• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The inherent problem with smashburgers

diffusionx

Gold Member
I go to Shake Shack, it's great.

I also went to a place in a Charlotte food hall that was tremendous, I can't remember the name.

Mikado

You have to go fast. Seconds count.

Like, 2 minutes on the fire is too long.

If the chef isn't on the ball, doesn't give a shit, or is cooking for the FDA Recommended 45-minutes-per-side, then yeah they'll be nasty little meat crackers.

Done correctly they're juicy and amazing. Had some just this weekend.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

If the chef isn't on the ball, doesn't give a shit, or is cooking for the FDA Recommended 45-minutes-per-side, then yeah they'll be nasty little meat crackers.

I think that was the problem they were to thin and not juicy at all. I liked the crispyness but imo that should be the edges not the the whole patty through.

SoloCamo

And you've got to have the right equipment for the job. I make hamburgers all the time and dare I say I'm damn good at it, but smashburgers are much harder to get right. Timing is everything.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
i don't eat bread - the burgers are the buns - so that style is practically necessary. as a master meat cooker, technique and tools are everything.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
What that is cuh?
It's a legend from the state of Minnesota and has spread throughout the state and now the rest of the country.
The gist of it is a mouth-watering burger where the cheese is stuffed inside of the patty.

117948448_a436c001e4.jpg

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
I've had the pleasure of somehow having a well done on the outside but raw as hell inside smash burger before. Impressed on how that was accomplished.

The crispiness along with the cheese and additional grilled toppings are what make them great. And echoing everyone else, a double is minimum.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
the secret is searing fast on a hot as hell skillet. i dry age my burger, so they aren't very juicy, but i love the flavor. mixed with bacon and a hot browned butter drizzle, it almost brings a tear to my eyes. for about 25% the cost of a shitty fast food burger.

Yerd

I have been subjected to smash burgers at home for the last few months. Cooked by someone else. I find the same thing. I don't like these dry crispy burgers. I bought a flat top grill for outside and finally get it delivered tomorrow. I will be trying them myself. I have been looking up recipes for flat top grilling and of course smash burger is the most popular. But, my experience with smashburgers at home makes it the last thing I want to make, honestly. I will get to them eventually. Hopefully I can perfect the cooking to my liking.

To me a good burger is the meat. If I can't enjoy the taste of the burger without all the bullshit condiments, it's not a good burger. Secret sauces don't make a shit burger good.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
ZfJJNNR.jpeg

96JJUeg.jpeg

I want you to know you inspired me to make some quick single-patty smashburgers, and they were juicy and delicious. So thank you 🙏

I would have gone bougier, but I only have a half hour for lunch today 😂

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Man those were fucking delicious. I think someone did you dirty, Days. Find a different place for smashburgers and give it another go. (Or make them at home!)

It’s not complicated, but I can give you my “recipe” if you want.

Last edited:

SoloCamo

ZfJJNNR.jpeg

96JJUeg.jpeg

I want you to know you inspired me to make some quick single-patty smashburgers, and they were juicy and delicious. So thank you 🙏

I would have gone bougier, but I only have a half hour for lunch today 😂

Looks good but needs more crust to be perfection.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Man those were fucking delicious. I think someone did you dirty, Days. Find a different place for smashburgers and give it another go. (Or make them at home!)

I will definitely give them another shot. I guess a fastfood smashburger should not have been my introduction to them.

Dacvak

Looks good but needs more crust to be perfection.
It’s true. I was unfortunately using 85/15, so I didn’t have quite enough fat for a good crust. Plus I’m using a quick diffusing skillet on a stove instead of a proper griddle. Still, it was god damn good.

I do need to buy a heat-retaining griddle, tho

SoloCamo

It’s true. I was unfortunately using 85/15, so I didn’t have quite enough fat for a good crust. Plus I’m using a quick diffusing skillet on a stove instead of a proper griddle. Still, it was god damn good.

Yea, it makes all the difference. I'm unfortunately in a situation where I can either use the charcoal grill outside or my glass top stove... I was afraid to use my old cast iron on the stovetop but recently switched back to using it for meats and oh boy was I missing out over the years. A ripping hot cast iron pan or griddle gets the perfect crust and is only second to the outside grill.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Go big or go home.

I have a separate stand-alone single pan induction cooktop that plugs into a regular outlet if I need to cook noodles or boil potatoes. But otherwise, whether it’s bacon and eggs, burgers, hibachi, fried rice… it all gets cooked on that bigass griddle.

I used to use an outdoor Blackstone griddle, but cooking on it for an extended period in 90+ degree summers and -10 degree wind chill winters grew tiresome. The indoor griddle was a purchase I definitely don’t regret.

Dacvak

I will definitely give them another shot. I guess a fastfood smashburger should not have been my introduction to them.
Best way to make them is using 75/25 beef (or 80/20 in a pinch). Grab a $10 smash burger press from Amazon (or just use something heat resistant and flat… I used to use my coffee kettle). Salt and pepper a meat ball on both sides, put a piece of parchment on top, and SMASH it into your skillet or griddle. Turn it over once the outsides of the patty are brown. Lay on a piece of cheese (American is my go to) and let it cook for another 60s or so.

It’s honestly hard to fuck these up, and they’re super quick to make. I’d recommend toasting a potato roll and mixing up your favorite condiments to spread. (I use a 1:1:1 of mustard/ketchup/mayo if I’m being lazy).

Yea, it makes all the difference. I'm unfortunately in a situation where I can either use the charcoal grill outside or my glass top stove... I was afraid to use my old cast iron on the stovetop but recently switched back to using it for meats and oh boy was I missing out over the years. A ripping hot cast iron pan or griddle gets the perfect crust and is only second to the outside grill.

Man, same. Charcoal grill outside, glass stove inside. It does work with the inside cast iron, but it makes the whole fucking house smokey 😂

There are a few electric griddles on Amazon around $50 that apparently work really well I’m gonna eventually buy one so I can cook outside (cause holy shit making burgers indoors makes sooooo much smoke 😂)

Dacvak

Go big or go home.

I have a separate stand-alone single pan induction cooktop that plugs into a regular outlet if I need to cook noodles or boil potatoes. But otherwise, whether it’s bacon and eggs, burgers, hibachi, fried rice… it all gets cooked on that bigass griddle.

I used to use an outdoor Blackstone griddle, but cooking on it for an extended period in 90+ degree summers and -10 degree wind chill winters grew tiresome. The indoor griddle was a purchase I definitely don’t regret.
Yo fuck that Steelmade shit for ranges and electric grills. Unless your range already has ideal heat distribution, those things are useless indoors.

But I LOVE those Blackstone outdoor griddles. They’re cheap as shit and have great heat distribution. Plus you won’t have to deal with all the smoke inside your house 😂

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
A well cooked smash burger is great and all, but IMO, a charcoal grilled burger (with some mesquite or oak wood for smoking). 1/2 pound. 80/20 chuck is just about as perfection as one is going to get.

Ya I like a nice double smash but thicker is what I prefer.

Raven117

Ya I like a nice double smash but thicker is what I prefer.
200w.gif

Im also old enough to remember when "char-broiled" burgers were all the rage. This stuff ebbs and flows.

But damn, in the end.. A burger and fries is just one of the top most comforting foods there are.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I like them, but I also like a thicker burger as well. I think what you could do is make sure your patty that you smash is 6 ounces and not 4.

At Freddy's you should get the chili Cheese fries and then hate yourself later.

Liljagare

A good smash takes some experience. You can deffo make it malliard all around and medium rare to rare in the centre, but it's all about 30-40 seconds, or you get the well done stuff.

(Unsure though if you want rare ground where you live, food safety varies from country to country, and ground needs to be handled with care, ground from a centre cut to the pan is preferred).

I love to make smash burgers, with ground moose, which is less forgiving than beef.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
A real burger eater will never put a smash burger thin patty in their top 10.

Real burgers are thicker and allow for the meat to be cooked to your liking.

A medium rare smash burger for example isn’t really possible and would taste like ass.

If the meat isn’t the star of the burger then it doesn’t matter. Everything else should be able to elevate the patty. Too much of anything destroys the point of a good burger. The only other true key ingredient is a bun because it can take away from the meat entirely if it’s hard or tastes odd.

Arsic

Its seamen, animal seamen.

Dacvak

A real burger eater will never put a smash burger thin patty in their top 10.

Real burgers are thicker and allow for the meat to be cooked to your liking.

A medium rare smash burger for example isn’t really possible and would taste like ass.

If the meat isn’t the star of the burger then it doesn’t matter. Everything else should be able to elevate the patty. Too much of anything destroys the point of a good burger. The only other true key ingredient is a bun because it can take away from the meat entirely if it’s hard or tastes odd.
This is both a bad and a fair/reasonable take. Here’s the thing: Smash burgers usually make the other elements of a burger stand out, while making the meat complimentary of all of the other aspects of a burger. In my opinion, that’s why it’s good.

If you have insanely high quality ground chuck (which is a bit antithetical imo), then you can make the ground patty the star of the show. If you’re going for a flavor of pure meat, then that’s awesome. FWIW, that’s how I make my burgers 50% of the time, especially during american holidays like Memorial Day and the 4th of July. Nothing wrong with that at all.

But sometimes you just want a flavor diversity explosion, and just your ground beef isn’t gonna give that to you. That’s where the smash burger comes in. You get a crusty, juicy maillard burger patty (or preferably two) absolutely covered in delicious melty, salty American cheese, with some sweet grilled onions, and the bite of a nice mustard. Then add a few veggies of choice on a pillowy bun, preferably a fresh potato roll. Sweet mama christ, there’s nothing like it!

A good smash burger is a symphony of textures and flavors, all contained in a handheld vessel. No aspect of the burger is more important than the next, because they work in concert to elevate each other. So you get the opportunity to min-max not only the burger patty, but the quality of the pickles, cheese, mustard, bun, etc., and additional components end up mattering. That’s the beauty of the smash burger. The sum of its part are so much greater than the whole, but only when you do it right.

Smash burgers are a different beast than the classic thick patty burger, but they deserve just as much adulation and reverence. I hope someday you find the second side of burger-Jesus and experience a truly great smash burger, my brother in meat. 🙏

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
This is both a bad and a fair/reasonable take. Here’s the thing: Smash burgers usually make the other elements of a burger stand out, while making the meat complimentary of all of the other aspects of a burger. In my opinion, that’s why it’s good.

If you have insanely high quality ground chuck (which is a bit antithetical imo), then you can make the ground patty the star of the show. If you’re going for a flavor of pure meat, then that’s awesome. FWIW, that’s how I make my burgers 50% of the time, especially during american holidays like Memorial Day and the 4th of July. Nothing wrong with that at all.

But sometimes you just want a flavor diversity explosion, and just your ground beef isn’t gonna give that to you. That’s where the smash burger comes in. You get a crusty, juicy maillard burger patty (or preferably two) absolutely covered in delicious melty, salty American cheese, with some sweet grilled onions, and the bite of a nice mustard. Then add a few veggies of choice on a pillowy bun, preferably a fresh potato roll. Sweet mama christ, there’s nothing like it!

A good smash burger is a symphony of textures and flavors, all contained in a handheld vessel. No aspect of the burger is more important than the next, because they work in concert to elevate each other. So you get the opportunity to min-max not only the burger patty, but the quality of the pickles, cheese, mustard, bun, etc., and additional components end up mattering. That’s the beauty of the smash burger. The sum of its part are so much greater than the whole, but only when you do it right.

Smash burgers are a different beast than the classic thick patty burger, but they deserve just as much adulation and reverence. I hope someday you find the second side of burger-Jesus and experience a truly great smash burger, my brother in meat. 🙏
esy6l6m.gif

Arsic

You haven’t convinced me to try more smash burgers but I will suck your dick.

Fair? Fair.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont have smashburgers often, but I enjoy them. I've even done it myself at home.

But what I dont understand is why some places smash up the bun too like they pounded it with their fist. Just have a nice toasted bun.

Top Bottom