• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(The Gamer) Dragon Age: The Veilguard Might Give Us Our First Non-Binary Companion

And the idea of being who you want to be carries a particularly special meaning for Corinne. “As a queer trans woman,” she says, “I have a perspective on the games that not everyone has. Dragon Age has long been a place where LGBTQIA+ folks can see people like themselves, represented respectfully. It’s inherently very queer, and it’s such a rare thing for marginalized communities to have representation where we feel proud and powerful in how we are depicted. It’s so deeply meaningful for so many. I often get emotional when I think about what it would have meant for a younger version of myself to see someone like her in a game, and as a hero, no less. I hope we can be a safe place for our queer players to know they are not alone, that they are brilliant and worthy, that they are not only welcome but celebrated.”
'queer' now appears to be the way trans activists like to re-frame lgbtq. they're actually referring to what we've traditionally understood to be gay, but, by using 'queer', instead, they're somehow magically including themselves in the conversation. there's nothing about the series that's 'inherently queer', it's just happened to include gay (& not trans) characters. &, up till now, anyway, that's been fine with everyone, & never been made a big deal of. & then these narcissistic, proselytizing clowns showed up...

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Happy Daniel Bryan GIF by WWE

Raven117

I won’t be there day one, but I’ll see what the reception is.

This one fact on its own doesn’t sway me. The whole package (see e.g. concord) being a certain way, may do si

Chukhopops

I’m confused, I thought non-binary meant people who were neither gay nor straight? And most of the DAI cast would romance male and female MC meaning they would be non-binary by their own definition?

PeteBull

Gold Member
Did anybody expect anything less from Bioware though?
I expected them wanting to focus on top quality of the game, not pandering to wokesters, but i guess they think of retirement soon, with such aproach game sales gonna be way below expectations which usually leads to lay offs/studio clousure, super sad news coz i really love DA ip and overall werstern rpg genre :messenger_weary:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
They/Them can suck a big dick and pronouns in general can suck a dick but this non binary shite needs to fuck off into the sea, it's beyond idiotic and stupid, as I'm sure like most people in here, have no issues with the LGBT community, I regularly goto Pride with my mate to support his kid (plus day drinking is always a win) and have the greatest neighbours in the world (2 dudes) but that entire alphabet QUI++ shite at the end of LGBT can fuck off and any game that panders to them can fuck off too.

God I hope this game sucks, if it's a 90 i will end up buying it ffs

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

This game scream reeks of bankrupt junk artistry in a similar way to Concord.

My thoughts are the weight of the IP will make it sell some units so it won't huge flop, but a lot of old school fans are going to be disappointed.

When there are gazillion other great games releasing it's a very easy pass.

Portugeezer

Funny enough, that was the character people were pointing out couldn't tell if male/female a few days ago. To be fair Dragon Age has always been kinda gay, but we'll see how far it has gone today.

Cyberpunkd

And the idea of being who you want to be carries a particularly special meaning for Corinne. “As a queer trans woman,” she says, “I have a perspective on the games that not everyone has. Dragon Age has long been a place where LGBTQIA+ folks can see people like themselves, represented respectfully. It’s inherently very queer, and it’s such a rare thing for marginalized communities to have representation where we feel proud and powerful in how we are depicted. It’s so deeply meaningful for so many. I often get emotional when I think about what it would have meant for a younger version of myself to see someone like her in a game, and as a hero, no less. I hope we can be a safe place for our queer players to know they are not alone, that they are brilliant and worthy, that they are not only welcome but celebrated.”
How many terrible takes can you fold in a single quote? They/them:

Fun Yes GIF by Lilly Singh

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Kinda crazy to see lukewarm opinions here, I am beyond sold on this game. Day fucking 0. It's basically refining everything great from Inquisition.

Surprised people aren't vibing with this, I think it looks excellent.

At least the resettlers are happy.

Last edited:

Life Diff

Ah perfect, since DA:O I've been asking..nay shouting for a trans character in the game and finally my prayers have been heard. A return to gothic horror fantasy? Pah give me that identity politics babyyyyyy.

I thought you were kidding but nope, you’re right:

Giant hands and gay dude voice gave it away for me. Did you find his before picture too?

peish

What does "them" mean for DAVG? Do this character goes about conversation with they? us? It will be tiring for normal reader, no?

In the old gaming days, "them" usually means the character has another spirit inside them, they may transform into berzerker mode etc etc.

Last edited:

Hrk69

Gold Member
I thought you were kidding but nope, you’re right:

He isn't fooling anyone with that head

And we can assume he edited the photo too

Hookshot

Gold Member
Never played a dragon age game. Can the companions die? Am I going to see outrage articles about how people are deliberately offing this one?

Woopah

Bioware has a fairly good track record with LGBT+ so this doesn't surprise me.

Anecdotally, Dragon Age was quite popular with my LGBT friends.

Top Bottom