• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

TDKR trailer: dope
The Hobbit trailer: doper
Prometheus trailer: dopest

All of these movies releasing within 6 months of eachother: I need new pants

Zeliard

Every video and trailer I see related to this movie makes me feel good. The cast's enthusiasm is infectious and Peter Jackson is a lovely man. Gonna be so great visiting the Shire again. :p

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Great trailer.

The Dark Knight Rises, Prometheus, The Hobbit and Skyfall. HOW DO YOU TOP 2012?!
Django Unchained, The Master, Gravity, Cloud Atlas, Cogan's Trade, Only God Forgives, Stoker, Looper, New Malick, The Grandmaster, Lincoln...
Should be a goddamn spectacular year.

Zeliard

Django Unchained, The Master, Gravity, Cloud Atlas, Cogan's Trade, Only God Forgives, Stoker, Looper, New Malick, The Grandmaster, Lincoln...
Should be a goddamn spectacular year.

Isn't it actually two new Malick films next year, magically? Or maybe just two under development. Either way, it's great to see him so active (provided no unfortunate personal reasons prompted it).

Unless the Riddles in the dark scenes in the trailer are trailer exclusive, the clothes that bilbo wears and how the ring is placed doesn't match up with FOTR prologue.

Interesting..

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't it actually two new Malick films next year, magically? Or maybe just two under development. Either way, it's great to see him so active (provided no unfortunate personal reasons prompted it).
There's his sixth feature , which he should be done with soon, and he said back in August that he wants to finish the IMAX short The Voyage of Time after it's finished. Then starting in June he's shooting two new films back to back.

It's pretty crazy. He was long the legendary disappeared filmmaker of the 70s, but it looks like he might end up being remembered as a prolific filmmaker of the 10s.

thefro

Unless the Riddles in the dark scenes in the trailer are trailer exclusive, the clothes that bilbo wears and how the ring is placed doesn't match up with FOTR prologue.

Interesting..

If they're doing what I think they're doing, it's really quite clever.

Remember, Tolkien wrote two different versions of that chapter (he changed it after LOTR came out).

Trailer was gud. Better than that boring nonsense they released for TDKR. (Nolan is apparently not in any way interested in continuing the story after the third film :/ )

I liked the slightly sillier, lighter tone in the trailer. Though honestly I haven't doubted Jackson's ability to deliver since he knocked it out of the park with the LotR trilogy.

Remember, Tolkien wrote two different versions of that chapter (he changed it after LOTR came out).

Yep, I was about to say.

I didn't like that trailer at all, the entire first part of it came dangerously close to self-parody and I was half-expecting a record scratch sound effect to stop the music and one of the dwarves to say a "Funny" line or fart.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

But the portrayal of Gollum in the original chapter is very different, he's far more passive and less attached to his 'present' and that is in conflict with his character portrayal in the trilogy. I don't know how they could reconcile the differences effectively (Bilbo's perspective of the event versus what actually occurred).

iddqd

I didn't like that trailer at all, the entire first part of it came dangerously close to self-parody and I was half-expecting a record scratch sound effect to stop the music and one of the dwarves to say a "Funny" line or fart.

hehe,
I actually thought that too.
Not sure why.. too familiar?

Timbuktu

I think it would have worked my sense of nostalgia better if i hadn't just rewatched Lotr on blu ray. More than the characters, would have loved to be teased more about new locations.

thefro

Edmond Dantès;33642296 said:
But the portrayal of Gollum in the original chapter is very different, he's far more passive and less attached to his 'present' and that is in conflict with his character portrayal in the trilogy. I don't know how they could reconcile the differences effectively (Bilbo's perspective of the event versus what actually occurred).

They don't have to use that exactly as originally written, but the reason Tolkien gave for the retcon of that scene is the setup they're using for old Bilbo and Frodo being in the movie.

Blader

He's shooting two films next year, but only releasing one (The Burial, or whatever it's called).

There's also Voyage of Time, but that's not really the same thing and who knows what's going on with that anyway.

JB1981

Haha holy shit pretty much what went thru my head first time I saw it

Prometheus > Hobbit >>>>>>>> something really bad > The Dark Knight Rises

Hobbit > TDKR > Prometheus.

Yeah, I said it.

I'm really excited. I mean, I've gotten a bit burnt out on the LotR-films after so many years (I only watch 'em once a year now, in a marathon session with some friends), but dammit, that trailer made me excited for more.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
the trailer did feel kind of off pace for the first half but once the dwarfs started singing it really picked up, really happy :D

pringles

Just remember Ridley Scott has made pretty much all shit for the last 11 years. The movie still looks cool and I'm REALLY hoping it'll be incredible but yeah...
Ridley Scott is inconsistant but it's an inconsistancy that ranges from 'good' to 'mind-blowingly amazing'.

As far as the trailers go, The Hobbit and Prometheus were both great to me in different ways.

Ogni-XR21

Man I've rewatched the trailer probably 10 times now... haven't been this excited since I saw the first LOTR trailer. I love the song, it also seems to be the theme for AUJ and it's already my favorite of "all" LOTR movies!

Prometheus > Hobbit >>>>>>>> something really bad > The Dark Knight Rises

1169362982545.jpg

Peru

Love the fact that they've built Hobbiton permanently now! I'm so childish when it comes to this stuff, I love that the set is actually alive in real life, that the actors are inhabiting a real world.

Love the fact that they've built Hobbiton permanently now! I'm so childish when it comes to this stuff, I love that the set is actually alive in real life, that the actors are inhabiting a real world.

I genuinely will want to choose to get married in Hobbiton. It's the only place I would be sure about. If I can find a girl who feels the same now..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom