• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

UnrealEck

. Of course, Valve holds the ultimate trump card - the potential for a VR HL3.

I really doubt Valve will try to lock any of their new games to their own headsets. Reaaaaally doubt it.
SteamVR, sure, but not the hardware. It wouldn't work anyway. People would hack it.

I've no doubts that Valve are working on Portal VR right now.

Melon Husk

I want the Vive to win with its more open stance towards Vr, but I feel like Oculus has the inside track, at least for the short term. Price notwithstanding (I believe Oculus Touch will close the price gap between the two anyway), I don't see room scale as a differentiator and I am more interested in the Rifts launch lineup. Of course, Valve holds the ultimate trump card - the potential for a VR HL3.

Valve jumped in on the 3D game biz after Quake had shown the way. I would be very surprised to see a big-budget VR title from Valve before someone else gives it a good go first.

IMACOMPUTA

Got my email from htc after filling out that support form (USA).
First wave, baby.

I got my confirmation email at 9:07am after preordering, if anyone is interested.

Hey VR-GAF.

While I'm interested in gaming for VR, I'm actually way more interested in the other applications; virtual travel, education, etc. with this. Are there any consumer 3D cameras that you guys would recommend that takes full capability of VR? The google searches I've done haven't been the most helpful. Ideally, I'd love to capture VR videos of my family now that could be preserved for years down the road.

Crispy75

Hey VR-GAF.

While I'm interested in gaming for VR, I'm actually way more interested in the other applications; virtual travel, education, etc. with this. Are there any consumer 3D cameras that you guys would recommend that takes full capability of VR? The google searches I've done haven't been the most helpful. Ideally, I'd love to capture VR videos of my family now that could be preserved for years down the road.

"full capability" ?

For that you want light fields, and there's nothing outside the lab right now. Anything else you might find just takes spherical panoramas (sometimes two with stereo separation). This is nothing like "proper" VR with a sense of presence.

For true VR video, with full support for head movement, the technology is only just now good enough and will be prohibitively expensive for years to come.

https://www.lytro.com/immerge

This is actually the thing I'm looking forward to the most in VR.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so I have this low beam splitting my PC room in half:
bEUVzth.jpg

how much is that likely to screw up lighthouses for occlusion? would I be able to place lighthouses below the level of the beam so they can see the whole room, or should I place them higher? The ceiling is about 2.4m high either side, but only 2.05m under the beam.

have some follow up questions around arranging space shortly, looking for advice there too

Zalusithix

Oh cool, so a display port cable would work fine then. Thanks for the heads up mate.

Technically it's a mini Displayport connection on the box, and they don't provide a cable for it, so you'll need to pick up a DP->mDP cable (assuming your GPU has full sized DP) if you don't have one already.

Edit:
bEUVzth.jpg

how much is that likely to screw up lighthouses for occlusion? would I be able to place lighthouses below the level of the beam so they can see the whole room, or should I place them higher? The ceiling is about 2.4m high either side, but only 2.05m under the beam.

have some follow up questions around arranging space shortly, looking for advice there too
I did respond to your first diagram. =P Placement of the PC side lighthouse below the beam and the other above your door on the other side should allow LOS between the units. The PC side will cast higher than the beam on the other side of the room. Occlusion might happen from the shelf in the middle of the room.

Tadie

Did you see this laser test?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ubW6Pxlm7g

The lasers are pretty flexible.

elyetis

Seeing Keyboard & Mouse support only listed seems crazy for some games.

I can't imagine that working at all in VR.
From my experience it actually work better than a controller. I'm guessing it's the same as teleportation being easier on you than moving in VR, quick move from a mouse is easier for me than a 'slow' controller movement.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Technically it's a mini Displayport connection on the box, and they don't provide a cable for it, so you'll need to pick up a DP->mDP cable (assuming your GPU has full sized DP) if you don't have one already.

Edit:

I did respond to your first diagram. =P Placement of the PC side lighthouse below the beam and the other above your door on the other side should allow LOS between the units. The PC side will cast higher than the beam on the other side of the room. Occlusion might happen from the shelf in the middle of the room.

well the other problem is that I only have power sockets in three corners of the room. The door corner doesn't have power. Have power in the corners with red boxes in this amazing diagram:

so the easiest place to put lighthouses would be bottom-left and top-right. But then the closest lighthouse is behind me which might affect seated play. I'm toying with moving furniture around anyway so I would be open to turning the desk 90 degrees to face the left wall (which is a window)

Do you think below the beam would be ok as part of the tracked volume? Could be very easy to hit the beam with my hands. If I avoid the beam like in the image above, I have a 1.5m x 2m space. If I move furniture around like the image below, I can squeeze in a 3x2m space

"full capability" ?

For that you want light fields, and there's nothing outside the lab right now. Anything else you might find just takes spherical panoramas (sometimes two with stereo separation). This is nothing like "proper" VR with a sense of presence.

For true VR video, with full support for head movement, the technology is only just now good enough and will be prohibitively expensive for years to come.

https://www.lytro.com/immerge

This is actually the thing I'm looking forward to the most in VR.

This was helpful, thanks. I'm hoping that consumer products of this will emerge pretty quickly.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Did you see this laser test?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ubW6Pxlm7g

The lasers are pretty flexible.

thanks. I suppose they want to tilt them down at 30 degrees in order to track immediately below them. 120 degrees fov means 60 degrees from center plus 30 degrees angle down.

So if you have a desk or other item meaning you don't need to track right up to a wall, you can get away with less tilt, or mounting lower, because you have some distance to allow the fov to reach the floor/ceiling where you want to track.

The guy in the video doesn't test the failure points, and he is standing far enough away from the lighthouses to be in full view

Valve/HTC have been sending out kits to Youtubers, streamers and the press. Some devs do also work at home. There are also the people who won the IGN contest and got a Vive.

iceatcs

Valve/HTC have been sending out kits to Youtubers, streamers and the press. Some devs do also work at home.

Interesting. It felt almost like you can sign up for get one. Thanks.

Anyway wow, next month both will be out. All sorted, but my room scale will be outdoor, only way.

Crispy75

This was helpful, thanks. I'm hoping that consumer products of this will emerge pretty quickly.

Unlikely, unfortunately. The computation, storage and bandwidth requirements are mind-boggling. Like, 2 orders of magnitude more raw data than a mono spherical panorama.

There's a really good series of talks on youtube from November last year which goes into great detail about this technology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raw-VVmaXbg&index=1&list=PLkK8iVS5ZZ7TsRbdPIviKymxlGmf3t9qW

Zalusithix

well the other problem is that I only have power sockets in three corners of the room. The door corner doesn't have power. Have power in the corners with red boxes in this amazing diagram:

so the easiest place to put lighthouses would be bottom-left and top-right. But then the closest lighthouse is behind me which might affect seated play. I'm toying with moving furniture around anyway so I would be open to turning the desk 90 degrees to face the left wall (which is a window)

Do you think below the beam would be ok as part of the tracked volume? Could be very easy to hit the beam with my hands. If I avoid the beam like in the image above, I have a 1.5m x 2m space. If I move furniture around like the image below, I can squeeze in a 3x2m space
Corners were chosen to be optimal for the seated play, but they could be reversed with the higher one at the wall opposite the door and the lower one behind the desk. Higher chance of occlusion while seated while facing the computer, but just as good for seated in the other direction and standing/room scale.

Your occlusion zones are going to look somewhat like this depending on the height of the shelf. Excuse the quick and crappy Paint mock up while at work. Hashed zones are areas where you only have one lighthouse sweep available. Technically there'd be a hashed zone up high in the desk area, but you won't be doing that sort of play there, so who cares.
bCzaCcC.png

If the shelf is relatively low, the occlusion zone on the ground shrinks proportionally. It's best to not have it in the way at all, however.

Edit: Moving the desk to the opposite wall will help seated play. Given both the upper and lower left have power, reversing that should be fairly easy.

I also wouldn't recommend using the beam area as a play zone. Better used as a virtual wall that gives you a free buffer space from hitting anything on the other side of the beam.

Edit 2:
Can the exercise equipment fit between the low area on the upper right and the door?

rje

Cool! Thanks!

So I assume you have the Vive Pre? Question on the controllers. Do you configure mapping just like a regular steam controller? Or are they preconfigured/not configurable right now?

Yeah, I'm using the Pre - I haven't seen any standardized controller configuration stuff, but I also haven't looked for it so it's possible I just missed it? I don't know if it makes a ton of sense though. The controller basically has the touchpad, trigger, menu button, system button(which brings up the steam interface), and grip button. Given that, there simply aren't many sensible ways to reconfigure stuff.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Come up with a cool Room Scale idea. No way to get a Vive dev kit.

Feels bad. :(

Guess I will just prototype it using traditional means after our current project is finished.

edit:

Anyways, the wife told me I can have a game room in the house we buy. So, if we find one that allows this, I am going to go the projector route for traditional media, speakers built into the wall, and have only a couch in the room's actual floor space, which I can push up against the wall. That way I can do room scale VR without hitting anything. My consoles and PC will have to be behind the couch maybe built into the wall? Plan on getting an Omni at some point too, which will have to be in the back of the room.

Soi-Fong

Cloudlands Mini Golf is coming for the Vive (and maybe rift later, I'm not sure) and it looks absolutely amazing. Since they aren't constrained by the limits of reality, they can create unrealistically fantastical courses. And because you only need a small area to walk on, it translates to room scale fine. You just teleport to your ball when you hit it, then can walk (and observe the course) around your room.

There is also a tennis and general sports game coming, the latter I believe being the big game they're pushing for Oculus Touch.

I've played this quite a few times from the dev repository. Maybe I'm just not really into mini golf, but the game never really grabbed me at all. Maybe the physics were off as well in the game.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Has this been posted

Oculus: "We don't believe the consumer has space" for room-scale VR" - Jason Rubin

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ieve-the-consumer-has-space-for-room-scale-vr

"Some people will really want room scale," Rubin told Polygon. "It's definitely cool. We have the tech ability to provide room scale. Our tech doesn't preclude that. At some point we'll demo that."

Yeah, already posted and provoked a long discussion in the previous pages.

I am glad my house has an open floor plan. My second living room where I have my PC and gaming set up is probably about 13' x 18'. Even with the way I have the room set up right now I probably have a 13'x12' area around my computer that is just empty, without moving any furniture around. All I have is a fold up exercise bike that I can move out of the way, and my computer desk.

viveks86

What if the copy/paste job included the first wave part?

Dun dun dunnnn

Yeah, I'm using the Pre - I haven't seen any standardized controller configuration stuff, but I also haven't looked for it so it's possible I just missed it? I don't know if it makes a ton of sense though. The controller basically has the touchpad, trigger, menu button, system button(which brings up the steam interface), and grip button. Given that, there simply aren't many sensible ways to reconfigure stuff.

Well, that can translate to a ton of buttons. For instance, if I'm playing star citizen with it (in my dreams), I'd want to use all kinds of mapping and mode shifting for the dual stage triggers, grip and track pads. The trackpad alone could be configured as 5 buttons.

I really hope they are fully configurable for everything other than the 1:1 tracking itself

b0bbyJ03

Do these headsets work using Vsync? any chance they'd use a tech like Freesync in the future so that there is not choppiness if it drops a frame or two?

Do these headsets work using Vsync? any chance they'd use a tech like Freesync in the future so that there is not choppiness if it drops a frame or two?

Things like asynchronous time warp are more suited for handling frame drops, although I suppose they could be used in conjunction with a freesync-style adaptive display. Does that stuff add any latency?

Odrion

Banned
Are there any good videos of people poking and prodding the physical build of the Oculus and Vive? I want to see how the straps and rubber hold up and get an impression on the eye cushions.

Zalusithix

The trackpad alone could be configured as 5 buttons.

If you really wanted to push the theoretical limit, the pad could be 8. Ten if you want to treat the center as separate from the outer quadrants. 4 quadrants as touch buttons like a phone screen. Then 4 quadrants where you push down on the pad forcing a click. Full push vs touch as different buttons. Would need a small lag before the touch registers as "down" so as to not activate touch when push is desired.

Of course, whatever use the touch pad will have will depend on the devs. Unlike the steam controller where it has lots of user customization and emulation of other existing input methods to offset the lack of direct support, I expect devs to tap directly into the Vive's controller for input styles tailored around it.

pj

Banned

I don't think that would really work with these low persistence screens. The display is only lit up for like 1 millisecond of each 11ms frame. The rest of the time it is black. This is to enhance clarity and likely other stuff that I'm not familiar with.

If you drop much below that, people will probably start seeing the strobing effect, which is bad.

What could work is higher refresh screens that run in a 90hz-144hz freesync range. Games would still need to hit the minimum of 90 and any extra performance would be used to increase the framerate beyond that.

It would still be difficult due to the freesync being an (open) AMD deal and gsync being proprietary nvidia. It's unlikely that nvidia will support freesync so you'd end up being vendor locked to your headset, depending on its display technology. There may also be motion sickness issues with a constantly varying framerate of a screen 2" from your face.

viveks86

If you really wanted to push the theoretical limit, the pad could be 8. Ten if you want to treat the center as separate from the outer quadrants. 4 quadrants as touch buttons like a phone screen. Then 4 quadrants where you push down on the pad forcing a click. Full push vs touch as different buttons. Would need a small lag before the touch registers as "down" so as to not activate touch when push is desired.

Of course, whatever use the touch pad will have will depend on the devs. Unlike the steam controller where it has lots of user customization and emulation of other existing input methods to offset the lack of direct support, I expect devs to tap directly into the Vive's controller for input styles tailored around it.

Agreed

Bizzquik

Hi GAF,
I'm hoping for some clarification on my Vive: "Your Pre-order will start shipping May 2016"

"Start" shipping...? What does HTC mean by that?

...That my Vive will be shipped to me in May? (good!)
...Or that I'm in a large backlog of pre-orders that collectively will begin shipping then - but hey - who knows when I'll actually get my Vive? (bad!)

Zalusithix

What could work is higher refresh screens that run in a 90hz-144hz freesync range. Games would still need to hit the minimum of 90 and any extra performance would be used to increase the framerate beyond that.

I think having a set framerate target and then using additional GPU headroom to increase visual fidelity is better. Basically like the presentation from Alex Vlachos. Likewise, automatically reducing fidelity to hit the target when frame times go over. Variable framerate doesn't seem like the best idea for VR where consistency is generally king.

Hi GAF,
I'm hoping for some clarification on my Vive: "Your Pre-order will start shipping May 2016"

...Or that I'm in a large backlog of pre-orders that collectively will begin shipping then - but hey - who knows when I'll actually get my Vive? (bad!)
Should ship in May, though when in May isn't set. At least my order said May when placed, and a subsequent call to HTC verified it as shipping in May.

Bsigg12

Hi GAF,

Your Vive will ship at some point in May. Mine says the same for April and the dude I talked to refused to tell me what wave.

Bsigg12

Thanks, Zalusithix and Bsigg12. :)

No problem.

As dumb as it might be, I am so god damn excited to be buying into a Vive and getting my Rift for free in this first generation. I have had such a good time with VR and now that it rolling out officially to consumers (in 5 days!), I can't wait to see what comes from devs. I have UE4 and Unity (maybe Cryengine) installed specifically to be able to mess around with projects with the Rift and Vive.

Can't wait!

Both my Rift and Vive pre-orders are scheduled for April...but I can only keep one.

I keep flip-flopping between them but now I'm thinking I'll just keep whichever one gets posted to me first! lol

I genuinely can't see a better way to decide.

rje

Dun dun dunnnn

Well, that can translate to a ton of buttons. For instance, if I'm playing star citizen with it (in my dreams), I'd want to use all kinds of mapping and mode shifting for the dual stage triggers, grip and track pads. The trackpad alone could be configured as 5 buttons.

I really hope they are fully configurable for everything other than the 1:1 tracking itself

It'll be interesting to see how it goes - most of the demos I've played that use the motion controllers opt for physical movement and basic button inputs over complex button schemes.

I hadn't really thought about using them for a game like star citizen or any game that was originally made with mouse/keyboard/gamepad in mind. It'll be interesting to see how folks try to adapt them for that if they don't just say "use a normal controller."

I would want to sit down with my vive controllers and reach out to grab controls and pull levels and push buttons and turn knobs to pilot the ship. Then maybe rest them on my legs and tilt them like they were joysticks to control the flight.

Top Bottom