• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Grand Tour |OT| ...of the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrible

Banned
I don't get all the hate and people moaning about 'scriptedness'

It's always been scripted. I personally think episode 1, 3 and 4 have all been hilarious. Laughing loads. I've even rewatched them a couple of times.

They're basically just 100% acting now while before it was more improv and them just goofing around. There's also some serious flanderization going on. It isn't just a Grand Tour thing, it was slowly happening over the last several seasons of Top Gear too. It's becoming more consistent episode to episode though as time goes on.

Earlier Top Gear was still entirely scripted in that all the scenarios that played out were scripted but the dialog seemed more natural and ended up being way more entertaining as a result. Things like Clarkson almost driving off a cliff in Bolivia or being chased out of town in the first USA special were quite obviously scripted but it wasn't as over the top like it is now.

Timbuktu

I'm kinda looking forward to LeBlanc, Harris and Reid now, that might work better without Evans and maybe feel a bit fresher.

Sure, it has always been scripted. But you've got the super obvious scripted episodes and the subtle scripted ones.

The latest episode is getting closer to the Top Gear magic. Still a bit too scripted for my taste though. I would love just another shitty car challenge somewhere around the world. Just them touring about with crappy cars. Bit less of this over the top stuff.

Everyone loves them. But keep in mind how few of them there are compared to other non special episodes.

jett

D-Member
Never gonna like the American, and I'm pretty fed up of their celebrity gag, but this was a highly enjoyable episode. Hammond's car was honestly a bit genius.

Never gonna like the American, and I'm pretty fed up of their celebrity gag, but this was a highly enjoyable episode. Hammond's car was honestly a bit genius.

Hammond's car was awesome

And screw Amazon....first two episoded were glorious 4k for me ... and now I can only watch 4K but with a german dub...meh HD but original it is then...

Lima

Yes Jezza finally gets to talk about his love for Alfa Romeo 4C

His 🥕 came out. Lmao I can't breathe.

AristoCat

That alfa 4C moment with dusty springfield on the background, so nice.

yzgt68ydsndqrwthzshk.gif

RoKKeR

That was HANDS DOWN the best episode yet. Great cars, great cinematography, great banter/hilarity/unpredictability and the scripting was there but subtly so.

Seriously good stuff.

Was cracking up with the weights segment. The Alpha 4C montage was also great and there were some amazing shots during the final race.

Thumbs up from me.

Edit: And I almsot forgot about the Battleship! That was over the top in all the right ways. Nothing about this episode felt like it was "trying too hard", which was the biggest issue with Episode 2. Thankfully things have been better since then.

ferr

That was HANDS DOWN the best episode yet. Great cars, great cinematography, great banter/hilarity/unpredictability and the scripting was there but subtly so.

Seriously good stuff.

Was cracking up with the weights segment. The Alpha 4C montage was also great and there were some amazing shots during the final race.

Thumbs up from me.

Edit: And I almsot forgot about the Battleship! That was over the top in all the right ways. Nothing about this episode felt like it was "trying too hard", which was the biggest issue with Episode 2. Thankfully things have been better since then.

Definitely feel like they're improving a little here and there each episode.

Seriously good stuff.

Thumbs up from me.

Triggered

Enosh

great episode, battleship was fun even the star death made me laugh since I expected they do the thing with the container

KRaZyAmmo

This was a great episode. The cars were great, it's cinematography was brilliant, the script wasn't as scripty and was nowhere as bad as episode 2. I want more of this.

crazyprac

I've been mehhh for the most of the season, but this episode was amazing. The goofiness, nice cars, cinematography, cows...

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The Battleship segment was pure hilarity. I fucking LOVED IT.

And the main segment was superb, as well.

The weight station destroying itself and the Miata being damaged along with it, had my jaw on the floor.

But I sort of suspected that the Miata would get
damaged again
, because half way Hammond racing it through the makeshift course, I noticed in some of the shots the passenger side was
severely bruised and damaged
. And then came the ending of him
crashing it
. So it seems like they did that take numerous times.

Fox318

Why can't they just have a driver speak honestly?

The American clearly is a good enough driver and has a decent personality from some NASCAR stuff I've seen.

Great new episode. Best of the season for me. I just wish they'd actually done an official time test on the three cars to see where they stack in an objective measurement. Wouldn't factor on the leader board, but just between each other.

Team Mazda on this one. The only one of those I'd actually enjoy driving.

They're basically just 100% acting now while before it was more improv and them just goofing around. There's also some serious flanderization going on. It isn't just a Grand Tour thing, it was slowly happening over the last several seasons of Top Gear too. It's becoming more consistent episode to episode though as time goes on.

Earlier Top Gear was still entirely scripted in that all the scenarios that played out were scripted but the dialog seemed more natural and ended up being way more entertaining as a result. Things like Clarkson almost driving off a cliff in Bolivia or being chased out of town in the first USA special were quite obviously scripted but it wasn't as over the top like it is now.

That's precisely it. In earlier Top Gear seasons, as much scripted as it was, you always got the sense of some improvisation, their performance always felt more natural. I always felt that this script exaggeration on the latest Top Gear seasons were a sign of things getting stale. When the Amazon deal happened, I thought "ok, now they'll have more freedom and big money to put things back on track".

But now I'm getting some cringeworthy momments every week, it's like watching the Chris Evans Top Gear...

TTG

This has felt closest to vintage Top Gear. A couple of points where they can do better:

1. It needs to be a 3 segment show, excluding the studio bits. Marrakesh felt long, a nice 7 minute review of something fast at the track would have been cool.

2. They're still playing catch up with car selection. I know they've been off the air for over a year, but at some point they're going to drive cars that feel fresh... right?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Another great episode. I agree it felt the closest to Top Gear because it felt like it had the most challenges, but I still want even more of those notes from the producer with things they have to compete on.

Between Ep1 and Ep4 for my favourite episode, I think. Can't believe we're halfway through a season already.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Another great episode. I agree it felt the closest to Top Gear because it felt like it had the most challenges, but I still want even more of those notes from the producer with things they have to compete on.

Between Ep1 and Ep4 for my favourite episode, I think. Can't believe we're halfway through a season already.

Isn't it 12 episodes a season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom