• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://collider.com/elijah-wood-the-hobbit-interview/139603/
Question: What’s it like to go from a TV show, where you shoot an episode in four days, to The Hobbit, where you’re working with 3D cameras that shoot 48 frames a second?

ELIJAH WOOD: Oh, you know what you’re talking about. It’s all filmmaking, whether it’s on a small scale or it’s on a large scale. The thing that’s great about The Hobbit is that, returning to that space, it’s largely the same group of people who had made The Lord of the Rings – a lot of the same crew members and creative heads of departments, and stuff. I was definitely aware of the fact that there were more trucks now and more trailers, and the production feels larger in scale. On a technological level, obviously that’s a huge part of it, as well. But, at the end of the day, it’s still the same group of people, making it very much in the same spirit as The Lord of the Rings, so that intimacy and that family aspect on set is still the same.

That’s a long way to explain that I think the differences aren’t really that different. It’s still filmmaking. It’s still approaching it from the same perspective. One just happens to be on a much larger scale. But, it’s pretty cool. The technology is amazing. It’s funny, you suddenly just except things. I suppose I’ve been working for a long time, so I’ve seen all kinds of filmmaking. I can fit into anything, and it doesn’t feel that weird or that fascinating. For instance, I was on set for The Hobbit, in Peter’s little tent where he has the monitor that he watches, you’re watching it in 3D. That is amazing, but at the same time, you’re like, “Oh, okay, that’s what we’re doing here.”

It’s an odd sense of just tuning into it and accepting it, but it’s totally amazing. And, it’s really cool to see the 3D on set, and to know what the images ultimately look like. The technology is so good now. I remember, years and years and years ago, video assist was really rudimentary and watching playback was so rudimentary. It only gave you a sense of what the image was really going to look like, especially when you were shooting on film and getting a video feed. Until you actually see dailies, you can’t see what the image looks like. Now, because The Hobbit is being shot digitally, we’re seeing a full HD image, in 3D, pretty much exactly as it’s going to look when it’s thrown up onto a big screen. That’s amazing! And, it takes a lot of the guesswork out of it. They can do a lot of the tweaking on the day, which is really cool.

A lot more at the link.

nomis

It only gave you a sense of what the image was really going to look like, especially when you were shooting on film and getting a video feed. Until you actually see dailies, you can’t see what the image looks like. Now, because The Hobbit is being shot digitally, we’re seeing a full HD image, in 3D, pretty much exactly as it’s going to look when it’s thrown up onto a big screen. That’s amazing! And, it takes a lot of the guesswork out of it. They can do a lot of the tweaking on the day, which is really cool.

I imagine he and Peter are pretty happy that with 3D digital cameras, they'll never get a repeat of the debacle when they filmed goodbyes at the grey havens in RotK, and the dailies came back out of focus or some shit. I can't imagine being an actor that has to try and put 100% back into recreating the same emotions twice.

I imagine he and Peter are pretty happy that with 3D digital cameras, they'll never get a repeat of the debacle when they filmed goodbyes at the grey havens in RotK, and the dailies came back out of focus or some shit. I can't imagine being an actor that has to try and put 100% back into recreating the same emotions twice.

Three times. First time it was out of focus. The second time Sean Astin forgot to put his vest back on after lunch. They had to do that scene three different times.

Dmax3901

I think it's unlikely that will happen.

Aragorn's fight with the troll at the Black Gates in ROTK was originally fought against Sauron. They changed it so late in development that the fight is exactly the same, they just digitally pasted a troll over (the similarly bulky) Sauron.

nomis

Three times. First time it was out of focus. The second time Sean Astin forgot to put his vest back on after lunch. They had to do that scene three different times.

I can't believe I forgot... an important detail. In fairness, though I've seen the appendices three times or so, it hasn't been in at least 4 years. I now have the picture seared in my brain of Astin standing there like a dumbass with his white undershirt beneath his cape.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Behind the scenes with The Hobbit

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/b...obbit-an-unexpected-journey/introducing-bilbo

Evangeline Lilly on her role as Tauriel
Speaking of small and little, I’d be remiss not to bring up The Hobbit. You’re playing a new character named Tauriel, who’s a Mirkwood elf, and that would lead me to believe that she is a warrior of some kind. Did you have to learn archery and swordplay?

Yes, she is a warrior. She’s actually the head of the Elven guard. She’s the big shot in the army. So she knows how to wield any weapon, but the primary weapons that she uses are a bow and arrow and two daggers. And she’s lethal and deadly. You definitely wouldn’t want to be caught in a dark alley next to Tauriel.

