• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Teknoman

Honestly with the PSVR, I just hope (ala PSmove) that its compatible with the PS5 or whatever. It would be nice if VR became a staple ala analog sticks and shoulder buttons and not just some sidenote.

Remember how fast 3D TV/monitors came and went.

artsi

New Oculus forum opening in around 12 hours, yay.

Exciting times. New forum is nearly here.
Planned launch for March 24th, 11AM Pacific Time.
Sorry for the down time, only a bit longer now.

cheezcake

Honestly with the PSVR, I just hope (ala PSmove) that its compatible with the PS5 or whatever. It would be nice if VR became a staple ala analog sticks and shoulder buttons and not just some sidenote.

I sincerely hope that it isn't, I don't want VR developers to be constrained by that lowest common denominator.

Sky Chief

It will be a disaster if this is the case. I have all three headsets on preorder but if they're not completely obsolete in two years then VR has no future. There's just so much that can and must be improved.

Teknoman

I sincerely hope that it isn't, I don't want VR developers to be constrained by that lowest common denominator.

It will be a disaster if this is the case. I have all three headsets on preorder but if they're not completely obsolete in two years then VR has no future. There's just so much that can and must be improved.

Well sure i'd want them to be updated eventually, but isnt two years abit too soon? And as far as the PS5 goes, I guess thats thinking abit too soon anyway with PSVR compatibility since Sony systems usually have a really long life span.

Bsigg12

Well sure i'd want them to be updated eventually, but isnt two years abit too soon? And as far as the PS5 goes, I guess thats thinking abit too soon anyway with PSVR compatibility since Sony systems usually have a really long life span.

Not at all. There is so much that can and will change that they should be iterating quickly. Gen 1 PSVR won't work on the PS5 because at that time they will hopefully launch PS5 alongside a far superior headset. Being held back by this first headset more than 3 years from now would be awful.

cheezcake

The issue is that when devices are new is when the most rapid technical progression tends to occur, look at the difference in early generations of smartphone compared to the difference between generations we get now.

I fully expect gen 2 hardware to be a big step up from gen 1, and gen 3 will just make it totally obsolete.

Not at all. There is so much that can and will change that they should be iterating quickly. Gen 1 PSVR won't work on the PS5 because at that time they will hopefully launch PS5 alongside a far superior headset. Being held back by this first headset more than 3 years from now would be awful.

The headset's a display technology, games aren't held back by people still using 720p TVs.

For the PS5, I think Sony will provide users with a way to plug in the old headset and controllers, only need a camera port. But the new headset will have improved motion tech and will use a Vive-type solution.

cheezcake

The headset's a display technology, games aren't held back by people still using 720p TVs.

For the PS5, I think Sony will provide users with a way to plug in the old headset and controllers, only need a camera port. But the new headset will have improved motion tech and will use a Vive-type solution.

VR games are affected by inferior displays, at the moment there are issues with text legibility (the ability to resolve fine details generally), aesthetics are also designed around large objects which are easy to identify. But yeh the issue is mostly the tracking, if they keep support for their current Move tech then devs will tend to design around the LCD as per usual to maximise their target audience. It holds back the technology as a whole.

The issue is that when devices are new is when the most rapid technical progression tends to occur, look at the difference in early generations of smartphone compared to the difference between generations we get now.

I fully expect gen 2 hardware to be a big step up from gen 1, and gen 3 will just make it totally obsolete.

The moSt likely reason a PS5 wouldn't support Gen 1 PSVR is Sony probably have moved on to a totally different positional tracking scheme for PSVR2.0 . Sony will probably have their own version of inside-out positional tracking by then. And Move2.0

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was worried it wouldn't happen, but luckily it did. You don't need any power switches for the lighthouses. It looks like they added automatic standby mode when you leave VR.

But how? If they're entirely passive they wouldn't be receiving anything from the host computer to know.

Fret

But how? If they're entirely passive they wouldn't be receiving anything from the host computer to know.

Bluetooth support for shutdown/standby was recently added in a SteamVR update, its only for the consumer version of the Lighthouses, the Pre ones dont have bluetooth radios

tv94lAU.png

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Bluetooth support for shutdown/standby was recently added in a SteamVR update, its only for the consumer version of the Lighthouses, the Pre ones dont have bluetooth radios

tv94lAU.png

Nice. Using Bluetooth on the headset or does your PC need to have it?

artsi

I think I'll do the same, I just can't choose between Vive and Rift without knowing how good ( or bad ) the Touch controller will be.

Well Touch has got pretty much only positive impressions and many seem to prefer it to the Vive controllers, but if you really want motion controls (and roomscale) right now then Vive is the right choice. I don't think you'll regret it either way.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think I'll do the same, I just can't choose between Vive and Rift without knowing how good ( or bad ) the Touch controller will be.

There will probably be also a Rift bundle when they launch Touch, so it might cheaper that way, if you want motion controls in your VR.

Durante

So what are we going to do about OTs for VR games?
As far as I can tell from a quick look on Steam, there are 27 scheduled for just the Vive in the April timeframe alone.

Wallach

As far as I can tell from a quick look on Steam, there are 27 scheduled for just the Vive in the April timeframe alone.

Might as well just handle them like regular OTs, no? I don't think any threads that cover more than one game are going to be that useful.

In fact I'd rather we had OTs for individual games and not ones for the individual HMDs.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I think there can be individual OTs, but I get the feel that they will be discussed more in the OT for the hardware. Which kind of make sense, given the whole new experience for everything.

Spookie

An April VR games thread and individual OTs as and when the need requires? Some of the games don't really warrant a full thread due to the length and VR is going to be small enough at launch without fragmenting the conversation between 5-10 threads.

Durante

Might as well just handle them like regular OTs, no? I don't think any threads that cover more than one game are going to be that useful.

In fact I'd rather we had OTs for individual games and not ones for the individual HMDs.
I'm all for regular OTs, but I think given the sheer volume of releases some will inevitably slip through the cracks (of getting an OT) or drop quickly. It would be useful to have some kind of community thread for VR where we can talk about those, somewhat like talking about more obscure Steam releases in the Steam thread.

wazoo

One OT for each game appears to be good at first sight, but it is not the best for an emerging system where critical mass and support has to be shown to push people to buy.

Wallach

I'm all for regular OTs, but I think given the sheer volume of releases some will inevitably slip through the cracks (of getting an OT) or drop quickly. It would be useful to have some kind of community thread for VR where we can talk about those, somewhat like talking about more obscure Steam releases in the Steam thread.

Seems like this thread should cover whatever falls through the cracks or doesn't have enough interest for an OT.

Been playing around with my Vive Pre for about a week now and I'm firmly in the camp of "this is it" now. The Vive really is a crude holodeck. Time for me to port my game over to room scale VR I guess!

Can't wait for everyone to dive into proper VR in a few weeks, it's so bloody exciting :D

Tadie

Been playing around with my Vive Pre for about a week now and I'm firmly in the camp of "this is it" now. The Vive really is a crude holodeck. Time for me to port my game over to room scale VR I guess!

Can't wait for everyone to dive into proper VR in a few weeks, it's so bloody exciting :D

That sounds great!

Im really bored of the same games again and again. I love my WiiU, PS4, PC and Xbox One....but the games didn´t evolve much.

So I ordered Vive. Hope to extend my hobby and get some fresh air.

elyetis

Well Touch has got pretty much only positive impressions and many seem to prefer it to the Vive controllers, but if you really want motion controls (and roomscale) right now then Vive is the right choice. I don't think you'll regret it either way.
I really like the Touch controller in itself from the impression I've read; it's really mostly about roomscale, at least allowing it in smaller configuration ( say for ‘Budget Cuts' which need what ? 2m x 2m I think ) that I have my doubts.
If it wasn't for that the Rift would be a no brainer for me since people report less SDE and I really really hate the SDE on my DK2, so the less the better.

If I were more confident in not getting scammed on ebay while selling I would probably buy the rift and the Vive, then Touch, and simply keep the one I prefer, even if it mean selling at a loss.

That sounds great!

Im really bored of the same games again and again. I love my WiiU, PS4, PC and Xbox One....but the games didn´t evolve much.

So I ordered Vive. Hope to extend my hobby and get some fresh air.

VR (especially room scale with tracked controllers) pretty much demands that people design things differently. There's going to be some very, very unique and interesting games in VR that simply couldn't exist on a flat screen, especially coupled with the fact that VR is something of a design frontier at the moment. There's going to be a lot of really cool experimental things that couldn't really exist in other mediums.

I could ramble for hours about how excited I am!

BrettWeir

VR (especially room scale with tracked controllers) pretty much demands that people design things differently. There's going to be some very, very unique and interesting games in VR that simply couldn't exist on a flat screen, especially coupled with the fact that VR is something of a design frontier at the moment. There's going to be a lot of really cool experimental things that couldn't really exist in other mediums.

Not only in gaming, but education and entertainment (outside of games) possibilities are crazy. I'd be all over buying FlickSync's (RPO).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

This is what excites me the most about VR. So many possible new experiments. Gaming and beyond gaming.

Tadie

I was always a graphics whore, because I wanted to be so far immersed as it gets.

Now Im so hyped for VR! I think and hope Vive will give me this kind of immersion I always wanted.

UnrealEck

Games like PCars, Valkyrie and Elite are kind of making me think I'll still really like a Rift, especially if the optics are superior to Vive. Plus the Touch controller looks superior.

I'm still on the fence really. Rift order is April, Vive is May. I have this feeling Rift might turn out better overall when Touch is out. I also think the larger tracking range of Vive won't matter much due to a lack of games requiring larger room space.

I wonder how much either would sell for second hand around October. I'm guessing maybe about the same as it is now brand new, if there's no price drop by then.

I am really curious about why those 'almost shipping' notifications from a couple of days ago just sort of stopped without even being sent to all of the Kickstarter people who requested a CV1.

Foggy

Top Bottom