• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkgoo

Will Peter Jackson do a George Lucas and go back and 'fix' the Fellowship of the Ring by changing young bilbo to be consistent with the new? And same with Gollum?

Incidentally, I was just in Matamata two days ago. Have they returned to the same locations and discovering new ones for the Hobbit?

mrkgoo said:
Will Peter Jackson do a George Lucas and go back and 'fix' the Fellowship of the Ring by changing young bilbo to be consistent with the new? And same with Gollum?
I'm sure we'll see a LOTR special edition redux with all the natural vistas replaced with far more advanced, pure CGI at a later date. And of course all the little fixes of mistakes like Pippin still having his hands bound after he was cut free.

*vomits a little*

Although, to be perfectly honest I did think PJ missed an opportunity to put more impactful imagery from the later movies into Galadriel's mirror.

teiresias

Amir0x said:
fuck me. this really is how people think isn't it

this world is so fucked
You do realize I was being facetious, right? Still, I do think many people equate higher framerate with the motion interpolation "look" even though that's not what it results in obviously. That's just what springs to mind when they hear the terms.

I still think traditional 24fps has its place and uses for certain looks, so I hope choosing a framerate becomes an artistic decision rather than 48 or higher simply becoming default.

Morn

Banned
mrkgoo said:

Incidentally, I was just in Matamata two days ago. Have they returned to the same locations and discovering new ones for the Hobbit?
The only thing he's said that he'd like to do is replace the FOTR Gollum with the TTT/ROTK one. When they did FOTR the Gollum design wasn't finished.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Morn said:
The only thing he's said that he'd like to do is replace the FOTR Gollum with the TTT/ROTK one. When they did FOTR the Gollum design wasn't finished.

LOTR is one case where I'd like to see a Lucas-style "final edit." Mainly because I trust Jackson to not be an asshole, and to actually do it right.

There are a handful of small things about the trilogy that bug me. They're all small, trifling things, but they bug me nonetheless.

There's a TERRIBLE shot on FotR. It is when the fellowship is climbing through the snowy mountain, just before Moria. Frodo falls, and Boromir picks up the ring. There is a reaction shot of Gandalf that just looks awful. It's plain as day that McKellin wasn't actually there. The background and McKellin's face are lit totally differently...

Each of the three movies probably has 10-12 moments like that. Of course, there's the bigger problems like the awful undead CG in RotK...

Amir0x

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
absolutely, you should probably end it all right now to save yourself the pains.

why would I kill myself over other people's borderline retardation? Their lack of education serves as a constant source of amusement. It enriches my life.

teiresias said:
You do realize I was being facetious, right? Still, I do think many people equate higher framerate with the motion interpolation "look" even though that's not what it results in obviously. That's just what springs to mind when they hear the terms.

I still think traditional 24fps has its place and uses for certain looks, so I hope choosing a framerate becomes an artistic decision rather than 48 or higher simply becoming default.

No, I didn't know you were being facetious. Must have missed the wink. I don't really know you well and since that is a completely serious argument for many people it is difficult to know who is being serious and who is not.

For the record I was also being facetious when I said that the human eye couldn't see more than 24 frames per second. I'm sorry if that raised anyone's blood pressure.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
As someone who watched all the extended extra features about 10 times that made my fucking week :D

Kermit The Dog said:
Linky here.

For those needing a link to PJ's video.

Damn that gave me chills. Seeing Sir Ian, the Bilbo scenes, the old Indian stunt guy from the trilogy...oh man. This is the only movie that matters to me right now, regardless of how excited I am for Batman and some other stuff. Seeing the LOTR films became a yearly holiday, and this will too regardless of my reservations about the direction of the films (ie LOTR-erizing a novel that isn't LOTR)

Schrade

Fix The Scientist said:
lol almost cried watching that video.
I definitely had some emotions going. Feels like I'm going back home after a long stay away.

Welcome back, Middle Earth.

Leucrota

This is the first time I have ever really watched anything like a "making-of" featurette for a movie, and I am absolutely blown away by all the work put into making an epic film, and am not so pissed about having to pay $10 ($14 if 3D) to see something like this.

Have the LOTR soundtrack and am in love with the song that plays at the beginning of the featurette in Bag End.

Those sets are insanely detailed. Christ.

Dat McKellen

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Kermit The Dog said:
Linky here.

That was better produced, directed, and edited than most full movies I've seen. Wow. I've never been much of a LotR fan but this is definitely on my radar.

jambo

Kermit The Dog said:
Linky here.

wAlpI.jpg

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
I really enjoyed that production diary.

Looking forward to movie.

I am happy that we are able to see some of these now before the movie is released and not have to wait till the extended blu-rays.

I am sure we will get a hell of allot more than what they are willing to show on these small production diaries as well.

Bru

Loved the Production Diary. It’s going to be great to watch The Hobbit slowly make its way to the big screen.

Welcome back Middle-earth, you've been missed.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Zabka said:
Yarp.

WHO LOVES HOBBIT KIDS?!
n5xwP.gif

stolen from a user at ONTD

Even with all the cool stuff in the Hobbit, I am most excited to see Hobbiton again.
Hobbit Kids, fuck yea!

Zeliard

Whimsy! Looks marvelous.

I'm still sad that Del Toro isn't directing but when it's going to be Peter Jackson instead I can't complain much.

glaurung

The first production video blog was beyond awesome.

That might have been the best thing I have seen this week. Properly epic.

WillyFive

That was great, seeing the sets again, and Gandalf!

I greatly enjoyed the Star Wars Episode 2 production dairy, even though I watched it long after the movie came out, it's great being able to see one of these as they come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom