• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

Who is that kooky character with the hedgehog-like creature? I don't remember or recognize him.

Radagast the Brown.

He's one of the five Wizards. Probably third in power after Saruman and Gandalf.

Where Gandalf loves the people of Middle-Earth, Radagast loves the animals which makes people think he's lost it.

Baron

Radagast the Brown.

He's one of the five Wizards. Probably third in power after Saruman and Gandalf.

Where Gandalf loves the people of Middle-Earth, Radagast loves the animals which makes people think he's lost it.

Ah, okay. I don't recall him having a huge part in the book - they seem to have expanded it a bit, which is fine by me. I may be wrong, it's been a while since I read it.

Ixion

Ah, okay. I don't recall him having a huge part in the book - they seem to have expanded it a bit, which is fine by me. I may be wrong, it's been a while since I read it.

Radagast is only mentioned in The Hobbit. He doesn't appear though. He's only in the LOTR for a brief moment (which was cut from the films).

However, they've included him in these films because of the Necromancer plot. The White Council are dealing with the Necromancer and Radagast aids The White Council.

bengraven

I like the bit with the hedgehog. It makes it seem like Radagast has been staying away from the conflicts, but with the darkness affecting his forest chums, he's ready to step forward.

jaxword

I like the approach Jackson is taking to expand the Hobbit to include the rest of the Tolkien material that most people would not have read. I really doubt the general populace has read or even heard of the Simarillion.

Is the streaming version on your site (is it yours ?) 60 fps ?

There is a version that is ?

You mean 48 FPS? I don't think they've released that version. I'd love to see it though, but they probably want people to experience that in theater first. I'll update if I see it pop up though.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
gotta say i wasnt feeling the trailer sadly, but the alternate endings are nice, especially the Sting one

I'm not a big fan of everything being CG this time, the goblins in LOTR for instance looked fantastic with the makeup effects. But still some of the shots in the trailer looked amazing. Really hyped for this one, and it definitely seems like it will be the FOTR of the trilogy. The calm before the storm.

I'm not a big fan of everything being CG this time, the goblins in LOTR for instance looked fantastic with the makeup effects. But still some of the shots in the trailer looked amazing. Really hyped for this one, and it definitely seems like it will be the FOTR of the trilogy. The calm before the storm.

That is my only single concern for the trilogy- too much CGI. I'm confident my fears will be cast aside though.

Does anyone know of any digital editions of the illustrated Tolkien books?

I'm mainly looking for Alan Lee's The Hobbit and Ted Nasmith's The Silmarillion.

Angry Fork

I loved the LOTR trilogy but didn't care about this movie at all since it didn't have the people from LOTR just a bunch of hobbits which never interested me in LOTR trilogy. It just seemed like a thing only fans of the book would love, but I've just seen the most recent trailer and it looked really awesome. I think I'll go see it in imax if only for the visuals which seem to be spectacular.

I loved the LOTR trilogy but didn't care about this movie at all since it didn't have the people from LOTR just a bunch of hobbits which never interested me in LOTR trilogy. It just seemed like a thing only fans of the book would love, but I've just seen the most recent trailer and it looked really awesome. I think I'll go see it in imax if only for the visuals which seem to be spectacular.

There are fewer Hobbits in the Hobbit than in LOTR. Now if you don't like Dwarves on the other hand, then you may have a problem.

Cheebo

Banned

"a bunch of hobbits"? There are far less hobbits in this than LOTR.

Angry Fork

There are fewer Hobbits in the Hobbit than in LOTR. Now if you don't like Dwarves on the other hand, then you may have a problem.

It's not dwarves I don't like it's basically the whole party stuff that was at the beginning of Fellowship of the Ring. When you had all these people dancing and singing songs doing ritual things and it's this fun hokey atmosphere. I really hate that and the initial Hobbit trailer gave off that impression.

Like I pictured it being about Bilbo's extended family coming to visit him and they all decide to go on a jolly ol' folksy adventure where they drink beer and hiccup on a raft while telling jokes to each other in Welsh accents. That stuff is infuriatingly boring. It didn't seem serious or as as high-stakes as LOTR trilogy until the most recent trailer which showed lots of the 'epic' stuff.

"a bunch of hobbits"? There are far less hobbits in this than LOTR.

They were as short as Bilbo so I assumed they were. The first trailer showing all the names of them just made me think of Snow White and it would be some sort of Disney-esque adventure.

-griffy-

Banned
Like I pictured it being about Bilbo's extended family coming to visit him and they all decide to go on a jolly ol' folksy adventure where they drink beer and hiccup on a raft while telling jokes to each other in Welsh accents. That stuff is infuriatingly boring. It didn't seem serious or as as high-stakes as LOTR trilogy until the most recent trailer which showed lots of the 'epic' stuff.
So what you're saying is you have no idea what the story of The Hobbit is then :p Got it.

Don't worry, there's plenty of awesome stuff as the newest trailer has shown. And you'll get some giant battles in the later movies too.

GCX

It's not dwarves I don't like it's basically the whole party stuff that was at the beginning of Fellowship of the Ring. When you had all these people dancing and singing songs doing ritual things and it's this fun hokey atmosphere. I really hate that and the initial Hobbit trailer gave off that impression.
I didn't know people could hate the Shire scenes from FOTR.

Angry Fork

I didn't know people could hate the Shire scenes from FOTR.

I just think it's so boring. It's a bunch of people in a meaningless dull village brooming leaves off the road, running family pubs and shops that sell hay and wood. I don't know how they live with themselves. The fireworks display is the only time where they're able to do anything other than wash clothes in a bucket and grow vegetables. I just don't get it. It doesn't become interesting for me until real adventure and mystery begins when you realize what the ring can do and that bad people are looking for it.

GCX

I just think it's so boring. It's a bunch of people in a meaningless dull village brooming leaves off the road, running family pubs and shops that sell hay and wood. I don't know how they live with themselves. The fireworks display is the only time where they're able to do anything other than wash clothes in a bucket and grow vegetables. I just don't get it. It doesn't become interesting for me until real adventure and mystery begins when you realize what the ring can do and that bad people are looking for it.
The Shire scenes lay foundation to the whole adventure. Stuff like Sam's speech at the end of TTT would mean nothing if we hadn't spent a little time in the Shire at the beginning. And honestly the whole ring business starts pretty early on, it's not like the first hour of the movie is just brooming leaves.

I'm worried Dantes has really got himself in an accident or something while hurrying home from work to watch the trailer.

''Run Toyota, show us the meaning of haste!''

How do you live with yourself

mrkgoo

It seems like you totally understand the scenes themselves but completely missed the point on why. A story has to have an arc, it has to go somewhere. And to go somewhere it has to come from somewhere. It,s the entire point that the hobbits are not adventurers, which makes them stand out when on an adventure!

Rootbeer

Banned
A prep school of young boys in the UK made a feature length Hobbit film. Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KMPQ-msBRO8

From the movie's website:

Filming - facts

- Filming took place over 16 full days, in many different locations.
- 69 actors were involved over the period of filming.
- The dragon Smaug is voiced by Lawrence Trowbride, Lead Ranger at Ashridge Estate.
- The film will be 90 minutes in length.
- There were 5 makeup artists on set for most filming days.
- The 13 dwarves took 2 hours to be made up each day before any filming could be started.
- The film is made up of 108 scenes.
- The production crew has been made up only of only 4 people.
- We believe we are the first prep school in the UK to make a full length feature film.

Wow... quite a production. I would love to see this! We have to convince them to put it online somehow.

That is a concept art, right, right?

More like a modern equivalent of matte painting.

Isn't this the very beginning of the film, before the shrine scene?

Rootbeer

Banned
Tonight I am watching The Hobbit (1977) by Rankin/Bass for probably the 50th time. Though this time it is a bit more special... this version is the hi-fi hobbit. It pairs the great DVD Hobbit video with the superior old VHS audio track. Sadly, the DVD version has inferior sound, missing lots of the sound effects and the like.

There is a video on youtube that compares the sounds, but recently a WB copyright claim was made against the video... odd because the entire Hobbit film is uploaded several times on youtube.

The first time I saw The Hobbit, I was very young. Maybe 6yo. My grandmother had a laserdisc player and somehow we had access to a copy of The Hobbit on the format. It was a huge influence on me... I went on to become a pretty big fan of D&D and all other things fantasy. I wonder how different I'd view these things if not for this film...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom