• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

pj

Banned
Did the vive demo at the microsoft store in nyc a couple hours ago.

My experience was pretty much the same as all the ones I've read. Screens are very low res when you first put the headset on, you forget about it almost instantly, you are "there", space pirate trainer is more fun than it looks, room scale is the shit, vr is the future, etc.

Looking forward to getting my vive in may

viveks86

God I am so ready for this. I spent about as much on my wheel setup as I did the Rift itself. I've dabbled a bit with pCARS on DK2 but this is what I've been waiting for. Full, proper VR support on final hardware. I need it.

Any idea if the VR version (Oculus Store?) will support the steam controller? I don't have a wheel. Want to try the gyro

Wallach

Any idea if the VR version will support the steam controller? I don't have a wheel. Want to try the gyro

I'm sure the Oculus version supports Xbox controllers so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use the Steam controller and just map the gyro to left analog or something like that.

viveks86

I'm sure the Oculus version supports Xbox controllers so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use the Steam controller and just map the gyro to left analog or something like that.

I guess I just have no idea how the Oculus store works and whether it is compatible with steam overlay.

It better be, or I'm selling the headset. Lol.

The other question I have is whether the game will support VR SLI, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up

Oh man, this combined with the oculus touch controller praise in the video above makes the Rift a bit more tempting again. It's so hard to choose headsets :|

Get both. Stick to half sandwiches for the rest of the year and you are all set. That's what I'm gonna do :p

That video from Nvidia's channel has a great sound bite about what VR is for non room scale, non first person experiences.

Headphones for your eyes.

I think that's a really great little sentence that gets across a huge chunk of the appeal to me of playing games like Herobound. I think people can hear that and get a pretty solid idea of what games like that are like.

And I broke my wife.

She's seen VR stuff before. Bits and pieces. Usually she'll start trying to move around at some point and it'll get confused and she'll start to feel a little motion sick and need to take the headset off, but she's seen Ocean Rift (DK2 and GearVR version), she's watched various 360 degree videos.

She loves Danny Trejo and has been following his taco restaurant business, and I saw that there was a 360 video of him eating tacos, so I queued it up for her to check it out.

Well the title screen felt closer to her than she was comfortable with, so she turned around to get away from it, and wasn't prepared to find herself in a grey abyss. I guess she panicked, or experienced agoraphobia or something because within a minutes she's reduced to a ball on the floor of our kitchen.

She was in the middle of baking, and I had to help finish the baking. This was over an hour ago. She just crawled upstairs and into bed.

I doubt she's going to put on a VR headset again any time soon. This is the second time I've seen extreme negative reactions to VR. One was to the original Riftcoaster. Now this one to a stationary environment.

I've never experienced anything like it myself, so I really can't wrap my head around how visual stimuli can throw someone's brain and body into such an extreme loop that it doesn't pass for over an hour.

I hope no one here experiences anything like it when they get their headsets.

Hah, I'm usually hyping everyone up too... but this just happened so I had to relay it.

TLDR: A 360 video from a stationary perspective gave my wife extreme simulator sickness even though she's previously watched other 360 videos and had a few VR experiences like Ocean Rift without any major problems.

I guess I just have no idea how the Oculus store works and whether it is compatible with steam overlay.

It better be, or I'm selling the headset. Lol.

The other question I have is whether this will support VR SLI, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up

It's up to developers to support VR SLI. I ran the demo on my DK2 and it worked great. I don't believe it used Oculus's SDK, but I could be wrong. I think it uses Nvidia's own API.

artsi

Nd1mS9R.png

Hype train is picking up speed!

viveks86

It's up to developers to support VR SLI. I ran the demo on my DK2 and it worked great. I don't believe it used Oculus's SDK, but I could be wrong. I think it uses Nvidia's own API.

Yeah I was wondering if the devs were gonna support VR SLI. I believe there was some issue with 0.7 SDK and VR SLI, but Nvidia fixed that with a driver update. Now it's just up to the devs.

I really want to max out the game in VR. Any idea what the system requirements are for that?

Yeah I was wondering if the devs were gonna support VR SLI. I believe there was some issue with 0.7 SDK and VR SLI, but Nvidia fixed that with a driver update. Now it's just up to the devs.

I really want to max out the game in VR. Any idea what the system requirements are for that?

It's hard to say. I mean, I don't hit the highest score on the Steam benchmark (though I'm in the green). I really hope people are seriously targeting 90 fps all the time on GTX 970s... but I also know that full Steam VR benchmark score only went to people with GTX 980 Tis.

I've got 3 GTX 980's so I'm *really* hoping I can leverage at least two of them. Hopefully the popular UE4 and Unity middleware will just bake in support for it and then we'll see pretty widespread implementation in games I'd expect.

Edit: I just reran the benchmark and got a higher score, plus it reported that I had two GPUs. So that's a good sign for Steam VR stuff.

steamvru6o59.png

When I ran it originally.

steamvr2bgqvt.png

When I ran it now.

Same system. Not 100% if I had SLI enabled when I first ran it or not, but that should be an interesting comparison.

viveks86

TLDR: A 360 video from a stationary perspective gave my wife extreme simulator sickness even though she's previously watched other 360 videos and had a few VR experiences like Ocean Rift without any major problems.

Yikes! Has she recovered now?

It's hard to say. I mean, I don't hit the highest score on the Steam benchmark (though I'm in the green). I really hope people are seriously targeting 90 fps all the time on GTX 970s... but I also know that full Steam VR benchmark score only went to people with GTX 980 Tis.

Yeah but I doubt pCARS would run at high settings on a 970 in VR, let alone maxed out. This game hasn't made any cutbacks to accommodate VR AFAIK, so I expect the system requirements for max settings (including MSAA) to be really high. Here's hoping it's still within reach for current hardware, at least with SLI support.

Same system. Not 100% if I had SLI enabled when I first ran it or not, but that should be an interesting comparison.

Yeah I'm quite confident about Steam VR supporting SLI. They pretty much make it the first bullet point in all their presentations. It's the rest that I'm wary about. And even with all that evangelization, devs would probably turn a deaf ear to it because the install base for SLI/crossfire is so small.

Yikes! Has she recovered now?

Yeah but I doubt pCARS would run at high settings on a 970 in VR, let alone maxed out. This game hasn't made any cutbacks to accommodate VR AFAIK, so I expect the system requirements for max settings (including MSAA) to be really high. Here's hoping it's still within reach for current hardware, at least with SLI support.

So the developers specifically talked about stuff they do in VR, like due to pixel density, they're more aggressive with their LOD since the stuff a bit further down the track is going to be a lot blurrier due to the displays anyway so they can drop detail on those objects much more before you'd notice. There was definitely specific performance tweaks they did for VR.

viveks86

So the developers specifically talked about stuff they do in VR, like due to pixel density, they're more aggressive with their LOD since the stuff a bit further down the track is going to be a lot blurrier due to the displays. There was definitely specific performance tweaks they did for VR.

Oh I see. Hmmm, I hope we see benchmarks on the 28th.

Oh I see. Hmmm, I hope we see benchmarks on the 28th.

The key thing is maintaining 90 fps. You'll make a lot of concessions to hit that as a player I think. Even dropping resolution (since you aren't dealing with one to one pixel mapping anyways). Games on GearVR that run at less than native do look lower res, but it's not that obvious scaling vs no scaling difference.

iceatcs

Hmm, I have few problems with that on DK2, I think because of 2D 360 video might have cause it. It was quite painful like after getting hit in the balls.

Compsiox

Banned
My DK2 ebay auction was going so well and then someone bid an outrageous amount so I have to wait 2 days to report unpaid.

I just made a new account and relisted. Idk if thats allowed but quite frankly I don't give a shit.

I'm very frustrated.

Wallach

The key thing is maintaining 90 fps. You'll make a lot of concessions to hit that as a player I think. Even dropping resolution (since you aren't dealing with one to one pixel mapping anyways). Games on GearVR that run at less than native do look lower res, but it's not that obvious scaling vs no scaling difference.

I'm pretty interested to see how much work the most recent implementation of ATW can help with stuff like this. I mean the FlyInside devs were talking about how even sitting at 50 FPS worked well with ATW covering the spread. That Forsyth tweet seemed to indicate similarly good results with Elite Dangerous and ATW.

viveks86

Agreed. If it comes down to dropping something for a locked 90, there simply is no other choice. But with OCed Titan X SLIs, I'm hoping to not make such decisions just yet. But looking at that pCARS teaser video and the chance that SLI may not work in many games, I think I need to start preparing myself for compromises... :'(

I'm pretty interested to see how much work the most recent implementation of ATW can help with stuff like this. I mean the FlyInside devs were talking about how even sitting at 50 FPS worked well with ATW covering the spread. That Forsyth tweet seemed to indicate similarly good results with Elite Dangerous and ATW.

It works extremely well to cover up frame rate drops on Gear VR titles, but it doesn't fully paper over them. It depends on what the camera is doing, because lateral movement is much harder to cover up with it than rotational if I remember.

I'm really looking forwards to playing some games built on the latest SDKs from Oculus and hopefully fully leveraging this PC's power for more than my development noodlings when it comes to VR.

My DK2 ebay auction was going so well and then someone bid an outrageous amount so I have to wait 2 days to report unpaid.

I just made a new account and relisted. Idk if thats allowed but quite frankly I don't give a shit.

I'm very frustrated.

So they bid a big amount that they didn't pay out? Or is there a limit on bid increase amount? Ebay noob here. I'm thinking of just relisting mine as a straight buy it now, the Chinese bidders seem to be averaging them at 650 as is end of auction and I spotted one buy it now for 650 that got snatched by one of them. A part of me wonders if their value may increase further when CV1 lands so I kinda want to hold off.

Wallach

It works extremely well to cover up frame rate drops on Gear VR titles, but it doesn't fully paper over them. It depends on what the camera is doing, because lateral movement is much harder to cover up with it than rotational if I remember.

I'm really looking forwards to playing some games built on the latest SDKs from Oculus and hopefully fully leveraging this PC's power for more than my development noodlings when it comes to VR.

Yeah, from what I understand in the latest SDK they have pretty strong ATW both positional and rotational working. I'm interested to see for myself how obvious the artifacts are with the current version.

viveks86

Yeah, from what I understand in the latest SDK they have pretty strong ATW both positional and rotational working. I'm interested to see for myself how obvious the artifacts are with the current version.

So is ATW transparent and out of the box or do devs need to make the right API calls?

Compsiox

Banned
So they bid a big amount that they didn't pay out? Or is there a limit on bid increase amount? Ebay noob here. I'm thinking of just relisting mine as a straight buy it now, the Chinese bidders seem to be averaging them at 650 as is end of auction and I spotted one buy it now for 650 that got snatched by one of them. A part of me wonders if their value may increase further when CV1 lands so I kinda want to hold off.
yup.

Zalusithix

I've got 3 GTX 980's so I'm *really* hoping I can leverage at least two of them. Hopefully the popular UE4 and Unity middleware will just bake in support for it and then we'll see pretty widespread implementation in games I'd expect.

Edit: I just reran the benchmark and got a higher score, plus it reported that I had two GPUs. So that's a good sign for Steam VR stuff.

steamvru6o59.png

When I ran it originally.

steamvr2bgqvt.png

When I ran it now.

Hmm, it's better, but only marginally so. For SLI I'd expect performance at least equal to a single 980ti going by the performance scaling slides.

For comparison a single 980ti on my aging 920.
fMFqmMe.png

Still, any performance increase is a good thing, and we're at the beginning of the road as far as optimizations go.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

I'm very frustrated.

I think you have the ability to offer to the second highest bidder when this happens. Try sending them a message. (Otherwise it's vulnerable to competitors always doing this to screw over competing sellers)

Hmm, it's better, but only marginally so. For SLI I'd expect performance at least equal to a single 980ti going by the performance scaling slides.

For comparison a single 980ti on my aging 920.
fMFqmMe.png

Still, any performance increase is a good thing, and we're at the beginning of the road as far as optimizations go.

You can't really see how much it *would* be scaling if it wasn't hitting the maximum quality for the majority of the benchmark. Obviously I went from almost never being at maximum to almost always being at maximum (and I was watching a video and browsing the web while running the benchmark, so I don't know for certain that I wouldn't have been hitting max all the way along with two cards.

My UE4 project is recompiling Shaders right now, so after I'll re run it with nothing else going on to see if I still get that single dip.

Everyone I've seen with a 980 Ti kept the thing fully maxed though.

Cartman86

Banned
I was worried it wouldn't happen, but luckily it did. You don't need any power switches for the lighthouses. It looks like they added automatic standby mode when you leave VR.

viveks86

I needed to do something about the sudden pCARS hype. So I made some GIFs :3

pc37c86b.gif

pc2d7709.gif

pc1c416b.gif

I was worried it wouldn't happen, but luckily it did. You don't need any power switches for the lighthouses. It looks like they added automatic standby mode when you leave VR.

Ohhh. Nice!

Zalusithix

You can't really see how much it *would* be scaling if it wasn't hitting the maximum quality for the majority of the benchmark. Obviously I went from almost never being at maximum to almost always being at maximum (and I was watching a video and browsing the web while running the benchmark, so I don't know for certain that I wouldn't have been hitting max all the way along with two cards.

Watching a video might have impacted it somewhat assuming GPU acceleration. That said, it's a fair point that there is a rendering quality cap and you are simultaneously getting higher quality and rendering more frames on top of that compared to your previous run. Honestly I was basing my expectations as much on non VR benchmarks as I was the slides. 980s in SLI tend to outperform a single 980ti, so I was hoping for a similar trend to show here. Oh well, as I said, still the early days.

Also, that dip you see, I also see to a lesser extent when I run the benchmark with the GPU at reference speeds.

viveks86

Watching a video might have impacted it somewhat assuming GPU acceleration. That said, it's a fair point that there is a rendering quality cap and you are simultaneously getting higher quality and rendering more frames on top of that compared to your previous run. Honestly I was basing my expectations as much on non VR benchmarks as I was the slides. 980s in SLI tend to outperform a single 980ti, so I was hoping for a similar trend to show here. Oh well, as I said, still the early days.

Didn't Valve's recent slides say they got only 35% in SLI scaling?

Also, that dip you see, I also see to a lesser extent when I run the benchmark with the GPU at reference speeds.

I reran it and didn't get a dip, although I'm still not flatlining 10.9 or seeing as many frames as you. I'm flatlining 10.3 now... which is kind of odd. FRAPS hovered around 115 to 120 for most of the test.

Zalusithix

Didn't Valve's recent slides say they got only 35% in SLI scaling?

Yes, but they're not really using that to increase rendered frames right away, and instead increase the quality. Supposedly the 2 GPU runs gives the ability to render ~2x the number of pixels compared to one GPU. Given those sort of gains and the fact that "max" should be a 1.4x scalar, I was hoping to see his result flatline at max and then get a decent frame render boost bringing it more in line with the 980ti. Turns out it did max out on his most recent run, so we're good there. The frame count boost wasn't as much as I was hoping for, but alas. I'm sure there's more optimizations to be made on both the game and driver side.

I want a solid purpose for SLI dangit! It's been lackluster for traditional gaming, so I view VR as the potential savior of multi-gpu rendering.

Top Bottom