• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
402901_10151080858971558_989719470_n.jpg

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Edmond Dantès;39865578 said:
I‘d love to see a sneak peek of Smaug.

from what i hear its focused around giving each of the dwarves some screentime, some personality

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Edmond Dantès;39866136 said:
Makes sense. One of Peter‘s biggest challenges is making people actually care about the dwarves and not forgetting them once they leave the theatre.

From the vlogs he himself struggles with their names D:

Must admit im intrigued

Loxley

Maybe post in the other thread for the panel and then re-convene here for immense nerding out and discussion of the more major points. Because either way, we're obviously going to talk about it here :)

Loxley

TheOneRing.net has posted a *very* brief synopsis of the footage, with a more in-depth description/analysis on the way.

A duo of screens sprang to life with a succession of images from the film, taking us rapidly through the storyline: The front door of Bag End, the dwarves gathered around Bilbo’s table, the barrels out of bond and much more.

A production diary chock full of heart-felt messages from the cast, the crew and scenes from throughout the shoot. Dwarf after dwarf, Martin, Andy, Orlando, and more in quick succession.

When Peter stepped on stage, the house leapt to its feet with enough energy to propel themselves into the air.

And then, without much preface, the Film clips roared onto the screen. Thorin addresses the dwarves, “Rumors have begun to spread… the dragon Smaug has not been seen in years, perhaps the vast wealth of our people lie unprotected… Perhaps we take this chance to take back Erebor!”

And on from there.

We can tell you that what we saw was breathtaking in scope and how it brought the story to life.

Back soon with more!

According to twitter, there were also some excellent shots featuring Radagast.

bengraven

i09's story on the Hobbit footage: http://io9.com/5926047/martin-freeman-owns-the-role-of-bilbo-in-first-hobbit-footage

Gotta say I'm actually loving the little changes. The little bit about Bilbo accidently suggesting himself as a burglar instead of Gandalf originally hiring him as one is pretty funny.

"The task I have in mind will require a great deal of stealth, and no small amount of courage," says Gandalf. "But if you're careful and clever, I believe it can be done."

Everyone agrees they need a burglar — and Bilbo says it needs to be an expert. Suddenly, the dwarves all think Bilbo said that he's an expert — but he protests that he's never stolen anything in his life. The dwarves all agree with him that he's not really burglar material — the wild is no place for gentle folk who can't fight or fend for themselves.

Then Gandalf does the Thunder Voice and turns incredibly dark: "If I say Bilbo Baggins is a burglar, then a burglar he is." Everybody is startled and looks as though they've just been mind-controlled. Gandalf continues in a normal voice, saying that Hobbits are light on their feet, and the dragon Smaug is familiar with the scent of dwarves, but not so much the scent of Hobbits. "There is a lot more to him than appearances suggest," says Gandalf — and Bilbo has a lot more in him than anybody realizes, including Bilbo himself. "You must trust me on this."

Can't wait for more Thunder Gandalf!

Man I thought TDKR would be trailer crazy with Man of Steel, Hobbit and Pacific Rim.

Now we pretty much only have Man of Steel. And that leaked teaser didn't seem too special aside from the music. But then again I couldn't see shit.

Blader

Man I thought TDKR would be trailer crazy with Man of Steel, Hobbit and Pacific Rim.

Now we pretty much only have Man of Steel. And that leaked teaser didn't seem too special aside from the music. But then again I couldn't see shit.

And you won't even get that teaser with TDKR :lol

Draconian

lol yeah. It's probably just gonna be a logo :/ WB and these directors are fucking with me by not posting trailers in front of what is possibly the biggest film of the summer and certainly theirs.

This should be expected after the TDKR prologue was shown before Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol instead of WB's Sherlock Holmes this past winter. A bunch of baffling decisions for sure.

i09's story on the Hobbit footage: http://io9.com/5926047/martin-freeman-owns-the-role-of-bilbo-in-first-hobbit-footage

Gotta say I'm actually loving the little changes. The little bit about Bilbo accidently suggesting himself as a burglar instead of Gandalf originally hiring him as one is pretty funny.

Can't wait for more Thunder Gandalf!

God I can't wait!

I agree with you about the changes. The movie sounds like it'll have plenty of funny moments, along with plenty of badass ones (
fighting giants!
)

December is so far away. :(

Cheebo

Banned
God I can't wait!

I agree with you about the changes. The movie sounds like it'll have plenty of funny moments, along with plenty of badass ones (
fighting giants!
)

If you know The Hobbit then you know the troll fight is a comedy moment not a badass one. ;) the trolls are comic relief sort of characters.

Jacob

I did not expect the biggest Hobbit news from Comic-Con to be the renewed possibility of a third film. They have to stretch the material and invent stuff enough as it is to get it into a pair of three-hour films. I can do without more filler to make it a second trilogy, thanks.

WB shot down the third movie rumors before the presentation, and it was reported that PJ mentioned Extended Editions during the panel. I don't know if that's true since I wasn't there but he also mentioned EEs in the press line when he talked about the potential third film so I suspect he's just teasing the fans and trying to drum up more press in the absence of 48fps. And it seems to have worked for him, so kudos, I guess.

If you know The Hobbit then you know the troll fight is a comedy moment not a badass one. ;) the trolls are comic relief sort of characters.

They've talked in the production videos about how they're making the troll scene into a battle. If you've followed the film project you know that Jackson doesn't put a lot of stock in sticking to the book when he has a different personal preference, and making another set of epic films takes evidently takes precedence over preserving the whimsy and nature of the book. Not that this should be a surprise to anyone ... and I'm not saying it'll necessarily make for bad films either ... but Jackson can't have his cake book and eat it too.

Kud Dukan

So TheOneRing.net posted a camera video of the Q&A section, and Philippa Boyens was talking about how amazing Cate Blanchett is in the films as Galadriel, and she mentioned The Battle of Dol Guldur...is that the first confirmation that we are going to see that battle actually take place in the films? I knew we are getting a bunch of the White Council stuff, but I never heard that battle specifically mentioned.

kharma45

God I can't wait!

fighting giants!
)

Stuck my post in email tags as I'd rather it wasn't visible to anyone outside of GAF, so quote to reveal. It's nothing massively major.

Jacob

So TheOneRing.net posted a camera video of the Q&A section, and Philippa Boyens was talking about how amazing Cate Blanchett is in the films as Galadriel, and she mentioned The Battle of Dol Guldur...is that the first confirmation that we are going to see that battle actually take place in the films? I knew we are getting a bunch of the White Council stuff, but I never heard that battle specifically mentioned.

I've always assumed that there would be battle scenes surrounding Dol Guldur since the White Council met to discuss how they would expel Sauron/The Necromancer from his stronghold. We know he flees before they get there but the book doesn't specify if he left behind a rearguard (it would make sense to me that he would) and that would seem to be plenty of justification for the film-makers to add a battle given their track record. It'll probably be well-done, since Jackson does large battle scenes well, though I question its necessity.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
They've talked in the production videos about how they're making the troll scene into a battle. If you've followed the film project you know that Jackson doesn't put a lot of stock in sticking to the book when he has a different personal preference

Yay. Pass.

Morn

Banned

Philippa is a stupid Elf Fetishist who lets her lust of the Elves cloud her writing and Tolkien knowledge. Peter said she was a Tolkien expert, and then she went on to call Galadriel the most powerful being in Middle-Earth. Galadriel is no where near being more powerful that the Maiar. Gandalf could toast her with a snap of his fingers.

Cheebo

Banned
Philippa is a stupid Elf Fetishist who lets her lust of the Elves cloud her writing and Tolkien knowledge. Peter said she was a Tolkien expert, and then she went on to call Galadriel the most powerful being in Middle-Earth. Galadriel is no where near being more powerful that the Maiar. Gandalf could toast her with a snap of his fingers.
She isn't in the top 5 even. Tom Bombadil would even run circles around her. Boyens is pretty below average for LOTR fans when it comes to Tolkien/Middle Earth from everything I have seen her talk about. It is a bit scary when Jackson calls her that.

Middle-Earth =/= Valinor, so there's that. She is most certainly the oldest and most powerful of the elves.

I don't think you can bring Bombadil into this because Tolkien was never even sure himself about who or what he was.

Jacob

To be fair to Ms. Boyens, I think I can understand the textual basis of her claim. Galadriel was the founder of the White Council and one of the few of the Noldor who had ever seen Valinor to still live in Middle-earth. Furthermore, the Istari were restricted in their powers whilst incarnate in Middle-earth. I think one could make a fairly strong case for Galadriel being one of the strongest people in Middle-earth at the end of the Third Age, though I wouldn't call her stronger than Sauron. That doesn't necessarily equate to kicking ass in the midst of battle, of course.

That said, I definitely question Boyens' "Tolkien geek" credentials, especially when she tries to argue that adding "a very powerful female energy" to The Hobbit is "completely in the spirit of Tolkien". Whether or not one welcomes the addition of female characters (I personally wouldn't mind it so long as they left the story itself mostly intact; there are after all a grand total of zero named female characters with speaking parts in The Hobbit), it's not in the "spirit" of the book by any reasonable definition.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
To give her the benefit of the doubt, she was probably referring to her as a leader and those who she controlled. She was the Ingwë of Middle-earth. The high elf who could bring together and amass an elven army who even in the Third Age would be very potent. More powerful than an army of dwarves, men or those Children of Morgoth that Sauron was leading... well it's debatable. Rather than her own personal inherent might.

That's why I said
fighting giants. ;) Sounds like they are going to fight the giants in the mountains instead of just seeing them chucking rocks.

Edit: or did I read that wrong? Are they talking about the
troll fight?
If so, then I take it back. You're right that that scene should be largely comedic.

Jacob

Edmond Dantès;39901015 said:
To give her the benefit of the doubt, she was probably referring to her as a leader and those who she controlled. She was the Ingwë of Middle-earth. The high elf who could bring together and amass an elven army who even in the Third Age would be very potent. More powerful than an army of dwarves, men or those Children of Morgoth that Sauron was leading... well it's debatable. Rather than her own personal inherent might.

If we're talking about Tolkien, then I'm pretty sure the only Elven army of the late Third Age that ever fights beyond its borders prior to the Fall of Sauron is that of Thranduil. The Galadhrim fight to defend their borders and I don't think that we never see anything but archers and possibly light infantry in Lorien. Obviously Galadriel's role and Lorien's military power is quite different in the films but that doesn't really have anything to do with Boyens' supposed status as a Tolkien expert.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
That's why I said
fighting giants. ;) Sounds like they are going to fight the giants in the mountains instead of just seeing them chucking rocks.
Interesting though, to have them fight the giants who have no allegiances to anyone but themselves. I wonder how they're going to deal with that issue. Maybe a quick bit of dialogue from Gandalf explaining so, which would add another layer to an already expansive Middle-earth. It would make Middle-earth seem ever bigger and more mysterious to the general cinema goers. For them to realise that not everything in Middle-earth is influenced by the likes of Sauron or the Elves/Istari/Kings.

Jacob

Do you know how much they've supposedly added?

I don't know anyone who is involved with the production but
the entire White Council/Dol Guldur subplot, including the character of Galadriel, is absent from the book The Hobbit and was cribbed from the LOTR Appendices by the screenwriters
. They've also added the character of
Tauriel, the female elf warrior of Mirkwood
but IIRC that's supposed to be a fairly minor role.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
If we're talking about Tolkien, then I'm pretty sure the only Elven army of the late Third Age that ever fights beyond its borders prior to the Fall of Sauron is that of Thranduil. The Galadhrim fight to defend their borders and I don't think that we never see anything but archers and possibly light infantry in Lorien. Obviously Galadriel's role and Lorien's military power is quite different in the films but that doesn't really have anything to do with Boyens' supposed status as a Tolkien expert.
Like I said; benefit of the doubt. She's interpreting how she sees it (wrongly in this case).

Edmond Dantès;39901470 said:
Interesting though, to have them fight the giants who have no allegiances to anyone but themselves. I wonder how they're going to deal with that issue. Maybe a quick bit of dialogue from Gandalf explaining so, which would add another layer to an already expansive Middle-earth. It would make Middle-earth seem ever bigger and more mysterious to the general cinema goers. For them to realise that not everything in Middle-earth is influenced by the likes of Sauron or the Elves/Istari/Kings.

Yes!

And I have to say I'm excited to see what the giants look like.

the entire White Council/Dol Guldur subplot, including the character of Galadriel, is absent from the book The Hobbit and was cribbed from the LOTR Appendices by the screenwriters

The
White Council/Dol Guldur
stuff I am really looking forward to. One of those (many) parts of the book that I would wonder about and wish that more info had been given.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
They've probably expanded Gollum's role somewhat. Knowing Peter, he's going to milk the character a bit more considering his almost iconic status amongst LOTR film fans.

bengraven

Edmond Dantès;39901470 said:

I think it would fit with the scene if we see the
giants fighting each other. In the book they mention the giants just throwing rocks around light-heartedly, fairy-tale like. I could see them actually battling each other. I don't see the dwarf party fighting with the giants, but maybe running away from the remnants of the battle (falling rocks, giants, etc).

One of the scenes that stuck with me reading The Hobbit and one I am looking forward to greatly is when
Bilbo and the dwarves are welcomed and feast in Beorns home
. I had a very specific look in mind for his house, and I wanna see how close they get to what I imagined in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom