• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Grand Jury in the Tamir Rice Case Did Not Take a Vote on Charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
And when we have protests about how it's not cool, because you know it was a kid getting shot by a cop for no reason after all, the real problem is that the protest is making people late at work?
Did I just stumble in some alternate dimension where it's ok to kill people or something?

Well, Trump is most likely getting the nomination and will be one of your choices to become the President of the United States and leader of the free world...so I'd say this lines up with the dimension where it's okay to kill people
if you are a cop and the people are poor and/or of colour

Mael

Well, Trump is most likely getting the nomination and will be one of your choices to become the President of the United States and leader of the free world...so I'd say this lines up with the dimension where it's okay to kill people
if you are a cop and the people are poor and/or of colour

I'm starting to understand preppers...
time to buy a lifetime supply of dried milk...

The Kree

Banned
I don't know I'm pretty sure that there might be someone somewhere that has some ideas on how to improve things. Maybe that's ending mandatory minimums and sentencing guidelines, ending broken windows policing, or appointing a special prosecutor for police misconduct.

Are you really suggesting that the best way to go about this is to just be mad and hope society at large figures out all of the details for you? You really think that there is nobody, white, black, or whatever out there that has any good ideas on how to improve the situation? No way to clean up dirty cops, improve community policing, or find ways to make these charges stick? That's oddly defeatist. If it's hopeless, then what's the end game? Armed revolt? I hope the answer is no, but...

Black people can fight back however they want, but I will be frank, just being mad isn't going to change a thing.

Don't educate. don't do anything but be mad, but don't be surprised when nothing changes either, because people don't care about stuff they don't really understand

I agree with you that people should not need to be convinced not to sit on the fence, but they do. Either white people are actively evil, or they don't understand enough to care.

I think white people, in general, understand that black people are mad, but the next question is "Why are you mad?" And the next question after that is "What do you want to be done about it?"

And if you don't have good answers to those questions, people move on.

I know those answers exist, because people have shared them, but they are not widely known by white people.

Let's ask some black people: Have you folks done anything other than "just be mad?" Have you tried to educate yourselves? How about educating others? Have you petitioned? Have you fought crime in your own neighborhoods? Have you tried running for office? Have you tried starting businesses? Have you done anything in an attempt to gain political and social capital so that you can change the power structure more in your favor?

If you've done any of that, how's that been working out for you? Or do you all "just be mad all the time?"

KingV

Let's ask some black people: Have you folks done anything other than "just be mad?" Have you tried to educate yourselves? How about educating others? Have you petitioned? Have you fought crime in your own neighborhoods? Have you tried running for office? Have you tried starting businesses? Have you done anything in an attempt to gain political and social capital so that you can change the power structure more in your favor?

If you've done any of that, how's that been working out for you? Or do you all "just be mad all the time?"

After reading that, you're right. That was an ignorant comment.

I apologize.

That non-violent protests change nothing. When major race riots happened in multiple US cities at the same time legislation was passed. Its been proven over and over in history, if a repressed population wants something to change. It requires violence.

When it comes to black issue non-violent protest have proven to be ineffective. It took a civil war for blacks to be considered human and equal to whites. It took a lot of disruption by the NAACP and violence to get the civil rights act to pass. It took the National guard to allow black children to attend school in certain areas.

To all those so called "moderates" that bitch about BLM, just remember for issues relating to blacks, most of the biggest changes require some blood and disruption. I mean there is a reason why MLK jr consider White moderates to be the biggest wall to racial equality. Some white moderates believe just because they are not in the KKK doesn't mean they are not prejudice. Their views are far more destructive because they lack the capacity for self-introspection.

Enzom21

After reading that, you're right. That was an ignorant comment.

I apologize.

What purpose of all of your posts in this thread? Honestly? Was it to vent you anger about how some people in BLM protested Sanders? What is with you Sanders supporters and black people?

KingV

What purpose of all of your posts in this thread? Honestly? Was it to vent you anger about how some people in BLM protested Sanders? What is with you Sanders supporters and black people?

Honestly, no. I was responding to someone who mentioned something about respectability politics, and was trying to provide some (unadmittedly unsolicited) outside perspective about why I perceive that it exists. Personally I think white and black people talk across each other alot.

It was a poor choice of venue, and probably not well-explained, so I apologize to those I offended. I did learn some things though, so thanks for those that provided some links.

I am a Bernie Supporter but its not that serious compared to a lot of people. I don't consider myself to be in some kind of Bernie Support Force patrolling the internet for slurs against him or have a man bun or whatever. I do think he is the best current candidate to roll back the police state, but I'm sure people have their reasons for disagreeing.

Mr. X

OK, I can understand that and would be happy to help educate my peers (really I already do that, but can probably do it better)

Do you think there's anything worth reading/watching that makes the case particularly well?

I kind of think that the news should be enough, but I'm sure that there is something more eloquent available.

If the news isn't enough (-_-) there's books and research that one could find about the topic

http://newjimcrow.com/

https://play.google.com/store/books...o_Newt_Gingrich_Race_in_the_C?id=bh2cP5rfdBgC

These were required reading in college for my US History class.

akira28

the system will work to protect assets they know are bad. I know this. For a fact. And I'm the only fucking person on this planet that knows this. (no I'm fucking not, you know better than that.)

commedieu

Banned
And when we have protests about how it's not cool, because you know it was a kid getting shot by a cop for no reason after all, the real problem is that the protest is making people late at work?
Did I just stumble in some alternate dimension where it's ok to kill people or something?

No.. its America.

TalonJH

See, I thought it MIGHT be sarcasm...

... But I just came fresh off of Yahoo News comments. And this stuff was said quite sincerely over and over and over...

... That tends to screw with my ability to detect sarcasm unless it's blatantly obvious.

LMAO, that's understandable.

Mael

I'd suggest not doing that.
The more one tend to learn the angrier they get.
I have no idea what my options would be if I were American already.
The situation is one the biggest and long running joke I've had the displeasure of seeing.
A lot of things not even related make a lot more sense when you get all the pieces.
I have no idea why minorities aren't forming paranoid preppers militias in the US.
People talk about "forgive and forget" or some shit, seriously they're the most forgiving christ like figures I've ever seen this side of the actual bible.

Garlador

I asked my friend these questions.
His responses:

1) Yes. He's protested, demonstrated, marched, and stood in solidarity with other protesters and demonstrators, as well as called and written to government officials and representatives.
2) Yes, he's very well-educated on what's happening.
3) He's tried. He says most people in our area ignore him. Most of them are, of course, white. "They admit racism exists, but of course THEY can't be racist" he tells me.
4) He has.
5) He has.
6) He says he is not cut out for politics, mostly due to being a poor speaker, poor team player, and generally being quite awkward in public.
7) He's struggled to find employment period and has no means to start his own business.
8) He says any attempts to do so are met with walls of discouragement, indifference, and even outright hostility.

He ultimately says it's frustrating as hell because, at the end of the day, he's a big, giant, tall, large, intimidating-looking black man who has faced discrimination and prejudice for decades, and any attempts to speak out are shut down, any attempts to gain influence are last, any attempts to get promotions are looked over, and any attempts to protest are met with anger.

He's the type of guy who took me to his church. I was the only white guy there, but he did his very best to make sure everyone made me feel welcome and appreciated. He didn't care where I was from or what I looked like; he just wanted to be my friend, and screw anyone who thought I didn't belong there.

nah, that's just the real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom