• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

Shadow780

They need to change this abomination too:

250px-Athena_kofXII.jpg

WTF man?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The Take Out Bandit said:
XBLA games = Microsoft hand holding.

SNK needs to develop titles for multiple platforms with online play themselves in order to be relevant to the larger console market. MS isn't going to help you get decent netcode on a Sony system.

Nope, sorry. Other XBLA fighters I have played do not have this problem. It's just the SNK games -regardless of console- that have had shitty online play all-around. I have been told by friends in Japan that there really isn't much of an issue with online play there, and I can believe it, since I was living there when FFS and SS2 were on XBLA. When I played other Japanese players, net play was buttery smooth. Perhaps this is a case of the developers not thinking enough about infrastructure elsewhere. Regardless, it's no excuse.

I'll take it. I don't mind.

The thing is, they had new sprites for Ralf and Clark that were new versions of their '99+ sprites. They looked perfect. The hulking behemoths they changed them into just don't look right in-game.

Well that's where Japanese / Western tastes differ. Last year we got KoF98UM and only the hardcore fans picked it up. Everybody else passed because it's an old ass 2D fighter, no online play, and on last generation hardware.

It took them too long to bring out '98 UM in the U.S. anyway. The Japanese version has (had?) online play, BTW. And it also came out on XBLA last year for $10 with online play. Unfortunately, the online pretty much still sucks overall. I can get a decent match every now and then -if I can actually find someone to play- but it's mostly pretty laggy.

Hope they release 2002UM here at some point. Will probably get about as much play as the rest of my fighters though. Bought Samurai Shodown Anthology last year, god damn thing is still in the shrink wrap. None of my pals locally like fighters that involve more than button mashing (SC4 is a real hit) and I won't waste my time against a computer. :\

It appears that 2002 UM is only coming out outside of Japan on XBLA. '98 UM was disappointing in that it got no enhancements and didn't even have the arranged music/3D backgrounds the PS2 port had, but I think 2002 UM will be different, since NeoGeo Battle Coliseum is getting enhanced for its XBLA release.

I don't understand why SNK doesn't also release these titles for PSN, however.

Oichi said:
I hope they get rid of the zoom-in on the sprites though. They make the sprites look hella ugly, but if they were always zoomed out they'd look pretty damn spiffy.

Or at least have an option to turn the zoom on or off.

GuardianE said:
Even if you thought the art design was hideous or the music atrocious (neither of which I agree with), you cannot deny how buttery smooth the netplay was. That's what KoFXIII needs to strive for to be relevant.
_dementia said:
blazblue also has massive input time windows compared to other fighters, so that really helps in the online setting

IIRC, didn't Arc say that they developed BlazBlue with online play in mind in the first place? BlazBlue's online play absolutely destroys all the other console fighting games. It's in a class of its own. Amazing considering how unplayable GGXX #Reload was on the OG XBox.

ccbfan said:
XIII is probably gonna be bad/mediocre anyways. XV or later is gonna be where its at.

It takes a least 3 KOfs before a good one pops up. (Not counting ports and remakes)

First good one was 98. Then 2002 was great then XI was OK.

Nah. '94 was good and '95 improved on everything it needed. '96 was like '94 and was improved on with '97, then perfected with '98. '99 also started over and was again improved on with 2000. It's 2001 that people generally turn their noses down to (although personally I think it's the best of all the striker-based games, game play-wise, that's not saying much since I don't care much for any of them), mainly because of its graphics and sound. And Eolith got it right with 2002. Then they started over again with 2003, and it was improved on with XI.

Before XII came along, I would have said that 2001 was the worst in the series, but it at least felt like a complete fighting game. XII felt like a beta; combine that with shit online and you have a real problem.

outsidah said:
I'm a huge SNK fan (of their past work anyway) and used to buy up all kinds of SNK crap. All of their new stuff has been nothing but let downs. I'm tired of putting down money for their product day one only to have crap like KOF12 delivered to me.

I know I've said this countless times, but I cannot say it enough: DO NOT BUY SAMURAI SHODOWN SEN. If you thought XII was bad, you won't believe how much worse Sen is. While it feels "complete," it just has awful, stiff, circa 1995 3D fighter game play.

N4Us said:
I don't care about XIII right now, I just want 2002UM here right now in some form.

Again, 2002 UM is coming out for XBLA.

Heezzi

Banned
They should've just made the game in 3d.

Fix the way Kyo fights. Kyo '94 sucks and always will suck. Terry needs the Busta Wolf as a Super, if not I will not buy.

That way when Capcom vs SNK 3 is made, I can practice.

mollipen

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I mean for crying out loud, how can they not put Mai in XII? That's like leaving Chun-Li out of SFIV!!!

Or like leaving Chun Li out of Street Fighter III!

... oh, wait.

akilshohen said:
Right here. Depends on the version available in the game though. I perfer the version from 99 on up because of the air game.

Wow, you are like the mirror-world me. I love Mai, but only if we're talking '98 or earlier. I cannot stand her from '99 on.

DR2K

Banned
KOFXII was a very fun game. It just lacked content and a quality netcode. The CC system was a blast. The game looked gorgeous too. I think if XIII manages to at least be what XII should have been, which shouldn't be a problem since the groundwork has been established, we're in for an amazing fighter.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I agree with DR2K, you know I was very much pissed off at KOFXII at first. But, having giving it a few months and playing it offline. I don't mind it, however I enjoyed KOFXI much more, hopefully the next KOF is total kick arse.

Biggest thing that needs work is the character lineup, move sets, and tweaks to the underlying gameplay. Also, for the love of good please let it have good online. I'm looking forward to NGBC. If the netcode is solid in that it is going to be a very good sign.

slade

Swittcher said:
Hey, might as well post this in here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApmhJQftyg4

I loved those OVA's back when I was in high school. Gotta thank you for posting that link though, it helped bring to a close a fifteen year search for me. After watching the video, I went looking for the song that plays during the first OVA's King of Fighters tournament when Terry fights Richard Meyer. Found it on youtube and in the comments, I found the name of the song and singer. Too bad that she never produced a single for it. The OVA's the only place you can hear it.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
One thing that might work in SNK's favor on the sales and online front.

Instead of Ignition, I think Atlus is now their publisher over here. Atlus would probably insist on good netcode.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
2132408124_view.jpg

Probably the best game logo i ever seen. So damn hawt.

I cant stop thinking about KOF XIII, teh hype ! TEH HYPE!

arstal said:
One thing that might work in SNK's favor on the sales and online front.

Instead of Ignition, I think Atlus is now their publisher over here. Atlus would probably insist on good netcode.
Ok... time to PM some Atlus guy. :lol

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
GeoNeo said:
I agree with DR2K, you know I was very much pissed off at KOFXII at first. But, having giving it a few months and playing it offline. I don't mind it, however I enjoyed KOFXI much more, hopefully the next KOF is total kick arse.

Biggest thing that needs work is the character lineup, move sets, and tweaks to the underlying gameplay. Also, for the love of good please let it have good online. I'm looking forward to NGBC. If the netcode is solid in that it is going to be a very good sign.

NGBC was not very good- it was played competitively here for a while. It's rather imbalanced (Kim/Big), and a lot of things are just very clunky. It would have been a good Saturn game.

The one thing it got right was a very diverse cast, some real freaks.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
GeoNeo said:

KOFXI is my favorite KOF.
My most played are KOF97 and 99. ( I was at the arcades like 10 hours a day :lol )

GrayFoxPL

Fersis said:
2132408124_view.jpg

Probably the best game logo i ever seen. So damn hawt.

I cant stop thinking about KOF XIII, teh hype ! TEH HYPE!

Ok... time to PM some Atlus guy. :lol

Looks kind of different then classic one. They played too many Final Fantasy. :lol

XII was a solid fundation. Those who played it, know that the gameplay is good. I got some good ass kicking from gaffers here.

Apart of the obvious "more everything" they need to bring back different animations for close and far attacks. XII had good animation, but with cutting out close attacks they really went lazy.

In short list:
Leave Clash system.
Leave Block Counter
Work on ehhh what was that big counter called?
Close and far moves must be in.
Bring back SDM with additional flash.
Nerf Joe and Robert. :p:p

Apart of that, they can do whatever they want. Anything works for me.

Fersis said:
KOFXI is my favorite KOF.
My most played are KOF97 and 99. ( I was at the arcades like 10 hours a day :lol )

97 and 99 wow that weird as hell.

My most play is 98 for certain . Play 99 after 4 months we went back to 98. Still playing 98 to this day .
The people who play KOF with me play 98um 2002um and XI. Our arcade used to open for near 24 hours ,I remember when they close for 4 hrs used go home eat take bath then back to play more 98.

We play XII for 3 or 4 months but you only play beta for so long.

Fersis

gundamkyoukai said:
97 and 99 wow that weird as hell.

My most play is 98 for certain . Play 99 after 4 months we went back to 98. Still playing 98 to this day .
The people who play KOF with me play 98um 2002um and XI. Our arcade used to open for near 24 hours ,I remember when they close for 4 hrs used go home eat take bath then back to play more 98.

We play XII for 3 or 4 months but you only play beta for so long.
Well, i never saw an XI Arcade so...
I did played Neowave on Arcade.

GrayFoxPL

95 was the best and everyone who disagrees is just predictabo.

Those stages and music. So great.

If XIII includes Rocky from Robo army or Robo Maxima it'll be the best kof..

And sexist cloth ripping. Oh I need that back. More abuse.

Fersis

GrayFoxPL said:
96,97 and XI were the best and everyone who disagrees is just predictabo.

Those stages and music. So great.

If XIII includes Yamazaki or Vanessa it'll be the best kof.
I agree 100%!

orioto said:
So soon...
Same thing as XII with extra chars i guess..
KOF XII Core gameplay was nice, kind of different from previous KOF though.

GrayFoxPL said:
XII was a solid fundation. Those who played it, know that the gameplay is good.

Now this I can agree with. XII was the reboot as it were so it had to do more than refine the gameplay and add/remove characters which used to be KoF 's M.O every year. XII didn't have the luxury of evolving the Tag System or Striker Bombs. It had to come fresh and that's where I think a lot of the backlash came from. If you experience KoF enough you come to expect certain things and when XII didn't deliver on what people wanted or thought it needed then shit hit the fan. Didn't help that out of the gate that the netcode was shitty and that we all came to a realization that it wasn't a complete product by any means. XIII will be a great game based off what SNK can do after that first initial crack at it. Take a look at 2003 and XI side by side and you'll see exactly what I'm getting at here. As long as the gameplay is right and we get a proper ending to the Tales of Ash then I'm satisfied.

Shadow780 said:

She'll get a new outfit unless they're still gonna stick to the Re:Birth theme. She'll probably go back to one of her Idol fits for XII. XIII needs alternate costumes. There are some special costume variations in XII for Raiden and Kensou though.

And I gotta ask. Did anybody buy the DLC for XII?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Fersis said:
I agree 100%!

Am I the only person who would rather have Rick over Vanessa?

Then again I have a Fatal Fury bias, usually my teams are all Fatal Fury chars, Chin, or Maxima.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
shidoshi said:
Or like leaving Chun Li out of Street Fighter III!

... oh, wait.

Wow, you are like the mirror-world me. I love Mai, but only if we're talking '98 or earlier. I cannot stand her from '99 on.

And I'm sure Street Fighter III suffered sales because of it on some level or other, if only because Chun Li is recognizable and the new characters were unfamiliar. Capcom ended up putting her back in there, anyway.

GrayFoxPL

ReXXXSoprano said:
Now this I can agree with. XII was the reboot as it were so it had to do more than refine the gameplay and add/remove characters which used to be KoF 's M.O every year. XII didn't have the luxury of evolving the Tag System or Striker Bombs. It had to come fresh and that's where I think a lot of the backlash came from. If you experience KoF enough you come to expect certain things and when XII didn't deliver on what people wanted or thought it needed then shit hit the fan. Didn't help that out of the gate that the netcode was shitty and that we all came to a realization that it wasn't a complete product by any means. XIII will be a great game based off what SNK can do after that first initial crack at it. Take a look at 2003 and XI side by side and you'll see exactly what I'm getting at here. As long as the gameplay is right and we get a proper ending to the Tales of Ash then I'm satisfied.

She'll get a new outfit unless they're still gonna stick to the Re:Birth theme. She'll probably go back to one of her Idol fits for XII. XIII needs alternate costumes. There are some special costume variations in XII for Raiden and Kensou though.

And I gotta ask. Did anybody buy the DLC for XII?

I didn't buy the music. It's just that, right? I'm not even sure if those tracks play during actual fights.

Btw. I hope they don't include tag. Not that it was bad in XI, but for me it made the fights too exausting. You had to memorise everything about 6 characters at once in a single non stop fight. I rather have old 3 on 3 at least it leaves some time to breathe between rounds.

I'm surprise we're getting another one. Let's hope we get MORE of everything. Like stages, moves and characters. KOF XII, was a very solid game, but it got boring very quick, thanks to the lack of stages and movelist to certain characters. I believe this KOF is the one. Not that BETA shit in that we payed for in XII. I hope they get rid of those muddy ass colors to their character's. Because the character's look like they were fighting under the shade every time.

arstal said:
Am I the only person who would rather have Rick over Vanessa?

Then again I have a Fatal Fury bias, usually my teams are all Fatal Fury chars, Chin, or Maxima.

FUCK NO!!! Rick was supposed to be in '99 but got bumped for Xiangfei. Who ever decided that needs the shit slapped outta them. This in no way is hate for Vanessa but I love Rick in RB2 though. But I think originally there was supposed to be a Real Bout team with him Xiangfei and Alfred but it got scrapped very early in development. And then they decided to put Xiangfei in the game instead of him. But we have no clue what XIII brings to the table so who knows who SNK has up their sleeves for the roster this time around.

GrayFoxPL said:
I didn't buy the music. It's just that, right? I'm not even sure if those tracks play during actual fights.

Yeah. It's just music tracks. And they replace XII's OST for the most part.

The Classic Pack are Arranged themes from early KoF Games. I found the track list.

Select - Surging Selection (KOF 95)
VS. Screen - Win (KOF 95)
Win Screen - Win (KOF 96)
New Challenger - Win (KOF 97)
Stadium 1 - Esaka? (KOF 96)
China - Seoul Road (KOF 96)
Russia - London March (Real Bout Fatal Fury Special)
France - Rumbling on the CIty (KOF 96)
Egypt - Desert Requiem - (KOF 95)
Stadium 2 - Showdown R&D (KOF 94)

They have a Dance, Hard Rock and Jazz ones as well. I wouldn't dare pay for additional music but I did see that somebody ripped it so I might give some of these a listen and it might convince me to do otherwise.

Ater KoFXII bombed. I thought SNK would leave it alone for at least another year or two before another sequel. Everyone I know who bought KoFXII was disappointed. It looked beautiful but the online lag plus no mai was a major bummer. :( Only reason I'm kinda interested is because Terry Bogard is such a badass.

Frankfurt

Banned
UC1 said:
I doubt that. They would've made the sprites in very high res then reduced them when putting them into the game. There's not really anything stopping them from using higher res sprites.

There is the fact sprites are made pixel by píxel in their actual resolution.

This is not SSF2HDR.

If we believe what Nona and Kukino said, the sprites in XII took four times longer than usual due to having twice the resolution. That means that, if they were 720p, they would still be animating, and wouldn't even have half the cast for XII done.

GrayFoxPL said:
Apart of the obvious "more everything" they need to bring back different animations for close and far attacks. XII had good animation, but with cutting out close attacks they really went lazy.

I think they did that due to CCs.

orioto

Good Art™
Fersis said:
KOF XII Core gameplay was nice, kind of different from previous KOF though.

I'll give you that, even i i couldn't really play it cause online was too shitty and my "fighter friend" wasn't there at this time -_- But the game was punchy and had a good rythm !

Now, i think Nona (is that him ??) killed the game. Colors everywhere that make some background not clear at all, background rich but.... blank... Too symmetric, too dense... It completely lacks the epic feeling fro past SNK fighters.

To make it short, for me, there was no mood in this, it was transparent..

Fersis

orioto said:
I'll give you that, even i i couldn't really play it cause online was too shitty and my "fighter friend" wasn't there at this time -_- But the game was punchy and had a good rythm !

Now, i think Nona (is that him ??) killed the game. Colors everywhere that make some background not clear at all, background rich but.... blank... Too symmetric, too dense... It completely lacks the epic feeling fro past SNK fighters.

I dont like Nona art style.
Hiroaki and Shinkiro FTMW!!!

We need that logo on high res to make some wallpapers!

GrayFoxPL

ReXXXSoprano said:
FUCK NO!!! Rick was supposed to be in '99 but got bumped for Xiangfei. Who ever decided that needs the shit slapped outta them. This in no way is hate for Vanessa but I love Rick in RB2 though. But I think originally there was supposed to be a Real Bout team with him Xiangfei and Alfred but it got scrapped very early in development. And then they decided to put Xiangfei in the game instead of him. But we have no clue what XIII brings to the table so who knows who SNK has up their sleeves for the roster this time around.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19971393&postcount=121

orioto said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't exactly like overall design he did. I must thank him for Ryu looking like from AOF1 but yeah, everything is too bland and lifeless. Backgrounds are awful. I know everyone and their mothers hate Falcoon, but at least he knew how to give some colour and controversy to the characters.

Fersis

GrayFoxPL said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19971393&postcount=121

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't exactly like overall design he did. I must thank him for Ryu looking like from AOF1 but yeah, everything is too bland and lifeless. Backgrounds are awful. I know everyone and their mothers hate Falcoon, but at least he knew how to give some colour and controversy to the characters.
Ok, thats offensive.

;)

GrayFoxPL said:

While that is pretty damning evidence of what you speak of I won't believe it until I see it. The only thing that is a guarantee off of that list is Dark Ash as a final boss. He's gonna give in to the Riot of the Blood and Kyo and Iori will destroy him and everything goes back to normal. And if you take a look at the logo it pretty much spoils the plot.

Fersis

McBradders said:
GAF saved me cash on XII.

Will GAF save me cash on XIII? Only SNKP can decide.
One letter makes a world of difference.

We can only hope they learned from the disaster that was KOF12, I still never got KOF12 as I'm waiting for it to reach it's real value of $20

Xpliskin

Seriously ?

The real KOF series stopped in 2000. Same thing for metal slug.
Same thing for SNK.

Everything after that was made by monkeys attached to a chain.

GrayFoxPL

ReXXXSoprano said:
Yeah. It's just music tracks. And they replace XII's OST for the most part.

The Classic Pack are Arranged themes from early KoF Games. I found the track list.

Select - Surging Selection (KOF 95)
VS. Screen - Win (KOF 95)
Win Screen - Win (KOF 96)
New Challenger - Win (KOF 97)
Stadium 1 - Esaka? (KOF 96)
China - Seoul Road (KOF 96)
Russia - London March (Real Bout Fatal Fury Special)
France - Rumbling on the CIty (KOF 96)
Egypt - Desert Requiem - (KOF 95)
Stadium 2 - Showdown R&D (KOF 94)

They have a Dance, Hard Rock and Jazz ones as well. I wouldn't dare pay for additional music but I did see that somebody ripped it so I might give some of these a listen and it might convince me to do otherwise.

If they play during fights I might bite.

This thread made me hyped for kof. I think I'll go and play XII, 2000 or 2002. :D

Why people like B. Jennet? Is that because she has boobs and is a pirate? I don't see anything interesting in her playstyle. Lin was awesome. I miss Lin.

Fersis

Xpliskin said:
Seriously ?

The real KOF series stopped in 2000. Same thing for metal slug.
Same thing for SNK.

Everything after that was made by monkeys attached to a chain.
You're missing XI,KOF98UM and 02UM .
Those are some fine games my friend.

Lyte Edge said:
Nope, sorry. Other XBLA fighters I have played do not have this problem. It's just the SNK games -regardless of console- that have had shitty online play all-around. I have been told by friends in Japan that there really isn't much of an issue with online play there, and I can believe it, since I was living there when FFS and SS2 were on XBLA. When I played other Japanese players, net play was buttery smooth. Perhaps this is a case of the developers not thinking enough about infrastructure elsewhere. Regardless, it's no excuse.

Sounds about right. America lags behind the world in terms of broadband DL/UL speeds; but it's one of the largest markets for online gaming and developers have found ways to program for it. Japan just needs to catch up.

ArcSystem Works has the Touch, they've got the Power. SNK and all other developers need to go prostrate themselves at the altar of ASW and pray for wisdom.

The thing is, they had new sprites for Ralf and Clark that were new versions of their '99+ sprites. They looked perfect. The hulking behemoths they changed them into just don't look right in-game.

I don't know. I like the old SNK look, but I dig the new look as well. It's the difference in style between SF2 and SFA IMO.

It took them too long to bring out '98 UM in the U.S. anyway. The Japanese version has (had?) online play, BTW. And it also came out on XBLA last year for $10 with online play. Unfortunately, the online pretty much still sucks overall. I can get a decent match every now and then -if I can actually find someone to play- but it's mostly pretty laggy.

To be fair, a ton of PS2 fighters had online play, and it got axed because of localization or wacky non-Western friendly implementation. A crying shame because the PS2 installed user base is massive and online play is always a feather in the cap of any game. Assuming it doesn't shit the bed. :p

It appears that 2002 UM is only coming out outside of Japan on XBLA. '98 UM was disappointing in that it got no enhancements and didn't even have the arranged music/3D backgrounds the PS2 port had, but I think 2002 UM will be different, since NeoGeo Battle Coliseum is getting enhanced for its XBLA release.

I don't understand why SNK doesn't also release these titles for PSN, however.

Yeah, some of the inconsistencies in what's available on XBLA and PSN continues to stick in my craw. Really wish Sony would try to keep the play field level. :\

As for the 3D backgrounds I don't miss them. I've always hated the shitty 3D backgrounds in later SNK fighter console releases and the Capcom Versus games. It doesn't meld seamlessly and looks fucking awful. Sort of like the Initial D anime and it's CGI car scenes. :X

Heezzi said:
They should've just made the game in 3d.

What would that have changed?

Keep sprites, or the elaborate techniques used behind the scenes to replicate sprite art, alive dammit!

Sprite haters need to be rounded up and exterminated for the betterment of mankind. >:|

tzare

c'mon SNKP, do it right this time, you did a nice job, just incomplete. New fighters (8 or more), more special movements, more stages and GGPO for online play.

Why fight it, thread bookmarked to see my reactions and emotions range from one extreme to another I suppose. I look forward to this and I wanted to express the same feelings of the new logo being quite stylish.

Top Bottom