero, no less. I hope we can be a safe place for our queer players to know they are not alone, that they are brilliant and worthy, that they are not only welcome but celebrated.”
😐 If I play this game, I'm gonna have to skip all dialogue or put it on mute. This game is going to be lecturing me and calling me a bigot the whole time. Watch there be an enemy type called 'The Maga Repubs'

Draugoth

Gold Member
Dragon age veilguard will become the second biggest flop after concord.

Go ahead. Roll the dice. Idk how many times these retards want to test the waters with gamers and their fucking stupid ass woke agenda nonsense in games.

Dragon Age went from a Dark fantasy Lord of the Rings to basically LGBTQI+ Dungeons & Dragons. It's insane how different the first game is from Veilguard. Will i buy it? Yes. Will i like it? Probably not.

Last edited:

SyberWolf

next two failures coming up, this game and i predict Avowed will be the same type of failure. has that same vibe and look to it.

As a male of the shorter persuasion I can relate. I don't actually have a height but I feel 6'5, so ladies you can stop looking (down), I'm right here for ya.

Doom85

You know why this stuff works in something like The Last of Us but not here?

Because it's NOT OUR WORLD.

So injecting OUR (very very recent) linguistic politics into a fantasy world breaks the illusion instantly.

Is it recent though?

Say someone brought up a person named Alex, a name which is pretty widely used among both genders for English-speaking users in the US, in a sentence or two. But a pronoun was never used, and not enough info was given to really make one gender more likely than the other. Which of the following sentences would be correct?

“Alex, huh? What’s his deal?”
“Alex, huh? What’s her deal?”
“Alex, huh? What’s its deal?”
“Alex, huh? What’s their deal?”

The first two are using an assumption (insert “an ass out of u and me” quote) that are roughly 50% likely to be wrong. The third sentence is just unnecessarily rude. As far as I’m concerned, the fourth sentence was what to use, and this was long before someone being non-binary was a concept well-known to the general public.

If someone doesn’t identity exclusively as one gender so neither “he” or “she” would be quite correct, “they/them” makes the most sense based on how the English language has always been. So no, in terms of linguistics, it would not break my illusion of the fantasy anymore than a character saying, “some weather we’re having, huh?”

nkarafo

Alright, here is one thing i don't understand.

For decades, we were told that games is a niche for "nerds" or "gamers" and that it has to become something for everyone. Remember that?

Remember how Sony made gaming more mainstream with the original Playstation? Remember Nintendo making games more casual with the original Wii? Remember "accessibility"? The most common buzzword the industry would use in every game topic? Remember games being dumbed down so everyone can play them, including people who can't even comprehend games? Remember the industry literally trying to please...

Angry Gary Oldman GIF

Oh, i member. That was my biggest issue with the industry before the woke era started. It was the most important thing, the biggest priority, apparently every publisher wanted the whole population on earth to buy and "enjoy" their games. I mean, at least it makes sense financially, even though such task is impossible. But i could see why they would want that.

And yet, the last 10 years the industry is doing a full 180 and now tries to make it a niche once again. Except this time they don't want it to be for gamers or nerds, they want it to be for the LGBTQ community while trying to push everyone else away. Now they always say things like "this is not meant for you" or "no straight male nerds need apply" or labeling everyone else as "incels/racists/sexists/bigots" etc, while making all these weird design choices to pander to a certain group. Except this time this group is not big enough to sustain such industry.

So what happened to games for "everyone" then? Why are they trying so desperately to make them for a certain niche again, the smallest and most exclusive one yet?

Last edited:

Dynasty8

Alright, here is one thing i don't understand.

For decades, we were told that games is a niche for "nerds" or "gamers" and that it has to become something for everyone. Remember that?

Remember how Sony made gaming more mainstream with the original Playstation? Remember Nintendo making games more casual with the original Wii? Remember "accessibility"? The most common buzzword the industry would use in every game topic? Remember games being dumbed down so everyone can play them, including people who can't even comprehend games? Remember the industry literally trying to please...

Angry Gary Oldman GIF

Oh, i member. That was my biggest issue with the industry before the woke era started. It was the most important thing, the biggest priority, apparently every publisher wanted the whole population on earth to buy and "enjoy" their games. I mean, at least it makes sense financially, even though such task is impossible. But i could see why they would want that.

And yet, the last 10 years the industry is doing a full 180 and now tries to make it a niche once again. Except this time they don't want it to be for gamers or nerds, they want it to be for the LGBTQ community while trying to push everyone else away. Now they always say things like "this is not meant for you" or "no straight male nerds need apply" or labeling everyone else as "incels/racists/sexists/bigots" etc, while making all these weird design choices to pander to a certain group. Except this time this group is not big enough to sustain such industry.

So what happened to games for "everyone" then? Why are they trying so desperately to make them for a certain niche again, the smallest and most exclusive one yet?

Short Answer: Woke Mind Virus... Yeah, people don't like that answer but it's never been more true.

Long Answer: A lot of Inaccurate analytics and data have led many of the people in charge thinking this is EXACTLY what people want. They probably use various extremely left leaning media platforms to analyze data and came to this genius understanding that LGBTQIA+ people are so cool and the new norm, capitalism is always evil & fuck the patriarchy (ironic I know), all cops and white people are fascists, more than 50% of the population are LGBTQ, all characters have to look and sound like Gen Z because that's so "cool" nowadays, authenticity no longer matters and it's all about being politically correct. Also, this forced "incentive" push towards ESG scores and DEI hasn't done any favors for quality and innovation. Sorry for the long rant, excuse me while I go eat my Bigot Sandwich.

Reminds me of how cringe Krem was in Inquisition and Iron Bull defending her. You could ask him about Krem’s gender and he’d insist she’s a man and that if you had a problem, you could take it up with him.

You stupid son of a bitch, interdimensional portals are threatening to swallow Thedas. I don’t give a shit about your bandmate’s gender politics.
Yet you had time to go to the tavern where Krem was. Even indulge in some tavern songs. Funny that.

blue velvet

Another self-insert identity politics from the developers. These people are so hilarious and it's funny how creatively bankrupt these devs are. How can you inject 21st century politics on a game set on a different timeline/universe? We're not mocking these people hard enough, they should be laugh at and bully out of this medium. Videogame deserves better writers and creative minds.

Top Bottom