• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

RSP

That additional box is going to be a god-send for a lot of VR gaming rigs out there. Especially the ports.

Last thing I want is for a port to go bad because I constantly pull on it accidentally. Or even worse send my rig flying off the desk because I was too immersed and didn't pay enough attention to chaperone...

Valid point, but in my opinion, it is very difficult to ignore (or not pay attention to) chaperone. It's like ignoring a wall when you're up against it with your face.

Yeah I like the idea of the box. I wish there was a universal one that I could use for both headsets but that segment of the market has to be miniscule. Even I will likely sell one of headsets at some point.

Bsigg12

That additional box is going to be a god-send for a lot of VR gaming rigs out there. Especially the ports.

Last thing I want is for a port to go bad because I constantly pull on it accidentally. Or even worse send my rig flying off the desk because I was too immersed and didn't pay enough attention to chaperone...

I definitely think it can go both ways. I really, really like that I only have to plug my Rift in directly to my PC and not through a box. It's less cables. For the experiences offered on the Rift currently, it works out nicely.

With the Vive offering room scale from the get go, having a box that is the connecting section for the headset makes a lot of sense because you are more likely to pull the Vive cables because of the room scale experiences than you are the Rift's standing/360° experiences. You effectively have a way to mitigate damage to the HDMI and USB ports on your PC that way.

It has been something I have though a lot about but I do wonder if Oculus will ship a box when the Touch controllers launch to make the usable cord length longer to better suit the Touch controllers.

Durante

Yeah I like the idea of the box. I wish there was a universal one that I could use for both headsets but that segment of the market has to be miniscule. Even I will likely sell one of headsets at some point.
I wonder if the box actually does anything. If it doesn't, that is if it's purely a forwarding device, then you could actually use it with the Rift! But that seems unlikely.

For my setup the box is also pretty useful, given that the PC will actually not be in the room-scale VR room.

Valid point, but in my opinion, it is very difficult to ignore (or not pay attention to) chaperone. It's like ignoring a wall when you're up against it with your face.

You can set the opacity and all kinds of stuff though to make it less intrusive which I guarantee people will do. Also, what I said about people tripping over the cord still stands and is just going to happen. Especially people with kids.

artsi

What does rely on really mean? They could support both OpenVR and the Oculus SDK on their storefront if they so desired and wouldn't be relying on anyone for support of their own hardware. All they need to do is add a disclaimer for non Rift owners if they're worried Valve would try to screw them over, but considering OpenVR supports the Oculus SDK and plans on adding support for Touch as well, this seems awfully far fetched.

If the issue is that they can't control which headsets have access to Home through openVR then I would say who cares? This idea of them being a gatekeeper to what is VR and who should have access doesn't make any sense to me and is quite off putting.

Let's say AMD rolls out this amazing 4K per eye headset that blows the Rift away in terms of quality in 1-2 years. I could be stuck with a games library that may not be accessable due to an artificial software barrier? It's something I absolutely hate about consoles and software becoming obsolete when the next generation rolls around. Sure, Valve could decide to not support it with OpenVR but this also seems far fetched considering previous actions.

We're talking about different things, I agree that Oculus Store should support OpenVR titles, and there should not be exclusives.

But some people have been talking about ditching Oculus SDK and "just use OpenVR", which makes no sense as Oculus can not develop OpenVR in any way, it's a huge risk for them.

Of course, OpenVR is a nice option for HMD manufacturers who are entering the market and don't have software expertise/resources, but Facebook didn't pay billions to just make "Steam hardware".

Azar

Setup process (and packaging) for the Consumer Vive are significantly improved from the Pre. It's still more involved because there's more to setup than the Rift, but it's a smoother process.

As for the FOV: comparing the two headsets, I find the difference noticeable but not as stark as the image posted earlier may lead you to believe. I think that's part of the reason Oculus has been more reticent to talk about specs as the years have passed. The way you use the hardware, particularly how the lenses and display work together, can't really be expressed with numbers. I'd still like to have the numbers, of course, but I understand their push for experience over specs.

Nzyme32

The way of mitigating this is to opt for some of the other chaperone styles that can be less obtrusive. There was a style I quite liked, that was a hip high line and some glowing corners. It's enough to be where I usually look, but easy to tune out rather than stuff like the fence and the squares styles

Monger

We're talking about different things, I agree that Oculus Store should support OpenVR titles, and there should not be exclusives.

But some people have been talking about ditching Oculus SDK and "just use OpenVR", which makes no sense as Oculus can not develop OpenVR in any way, it's a huge risk for them.

Of course, OpenVR is a nice option for HMD manufacturers who are entering the market and don't have software expertise/resources, but Facebook didn't pay billions to just make "Steam hardware".

I guess I didn't read the original question to say to drop the Oculus SDK, but to add support for OpenVR. If that is the context, then yes, it wouldn't make sense for Oculus to abandon their SDK.

So why are Oculus being aholes then and not supporting open vr. Every time I remember we have headset exclusive games on PC it makes me not want to pick up either headset. 1400 for the full vr experience stay super niche I guess.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The way of mitigating this is to opt for some of the other chaperone styles that can be less obtrusive. There was a style I quite liked, that was a hip high line and some glowing corners. It's enough to be where I usually look, but easy to tune out rather than stuff like the fence and the squares styles

You know how they have those spiky foam panels in audio recording rooms to absorb sound? I think you want an extreme version of that to line VR rooms. So they have foot long foam spikes which will srop you bumping into hard walls

If 50 companies create OpenVR-compatible headsets, from cheap Chinese clones to ultra-high-end equipment, they'd be ecstatic.

Regarding this I can't wait for some kind of "Vive-box" akin to steam boxes; lighthouse compatible headsets that let you choose different tech levels.

Like having two 4k screens or other enthusiast's hardware at the right price for the right audience (so we don't have to endure the stupid parade of "1000 dollars!?D.O.A!!!" and such).

artsi

I guess I didn't read the original question to say to drop the Oculus SDK, but to add support for OpenVR. If that is the context, then yes, it wouldn't make sense for Oculus to abandon their SDK.

Yeah, IMO the best solution (for consumers) would be if they formed a consortium where multiple parties (like Oculus, Valve, Razer, Starbreeze, Nvidia, AMD etc) can develop the same API, and it would end up to be the standard for VR.

Something like VESA, where the board of directors includes people from AMD, Nvidia, and other companies.

http://www.vesa.org/

Mrbob

Yeah my comment was a question of why they won't support Open VR. If I buy a Vive this year doesn't mean I'll buy a new Vive as a VR headset 3 years from now. Maybe I'll buy the new Rift model. I just want to ensure all games run on any VR headset regardless of the headset you buy. I don't think this is too much to ask.

Kevin

According to most reports, the FoV of CV1 is at least slightly larger than Gear VR.

A comparison of the FoV of CV1 and Vive looks like this:

So combining that, I think it's clear that the Vive FoV is significantly larger than the Gear VR FoV.

If this is true then it would appear that the Vive's FOV is quite a lot larger then the Rift's FOV and that's kind of disappointing for me since I've had the Rift preordered. I will admit that I am definitely having second thoughts about my Rift order (which ships in June)...

Exuro

If this is true then it would appear that the Vive's FOV is quite a lot larger then the Rift's FOV and that's kind of disappointing for me since I've had the Rift preordered. I will admit that I am definitely having second thoughts about my Rift order (which ships in June)...
Well the rift's lower FoV also lowers the perceived SDE which is nice. Honestly I doubt most people will notice a difference between the two headset's visually.

Kevin

Well the rift's lower FoV also lowers the perceived SDE which is nice. Honestly I doubt most people will notice a difference between the two headset's visually.

Yeah I think at this point I am going to wait for the Vive reviews and the hardware comparisons between the two before confirming my choice.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Basically what I think we all expected.

TLDR: The Vive is great, if you've got the space for it.

The camera is also praised for offering a more practical seating experience, with the way it lets us use the keyboard with the headset on. I'd like to hear more retex about it.

The camera is also praised for offering a more practical seating experience, with the way it lets us use the keyboard with the headset on. I'd like to hear more retex about it.

Well, they knock the nose gap, which is fair enough, but obviously that lets you see things directly underneath you with the Rift. I've had no problems finding a drink or controller on my desk, etc. My keyboard has blank key caps though, so I have to admit I do sometimes forget people can't touch type ;)

viveks86

From my time with both headsets, the Vive feels more comfortable, and is better integrated with my existing PC ecosystem.

The ability to see your keyboard and mouse via camera feed without taking my headset off, as well as the absense of Oculus weird nose gap, for me made the Vive a considerably better VR platform of choice for seated play.

Hmmmm... Wasn't expecting vive to be more comfortable or better for seated experiences.

Well, it's fair enough not to like the nose gap, but obviously that's Oculus's solution to a similar issue. That and designing everything around controller inputs. I do like having a camera on the outside of my Gear VR and I have used it from time to time.

Tain

I ordered the Vive last night without really thinking about the space needed to fully utilize it, lol. I guess that while the room-scale stuff sounds dope, standing-area motion controls sound... in the same ballpark. We'll see. If it comes down to it I can jack up my living room like the Destructoid reviewer says.

god, this is the hardest wait, between the Rift and Vive. This is unbearable.

It's interesting that she found it to be a superior seated experience, more comfortable, etc. The headphones thing seems like a big deal to me. I guess I'll have to see for myself.

Onemic

My TLDR wasn't meant to be comparative.

Your description sounds like the Vive is only great if you have the space for it, but from reading the review it's not that. It's more that room-scale pushes the Vive to another level, but even for regular seated gameplay the Vive is still the best at what it does.

Your description sounds like the Vive is only great if you have the space for it, but from reading the review it's not that. It's more that room-scale pushes the Vive to another level, but even for regular seated gameplay the Vive is still the best at what it does.

Destructoid said:
If you have the space for it, for my money, the HTC Vive blows the Oculus out the water as a long term investment.

My description was meant to be a short summary of the whole review. Nothing more, nothing less. Laura is one of my favorite video game writers and podcasters for her dedication to butts.

Seiru

Banned
Should I...should I get both the Vive and an Oculus? Is this the world I live in? Do I not have a choice here?

My bank account weeps...

pj

Banned
Should I...should I get both the Vive and an Oculus? Is this the world I live in? Do I not have a choice here?

My bank account weeps...

I would get vive now in the hopes that oculus and htc/valve work together and add vive support to the oculus store.

If that doesn't materialize and oculus' exclusives are still compelling (and still exclusive) by the time you can order a rift and get it within a few days, AND you have too much money, then buy one.

viveks86

Well, it's fair enough not to like the nose gap, but obviously that's Oculus's solution to a similar issue. That and designing everything around controller inputs. I do like having a camera on the outside of my Gear VR and I have used it from time to time.

Being able to see through a gap under your nose isn't as good a solution because it comes with it's own drawback. The perception of a sub-optimal fit and light leakage.

Secondly, my reaction isn't as much about the nose gap as it is about the Vive being called more comfortable for seated experiences. The assumption being made all this while is the Rift is simply better for seated experiences. Seems like that's not the case

they're the same product. the only difference being the head strap.
Did you not read what i wrote? Specifically this part.
if we want to be anal about it. Of course most of the conclusions will be the same on CV1 im guessing
I'm just saying if we call this the first review technically every preview with the Pre could be considered the same, so it's not the first in either regard because technically its not a review of an actual CV1 review nor is it the first review of the Pre.

viveks86

The reviewer only used the Vive Pre, so not really the first review if we want to be anal about it. Of course most of the conclusions will be the same on CV1 im guessing.

The reviewer also spent 8 hours with the consumer version, to evaluate differences. Seems like packaging (and straps?) are the only notable things.

Did you not read what i wrote? Specifically this part...

I'm just saying if we call this the first review technically every preview with the Pre could be considered the same, so it's not the first in either regard because technically its not a review of an actual CV1 review nor is it the first review of the Pre.

I did read your whole post, yes. It was only a couple of sentences after all. My point is that there's no reason to "guess" that the reviews will be similar or not; they will be. Because it's the same tech. They didn't add anything or change the lenses or housing or controllers. Or anything else. So there's no reason for the reviews to not be the same as the Pre thoughts have been.

I guess I'm just confused as to why you'd think it's an "im guessing" matter if you know that all the relevant hardware is exactly the same. but w/e. we can move along now.

Zalusithix

I did read your whole post, yes. It was only a couple of sentences after all. My point is that there's no reason to "guess" that the reviews will be similar or not; they will be. Because it's the same tech. They didn't add anything or change the lenses or housing or controllers. Or anything else. So there's no reason for the reviews to not be the same as the Pre thoughts have been.

I guess I'm just confused as to why you'd think it's an "im guessing" matter if you know that all the relevant hardware is exactly the same. but w/e. we can move along now.
Well, they did add the lighthouse auto-on/off via BT in the retail version which the Pre lacked. Granted, that feature would only make the review better, not worse.

Being able to see through a gap under your nose isn't as good a solution because it comes with it's own drawback. The perception of a sub-optimal fit and light leakage.

Secondly, my reaction isn't as much about the nose gap as it is about the Vive being called more comfortable for seated experiences. The assumption being made all this while is the Rift is simply better for seated experiences. Seems like that's not the case

One person think's that's not the case.

I only mentioned the nose gap as a solution to the same problem because the review itself didn't make it clear that the nose gap allows you to see your keyboard and mouse (or soda or whatever). As I've said I like having a camera on my Gear VR and I think not liking the nose gap is a fair criticism.

Of course someone else takes a positive quote out of the same review out of context and no one says a word to them.

I've no idea which headset is better, because I haven't used the Vive. I've heard more people saying the Rift is the more comfortable headset than I've heard saying that the Vive is more comfortable but *clearly* with something like comfort you're going to get varying opinions. Until I put a Vive CV1 on my head I'm not going to guess which I'd find more comfortable.

viveks86

My mind is still blowing that they had USB ports on the Vive. How is it that nobody was talking about it???

Well, they did add the lighthouse auto-on/off via BT in the retail version which the Pre lacked. Granted, that feature would only make the review better, not worse.

Oh yeah. That's another key difference

Top Bottom