• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just think it's so boring. It's a bunch of people in a meaningless dull village brooming leaves off the road, running family pubs and shops that sell hay and wood. I don't know how they live with themselves. The fireworks display is the only time where they're able to do anything other than wash clothes in a bucket and grow vegetables. I just don't get it. It doesn't become interesting for me until real adventure and mystery begins when you realize what the ring can do and that bad people are looking for it.

The Shire isn't supposed to be "interesting," it's supposed to be peaceful. Something people in a war want. If the whole movie was conflict, what would they be fighting for?

bengraven

Man, I wish my school was ridiculously cool and would film an adaptation of...anything.

Also, go away Shire haters. The best part of the films AND the best part of the soundtrack.

I'm worried Dantes has really got himself in an accident or something while hurrying home from work to watch the trailer.

''Run Toyota, show us the meaning of haste!''

He'll have a tale or two to tell when he comes back.

Chuckie

I love the Lord of the Rings cartoon from 1978 (only first half of the trilogy) despite all the hate it got. Lovely atmosphere.

It looked like shit

normal_2celsBGfrom%20sequenceAragornBoromirswordsdrawn.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Did Dantes get a heart attack due to the new trailer or something?

We're going to form a companionship of nine GAFers to go on a quest to find him.

This looks fucking ace.

And yeah, where the fuck is Dante.

I'm worried Dantes has really got himself in an accident or something while hurrying home from work to watch the trailer.

''Run Toyota, show us the meaning of haste!''

Seriously. Looks like his last post was 4 hours before the trailer, on Wednesday morning.

He just had to go south on some business, he'll be back.

To the Chateau D'if, no doubt.

He'll have a tale or two to tell when he comes back.

Can you promise that he will come back?

...no.

But if he does...he will not be the same.
iCDk2ZkpXBvpj.jpg

I come back to you now.

But seriously, sorry for causing any concern. I've been extremely busy these past few days helping with the local Hobbit anniversary/Hobbit day festivities. Good fun.

Our Fellowship has not ended, it will endure long into 2014 and maybe beyond. Our perilous journey continues. The Grey Havens must wait.

Now to watch the trailer as I haven't had a chance to yet.

I think that new one sheet looks rather awkward actually. I never thought I'd see a poster with Bilbo in the sword across chest stoic hero pose.

Cheebo

Banned
I think that new one sheet looks rather awkward actually. I never thought I'd see a poster with Bilbo in the sword across chest stoic hero pose.

I think it is just to be a throwback to the Frodo poster more than anything else. And I am unsure if you read the Hobbit yet but to be vague as possible Bilbo becomes a bit of a badass by the time the journey is done. A far cry from the bumbling comic relief he starts out as.

bengraven

Edmond Dantès;42432159 said:
iCDk2ZkpXBvpj.jpg

I come back to you now.

Dammit, you stole the joke I was going to use when you came back. :p

Except I was going to add the "at the turn of the tide" line.

Our Fellowship has not ended, it will endure long into 2014 and maybe beyond. Our perilous journey continues. The Grey Havens must wait.

You have my axe.

Dead

well not really...yet
I bet the running time is closer to 145-150 minutes. Shorter than the original flicks, but still fairly long.

despire

Gotta love the original Finnish cover illustrated by The Moomins creator Tove Jansson:

cUXL4.jpg

Never seen this one. You can clearly tell it's Jansson's illustration. Interesting that the title of the book is literally `Dragon Mountain´ and not Hobitti like it should be and is nowadays. Wonder when they changed it.

Loxley

Anyone know why Jackson didn't wanna direct the hobbit in the first place?

I think after The Lord of the Rings he sort of swore to himself that he'd never take on a directorial task that absurdly daunting again, and would only produce (after all he's not getting any younger). My assumption is that after Del Toro dropped out he was sort of left without any other director who could clear their schedule for 4+ years to work on one series of films, so he opted to do it.

Branduil

That reminds me,

iZtvVagfGxzk3.jpg

How many of you have read The Hobbit graphic novel? I've always enjoyed the art, it has a sense of dignified agedness while still retaining that feeling of comic-book immediacy in the action.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Has anyone played this?

Watching some vids, looks like a collectathon targeted at a kids, but it doesn't look terrible, and actually well made and kinda fun.
Personally, I would wait for the Lego Lord of the Rings game. It looks like a pretty good adaptation of the film trilogy and looks fun too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom