• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Loona

Good to know the game made it to EVO again - one can never be too sure.

Still, it's weird how some people regard the game as anime-ish:

Btw, just thought I would update. I bought some of the SNK NeoGeo PC controllers and they are so awesome.

I can now hear and feel what kind of moves I am doing. Also... no more wonky dpad!

Shadow780

This has not been updated in so long, but go Shadow780! He has been doing really well in tourneys, and recently got 2nd at Winter Brawl!

Thanks, going to tourneys really helps improving my game and nerves (I still drop shits playing during tournaments tho), our community has grown in size too and always good to play new players from other states.

Loona

Btw, just thought I would update. I bought some of the SNK NeoGeo PC controllers and they are so awesome.

I can now hear and feel what kind of moves I am doing. Also... no more wonky dpad!

I had no idea such cnotrollers existed.... where can I find them?

I had no idea such cnotrollers existed.... where can I find them?

I got mine here.

Warning though, they seem to be having stocking problems as of late. So the delivery could take quite some time... (read more than a month).

I have also used the controllers for emulators.... they are pretty awesome.

Onemic

Why is it that it seems like the kofxiii scene has decreased, rather than increased ever since the release of xiii on Steam?

Someday I will have a decent computer so I can play this with you guys.

Your rig doesnt have to be that good to play xiii, unless you PC was built like 7+ years ago I doubt you wouldnt be able to play it.

Why is it that it seems like the kofxiii scene has decreased, rather than increased ever since the release of xiii on Steam?

Your rig doesnt have to be that good to play xiii, unless you PC was built like 7+ years ago I doubt you wouldnt be able to play it.

It's exactly that unfortunately. In better news, there's some high level KOF in Argentina with some special guest, Mysterio, I don't know who he is though.

http://www.twitch.tv/demkof

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Sorry to bump the thread with my weak shit questions, but now that the Steam version's been out for a while: which is the best version of the game, netcode aside? I'm more interested in having the best version for local play than anything.

ArjanN

Sorry to bump the thread with my weak shit questions, but now that the Steam version's been out for a while: which is the best version of the game, netcode aside? I'm more interested in having the best version for local play than anything.

Even without the online play most likely still the PC version.

Loona

The PC version covers the Climax arcade upades that didn't reach the consoles - not a huge difference, just small tweaks, but that makes it the most up to date version you can play at home.

stn

One of the reasons I'm mediocre at KOF is I'm not used to the short hopping mechanic. Any ideas how I can improve? I've been using Athena, Andy, and Kim, I get the general gist of how to play all of them (I have long history with fighters, I can generally pick any of them up and become average immediately).

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
One of the reasons I'm mediocre at KOF is I'm not used to the short hopping mechanic. Any ideas how I can improve? I've been using Athena, Andy, and Kim, I get the general gist of how to play all of them (I have long history with fighters, I can generally pick any of them up and become average immediately).
9 then immediately 3.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Kind of a late bump, but the EVO hype got to me and I finally bought this tonight. I've never played a KoF game, and wow am I impressed! I haven't enjoyed a fighting game this much since 3rd Strike! It just feels so good.

A few questions from a newbie...

• How active is the GAF community?
  • Any characters I should start out with to learn the basics with?
  • Not KoF specific, but any mid-tier sticks for PC that you guys suggest? Using the wired 360 controller right now...
  • Finally, where should I start? Just play arcade more for a while?
Thanks!

Kind of a late bump, but the EVO hype got to me and I finally bought this tonight. I've never played a KoF game, and wow am I impressed! I haven't enjoyed a fighting game this much since 3rd Strike! It just feels so good.

A few questions from a newbie...

• How active is the GAF community?
  • Any characters I should start out with to learn the basics with?
  • Not KoF specific, but any mid-tier sticks for PC that you guys suggest? Using the wired 360 controller right now...
  • Finally, where should I start? Just play arcade more for a while?
Thanks!

I don't think they are very active, but you can try asking for games in the fighting game weekly thread.

fatal fury team is an easy enough team.

I am a pad player so I don't know about sticks, all I know is that anything is better than the 360 pad.

I honestly would venture around with the cast and find a character that you would enjoy playing. Then once you are done with that, go on dreamcancel.com and learn a few combos in practice, then head online.

Squishy3

Don't know about mid-tier sticks, but EVO is around the corner and any company who makes and sells sticks will probably have coupon codes you can apply to get a discount on arcade sticks while EVO is going on. So keep an eye out for those.

Loona

For starter characters, coming from a SF backgroung, Robert can work nicely, as he has a bit of everything yet based on a FB/DP, although it might help to know which kinds of characters you prefer.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks guys - I'll pop into the fighting game thread for some stick suggestions and possible match/training help.

When it comes to characters I've enjoyed/mained in the past...Dudley and Q from 3rd Strike, and Balrog/Blanka/Juri from SF4. However, I like all sorts of characters and fight styles. The only stuff I DON'T like is super slow and heavy like Zangief and Iron Tager from Blazblue.

Last night, I was screwing around in Arcade Mode with Ralf/Athena/Elisabeth. Ralf was fun, Athena seemed like fun with her ability to teleport around, but I didn't really understand Elisabeth (I imagine she's fun just given what I toyed with, but I had no idea how to use her moves).

Loona

Thanks guys - I'll pop into the fighting game thread for some stick suggestions and possible match/training help.

When it comes to characters I've enjoyed/mained in the past...Dudley and Q from 3rd Strike, and Balrog/Blanka/Juri from SF4. However, I like all sorts of characters and fight styles. The only stuff I DON'T like is super slow and heavy like Zangief and Iron Tager from Blazblue.

Last night, I was screwing around in Arcade Mode with Ralf/Athena/Elisabeth. Ralf was fun, Athena seemed like fun with her ability to teleport around, but I didn't really understand Elisabeth (I imagine she's fun just given what I toyed with, but I had no idea how to use her moves).

Shen Woo might work well for you, maybe Kim too, possibly Maxima (he's on the heavier side of things, but not a grappler, more of a hard-hitter, and has decent autoguard on a few of his moves to make up for his speed).

Once unlocked (Arcade mode, follow the on-screen suggestions as often as possible - a character who you drive cancel with easily is recommended for when those come up), Saiki's teleports might also be fun to mess around with - he has more flexibility with his than Athena does. Duo Lon also has some limited teleporting, but his style is one of the more atypical ones.

Elisabeth isn't someone I use often - I tend to stick with her QCF+Ps, but she has an interesting bag of tricks like a counter special that teleports her behind the opponent, and a special dash that if EXed also EXes a special it's cancelled into.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The other thing I need to do is learn the terminology. In arcade mode, I was doing what it said because why not? But when it asked for a desperation move or a drive cancel, I was like, "NOPE!" Also, the difference between supers, neo-supers, and all these cancels...Confusing at first.

I think you nailed my NON-preference - grapplers. I can dig heavy, slower paced characters, but I'm not a fan of grapple type fighting.

As for your comments on Elisabeth, the moves I was doing last night were probably counter style moves - I was wondering why nothing was happening. I should have assumed that's what they were. She was still pretty fun, but I was having more fun with Athena and Ralf.

Loona

The other thing I need to do is learn the terminology. In arcade mode, I was doing what it said because why not? But when it asked for a desperation move or a drive cancel, I was like, "NOPE!" Also, the difference between supers, neo-supers, and all these cancels...Confusing at first.

* Desperation moves are supers - the game only asks for this when you have enough power bar for it

* Drive cancelling is cancelling a special into another special; a super cancel (not 100% sure that's the term the game uses) is a special into a super - the game only asks for it when you have at least 1 level of drive bar

* An EX version of a move is basically a version of it where you use 2 attack buttons instead of one at the cost of 1 level of power bar - another thing the game is likely to ask for - keep in mind, not all special or supers can be EXed, but the in-game move list marks them as such.

* NeoMAxes are "the big ones" - they require a full drive bar, or being in hyper drive (HD) mode (activated by weak kick and hard punch - not something I use due to my puny execution, but a staple of higher level play - those moments when character glow yellow and can perform long combos, as more moves can be cancelled at a much smaller cost); done "raw" they also require 3 power bars, but in HD mode they cost only 2, and end HD mode.

* I don't think arcade/story mode requests NeoMAX cancels, but those specifically require HD mode.

Basically, power bar for big(ger) moves, drive bar to cancel moves into other moves, and the biggest possible move (and combos) use both.

Generally my use of the drive bar is just for special-to-special cancels, since it fits my execution, and it's simple enough with some character to optimize their damage a bit - for exaple, Andy's Zaneiken (shoulder charge) into Shoryudan (uppercut special).

I think you nailed my NON-preference - grapplers. I can dig heavy, slower paced characters, but I'm not a fan of grapple type fighting.

It's pretty much my issue too - complex motions at a short range are something I'm not fully comfortable with - still, Clark's autoguard on his HCF+WK/B is a neat thing to mess around with on occasion.
Triggering autoguard on Maxima's Vapor Cannons is damn satisfying, so I'm rather glad he's less of a grappler than in previous games, his focus is more attuned to my preferences now.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks for that - makes sense! Cancels are tough to pull off for me with the 360 nub...I can do them sometimes, but I'm still not comfortable with their timing (battling the controller doesn't make life any easier). I've started reading about sticks and will be watching for EVO sales.

I'm excited to watch EVO this year since I actually will care about one of the games...Previous years, I've watched because the hype is real. But since KOF is a game I'm interested in, I'll hopefully be able to follow and see styles and characters that may interest me.

BadWolf

Thanks for that - makes sense! Cancels are tough to pull off for me with the 360 nub...I can do them sometimes, but I'm still not comfortable with their timing (battling the controller doesn't make life any easier). I've started reading about sticks and will be watching for EVO sales.

I'm excited to watch EVO this year since I actually will care about one of the games...Previous years, I've watched because the hype is real. But since KOF is a game I'm interested in, I'll hopefully be able to follow and see styles and characters that may interest me.

You don't have to do the cancels on point in KOFXIII by the way, if you do a motion for a special move and then hold the attack button down then the game remembers the motion for a few frames and activates it when it's possible.

So you can do a special move or super ahead of time and still have it drive cancel or super cancel properly as long as you hold the button down.

I love the concept of fighting games but I've only ever looked toward Street Fighter, which places a ridiculous amount of emphasis on frame-perfect timing. I can't even get a simple light-punch -> medium-punch two hit combo because of how insane the timing is in that game.

I'm thinking about jumping into KoF. Is this game as technically demanding as SF? I feel in SF it's must more about me wrestling with inputs that refuse to work for me rather than actually doing proper fighting.

BadWolf

I love the concept of fighting games but I've only ever looked toward Street Fighter, which places a ridiculous amount of emphasis on frame-perfect timing. I can't even get a simple light-punch -> medium-punch two hit combo because of how insane the timing is in that game.

I'm thinking about jumping into KoF. Is this game as technically demanding as SF? I feel in SF it's must more about me wrestling with inputs that refuse to work for me rather than actually doing proper fighting.

Those are links and KOFXIII has very little in the way of them. In fact you won't see them used in most high level matches even.

Those are links and KOFXIII has very little in the way of them. In fact you won't see them used in most high level matches even.

Neat. I got this game through PS+ on my PS3, so I'll probably mess around with it to see if I like how it feels before jumping into getting the PC version.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You don't have to do the cancels on point in KOFXIII by the way, if you do a motion for a special move and then hold the attack button down then the game remembers the motion for a few frames and activates it when it's possible.

So you can do a special move or super ahead of time and still have it drive cancel or super cancel properly as long as you hold the button down.

Fantastic - thanks. I'll keep that in mind and test the waters in practice mode tonight. Obviously it will require a WHOLE lot of practice to pull off in the heat of the moment, but understanding how it works will be nice.

stn

This game is quite strict. I've been playing fighters since the 90's and can play all of them above average. Yet I'm still having issues doing the neo max cancel with Kyo in the tutorial (my execution is my weakest point, plus I use the 360 d-pad which doesn't help). Great game, however. Though I do wish it had some more Fatal Fury characters like Krauser, Geese, etc...

Shadow780

Anybody going to EVO for this game? I'll try to get a room going for casuals when I land tomorrow. Last year even though the scene was bigger it was hard for casuals since there aren't enough setups.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Played a bit more yesterday and tried out some new characters.

• Shen Woo - I don't think I enjoyed him. I don't know what it was, but it just didn't feel right to me.
  • Kim - I had a few moments where I pulled off some crazy combos that involved supers (there was some cancelling involved, but I don't remember what kind of cancelling). He seems like he could be a LOT of fun if I were to spend time with him.
  • K' - Another fun character. The way his moves connect together is neat.
I think what I'm learning is that I could enjoy playing any of the characters given enough time. That's going to make picking characters to get good with a LOT harder, ha.

BadWolf

Yeah Shen Woo is a little different in that his special moves are mostly for combos and it is his normals, which are excellent, that you will be relying on mostly.

He's actually a pretty badass character (dat forward walk) and has really high damage output, even for very easy combos.

For example, standing HP, forward+LK, QCF+LK+HK (the ex version of the up punch), (then juggle with) two QCF+HK, punch super. This does almost 50% damage for 2 power bars and works anywhere on the screen.

Check out Luis Cha's Shen (one of the better one's in NA) and Tenkawa (the best in Japan and one of the best overall with Shen). Bala also used him really well in the grand finals at EVO2012 so you can check that out as well.

Marz

This game has always been a " would play if online wasn't horrible and if people in my scene played".

Am gonna stream monster this for Evo hardcore though.

Top Bottom