So then Tauriel must be involved with the dwarves being captured…

I think basically what you’re asking is if she’s in the film very much. She’s not in the first film very much. She comes into the first film near the end, and has a very small part to play. Her role in the second film is much more involved. Although, I have to say, when I first read the scripts and took the job, she had a lot less going on in the second film. I think the role is becoming a bit more demanding than I had expected it to be. There’s a lot more for me to do now, which is a lot of fun, but it’s a little more pressure.

Does she play a large part in the Battle of Five Armies?

Oh, I don’t know. We haven’t shot that yet. I still have to go back for five more months of filming.
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/01/25/evangeline-lilly-real-steel-hobbit/

Barrel ride filming

http://www.rotoruadailypost.co.nz/news/taupos-rapid-allure-to-hobbit/1249290/

fv4NJ.jpg

Curufinwe

Aragorn's fight with the troll at the Black Gates in ROTK was originally fought against Sauron. They changed it so late in development that the fight is exactly the same, they just digitally pasted a troll over (the similarly bulky) Sauron.

I know, and they realized it looked silly.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;34573101 said:

If she says she's going back for five more months of shooting (which, based on what Jackson has said, is practically the entire final block of filming) then I think it's pretty safe to say she'll take part in the Battle of the Five Armies.

I actually almost completely forgot she was even in The Hobbit. I'm hopefully optimistic about her character, because The Hobbit is a complete sausage-fest all around, and I feel an interesting female character is needed for the film's sake. And hey, I'm never opposed to more hot Elves, Cate Blanchett coming back already guarantees my ass will be in a seat on day one :)

I remember seeing brief glimpses of this scene being filmed at the beginning of the last video blog, looks like they picked the perfect location. I'd say all of the fan theorizing that this is where they'll end An Unexpected Journey is making more and more sense. They start the next block of shooting in February and finish in June, which makes me think that they're probably close to done filming the entire first movie...which is a pretty cool thought.

mrkgoo

Went to visit the Hobbiton set (they run tours).

Too bad we can't post pics (they make you sign kind of NDAs), as it's the real deal! Pretty amazing what they did there.

Can't wait for the films.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
More from Evangeline
Evangeline Lilly spent six seasons stranded on an island evading smoke monsters, polar bears, and other dangers on the show "Lost." But those threats pale in comparison to the orcs, trolls, and dragons of Middle Earth.

Lilly is currently in the midst of shooting "The Hobbit," director Peter Jackson's return to the world from the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. She'll be playing an elf named Tauriel, a character not found in J.R.R. Tolkien's original book.

I was able to speak to Ms. Lilly on the phone from her home in Hawaii about her last film, "Real Steel," which is now available on DVD and Blu-ray. But I did get the chance to ask her about her work on "The Hobbit," and she said that preparing for the role has been different than anything else she's ever done before.

"I'm a fairly spontaneous actor," Lilly said. "I like to keep things fresh and real and alive. And therefore, I don't do a lot of prepping." She told me it was J.J. Abrams -- the co-creator of "Lost" and director of its first episode -- who taught her "the art of letting go." She said, "I think I was over-studying like an eager student when I first started on 'Lost.'"

Working on "The Hobbit," though, has radically changed how she readies herself for a role. "I can't just be spontaneous, because there is nothing natural about being an elf," Lilly said. "It's not human, so I have to study to learn what it means to be this other creature."

This means Lilly has had to train to walk, talk, and, of course, fight like an elf. She said, "So, on top of my stunt training -- which I need to learn how to be proficient with the bow and arrow, and with daggers, and in fighting orcs that are, you know, ten feet tall -- I also have to learn the language of Elvish, and I have to learn an RP [Received Pronunciation] neutral English accent for when I speak English." When you add in learning to move and gesture like an elf, Lilly figures she has spent "four times as much time preparing as I do actually shooting."

"The Hobbit" will be released as two films, one in December of 2012 and the other a year later. Lilly told Entertainment Weekly that she'll only appear briefly in the first film, and will have a greater part to play in the second. She said her role has been expanded from the original script she read: "There's a lot more for me to do now, which is a lot of fun, but it's a little more pressure."
Source

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Andy Serkis on The Hobbit.
With The Hobbit now only ten months away (not that we’re counting the days or anything), cast and crew interviews are beginning to find their way back from Middle-earth.

Andy Serkis has been the latest to give an update on proceedings, and says the new technology on offer to Peter Jackson has made the set a joy to work on.

“It’s fantastic,” says Serkis of his return to New Zealand. “What’s great is that, with the technology, we can shoot on a live-action set. I don’t have to go back and repeat the process. There’s no disconnect anymore."

“When I’m acting with my fellow actor on a live-action set, it’s all for real and whatever happens between those two actors is what’s recorded,” he explains. “The live-action actor is recorded with film cameras while my performance as Gollum is recorded with performance capture cameras.”

What’s also different this time around, is that Serkis has been involved behind the camera as well. “Because I’m directing the Second Unit on The Hobbit, I feel very at home with Middle-earth,” continues the star.

“I feel equipped to be Peter’s eyes and ears on the Second Unit, which is a big operation. We’re covering a lot of stuff. We shoot everything from drama to aerial shots to battle sequences. I’m very pleased to be at this point."

And as for Gollum? Well, seeing as this film is a prequel to The Lord Of The Rings, he’s a little different to how we remember. “All I can say is that he’s 60 years younger,” says Serkis, “and a lot more handsome.”

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey opens in the UK on 14 December 2012.
Source

Went to visit the Hobbiton set (they run tours).

Too bad we can't post pics (they make you sign kind of NDAs), as it's the real deal! Pretty amazing what they did there.

Can't wait for the films.

My nephew just got back from three weeks in NZ on a university trip, and he showed the family photos of his trip including his visit to Hobbiton. I don't know how it was arranged, but he said that someone who worked on the set showed him and his friends around unofficially, and he got a wide shot of the new area built for The Hobbit. He didn't sign an NDA, but he's really not a LOTR fan (he didn't remember seeing the movies, but I reminded him I took him to see Fellowship when he was 12) so I don't think he cares that he's got an illicit "top secret" pic.

BTW, I finally got around to buying the extended editions blu-ray set of LOTR, and I love watching all of the documentaries and supplements. I've always been interested in the behind-the-scenes of movie making, and I don't think I've ever seen another project where literally everyone was so passionate and so dedicated to the story they were telling.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't Evangeline say she was going to retire after LOST? She was in Real Steel too.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Connolly cast as Dáin II Ironfoot
Scottish comedian Billy Connolly is joining the cast of Sir Peter Jackson's The Hobbit.

Connolly will play Dain Ironfoot, a great dwarf warrior and cousin of Thorin Oakenshield.

"We could not think of a more fitting actor to play Dain Ironfoot, the staunchest and toughest of dwarves, than Billy Connolly, the Big Yin himself," said Sir Peter.

"With Billy stepping into this role, the cast of The Hobbit is now complete. We can't wait to see him on the battlefield."

Connolly, 69, starred in The Last Samurai with Tom Cruise and spent several weeks filming the movie in Taranaki in 2003.

He has performed his standup comedy shows in New Zealand several times over the years and is married to New Zealander Pamela Stephenson.
Source

Also,

That rounds out the casting for The Hobbit, I do wonder if the likes of Tom, Bert, and William and Roäc will be voiced by actors already cast or whether Peter will omit the talking aspect of the animals and trolls.

K444WSR

Every bit of news that comes out about this just makes me more and more hyped for it. This, dark knight rises and Prometheus all in the space of 6 months of one and another. Gaf, tell me I'm not dreaming..

SUPREME1

Banned
Edmond Dantès;34966194 said:
Connolly cast as Dáin II Ironfoot

Source

Also,

0KnxI.jpg

That rounds out the casting for The Hobbit, I do wonder if the likes of Tom, Bert, and William and Roäc will be voiced by actors already cast or whether Peter will omit the talking aspect of the animals and trolls.

I didn't know details about Bilbo's adventure. I look forward to even more now.

Thx.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I didn't know details about Bilbo's adventure. I look forward to even more now.

Thx.
Yeah, although it is a bit spoilerific, so I've hidden the link behind a spoiler just in case. I know there are quite a few people who haven't read The Hobbit and want delve into the film and experience the narrative for the first time.

mrkgoo

My nephew just got back from three weeks in NZ on a university trip, and he showed the family photos of his trip including his visit to Hobbiton. I don't know how it was arranged, but he said that someone who worked on the set showed him and his friends around unofficially, and he got a wide shot of the new area built for The Hobbit. He didn't sign an NDA, but he's really not a LOTR fan (he didn't remember seeing the movies, but I reminded him I took him to see Fellowship when he was 12) so I don't think he cares that he's got an illicit "top secret" pic.

BTW, I finally got around to buying the extended editions blu-ray set of LOTR, and I love watching all of the documentaries and supplements. I've always been interested in the behind-the-scenes of movie making, and I don't think I've ever seen another project where literally everyone was so passionate and so dedicated to the story they were telling.

Awesome!

Yeah, I'm guessing that if they are showing around the public (for a price), it's not super top secret, though they do reserve the right to sue anyone who breaks NDA.

Seriously, Hobbiton is pretty amazing. I figured it was going to be a series of hobbit holes-as-sets type deal, but it's like a little town laid out. Signs point down to the Inn on the otherside of the lake and Hobbiton, paths lead up to Bag-end. It's amazing what they've done there, and form what I understand, it's now a permanent fixture.

I recently rewatched LotR myself, but not on B-ray. Are the extra stuff the same that came with the boxed extended editions on DVD?

Edmond Dantès;35123593 said:
50 Greatest Lord Of The Rings Moments

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/50-greatest-lord-of-the-rings-moments/the-story-continues

I'd have "Rallying the troops", "My captain, my king", "Pelennor Fields" and "You shall not pass" all above "Look to the East", as well as having "Lean on me" in the top five.

"Pelennor Fields" would normally be my #1 (such an amazing charge into the enemy flank), but Sam's "Lean on Me" has to take the top spot. It's such an emotional, gut-wrenching climactic statement.

"You Shall Not Pass" and "Come and Claim Him" are both worthy given their one-liners and solid bad-assery as well.

Haha yeah, I've seen those scenes plenty of times though. Now I just prefer this ending for some reason. I just think it works really well after the zoomout of Minas Tirith.

wtf they left out the scene when Aragorn is given the Anduril sword. The soundtrack cue when Elrond is giving it to him is so fucking epic man.....too many good moments in this trilogy. I pray Hobbit gives us many more.

Wow, I had no idea a trailer had been out for this. Shame on me! I just watched it and I love what I see. There's that same atmosphere that was in LOTR, that feeling. I can't wait for it!

bengraven

47. Saruman's speech

The Moment: Saruman amasses his forces and sends them to Helm’s deep with the following words: “A new power is rising… its victory is at hand. This night, the land will be stained with the blood of Rohan. March to Helm’s Deep… leave none alive.”

The Awesome: The solitary tear that rolls down Wormtongue’s cheek is a nice touch, as he realises the full extent of Saruman’s evil.

I loved this part.

Such a small little touch, but it really helped push the emotion each character was going through.

32. The journey

The Moment: Gandalf reassures Pippin that death is not something to be feared: “The journey doesn’t end here,” he begins. “Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass... And then you see it… White shores... and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.”

The Awesome: Billy Boyd and Ian McKellen share a number of moving scenes in Return Of The King, and this is the pick of the bunch. McKellen really knows how to make Tolkien’s words sing.
This speech gets me every time. *sniff*

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;35387588 said:

So I guess we can add Rothfuss to the group that have been needlessly freaking out over that two second shot of Galadriel moving Gandalf's hair.

Meh, his thoughts don't surprise me at all. If you're a die-hard fantasy fan like he is on top of being an author, of course you're going to hate any changes they made from the source material. For a guy who seems really open to the idea of In the Name of the Wind being adapted in various other kinds of media, he seems somewhat surprised that Hollywood would have the nerve to make any changes from the books. With The Hobbit I think some changes are more necessary than they were for LotR, in the name of cohesiveness and continuity.

I love Rothfuss and his stuff, he's a very talented writer and seems like a pretty cool guy...but I get the impression that he doesn't quite understand that there are things you can get away with in a book that you can't in a movie, especially with regards to pacing. I don't know, maybe it's because I just recently went back and watch the short doc about how Jackson & Co. went about deciding what to change from the books for the film trilogy that I don't really hold anything against them for it.

mrkgoo

So I guess we can add Rothfuss to the group that have been needlessly freaking out over that two second shot of Galadriel moving Gandalf's hair.

Meh, his thoughts don't surprise me at all. If you're a die-hard fantasy fan like he is on top of being an author, of course you're going to hate any changes they made from the source material. For a guy who seems really open to the idea of In the Name of the Wind being adapted in various other kinds of media, he seems somewhat surprised that Hollywood would have the nerve to make any changes from the books. With The Hobbit I think some changes are more necessary than they were for LotR, in the name of cohesiveness and continuity.

I love Rothfuss and his stuff, he's a very talented writer and seems like a pretty cool guy...but I get the impression that he doesn't quite understand that there are things you can get away with in a book that you can't in a movie, especially with regards to pacing. I don't know, maybe it's because I just recently went back and watch the short doc about how Jackson & Co. went about deciding what to change from the books for the film trilogy that I don't really hold anything against them for it.

LotR were great movies. But Moderately okay adaptations of the books.

Know what? I appreciate that. If I wanted great adaptation, I'd probably just go read the books. A lot of true adaptions from books to movies don't probably wouldn't turn out all that well.

The only thing i hold against them is the way they used the dead army in the battle for pelennor fields. Unnecessary and took away from the whole thing (it's my only really big complaint about the trilogy).

I don't expect the movies to be exact adaptions because that wouldn't make for good movies. The LOTR movies are incredible and i hope they take the same approach to the hobbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom