• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ghost Chili is dead, the new hottest chili is grown inSouth Carolina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

carolina-reaper-pods%201.jpg

http://news.msn.com/offbeat/worlds-hottest-chili-is-spicier-than-most-pepper-sprays?ocid=ansnews11

Ed Currie holds one of his world-record Carolina Reaper peppers by the stem, which looks like the tail of a scorpion.

On the other end is the bumpy, oily, fire-engine red fruit with a punch of heat nearly as potent as most pepper sprays used by police. It's hot enough to leave even the most seasoned spicy food aficionado crimson-faced, flushed with sweat, trying not to lose his lunch.

Last month, The Guinness Book of World Records decided Currie's peppers were the hottest on Earth, ending a more than four-year drive to prove no one grows a more scorching chili. The heat of Currie's peppers was certified by students at Winthrop University who test food as part of their undergraduate classes.

But whether Currie's peppers are truly the world's hottest is a question that one scientist said can never be known. The heat of a pepper depends not just on the plant's genetics, but also where it is grown, said Paul Bosland, director of the Chile Pepper Institute at New Mexico State University. And the heat of a pepper is more about being macho than seasoning.

"You have to think of chili heat like salt. A little bit improves the flavor, but a lot ruins it," Bosland said.

Related: Hot and spicy chicken is all the rage in Nashville

Some ask Currie if the record should be given to the single hottest pepper tested instead of the mean taken over a whole batch. After all, Usain Bolt isn't considered the world's fastest man because of his average time over several races.

But Currie shakes off those questions.

"What's the sense in calling something a record if it can't be replicated? People want to be able to say they ate the world's hottest pepper," Currie said.

The record is for the hottest batch of Currie's peppers that was tested, code name HP22B for "Higher Power, Pot No. 22, Plant B." Currie said he has peppers from other pots and other plants that have comparable heat.

The science of hot peppers centers around chemical compounds called capsaicinoids. The higher concentration the hotter the pepper, said Cliff Calloway, the Winthrop University professor whose students tested Currie's peppers.

Related: Hot sauces may contain dangerous levels of lead

The heat of a pepper is measured in Scoville Heat Units. Zero is bland, and a regular jalapeno pepper registers around 5,000 on the Scoville scale. Currie's world record batch of Carolina Reapers comes in at 1,569,300 Scoville Heat Units, with an individual pepper measured at 2.2 million. Pepper spray weighs in at about 2 million Scoville Units.

Pharmacist Wilbur Scoville devised the scale 100 years ago, taking a solution of sugar and water to dilute an extract made from the pepper. A scientist would then taste the solution and dilute it again and against until the heat was no longer detected. So the rating depended on a scientist's tongue, a technique that Calloway is glad is no longer necessary.

"I haven't tried Ed's peppers. I am afraid to," Calloway said. "I bite into a jalapeno — that's too hot for me."

Now, scientists separate the capsaicinoids from the rest of the peppers and use liquid chromatography to detect the exact amount of the compounds. A formula then converts the readings into Scoville's old scale.

Related: What are US presidents' favorite foods?

The world record is nice, but it's just part of Currie's grand plan. He's been interested in peppers all his life, the hotter the better. Ever since he got the taste of a sweet hot pepper from the Caribbean a decade ago, he has been determined to breed the hottest pepper he can. He is also determined to build his company, PuckerButt Pepper Company, into something that will let the 50-year-old entrepreneur retire before his young kids grow up.

The peppers started as a hobby, grown in his Rock Hill backyard. The business now spreads across a number of backyards and a couple dozen acres in Chester County. As his business grew, Currie kept his job at a bank because he promised his wife, whom he wooed a decade ago by making her a fresh batch of salsa, he wouldn't leave the lucrative position until they were out of debt. She released him from that vow in February.

Currie has about a dozen employees. Even with the publicity of the world record, he still gets nervous about making payroll. He said the attention has helped him move closer to the goal of making PuckerButt self-sustaining.

Currie's peppers aren't just about heat. He aims for sweetness, too. He makes sauces and mustards with names like "Voodoo Prince Death Mamba," ''Edible Lava" and "I Dare You Stupit" with a goal to enhance the flavor of food.

Related: Sriracha maker: Calif. delaying sauce shipments

And the hot pepper market is expanding. In less than five years, the amount of hot peppers eaten by Americans has increased 8 percent, according to U.S. Department of Agriculture statistics.

Currie's world record has created quite a stir in the world of chiliheads, said Ted Barrus, a blogger from Astoria, Ore., who has developed a following among hot pepper fans by videotaping himself eating the hottest peppers in the world and posting the videos on YouTube under the name Ted The Fire Breathing Idiot.

Barrus said Currie's world record is just the latest event in a series of pepper growers to top one another with hotter and hotter peppers.

"That's the biggest bragging rights there are. It is very, very competitive," he said.

Related: Wienerschnitzel is now a historic landmark

The reason people love super-hot peppers isn't much different than any other thrill seekers. Barrus talks lovingly about trying the Carolina Reaper, even though the peppers usually send him into spasms of hiccups and vomiting.

"You only live once. This is safer than jumping out of an airplane," he said.

Barrus said Currie's news has other growers sending him peppers that seem hotter than the Carolina Reaper on his tongue, although they will await scientific testing.

That's fine with Currie. He knew the record would be challenged quickly and has sent off what he thinks are even hotter batches to the students at Winthrop University to test.

"Nobody is going to grow hotter peppers than Ed Currie," he said.

South Cacklackey representing. Too bad Adam Richman is retired.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I believe the correct term is undead.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I've had a ghost chili. I've had it on pizza and I've had a salsa made with it. It's pretty hot.

kick51

Banned
But what's the name??? Searched Op but can't find it!

you forgot to check the first sentence

never understood people's fascination with hot food. It all tastes the same.

I've never understood people who think their experience is the only true experience of that thing.

like, there are probably tens of thousands of ways to serve spicy food, but it all tastes the same, really? Even a jalapeno and habanero are worlds apart in flavor.

usea

I love spicy food, but I am legitimately terrified of biting into one of those super-hot peppers. I've seen the videos. I'm not excited about an entire day's worth of agony. Maybe for a few grand.

I'd lick one. Even that would hurt for a while, as I have consumed many novelty hot sauces which burned for hours.

Love it.

A co worker brought me a Trinidad Scorpion after coming back from a visit home. It was.... well it was too much for me and I eat habanero's with food like they're chips.

kazebyaka

Banned
like, there are probably tens of thousands of ways to serve spicy food, but it all tastes the same, really? Even a jalapeno and habanero are worlds apart in flavor.
it all tastes like generic "hot" to me. Can't blame others for enjoying it, but i don't get it.

This part caught me off guard:
"You only live once. This is safer than jumping out of an airplane," he said.
Seems like a strange thing to compare, since one is thrilling and the other agonizing.

Habanero salsa is amazing stuff.

The thing I like about the ghost chilli is it has a very unique smell and taste. Unless the new one has that, I'll be sticking to ghost chilli. I love ghost chilli pickles mmmmmm

Stet

Banned
"You have to think of chili heat like salt. A little bit improves the flavor, but a lot ruins it," Bosland said.

I've been saying this for years. Even on GAF I've come across the opposite mentality.

kick51

Banned
I've been saying this for years. Even on GAF I've come across the opposite mentality.

It doesn't actually make that much sense. A drop of habanero sauce in soup just makes it generically spicy, a teaspoon full actually lets you taste the pepper flavor.

That's just one more reason why these super peppers make no sense. Just get some capsaicin in a jar to sprinkle on your food already because the pepper has nothing to do with it.

The Adder

Banned
It doesn't actually make that much sense. A drop of habanero sauce in soup just makes it generically spicy, a teaspoon full actually lets you taste the pepper flavor.

That's just one more reason why these super peppers make no sense. Just get some capsaicin in a jar to sprinkle on your food already because the pepper has nothing to do with it.

Bingo. That's why I chop up a habenero and a half for a pot of soup. It ends up really hot to mosy people, but there is a flavor missing without then.

mavs

It looks like it's been mustard gassed.

it all tastes like generic "hot" to me. Can't blame others for enjoying it, but i don't get it.

I'm with this guy. Took me years to find out jalapenos have a flavor. Anything hotter just tastes like pain.

I'm only peripherally into the whole superhot chili scene, but I was fairly certain the Trinidad Scorpion had beaten out the Ghost Pepper as being officially recognized as the hottest at least a year ago?

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Pepper.jpg

The Merciless Peppers of Quetzalacatenango … grown deep in the jungle primeval by the inmates of a Guatemalan insane asylum.

Here in Denmark a guy know at youtube as Chili Claus has become famous over the summer by testing out chili and putting it up on youtube, now he invites celebrecies to his shows.

Now recently they had the Caroliner Reaper, and honestly, I was surprised how tame their reactions were considered it's the worlds hottest chili. I mean, they are coughing and spitting, and their faces were red, but I thought it would be worse.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Because it is wrong and different people have different preferences.
Congratulations, you don't like hot stuff. I do. I am not wrong and neither are you.

Jado

Banned
never understood people's fascination with hot food. It all tastes the same.

Except it doesn't all taste the same. Fucking absurd.

Each person has a different tolerance for spiciness. Go to a Viet or Malay restaurant and the regulars are eating their dishes much spicier than you and they can taste everything just fine. Your very mild flavor preference doesn't mean they somehow fucked up the dish.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
These super hots are hot as hell but most have a ton of flavor.

Eating them raw with food minimizes the overload of heat as well.

Stet

Banned
Each person has a different tolerance for spiciness. Go to a Viet or Malay restaurant and the regulars are eating their dishes much spicier than you and they can taste everything just fine. Your very mild flavor preference doesn't mean they somehow fucked up the dish.

Because it is wrong and different people have different preferences.
Congratulations, you don't like hot stuff. I do. I am not wrong and neither are you.

Spiciness isn't a flavour. I also think you and others are underestimating what I and the person I quoted mean when we say "a little bit." It's kind of defensive to jump straight to telling me I don't like "hot stuff" when I haven't said anything of the sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom