• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

viveks86

One person think's that's not the case.

I've actually heard that 3 times now. All 3 being in previews/reviews and not hearsay. I too have heard a lot of talk about Rift being more comfortable for seated experiences. But objectively speaking, why would it be? It's not suited for glasses, it leaves people with conspicuous marks on their face and it expects you to look through a nose gap to see your controller/keyboard. None of these sound comfortable. And none of this is subjective opinion.

All of us are evaluating the two products and can and should consider every piece of info we can find. The fact that more than one person has called the Vive a more comfortable headset, even for seated experiences is still new to me (and all of us). Hence the reaction.

You make a summary for the review saying "Vive is great, if you have the room for it", but you discount things the review actually says that contradicts your own conclusion. The review actually implies the Vive is better, even if you don't have the room for it. I'm not the one making any conclusions yet. You are, based on your own summary. And an incorrect one too.

I've actually heard that 3 times now. All 3 being in previews/reviews and not hearsay. I too have heard a lot of talk about Rift being more comfortable for seated experiences. But objectively speaking, why would it be? It's not suited for glasses, it leaves people with a conspicuous marks on their face and it expects you to look through a nose gap to see your controller/keyboard. None of these sound comfortable. And none of this is subjective opinion.

All of us are evaluating the two products and can and should consider every piece of info we can find. The fact that more than one person has called the Vive a more comfortable headset, even for seated experiences is still new to me. Hence the reaction.

You make a summary for the review saying "Vive is great, if you have the room for it", but you discount things the review actually says that contradicts your own conclusion. The review actually implies the Vive is better, even if you don't have the room for it. I'm not the one making any conclusions yet. You are, based on your own summary.

"The Vive is great if you have the room for it." wasn't a conclusion. It was a summary of the review. Laura talks about the struggles she has getting enough space to play. She specifically makes the disclaimer 'If you have room for it' when first comparing it to the Rift. Anyone who thought I was saying 'The Vive is ONLY better than the Rift if you have room for it' is the one jumping to conclusions. I was really surprised when I started getting replies about specific ways she praised the Vive over the Rift.

Please enlighten me as to why *she* puts that space disclaimer into this sentence:

If you have the space for it, for my money, the HTC Vive blows the Oculus out the water as a long term investment.

Now it doesn't necessarily follow from that that if you *don't* have the space for it, that the Rift is better, but then it doesn't follow from what I said either. She talks about how great the Vive is, talks about the pain of setting up her space for room scale. Sorry that I didn't write a more in depth TLDR that highlight the specific ways it compared to the Rift.

The Rift isn't suited for *larger* glasses.
The Rift leaves *some* people with marks on their face.

don't believe me it isn't everyone? Will Smith of Foo VR has his Rift adjusted not to leave marks on his face and wears glasses with it. Not only has he tweeted about this, but he has also demonstrated this on Tested.

Now you shouldn't have to buy smaller pairs of glasses as he did, and none of that excuses the mishandling of the one time promised and included second facial interface.

But your claims of things being objective are clearly misplaced.

By claiming these things are objectively true you're discounting people who find the Rift more comfortable. Why? Clearly some people find it more comfortable. Note that I'm not discounting that others find the Vive more comfortable. Because comfort is subjective and we all have different sized heads and faces.

viveks86

"The Vive is great if you have the room for it." wasn't a conclusion. It was a summary of the review. Laura talks about the struggles she has getting enough space to play. She specifically makes the disclaimer 'If you have room for it' when first comparing it to the Rift. Anyone who thought I was saying 'The Vive is ONLY better than the Rift if you have room for it' is the one jumping to conclusions. I was really surprised when I started getting replies about specific ways she praised the Vive over the Rift.

Plagiarize, the man of many words reduces an entire review into a one line tl;dr and then expects us not to jump to any conclusions on what he is trying to sayf? Nice :p

I'll pass on all the other statements. It's too premature and pointless to have this discussion without more reviews out there. I don't have my mind made up enough to invest that much time on a lengthy response, which I most certainly will do in due course, when I get my hands on both.

Plagiarize, the man of many words reduces an entire review into a one line tl;dr and then expects us not to jump to any conclusions on what he is trying to sayf? Nice :p

I'll pass on all the other statements. It's too premature and pointless to have this discussion without more reviews out there. I don't have my mind made up enough to invest that much time on a lengthy response, which I most certainly will do in due course, when I get my hands on both.

