• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
So from what I gather, the Star Trek Into Darkness preview will only be at IMAX cinemas that project celluloid 70mm film.....digital IMAX will get nothing even if they have the giant screen with the proper aspect ratio, and LIEMAX will get nothing.

So that means if you want to see Star Trek there will probably no 3D, and definitely no 48 FPS. Is this correct? Seems like a pretty nasty tradeoff. Not sure what I'd do -- fortunately I don't live anywhere near an IMAX still using analog projection.

You're worrying about which theater to go to based off of a preview for an upcoming movie? Really? I don't know. It seems bizarre to worry about a 2-3 minute preview in contrast to the picture quality of the 3 hour film you're about to watch. Are you trying to avoid it or?

Cheebo

Banned
Damnit, don't ruin my suspension of disbelief! Don't ruin these movies for me!

It's pretty obvious if you go back and watch them. A lot of the CGI stands out, especially gollum in TTT. The wargs in TTT look really bad now too. CGI has improved a lot over the past 10 years.

You're worrying about which theater to go to based off of a preview for an upcoming movie? Really? I don't know. It seems bizarre to worry about a 2-3 minute preview in contrast to the picture quality of the 3 hour film you're about to watch. Are you trying to avoid it or?

It's not a preview. It's the first 10 minutes of Star Trek. It's a big deal. Like when TDKR's first 10 minutes were attached to MI4 and the first 10 minutes of TDK were attached to I Am Legend.

It's pretty obvious if you go back and watch them. A lot of the CGI stands out, especially gollum in TTT. The wargs in TTT look really bad now too. CGI has improved a lot over the past 10 years.

Nope nope nope. I'm not listening.... okay ya, I rewatched it recently and the wargs were probably the worst.

Cheebo

Banned
Whenever one of the characters were on top of the cave troll in FOTR, Legolas in particular, it looks pretty awful now.

They are calling it "HFR" - look for that next the name. Fandango doesn't tell you, but MovieTickets does. Best is to just buy the tickets from your theater direct.
Actually, I'm on Fandango right now, looking at one of the theaters that will be showing it at 48FPS. "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey HFR IMAX 3D".

the only time I really was taken out of the movie due to cgi was the legolas troll battle. reminded me of early harry potter effects

-Says Tolkien's story is part of the problem, as the story isn't believable.

This is probably the most valid critique of The Hobbit. It's been quite a while since I've read it, but I do remember it being a bit too outlandish at times. It seemed like the heroes were always saved at the last second from their peril, which is something you definitely didn't feel in LOTR, at least not always.

Cheebo

Banned
the only time I really was taken out of the movie due to cgi was the legolas troll battle. reminded me of early harry potter effects

10559283_gal.jpg

A more negative review. 2.5 stars out of 5.

http://letterboxd.com/adamwaldowski/film/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey/

Key points:

-'I wouldn't see another film projected at 48 fps if I were held at gunpoint'
-Story felt too episodic
-Uses too much LOTR nostalgia
-LOTR felt more cohesive
-Says Tolkien's story is part of the problem, as the story isn't believable
-High points were Gollum and Bilbo's one-liners

The same site has a review from someone else that gives it 4.5 out of 5.

http://letterboxd.com/kenru/film/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey/

It seems to be a user review site. There are 577 reviews of Argo.

Cheebo

Banned
Do you guys remember back in 2001 there was actually a fiercely held argument online about which film would be better Harry Potter 1 or Fellowship of the Ring? lol

Cheebo

Banned
are you implying the cave troll cg is on the same level as that?

because, hyperbole

No replying to the person who was reminded of that scene, not I! The cave troll bit in FOTR has aged not so well but it is nowhere near as bad as the troll in the first Harry Potter movie.

Also anyone else remember the dobby vs. gollum debates? lol It's crazy to think now there were people, a ton of people at that, who thought Harry Potter vs. LOTR as films were a actual debatable subject. The Potter movies faded so fast.

Cheebo

Banned
Edmond Dantès;45021422 said:
10 years lest WB want their licensing agreement to be nulled.

Hobbit enters public domain in 2032, LOTR 2050.

New extended clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAZNlPGbD54#t=2m38s

Talk about butchering the timeline.

We're being hunted!

Richarad Armitage and Peter Jackson have commented on the fact they highly doubt there will be any remakes of LOTR or The Hobbit in their lifetime. There is no reason to remake LOTR in 10 years, it just is too definitive as it is.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Richarad Armitage and Peter Jackson have commented on the fact they highly doubt there will be any remakes of LOTR or The Hobbit in their lifetime. There is no reason to remake LOTR in 10 years, it just is too definitive as it is.
That's not their decision. WB will milk the I.P's for all their worth before the public domain issue. If not Middle-earth enterprises will move on to another studio. It's their property, this has nothing do with a cast member or a director who will have nothing to do with Middle-earth after the trilogy finishes.

Out of interest, we play games at higher framerates than traditional 24fps film.

Why are people objecting to 48fps film? We are exposed to framerates higher than that almost all the time.

Cheebo

Banned
Edmond Dantès;45021709 said:
That's not their decision. WB will milk the I.P's for all their worth before the public domain issue. If not Middle-earth enterprises will move on to another studio. It's their property, this has nothing do with a cast member or a director.
I just don't think WB can remake the franchise in 10 years time even if they desired to do so. LOTR as it is is far too definitive. I can't see anyone on the creative side wanting to remake it, PJ's trilogy was just too critically successful to attempt to redo and it is such a massive under-taking. I don't think there is a single person who wants it remade.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I just don't think WB can remake the franchise in 10 years time even if they desired to do so. LOTR as it is is far too definitive. I can't see anyone on the creative side wanting to remake it, PJ's trilogy was just too critically successful to attempt to redo and it is such a massive under-taking. I don't think there is a single person who wants it remade.
No one with a love for PJ's trilogy will want a remake, but the executives at Middle-earth enterprises... that's a different story unfortunately. The purists as well, but I don't think any director's vision of Middle-earth would ever satisfy them.

ascii42

Edmond Dantès;45021937 said:
No one with a love for PJ's trilogy will want a remake, but the executives at Middle-earth enterprises... that's a different story unfortunately. The purists as well, but I don't think any director's vision of Middle-earth would ever satisfy them.

It would have to be done some different way to generate interest. Possibly a mini-series, or something like Game of Thrones. Even then, I don't know.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
It would have to be done some different way to generate interest. Possibly a mini-series, or something like Game of Thrones. Even then, I don't know.

That would be ideal. But a bit too small fry for WB/Middle-earth enterprises.

I'd rather see The Silmarillion in that style though.

Ixion

The only thing I can see making sense is something that Dantes brought up before, which is to make an animated LOTR trilogy. It will bring in shit loads of money and it wouldn't compete with PJ's trilogy.

But we also shouldn't underestimate video games, especially since the upcoming consoles will produce extremely cinematic visuals. As many filmmakers are predicting, film and games will begin to blur soon.

Snaku

Banned
The only thing I can see making sense is something that Dantes brought up before, which is to make an animated LOTR trilogy. It will bring in shit loads of money and it wouldn't compete with PJ's trilogy.

If it was done in the Rankin/Bass art style I'd be all over that shit.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

But we also shouldn't underestimate video games, especially since the upcoming consoles will produce extremely cinematic visuals. Call of Duty is usually the biggest entertainment launch of the year, so there's definitely money to be made from a great next-gen LOTR video game.
Kind of surprised that there isn't a Hobbit tie-in game yet. Although, I can see the reasoning behind that. All the LOTR films were self contained stories part of one grand overarching narrative. The same can't be said of The Hobbit.

ascii42

Edmond Dantès;45023055 said:
Kind of surprised that there isn't a Hobbit tie-in game yet. Although, I can see the reasoning behind that. All the LOTR films were self contained stories part of one grand overarching narrative. The same can't be said of The Hobbit.

Well, they've managed before:
49ad8b5b8abdb_74726n.jpg

Loxley

I demand a film version of Fellowship of the Ring where Aragorn says my favorite line from the book about how Gollum bit him and won't ever love him.

I don't really know why, but that line always makes me laugh even though I'm pretty sure it's not meant to be funny.

Snaku

Banned
Edmond Dantès;45023055 said:

Lego Hobbit will probably be out in time for There And Back Again.

Ugh, the Hobbit game was horrible. Especially the GBA version. You should see the beginning dinner scene being dealt with in five dialogue boxes or the dwarves being captured by trolls one by one like a machine picking stuff off a conveyor belt. Or the random mix of crudely drawn art and rendered pieces.

Ixion

GCX

Edmond Dantès;45023671 said:
I can see Ann and Richard Taylor getting Oscar nominations, but winning seems beyond them with the likes of Paco Delgado (Les Miserables) and Jacqueline Durran (Anna Karenina) to contend with.
Good thing they have 3 changes to win.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Edmond Dantès;45023944 said:
Those do look like good fun, but I was thinking of something more like this:

bigcover.jpg

I had a lot of fun with these (I don't think there was one for the FotR). Much better than your typical movie tie-in game.

Jacob

Edmond Dantès;45023944 said:
Those do look like good fun, but I was thinking of something more like this:

bigcover.jpg

I fucking loved this game. Kept going back to it (and The Two Towers) for years.

EDIT: The TTT came covered the events of both the first two movies.

Ainaurdur

I had a lot of fun with these (I don't think there was one for the FotR). Much better than your typical movie tie-in game.

Correct, they just did TTT and RotK.

They were both amazing games. I would love to see them do the same for one or more of the Hobbit films, with further refinements to the combat from RotK? Augh, so good. Of course I have no idea if the team that worked on these games even exists anymore.

Ixion

Yeah, the EA studio that made the Return of the King game were the ones making LOTR: The White Council for PS3 & 360 back in 2007, an open-world RPG where you help the White Council with their Necromancer business.

I was so hyped, but alas, it was canned and the team was disbanded.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Vue confirms HFR 3D locations.

Acton
Bolton
Bristol Cribbs Causeway
Bury
Camberley
Dublin
Edinburgh Omni
Exeter
Finchley North
Finchley Road
Fulham
Halifax
Harrow
Hull
Islington
Leeds Kirkstall
Livingston
Newcastle-under-Lyme
Norwich
Oxford
Plymouth
Portsmouth
Reading
Staines
Swansea
Watford
Westfield London
Westfield Stratford
York

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Well, they've managed before:
49ad8b5b8abdb_74726n.jpg

I played the PC version of that. It.. wasn't too bad, actually. Like something inbetween a platformer and a simplified Zelda.

Anyway, I managed to scrounge together some cashmonies for the EE BD set, so I'm just waiting for it to arrive so I can gear up for An Unexpected Journey. My hröa is ready.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I wonder if the Children of Morgoth will be treated more sympathetically this time. They were pretty much canon fodder in the LOTR trilogy, with a few exceptions; Lurtz and Gothmog (Not to be confused with Gothmog Lord of the Balrogs).

shas'la

Edmond Dantès;45025168 said:
Vue confirms HFR 3D locations.

Acton
Bolton
Bristol Cribbs Causeway
Bury
Camberley
Dublin
Edinburgh Omni
Exeter
Finchley North