• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(The Gamer) Dragon Age: The Veilguard Might Give Us Our First Non-Binary Companion

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
No it's not, and you are doing a diservice to the writters that actually care about the worlds they build when saying stuff like that.
God I hate this kind of argument. “Your stupid little game is about wizards and dragons and stuff, that means we should have free rein to inject modern identity politics or anything else we want, what do you care, it’s fantasy!!”

Way to go mask off and admit you don’t give a shit about lore or world building, and just want to use it as a medium to push your agenda.

Alright, i didn't watched the timestamp before replying... i did now.
Jesus B. Christ... what the hell.
"His place in the world and who he is..."

W-what is this shit? Who ARE these "people"?!

Killer8

I thought you were kidding but nope, you’re right:

And the idea of being who you want to be carries a particularly special meaning for Corinne. “As a queer trans woman,” she says, “I have a perspective on the games that not everyone has. Dragon Age has long been a place where LGBTQIA+ folks can see people like themselves, represented respectfully. It’s inherently very queer, and it’s such a rare thing for marginalized communities to have representation where we feel proud and powerful in how we are depicted. It’s so deeply meaningful for so many. I often get emotional when I think about what it would have meant for a younger version of myself to see someone like her in a game, and as a hero, no less. I hope we can be a safe place for our queer players to know they are not alone, that they are brilliant and worthy, that they are not only welcome but celebrated.”

Apparently he has 15 years of industry experience.

The 15 years:

eLTsD1u.jpeg

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Alright, i didn't watched the timestamp before replying... i did now.
Jesus B. Christ... what the hell.
"His place in the world and who he is..."

W-what is this shit? Who ARE these "people"?!

What it is, is a director who has identity and body dysphoria issues himself, inserting his worldview into the game. That's all well and fine. Him and his colleagues can create what they want. Unfortunately for them, myself and many others are opposed to that particular worldview that's being pushed within society, so they will lose some money. Probably a lot.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Dragon Age went from a Dark fantasy Lord of the Rings to basically LGBTQI+ Dungeons & Dragons. It's insane how different the first game is from Veilguard. Will i buy it? Yes. Will i like it? Probably not.
I’m not buying it.

At this point I’m not buying anything that isn’t from software.

Everything else is a waste of time.

This hobby is trash. I’m over it.

thinking a little about it, I don't see this as that big a deal even if it is true. they're not pushing it as some front and center selling point or that you HAVE to use that companion or what not. it's just there, that's all. I think we can accept at least that much. it's when they're forcing us to accept these sorta things without other choices that I'll be against it. thou I've never played any of the other games in the series, so I can't speak for the fans, of course.
Yeah, I'm of two minds on this subject. I am sick of the way a lot of devs talk online, their purple haired pics with their black trans lives matter line in their bios, none of that really matters in gaming. RGP's have had same sex romance options in them for a long time and rightfully so, these are games for everyone and romancing people is generally optional.

That being said I don't believe "non binary" is a real thing anyway, nobody wakes up and says "I feel like a man/woman" they feel like themselves as an individual who happens to be either a man or a woman. This whole "I don't feel like either thing" is just a way for boring people to try to make themselves interesting and sadly to people of a certain age group it seems to work.

Why is a character's sexuality/gender even something being considered? Just create whatever character design and "body type" you want and move on. We don't care what they identify as, pronouns, blood type, shoe size, etc. This isn't even a personalized avatar in the game; it's just one of many NPCs.

I don't play NFL or NBA games and lament about how my white ass isn't "represented". I actually have an imagination and the self-esteem to put myself in the shoes of whichever man, woman, or animal that I control on the screen.

This is the type of decision that radicalizes people against their agenda. If you had asked me about this even five years ago, I would have chuckled. Now I see the harm these organizations have done to an industry that shaped my life and I am concerned enough to type out paragraphs on an Internet forum. What's next?

That being said I don't believe "non binary" is a real thing anyway, nobody wakes up and says "I feel like a man/woman" they feel like themselves as an individual who happens to be either a man or a woman. This whole "I don't feel like either thing" is just a way for boring people to try to make themselves interesting and sadly to people of a certain age group it seems to work.
as the world economic forum'd say, 'in the future, you will own nothing'. well, other than your gender, it'd appear. i'm thinking it's sorta their consolation prize to the younger generation?...

Reaseru

On a more serious take, I think that Dragon Age franchise died alongside the old Bioware just right after Mass Effect 3, their last great game.

Bioware never recover from the fanbase disapointment/controversy with the ME3 ending. Both Ray Muzyka and Grey Zeschuk departures also took its toll on the company.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
We really need to hold some sort of Gaming LOLcow of the Year tournament. This year's lineup has quite a lot of strong contenders: Ubisoft, Concord/Firewalk Studios, Dustborn, Sweet Baby Inc, Rebekah Valentine (Black Myth Wukong hitpieces), the Genshin Impact "boycott", and DA: Veilguard.
Don't forget the exquisitely delightful Alyssa mercante.

after-her-challenge-to-fight-was-accepted-kotaku-senior-v0-IMAQ3wXFTxRmyERBImmKiJ_9aLAtrFYHWMMEQ7NZek4.jpg

Madflavor

People seem pretty confident this will flop. I wouldn’t be so sure, Dragon Age has good sized following. I think Inquisition was BioWare’s highest selling game.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Apparently he has 15 years of industry experience.

The 15 years:

eLTsD1u.jpeg
A bit more. His linkedin shows a few PS2/Xbox 360 era Tiger Woods games under his belt.

So an EA employee with long tenure (including EA buying Headgate Studios which those golf games were made) and experience with Sims, golf, Simpsons and a Nerf game is a director on an RPG. That sure makes sense.

Last edited:

Raven117

Godspeed, Bioware. Not long now until you’re of put out of your misery.
Regardless of the “woke” stuff, I don’t think Bioware has long to live at this point.

This is there last shot. I know I won’t be buying day 1… but May if impressions are good. Maybe we all be delightfully surprised that everything is in balance and it’s awesome.

laynelane

People seem pretty confident this will flop. I wouldn’t be so sure, Dragon Age has good sized following. I think Inquisition was BioWare’s highest selling game.

To me, it looks like efforts are being made with this title to appeal to new players - eg. game play mechanics, tone, etc. That's sensible too, but there has to be a balance. If you change it too much, that good sized following will not buy the game and negative word of mouth will impact the decision for some new players too. From what I'm seeing, this game is not striking a good balance in this area. Time will tell, of course.

IAmRei

I guess i will play older DAO or less fine DA2, still fine game and have lot of charisma than this violet turd... I can stomach old graphic and still can use reshade and mods to spice things. Still thousand leagues better than newer games especially like this, ugh.

Ozzie666

Dragon Age has a fan base to speak of, thirsty for a return to glory. I doubt it fails like Concord, which had zero fanbase. The game may sell okay, but it may not be enough for the company to keep BioWare alive. I hope I am wrong and it is received well. But honestly, Baldurs Gate 3 kind of set a new bar for these types of games.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Dragon Age has a fan base to speak of, thirsty for a return to glory. I doubt it fails like Concord, which had zero fanbase. The game may sell okay, but it may not be enough for the company to keep BioWare alive. I hope I am wrong and it is received well. But honestly, Baldurs Gate 3 kind of set a new bar for these types of games.
That fanbase u speak of, are ppl like myself who loved DA:I and played/enjoyed whole 120h of it back at launch, and lemme tell u something- we are absolutely disgusted with how new DA is shaping up to be, our hard earned money will stay in our wallets, there are plenty promising games out there that will apreciate our support instead :)

MacReady13

Dragon age veilguard will become the second biggest flop after concord.

Go ahead. Roll the dice. Idk how many times these retards want to test the waters with gamers and their fucking stupid ass woke agenda nonsense in games.
Agreed. Easy for me to make a decision lion whether to buy this shit or not. I have plenty to keep me occupied and will gladly skip this bullshit.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Id hold your horses chaps, we've been starved of a decent western RPG since BG3 so if this is anyway decent it'll do extremely well regardless of gender politics, personally I hate all that shite but if this is a 85+ game I'll probably buy it to play something new in a genre I really like

Top Bottom