Why would I presume that you were all going to get upset at me for not specifically highlighting the comparisons she made to the Rift? The two things she seemed to talk about most were that the Vive is great, and the space challenges that come with with room scale (and how when she isn't playing room scale she feels like she isn't using the system to it's fullest).

Again, I love how none of you have taken Thanati to task for quoting 'blows the Oculus out of the water' without the key disclaimer that Laura wrote before it. But sure, I'm the one with the misleading take on the review.

I read the whole review. I thought it was interesting... and I thought it said what we all already knew.

While I maintain that the Vive presents a huge leap forward in gaming and general PC usage, the truth remains that space is going to be a big factor at play for many gamers.

I'm glad you recognize now that it's too premature to say things like 'the Vive is more comfortable for seated experiences' and to discredit anyone else who has stated otherwise.

moniker

I don't watch horror films at the best of times, but I thought that I should summon up some courage and give it a try.

I lasted about 45 seconds. The combination of dark scenes and 3D audio meant I could barely think about anything else, petrified about what was coming from where I couldn't see. A creepy doll, random noises... it was all too much. It was the first time I'd ever had goosebumps on my arms from fear.

I yanked off the headset for the first time... and then the bad feelings came. I can't work out whether it was because I'd started the VR experience with sunshine pouring in through the windows and it was dark when I finished, or just the sheer level of immersion triggered something within me.

It left me feeling uneasy, a greasy anxiety that I couldn't shake at all. There was something about this experience that jarred me badly, leaving me struggling to shrug off the feeling of being in the VR world.

This sounds crazy. And exciting.

This sounds crazy. And exciting.

I'm not kidding when I say that if you have a heart condition that you will want to avoid horror games, nor when I say that I think VR horror is likely to kill someone when people inevitably don't take those kind of precautions.

Riptwo

I too have heard a lot of talk about Rift being more comfortable for seated experiences. But objectively speaking, why would it be? It's not suited for glasses, it leaves people with conspicuous marks on their face and it expects you to look through a nose gap to see your controller/keyboard. None of these sound comfortable. And none of this is subjective opinion.
I won't get to test the Vive for another week or so, so I can't comment on comfort between the two headsets, but I have to say that it took me some time to get the Rift seated comfortably due to their minimal communication over what a proper fit should feel like. When I first received mine, I absolutely had the conspicuous Rift marks on my face, and it felt like most of the weight was distributed across my face. After watching the Tested review, however, it became apparent that I could get the back section of the headstrap seated way, way lower than my initial attempts, and now the marks don't appear to be an issue. It feels way more comfortable, and there are no more issues with marks or pressure on my face.

That seems a bit dramatic. A good horror game is super high on my list of VR desires, though.

It's really something else. It's scarier to me than the best horror walkthroughs at Universal, and the scariest games on flat screens. It's the scariest *simulated* experience I've had. Not that I've had many real world experiences that scary (because I don't think I have) but I make that disclaimer for that exact reason. I've never really experienced something truly scary in the real world like a life threatening situation.

It's really something else. It's scarier to me than the best horror walkthroughs at Universal, and the scariest games on flat screens. It's the scariest *simulated* experience I've had. Not that I've had many real world experiences that scary (because I don't think I have) but I make that disclaimer for that exact reason. I've never really experienced something truly scary in the real world like a life threatening situation.

I'm really looking forward to trying horror games. I love the genre of film, but I never really feel "scared". What's the best horror experience to be had in VR at the moment?

Durante

I read the whole review. I thought it was interesting... and I thought it said what we all already knew.
Did it?
I was surprised that she found the Vive more comfortable even for seated experiences, I didn't expect that.
I also didn't realize before how the integrated camera would be helpful even in seated situations.

cheezcake

https://youtu.be/prcwH2A4uhE?t=934

watch the last 2 minutes from 15:30.

the fear is real.

room-scale VR is gonna turn tough guys who laugh at horror movies into grown bitches.

I love horror. I watch horror movies, play horror games, read horror novels. But fuck I would be lying if I said I wasn't apprehensive about playing horror games in VR,. This early stuff seems ok, but when we get to the point where someone creates something as scary as Amnesia or PT in VR I honestly don't think I'll be able to handle it.

Did it?
I was surprised that she found the Rift more comfortable even for seated experiences, I didn't expect that.
I also didn't realize before how the integrated camera would be helpful even in seated situations.

I've used the camera on my Gear VR for stuff like that numerous times, so it didn't jump out to me. I mean, that's a big part of why you would want a pass through camera surely?

And again, my *summary* was broadly speaking. It wasn't meant to cover every little detail. It's just what I still feel the broad strokes of the review were.

Wallach

I love horror. I watch horror movies, play horror games, read horror novels. But fuck I would be lying if I said I wasn't apprehensive about playing horror games in VR,. This early stuff seems ok, but when we get to the point where someone creates something as scary as Amnesia or PT in VR I honestly don't think I'll be able to handle it.

In my opinion it's the early stuff you should be more worried about. People are going to do shit to people in VR that is way to easy to exploit and there's going to be a lot of shitty jump scare games trying to get on YouTube.

Dreadhalls, Affected and Sisters with their relatively basic graphics *still* get me like nothing. Once developers are putting stuff out with high fidelity graphics, top tier lighting and detailed environments... man... it's going to get really brutal.

Dreadhalls, Affected and Sisters with their relatively basic graphics *still* get me like nothing. Once developers are putting stuff out with high fidelity graphics, top tier lighting and detailed environments... man... it's going to get really brutal.

Isnt Allison Road getting VR support?

cheezcake

In my opinion it's the early stuff you should be more worried about. People are going to do shit to people in VR that is way to easy to exploit and there's going to be a lot of shitty jump scare games trying to get on YouTube.

That's a pretty good point, but to be honest none of these early games have seemed that scary to me, I feel like I've built up a strong immunity to jump scares over the years but that may not be true in VR. It's that slow burn horror that gets to me the worst, atmosphere thick with dread, was that whisper part of the game or are you just hearing things? Did you imagine that thing flicker in the corner of your screen? When the game starts playing with your head is when you know it's quality horror.

PT in VR would likely have left me catatonic

Imagine PT in VR.

I wouldnt last 20 seconds.

The second Lisa closes that bathroom door is the second I have a broken $800 Vive lying on my floor.

jack....

I couldn't even handle the super primitive early version of Dreadhalls on the DK1 for more than a few minutes.

I like horror games but I have no desire to play them in VR.

Onemic

I was playing Doom 3, crawling underneath the floor in the Alpha Labs and my wife came home early and the sound of the front door slamming shut unexpectedly scared me so badly I got heart palpitations.

Speaking of Doom 3, have you tried your CV1 with the game? If so how is it or other games with Vorpx?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I tried watching a few horror things on my GearVR and couldn't last more than a minute. It's too real for me.

Dead Secret was about as scary as I could handle.

viveks86

I won't get to test the Vive for another week or so, so I can't comment on comfort between the two headsets, but I have to say that it took me some time to get the Rift seated comfortably due to their minimal communication over what a proper fit should feel like. When I first received mine, I absolutely had the conspicuous Rift marks on my face, and it felt like most of the weight was distributed across my face. After watching the Tested review, however, it became apparent that I could get the back section of the headstrap seated way, way lower than my initial attempts, and now the marks don't appear to be an issue. It feels way more comfortable, and there are no more issues with marks or pressure on my face.

That's good to know. I wonder if they'll take the feedback to improve the instructions/manuals

Speaking of Doom 3, have you tried your CV1 with the game? If so how is it or other games with Vorpx?

Doom 3 BFG edition had a mod that added support to the game since the game is open source. I don't believe it's been updated yet. There were a few issues (you couldn't read the PDA well) but I played through the whole game. This was on DK1.

Vorpx isn't updated yet either, but it's coming. I've never used it before so I won't be able to compare.

Riptwo

That's good to know. I wonder if they'll take the feedback to improve the instructions/manuals
It was partially user-error on my part, but there could definitely be some more detailed instructions. They tell you to open up the velcro straps and to adjust the headset until the image becomes clear. The problem for me is that the headset was clear and the fit seemed right, but I could have actually adjusted the top strap way further and sat the headset lower for maximum comfort. I sort of figured that the top strap needed to be tightened for a snug fit, but I actually needed to give it way more slack for the back headrest to cradle the back of my head to fix the weight distribution.

That being said, it's entirely possible that I'm just a little slow and that most people figured this out intuitively!

It was partially user-error on my part, but there could definitely be some more detailed instructions. They tell you to open up the velcro straps and to adjust the headset until the image becomes clear. The problem for me is that the headset was clear and the fit seemed right, but I could have actually adjusted the top strap way further and sat the headset lower for maximum comfort. I sort of figured that the top strap needed to be tightened for a snug fit, but I actually needed to give it way more slack for the back headrest to cradle the back of my head to fix the weight distribution.

That being said, it's entirely possible that I'm just a little slow and that most people figured this out intuitively!

I'd already seen videos of people saying you need to get that back part to sit over whatever that part of your head is called (the crown I think?) so I knew what I was doing. I can't remember exactly what the setup video said to be honest.

viveks86

Why would I presume that you were all going to get upset at me for not specifically highlighting the comparisons she made to the Rift?

Who is upset? We are just challenging you for something you said. And for the record, I wasn't even one of them until you responded to me.

Again, I love how none of you have taken Thanati to task for quoting 'blows the Oculus out of the water' without the key disclaimer that Laura wrote before it. But sure, I'm the one with the misleading take on the review.

Calling attention to another poster when you get too any responses? Classy! ;)

To be honest, I hadn't even noticed Thanati's comment. But I did notice yours. Not my fault that you are a bit of a celebrity in all VR discussions with your lengthy posts that often go against the grain in HTC vs Vive topics :p

I'm glad you recognize now that it's too premature to say things like 'the Vive is more comfortable for seated experiences' and to discredit anyone else who has stated otherwise.

That was always the case. I could have worded it better. All I did was comment on the review and think out loud on what it implies. I really shouldn't have even commented beyond "hmmm...", which is all a single review deserves anyway. As things stand, I still think Rift, in theory, could be a better seated experience, but if I read more reviews that contradict that, I'd be inclined to change that stance.

During rift setup it tells you the correct way to fit it.

And if so many people are still not getting it right, I'm sure there is room to improve instructions. This is brand new for a lot of people and the easier they make it to get it right, the better for everyone.

Riptwo

I'd already seen videos of people saying you need to get that back part to sit over whatever that part of your head is called (the crown I think?) so I knew what I was doing. I can't remember exactly what the setup video said to be honest.
It's possible that I missed out on detailed instructions due to my desire to just get the thing going, but I don't recall seeing anything about the back headrest being the primary comfort adjustment. We'll see if there are more complaints about the Oculus Ring as more people get their hands on headsets!

Edit: I wonder if this will be more of an issue for those coming from the devkits to the final build. I suppose that I was probably trying to get the thing fitting like my DK1, which really isn't the right approach!

viveks86

Did it?
I was surprised that she found the Rift more comfortable even for seated experiences, I didn't expect that.

You mean the Vive, right? And yeah that's what stood out to me as well. Anyway, we'll know tomorrow if the prevailing notion has changed.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It wouldn't the first time when early preconceptions would be turned around by actual impressions. Like with the much better optics.

Who is upset? We are just challenging you for something you said. And for the record, I wasn't even one of them until you responded to me.

Calling attention to another poster when you get too any responses? Classy! ;)

To be honest, I hadn't even noticed Thanati's comment. But I did notice yours. Not my fault that you are a bit of a celebrity in all VR discussions with your lengthy posts that often go against the grain in HTC vs Vive topics :p

That was always the case. I could have worded it better. All I did was comment on the review and think out loud on what it implies. I really shouldn't have even commented beyond "hmmm...", which is all a single review deserves anyway. As things stand, I still think Rift, in theory, could be a better seated experience, but if I read more reviews that contradict that, I'd be inclined to change that stance.

And if so many people are still not getting it right, I'm sure there is room to improve instructions. This is brand new for a lot of people and the easier they make it to get it right, the better for everyone.
I don't think I've said anything controversial or against the grain.

The two things now that I've said that were seen as controversial, was to suggest Valve weren't blameless in the fact that the Oculus store doesn't support the Vive, and now to summarize a review as saying 'The Vive is great if you have the space'.

Both of these only proved controversial because they were taken to mean things other than what I said, respectively 'Valve and Oculus are equally to blame' and 'The Vive is only better than the Rift if you have the space'.

I didn't say either of these things. It wasn't my intent to say either of these things. I don't believe either of those things. Anything seen as a slight against the Vive and I find multiple people questioning me over it. It's annoying.

Because I don't think I've said anything bad about the Vive. My posts amount to basically 'the Rift is almost as good'. Which I also don't think should be controversial. I've maintained that the Vive is the best headset to get if you want to be able to enjoy all the VR experiences. I've maintained that waiting for Touch isn't logical when we haven't got a price or a firm release date.

The Rift is a great headset. From the looks of it, so are the Vive and the PSVR.

I want VR to succeed. I don't want any of the three major platforms to stumble out of the gate here.

Edit: Look. I'm glad everyone in here is passionate about VR and buying a headset. I really don't care which headset people are buying. I just don't like seeing the Rift and PSVR bad mouthed. If there were large groups of people bad mouthing the Vive I wouldn't like that either. I make no efforts to convince anyone to buy any specific high end headset.

I'd rather be talking and reading about the games and possibilities than minor differences in tracking capabilities, or FOV, or SDE, or pixel density, or EULAs or whatever. I can't wait to hear all about the room scale games that I won't be able to play for a while. I can't wait to try them out.

viveks86

Wow. I'm imagining plagiarize in a courtroom right now, delivering a lengthy monologue...

Relax, man. I don't know if you are using my post to unburden yourself or something. All I said was that you go against the grain. That's a compliment, for crying out loud! Supporting the other headsets, while Vive is being unequivocally praised IS going against the grain. And that's a good thing, because threads like this should not turn into a circle jerk. None of these headsets are perfect, so it's important that someone attempts to ground everyone.

Just continue doing what you are doing and be honest to yourself, which I personally think you are :)

viveks86

Yeah, that's now at the top of my most anticipated roomscale title!

Some Vive touchpad criticism here:

There was also universal derision of the touchpad on the controllers, which is located where your thumb rests. This is a clickable space where you can swipe your digit left or right to make selections, and for many games it was the way to select between guns, or for something like the 3D painting app TiltVR (by Google) a chance to interact with your brushes, colors and palettes.

It just didn't work. The accuracy under the finger was terrible, and the results meant that if you were in the heat of battle and needed to switch guns quickly, or just select a new section on the palette in TiltVR, it was impossible.

Are these the same trackpads on the steam controller? And is there any confirmation on whether they are user configurable like the steam controller?

Wollan

Anyone near London this weekend?

I have a free EGX Rezzed ticket for anyone who would want it. Saturday. All three major VR platforms represented.

edit: gone.

Mrbob

You're right about the packaging. It was just something that really stood out.

Hardware setup:
- Rift does not require additional power, Vive does
- Rift plugs right into the PC, Vive has an additional box
-

When I found out about the break out box that was the final piece for me to pre order a vive. This will be great to work with my home theater system as it isn't easy to plug in devices. I can plug into the break out box once and be set. So while is annoying for some it is helpful for others.

Just came to the conclusion if a developer won't support open vr they won't get my money.

Yeah, that's now at the top of my most anticipated roomscale title!

Some Vive touchpad criticism here:

Are these the same trackpads on the steam controller? And is there any confirmation on whether they are user configurable like the steam controller?

Since the person who wrote the review is a self proclaimed non gamer I'm just going to chalk this up to not having enough time to acclimate to the controller. I recently got into PC gaming and built my first rig and it took me about a week to get used to using a mouse accurately again, let alone being comfortable with using it, coming from using game pad exclusively for many years.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
vr-fall.gif

Holy Geebus Crist man!

Since the person who wrote the review is a self proclaimed non gamer I'm just going to chalk this up to not having enough time to acclimate to the controller. I recently got into PC gaming and built my first rig and it took me about a week to get used to using a mouse accurately again, let alone being comfortable with using it, coming from using game pad exclusively for many years.

Yeah. I seriously doubt there are any issues with the track pads. They work fantastically on my Steam controller and I've heard zero other complaints.

Top Bottom