• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

G-Fex said:
So one not so great acclaimed KOF game and it's automatic hate but a billion bad sonic games and you goons come back for more. For shame.

I know KOF and SNK brand name isn't big but..oh well. Sad.
That's the thing though. SNK doesn't have the safety net anymore of a large group of fans willing to forgive mistakes. KoF sadly doesn't have nearly the fan base it used to and now must now make sure that every effort from here on out counts.

"More hyped for this then SSF4. KOFXII had better ideas, just lousier execution.

I thought you were "done" with SNK after KOFXII. That's some flimsy conviction.

Gunloc said:
That's the thing though. SNK doesn't have the safety net anymore of a large group of fans willing to forgive mistakes. KoF sadly doesn't have nearly the fan base it used to and now must now make sure that every effort from here on out counts.

Yep KOF 12 turn off a few of my friends , been playing since the first one, all the KOF games for there time were good leading up to 98. After that KOF just went down hill until XI to me, not counting 98um and 2002um.

SNK need to say to hell with the storyline and do a another good dream match game. XII was a nightmare.

jett

D-Member
lol fersis

I hope this time it has a decently-sized roster with more than like 2 backgrounds. Also, let's hope it's not broken as all fuck!

ShinAmano

Well...lets hope it turns out well...I still want my Capcom vs SNK 3...so this needs to be slightly relevant for Capcom to consider that.

G-Fex

ShinAmano said:
Well...lets hope it turns out well...I still want my Capcom vs SNK 3...so this needs to be slightly relevant for Capcom to consider that.

Capcom make 2D fighters?

:lol :lol

G-Fex

_dementia said:
they commission Eighting and DIMPS to make them

You mean 2.5 d fighters?

No longer sprite based like the past 12 KOF games have been or CVS1 and 2 and the Marvel Vs. Series.

You know the fighting game fan inside of me is well past dead. I was a KOF nut, now I'm finding myself barely wanting to defend the series. Well I guess that's over with. Time to see what else to play.

Karmacide said:
Put Ralf and Clark on a diet!

Tell them to stop stealing Joe's food!

Considering how long it takes Playmore to make these sprites we're prob going to be stuck with them for the next decade.

Sucks cause it means they have to get the general stances/poses/sizes right the first time or we're stuck with them the way they are. Ralf are Clark are perfect examples of this problem as no amount of art or animation tweaks are going fix their hulk status. They'll just have to make new sprites for them, which they aren't going to do.

Let's just hope XIII ends up being the game XII should have been.

G-Fex said:
You mean 2.5 d fighters?

No longer sprite based like the past 12 KOF games have been or CVS1 and 2 and the Marvel Vs. Series.
CvS2 and MvC2 were 2.5D

2d characters, 3D backgrounds.

natural evolution...

and i hate to break this to you, but KOF12's sprites were traced over 3D models!

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
G-Fex said:
So one not so great acclaimed KOF game and it's automatic hate but a billion bad sonic games and you goons come back for more. For shame.

I know KOF and SNK brand name isn't big but..oh well. Sad.

To be fair, most of the KOF games were bad

Only 95, 98, 02, and XI (and the appropiate UMs) had competitive value

98 is still my all-time most played fighter though, it was THAT good.

Note: lack of hype for SNK was trumped by disappointment with Capcom. I didn't expect SSF4 to go completely opposite of the direction I wanted it to go. That's what gave SNK a 2nd final chance. It's going to be wait an see a bit.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Teknopathetic said:
"More hyped for this then SSF4. KOFXII had better ideas, just lousier execution.

:lol

woodypop

Still waiting for a drastic price drop on XII so I can get it for collection's sake. I can't believe it's still $50 new at Gamestop.

I came in expecting new information. We're not going to know anything for awhile.

Bad KOFs, naw? Titles that couldn't be played competitively, sure.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I suspected from the outset that KOFXII would be an incomplete segment of a much larger rebuilding effort. XIII may not be the true end point either, but I tend to think things will trend better.

KoFXII was an incomplete Nona nightmare of a game. But, on the plus side, it should be easy to fix. That there's a KoFXIII to begin with means that SNK aren't completely stupid and budgeted for XII not being a success.

The 480p sprites can't be helped but that's a minor problem. This is what MUST be done:

* 10+ new characters, new or old - I'd want Billy and Yamazaki but really anyone is fair
* At least ten brand new backgrounds as ALL of the ones in this game suck - with NO sped up looping animations cluttering the air
* A proper single-player mode with a boss and pointless dialogue - really, how long would it take?
* Recolor everything to not be Nona-brown - KofXI had awesome color
* Beef up the movelists of everyone - two moves for Mature is a ***** disgrace

That would be a good start. Remember, KoF took three games to get good in the first place so the first of a reboot can be excused. And it's not as if Capcom has made a first good game in a series between 1992 and 2008...

Of course, I'd see the entire series killed if it meant getting Samurai Shodown back to its 2D glory, but that's not happening now is it?

SiegfriedFM said:
Remember, KoF took three games to get good in the first place so the first of a reboot can be excused.

KOF 95 was pretty good. If we're talking about from a quality standpoint, than it's a good game. From a fighting-community competitive standpoint, not so much.

CPS2

This should be good, more characters, more stages, what else do you really need? People don't seem to have too many complaints about the combat, it's just other stuff that shows they didn't have enough time to finish XII.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Teknopathetic said:

PWND!!
And he isnt going to buy SSFIV either...

jett said:
lol fersis

I hope this time it has a decently-sized roster with more than like 2 backgrounds. Also, let's hope it's not broken as all fuck!
KOFXII wasnt broken, its pretty balanced. At least the 5 or 6 characters that have a complete moveset.

Kagari said:
Wut?

LowParry

I'll hop on board for now. I gave XII a try. Liked it. Just wasn't the complete package. XIII I hope does this game some justice.

Korigama

G-Fex said:
You mean 2.5 d fighters?

Last sprite-based one was Basara X, which Capcom commissioned Arc to make (and was terribly broken).

Shanoa

Banned
KFXII was a dissapointment and i don't know what to expect about XIII.

So i'm not joining the hype train this time.

And bring back Eiji Kisaragi.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Spiderjericho said:
KOF 95 was pretty good. If we're talking about from a quality standpoint, than it's a good game. From a fighting-community competitive standpoint, not so much.

95, for its time, was a good fighterr even competively.

It competed against the first Darkstalkers and SFA1, as well as Fatal Fury 3 and Samsho 3.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Fersis said:
PWND!!
And he isnt going to buy SSFIV either...

Wut?

I'm playing the tsundere card on SSFIV. I'll buy it but not because I like it ^_^.

(and because I'm underbudget on games, too many hours working= money to spend that I wouldn't otherwise)

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
jett said:
Aren't there like several infinite, 100% and near-100% combos thanks to the critical counter crap?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W07IjAXb70w

the fug

I believe that was patched out, and wasn't allowed in tournies anyways (was not in arcade)

KOFXII's critical customs requiring a CH to start was a good idea- I'd like to see it tweaked some, maybe make it based of something other then a close normal. Standing CD perhaps, or a set special per character?

Top Bottom