• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altazor

He still looks pretty good except for where he touches the environment. When he grabs the hobbit's clothes and things like that it looks pretty bad.

the way he (and other cg animals/creatues) are placd in the environment looks very bad. in most scenes, they look like they just dont belong there. two towers has a lot of bad cg, compared to fellowship and rotk. watching rotk now, and the cg stuff is improved so much (gollum, compositing) compared to tt.

I remember Gollum writhing in pain due to the elvish rope looking quite fake. The ground (which is mostly pebbles and dirt) doesn't react to Gollum's presence at all - it's like a flat and neat surface.

A couple of people have now said there is one very obvious
del Toro scene that survived from the old script
. No idea what though.

Question... How do I know if I'm reserving tickets for a 48 FPS 3D showing? All the online ticket venders only state if the movie is in 3D or IMAX. I'm in Los Angeles so there are a bunch of theaters locally featuring the 48fps goodness. But none of are stating if specific showtimes are 48fps.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
A couple of people have now said there is one very obvious
del Toro scene that survived from the old script
. No idea what though.
He's known for horror, I'd imagine something spooky in Dol Guldur. Maybe something like the Pale Man and Ofelia from Pan's Labyrinth.

Edmond Dantès;44995227 said:
He's known for horror, I'd imagine something spooky in Dol Guldur. Maybe something like the Pale Man and Ofelia from Pan's Labyrinth.

Yes, I'm guessing it will be a creature resembling something from Pan's Labyrinth. No idea what exactly though. Should be interesting, and a glimpse into what might have been.

Question... How do I know if I'm reserving tickets for a 48 FPS 3D showing? All the online ticket venders only state if the movie is in 3D or IMAX. I'm in Los Angeles so there are a bunch of theaters locally featuring the 48fps goodness. But none of are stating if specific showtimes are 48fps.

They are calling it "HFR" - look for that next the name. Fandango doesn't tell you, but MovieTickets does. Best is to just buy the tickets from your theater direct.

t-ramp

Got my LotR trilogy yesterday. Saved my $5 coupon for the Hobbit and am ready for the 14th. Getting a bit more excited. Might try to read through the book quick if I feel like it and have time.

Lots of great reactions today.

Jade Moser ‏@jademoser

'The Hobbit' was amazing! Visually stunning, mesmerizing, superb acting.. If you're in the guild circuit, rsvp for the next screening asap!

VeronicaCorningstone ‏@corganight

The Hobbit was AWESOME! !!

0429_5xpej.gif

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Third film oscar round up? Or would the academy dare give it to either of the next two?

Cheebo

Banned
Hobbit has no chance this year, it has 2 films to go still and Lincoln, Les Miserables, & Argo are just too dominate of forces this year.

Loxley

Bare in mind that Fellowship won four Oscars (cinematography, score, make-up, and visual effects), so - if the film ends up being deserving - they won't completely shaft it simply because it's the first in the trilogy.

Yeah, it'll have a tougher time when it comes to the big categories like Best Picture and Best Director, I can certainly see the academy holding off on those until film 3, but some of the other categories it certainly has a chance of winning. At this point I don't see how they could possibly lose the VFX race at any rate.

ascii42

Bare in mind that Fellowship won four Oscars (cinematography, score, make-up, and visual effects), so - if the film ends up being deserving - they won't completely shaft it simply because it's the first in the trilogy.

Yeah, it'll have a tougher time when it comes to the big categories like Best Picture and Best Director, I can certainly see the academy holding off on those until film 3, but some of the other categories it certainly has a chance of winning. At this point I don't see how they could possibly lose the VFX race at any rate.

Oh definitely. I would be surprised if it didn't win a couple of those types of Oscars.

Kud Dukan

Yeah, particularly this year, getting into BP or BD is going to be very difficult. It's been a fantastic year for films, so there are a lot of films trying to get into those slots.

It'll definitely be up for most of the technical Oscars for sure.

border

So from what I gather, the Star Trek Into Darkness preview will only be at IMAX cinemas that project celluloid 70mm film.....digital IMAX will get nothing even if they have the giant screen with the proper aspect ratio, and LIEMAX will get nothing.

So that means if you want to see Star Trek there will probably no 3D, and definitely no 48 FPS. Is this correct? Seems like a pretty nasty tradeoff. Not sure what I'd do -- fortunately I don't live anywhere near an IMAX still using analog projection.

-griffy-

Banned
So from what I gather, the Star Trek Into Darkness preview will only be at IMAX cinemas that project celluloid 70mm film.....digital IMAX will get nothing even if they have the giant screen with the proper aspect ratio, and LIEMAX will get nothing.

So that means if you want to see Star Trek there will probably no 3D, and definitely no 48 FPS. Is this correct? Seems like a pretty nasty tradeoff. Not sure what I'd do -- fortunately I don't live anywhere near an IMAX still using analog projection.

Real IMAX theaters are perfectly capable of doing 3D movies. In fact they have been projecting large format 3D documentaries for many years now, long before the recent trend of 3D narrative films came back.

I'm very happy about this fact, because I hate that they are doing it. I don't want to ruin Star Trek by seeing a substantial part of it - trailers are bad enough these days, yet I do want to see The Hobbit in faux IMAX HFR 3D.

But yeah, as has been said, they can still do 3D with the projectors at normal IMAX screens.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Heh, my friend saw it today. He said my suspicions were correct. So... it's super bloated and unfocused.

border

Real IMAX theaters are perfectly capable of doing 3D movies. In fact they have been projecting large format 3D documentaries for many years now, long before the recent trend of 3D narrative films came back.

But yeah, as has been said, they can still do 3D with the
projectors at normal IMAX screens.

Places with real IMAX screens may still be running digital projectors. And apparently these Star Trek preview clips go out only to real IMAX theatres that also have celluloid/analog projectors. I'm not really sure why though. The IMAX near me has a proper screen that is 52 feet high, but supposedly won't be able to show Star Trek because they are using a digital projector (the didn't have the Dark Knight preview either). I'm not sure why this is, because with a screen that big I'd think that they can digitally show it in whatever aspect ratio 70mm film supports.

Whether or not celluloid/analog projectors support 3D is something I'm not sure of, but obviously they won't support 48FPS. So there's no way to get Star Trek + 3D + 48FPS.

I love the LOTR films and many considered those to be bloated and unfocused. If it's anything like that and less like King Kong then I have no doubts I will enjoy this immensely.

border

Right, not exactly a shocker at this point, just immensely disappointing given the source material was fairly tight and kept to Bilbo's POV.

Yeah, I can't imagine that splitting a book that's only a few hundred pages into three films has really resulted in a better product. I mean, at this point every single page of the book has to somehow comprise several minutes of screen time and most books don't really work like that. Actions and dialogues that take up a page might not translate into more than 30 seconds of screentime. Pages and sections that focus on a character's thoughts or internal struggles might not even translate into any screentime.

I'm not sure how they are going to pad this project out -- I guess with stuff from Tolkein's other Middle Earth history? It's pretty rare when a film adapted from a novel actually has to add content to its source material......usually they struggle with what content has to be cut. I am curious to see how this will pan out - it's a unique dilemma to say the least.

Loxley

Haven't we sort of known from the get go that the films would be extremely padded? Even back when it was just two movies we knew they'd be cramming a lot of stuff into the story that wasn't in the The Hobbit itself and was pulled from the appendices.

At this point it's just a matter of whether or not you end up liking the padding or if it works.

Zebra

I love the LOTR films and many considered those to be bloated and unfocused. If it's anything like that and less like King Kong then I have no doubts I will enjoy this immensely.

Agreed.

I'm guessing these Hobbit films will feel a lot like watching the extended cuts of LOTR. Which is okay in my book.

border

Haven't we sort of known from the get go that the films would be extremely padded? Even back when it was just two movies we knew they'd be cramming a lot of stuff into the story that wasn't in the The Hobbit itself and was pulled from the appendices.

Having never read any of the books, I didn't really consider padding until they announced the third movie. Each LOTR book was around 140,000-170,000 words put into a 3 hour movie with a lot of content, characters, and events completely removed or otherwise condensed. The average is something like 40,000 words per hour of film (but probably much lower, considering how much was removed)

The Hobbit is 95,000 words. Considering that The Hobbit could have been two 110 minute movies with no events removed, I thought that seemed pretty reasonable. If you removed nothing, that would be 25,000 words per hour of film. With An Unexpected Journey running 160 minutes, if you assume that the sequels will be equally as long then we are looking at 11,875 words per hour of film.....which is pretty damned slim. I imagine that it's been pointed out a hundred times before, but you could probably listen to an audiobook of The Hobbit in less time than it will take to watch the movies.

despire

What would you predict of the chances of seeing the HFR version on bluray without the 3D? So just a plain old 2D bluray but with 48FPS.

What would you predict of the chances of seeing the HFR version on bluray without the 3D? So just a plain old 2D bluray but with 48FPS.

With one of these, for sure, assuming they release it in that format.

I dunno if existing blu ray players would just need a firmware update or what though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom