• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefro

Great video blog... seemed to be extended edition quality which was a pleasant surprise. I think they showed too much here if this is going to be a monthly thing. Granted it was mainly stuff we had already seen from LOTR. It's interesting that it's a huge movie but it should be a cakewalk compared to LOTR.

PatMcAtee said:
This is the first time I have ever really watched anything like a "making-of" featurette for a movie, and I am absolutely blown away by all the work put into making an epic film, and am not so pissed about having to pay $10 ($14 if 3D) to see something like this.

You need to get/borrow the Extended Edition of LOTR and watch all the special features on how they made it if you liked this. They're all really interesting.

PatMcAtee said:
This is the first time I have ever really watched anything like a "making-of" featurette for a movie, and I am absolutely blown away by all the work put into making an epic film, and am not so pissed about having to pay $10 ($14 if 3D) to see something like this.

Have the LOTR soundtrack and am in love with the song that plays at the beginning of the featurette in Bag End.

Those sets are insanely detailed. Christ.

Dat McKellen

Seriously, get the Extended Editions of the LOTR movies. The behind-the-scenes documentaries are brilliant. Well-crafted, fascinating and all-round top notch. DO IT.

bengraven

God it's been over 10 years since the first vblogs for LOTR.

Beautiful. Perfect. Seeing McKellen in Bag End was rad.

GCX

So happy to see Alan Lee and John Howe around the sketching table, I hope Lee will release The Hobbit art book at some point. His LOTR Sketchbook is one of the most inspirational art books out there.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Why isn't the Extended Blu-Ray out yet? :(

Oh well, I'm bringing a few friends together to watch the extended and cast commentary on Sunday. Time to get emotional.

Enosh

never read the book, loved LotR, day one on this one, althrough that day seems to be very very far away

oh and jesus christ I don't remember peter jackson being so thin o_O
didn't see him since RotK

Lyphen said:
Why isn't the Extended Blu-Ray out yet? :(

Oh well, I'm bringing a few friends together to watch the extended and cast commentary on Sunday. Time to get emotional.
June for the blus.

And the video was awesome. The line at the end...(tears)

MYE

Enosh said:
never read the book, loved LotR, day one on this one, althrough that day seems to be very very far away

LOTR Peter Jackson
1089670-fat_jackson_super.jpg

King Kong Jackson
1089671-thin_jackson_super.jpg

Aaron

Enosh said:

The Hobbit is a very easy read. Might be a good way to pass the time.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Video diary was really great. I'm considering going on a Hobbit media blackout, though. Which I've never done for any game or movie. But... I'm just thinking that I don't want my first look at Thorin's costume to be in a making-of, etc.

glaurung

Aaron said:
The Hobbit is a very easy read. Might be a good way to pass the time.
Quoted for truth. When I first started reading the book decades ago I blasted through it with a single night, then re-read it for how awesome it was.

It stands to reason that it is so very easy to read due to where it started at: as a bed-time story old man JRRT told his own kids every night, then compiled the bits and published it.

GDJustin said:
Video diary was really great. I'm considering going on a Hobbit media blackout, though. Which I've never done for any game or movie. But... I'm just thinking that I don't want my first look at Thorin's costume to be in a making-of, etc.
Yeah just what I was thinking. I think I'm one and done.

Lach

TekkenMaster said:
So warm and fuzzy inside.
This!

Even though I was happy with Del Toro, this video makes me full of joy that PJ is doing this himself. It's good to see that the production seems to be finally off to a good start! PJ looks good, even if he has regained some weight since KK.

Jangocube

Banned
Ah, that was awesome. Glad PJ is back doing it again. It would feel weird if it was anyone else.

That being said, I'd love to join you guys in a "media blackout", but I know I won't be able to do it. Weak will when it comes to the LotR.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Damn that video blog was great. Nostalgic memories flooded through me like crazy and kinda makes me want to rip the extended DVDs I have though I've been waiting patiently for the blurays to hit first before rewatching it all again after so long. I always loved The Hobbit much more than LOTR, perhaps because it was the first Tolkien book I read. And like others have said, Del Toro would've made this awesome but seeing Peter Jackson back in the helm has me excited moreso.

I imagine, like the trilogy, the actual event of seeing it at the cinemas will be half the joy alone.

Lyphen said:
Oh what the fuck the extended Blurays are still on two discs.

Unless they got 100 gig 4 layer Bluray discs out I would expect the extended versions to be on 2 Discs. I don't want them dropping the bit rate just to squeeze the move on one disc.

Haven't really looked forward to a movie since RotK. This gives me a fresh excitement... along with all the warm, fuzzy feelings. Will follow these videos for sure.

Man

Hopefully they will have updated the flashback of Bilbo finding the ring in the upcoming Blu-ray releases.

oatmeal

Banned
Oh God...

I have been paying some attention to this since it was announced, but that production diary really brought home how special this film is going to be.

Goddam.

Morn

Banned
Shin Johnpv said:
Unless they got 100 gig 4 layer Bluray discs out I would expect the extended versions to be on 2 Discs. I don't want them dropping the bit rate just to squeeze the move on one disc.

Gone with the Wind is longer than the Extended Editions and Warner fit it on one Blu-Ray AND it looks fucking incredible.

This is just Warner being lazy to not do new edits of the EEs for the Blu-Rays. They'd have to do a new edit to combine the two parts from the old DVD, and this release is just a cash grab. Jackson has absolutely nothing to do with it as he's planning his own Extended Boxed set WITH new extras (there are no new extras on the June release) after The Hobbit is done.

oatmeal said:
Oh God...

I have been paying some attention to this since it was announced, but that production diary really brought home how special this film is going to be.

Goddam.

It was very surreal seeing the Bag End and Rivendell sets again, I still actually can't quite believe that this has actually started filming after the delays and production problems.

Howard Shore's score and the inevitable art books. Hopefully they will re-release the weapons and stuff so I will have a better chance to buy them.

Oh my god

Holy shit. I geeked the fuck out during that whole video. Great to see Rivendell and Bag End again.

And damn, when I saw Ian Mckellen just chilling there :).

rezuth

jett said:
PJ has fell off the wagon! He seems to be a bit pudgier than before.
I thought I was the only one, not giving shit or anything. He still looks more healthy than me.

The diary was amazing.

Morn said:
Gone with the Wind is longer than the Extended Editions and Warner fit it on one Blu-Ray AND it looks fucking incredible.

This is just Warner being lazy to not do new edits of the EEs for the Blu-Rays. They'd have to do a new edit to combine the two parts from the old DVD, and this release is just a cash grab. Jackson has absolutely nothing to do with it as he's planning his own Extended Boxed set WITH new extras (there are no new extras on the June release) after The Hobbit is done.
Shit, that sucks. So I should keep holding off on LoTR on bluray until Jackson releases a definitive version?

Truant

jett said:
PJ has fell off the wagon! He seems to be a bit pudgier than before.

Considering what he lost the last time, this duo of films should reduce him to a pile of bones and a beard.

So is Saiorse Ronan confirmed for this film or what?

So glad to know that Shore is back for the score. The music in these films were some of the best ever.

~Kinggi~

Banned
After watching the video and getting the warm fuzzies i came to the realization this is going to print more money than i previously conceived. In 3d even. All they gotta do is tout around PJ and Ian Mckellen with a bunch of pre-release videos and a marketing campaign and they will be filthy rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom