• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

stn

I've been doing some reading trying to figure out my team. I'm new to KOF but not fighters. So far, I'm thinking of using Andy, Athena, Hwa Jai, and Kim. A few questions...

1. Say I was going to use a combo of those characters. How would Hwa-Andy-Athena sound? I don't know much about constructing teams in KOF.

2. Is Andy safe on his shoulder dash (dieneken or whatever its called)?

3. Is Hwa Jai safe on his QCB+K special?

Got tons of stuff to figure out. Finally got used to short hops, now for the rest...

Onemic

Andy's shoulder dash is -6 or something I'm pretty sure. Oddly I still tend to see it used a lot in pressure strings by top players though.

ArjanN

I've been doing some reading trying to figure out my team. I'm new to KOF but not fighters. So far, I'm thinking of using Andy, Athena, Hwa Jai, and Kim. A few questions...

1. Say I was going to use a combo of those characters. How would Hwa-Andy-Athena sound? I don't know much about constructing teams in KOF.

Got tons of stuff to figure out. Finally got used to short hops, now for the rest...

I'm not sure team construction matters all that much, since there's no tag-ins or assists or anything.

1. I might go with Athena on point. She makes a great battery (meter-building) character up-front. I would make sure all your characters can operate well enough without meter, like they would be on point too, if you have some match-up preferences. 2nd and Anchor (3rd) placements, I think a lot of people would put Andy second and Hwa last, but depending on how you play them, it can go either way.

2. With Andy's Zaneiken, on block it's not totally safe. I think C version is the -6, and A version should be less. Most people I've fought, the move is unexpected enough where people don't react to punishing it easily.

3. According to this, Hwa's qcb.K (Dragon Kick) isn't safe. Safest version seems to be doing the B version in the air.

If you haven't checked them out, the wikis for XIII at SRK and Dream Cancel can be a big help. The frame data on Hwa came from DC.

stn

Thanks for all the info, folks. I took Hwa out and am still using Andy, Athena, King, Terry, and Kim. Going to see which of those three sticks. I'll probably use Athena, Andy, and King since they play easy. I don't have too much time to learn complicated characters, once I learn the KOF basics I'll just rely on my SF fundamentals to get me somewhere.

Thanks. :)

Thanks for all the info, folks. I took Hwa out and am still using Andy, Athena, King, Terry, and Kim. Going to see which of those three sticks. I'll probably use Athena, Andy, and King since they play easy. I don't have too much time to learn complicated characters, once I learn the KOF basics I'll just rely on my SF fundamentals to get me somewhere.

Thanks. :)

As long as you don't play it like SF (forgetting hops, guard-cancelling rolls and blowbacks, CD cancelling, etc.), you should have a lot of fun. Happy hunting.

stn

I'm gonna upload one of my matches just for the sake of showing where I'm at now. My team is Athena/Kim/Andy. I suppose I could easily switch Andy and Athena since they both don't rely on meter and are solid characters. I have read that Kim DOES need meter so I threw him in 2nd. Sounds good?

The way I'm playing Andy so far is with rolling, Street Fighter fireballing, and cr. lk confirmed into zieneken. I hit up trials and found out some of his other combos, seems like good stuff. With Athena and I'm just doing the basic fireball-uppercut patterns and slowly figuring out her moveset. What exactly is the point of her HCB+P move, the one that lifts you up? Is it just close-range?

As for Kim, I'm using cr. lk confirmed into hugitsu (or whatever), his F+HK as a string, and ginzu (or whatever) on wake-up. I also charge ginzu after hugitsu.

What am I missing so far? Thanks.

I'm gonna upload one of my matches just for the sake of showing where I'm at now. My team is Athena/Kim/Andy. I suppose I could easily switch Andy and Athena since they both don't rely on meter and are solid characters. I have read that Kim DOES need meter so I threw him in 2nd. Sounds good?

Kim is great with meter, but still good without it.

The way I'm playing Andy so far is with rolling, Street Fighter fireballing, and cr. lk confirmed into zieneken. I hit up trials and found out some of his other combos, seems like good stuff.

If you keep Andy, you might want to start practicing drive cancelling Zaneiken into Kuhadan (hcf.B), and immediately following up with BD to cancel the full motion for a reset. That's a big part of his style for extended combos.

With Athena and I'm just doing the basic fireball-uppercut patterns and slowly figuring out her moveset. What exactly is the point of her HCB+P move, the one that lifts you up? Is it just close-range?

Yes, it's her close-range command grab, good for juggling setups.

As for Kim, I'm using cr. lk confirmed into hugitsu (or whatever), his F+HK as a string, and ginzu (or whatever) on wake-up. I also charge ginzu after hugitsu.

Try out cr.B(lk), cr.B, st.B, f~f.A, qcb.B. That's his most common combo, especially when he's on point with little to no meter. You've got the right idea with Hienzan (d~u.K), so keep doing what you're doing there.

Hopefully these are some of the answers you were looking for.

Loona

I'd be there more consistently if they fixed the issues with the player data stats resetting - I used that on the console version to help me pick mains based on win ratios of using everyone a lot, and I'd like a reluable clean slate on the version with the better netcode - but it's frustrating if the game no longer keeps track between sessions.

stn

I found out last night that I've been running KOF on max using only 9% of my laptop's graphical power (I was saving battery). Game still manages to look great even though it uses sprites!

If anyone wants to play over Steam, PM me. I'm a KOF beginner but I'm very experienced at Street Fighter. Meaning I probably won't optimize anything but I'll still play "smart" by general standards.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
So seeing as this is on sale on Steam right now (and I know this has probably been answered a ton of times before), but how good is the netcode in the steam version?

Console was abysmal.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
So seeing as this is on sale on Steam right now (and I know this has probably been answered a ton of times before), but how good is the netcode in the steam version?

Console was abysmal.

leagues better than console. I'd say it's just slightly below or equal to SSF4AE from what I played.

I just wanted to tell you people mentioning that it's on sale that my wallet hates you
tumblr_mvmdj2VnXa1qhhv13o1_1280.png

My arcade finally got the Climax version, and now this. Guess now there's no more reason for me to not get back into this anymore...

Loona

It seems that the bug with the Player Data stats getting returned to zero everytime you start the game has been fixed with the update, although I saw no mention of it in the patch notes.
Joy! I can go back to the game and try every character repeatedly in player matches until I figure out who I get the greatest win ratio from and aim for that damn 10 wins in a row in ranked achievement.

Ok so how am I supposed to do the last part of Saiki's trial 9? No matter how much I try I just can't get the fucking air super to combo aftair the air b.B and always get the ground super instead at best :|

FYI next week Dream Cancel is having another online tournament for KOF XIII SE.

Details about it are here

And short notice, but later today we're having a Dream Dojo (practice/matchmaking/info) session for it at 4 pm EST (sorry for late notice).

Picked this game up during the flash sale and maaaaan am I rusty. I played the console version day 1 and then stopped for about a year when Skullgirls came out (mainly because of the netcode) and finally coming back to this feels so good ... except I've forgotten half the attributes of my characters movesets having come back. :p

Back on Dreamcancel to look up BnBs and such but the community on PC is so much tougher than it was on PSN, people breaking out fully optimized HD combos and making full use of their meter in every situation. My footsies based game has always been pretty weak as I mindless short hop my way to victory and now I'm getting blown up by people that actually know how to play the game on a fundamental level.

Back on console I played Kula, Andy, and Karate but jumping back on PC I think I might be most comfortable with Kula, Hwa, and like Benimaru or something. Any other GAFfers want to add me so we can get some matches in? Im not a complete newbie but a lot of my stuff is super simplistic at the moment as I learn to pick up the pieces of my game again.

Steam ID = DiscoShark

Celcius

°Temp. member
I've been having a blast. Hopefully this encourages more japanese devs to support the pc platform. Good to have Mai back :)

Astarte

This is a really fun game! I regret not dipping my feet into kof waters earlier.

EDIT:

steamcommunity.com/id/astarte

if you feel like beating up a newbie :y

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
OK, I went ahead and grabbed this sucker. I don't have many people on Steam yet; feel free to add me: KaiDracon same as here. (It's formatted Kai Dracon, dunno if the space is required.)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Are the ex characters in the steam version?

Yes. Highlight Iori, Kyo and press select/back/whatever for keyboard to get them.

Also playermatches are DEAD. No lobbies. Either they're filling completely (doubtful since I ran into the same person that promptly left to restart another lobby instead of waiting to see if connections would stabilize after the initial connection to the lobby) fast, or DEAD. I'm erring on the side of DEAD.

Deps

Picked this up on steam, if anyone wants to play or help me learn add me. I'm very new to KOF, but I'm pretty decent at Tekken/SF.

steamcommunity.com/id/pruneprune

BadWolf

My steam id is Diavlestein, if anyone wants to add me.

New to the PC version but not the game, played the console version some before.

Back on Dreamcancel to look up BnBs and such but the community on PC is so much tougher than it was on PSN, people breaking out fully optimized HD combos and making full use of their meter in every situation. My footsies based game has always been pretty weak as I mindless short hop my way to victory and now I'm getting blown up by people that actually know how to play the game on a fundamental level.

Meh, if they can't catch or hit you easily its still cool. Know your normals and your movement and you should do okay.

Also playermatches are DEAD. No lobbies. Either they're filling completely (doubtful since I ran into the same person that promptly left to restart another lobby instead of waiting to see if connections would stabilize after the initial connection to the lobby) fast, or DEAD. I'm erring on the side of DEAD.

Have you tried starting a room and just doing whatever else (surf the net etc.) while waiting for someone to join? That's what I used to do on PS3 and also did it yesterday on PC and played a whole bunch of people.

stn

Would be nice if someone could create a database in the OP with STEAM ID's. I'll post mine: STN HDR.

Picked this game up during the flash sale and maaaaan am I rusty. I played the console version day 1 and then stopped for about a year when Skullgirls came out (mainly because of the netcode) and finally coming back to this feels so good ... except I've forgotten half the attributes of my characters movesets having come back. :p

Back on console I played Kula, Andy, and Karate but jumping back on PC I think I might be most comfortable with Kula, Hwa, and like Benimaru or something. Any other GAFfers want to add me so we can get some matches in? Im not a complete newbie but a lot of my stuff is super simplistic at the moment as I learn to pick up the pieces of my game again.

Steam ID = DiscoShark
Our games yesterday were really solid. The netcode is definitely somewhere around the AE 2012 tier. Right now it seems like I'm only improving with Kula. It's gonna take a while until I figure out the right team...

Jinroh

It's too bad 2/3 of backgrounds suck though. Animated backgrounds full of dancing fat and stereoptyped people are getting old.

I much prefer the nature or quiet backgrounds, at least you can properly focus on what's actually happening during the fight.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
It's too bad 2/3 of backgrounds suck though. Animated backgrounds full of dancing fat and stereoptyped people are getting old.

I much prefer the nature or quiet backgrounds, at least you can properly focus on what's actually happening during the fight.

I love the backgrounds, but yeah they are getting pretty similar. Also, bring back that koF 97 style presentation.

But if anyone wants to add me, my steam id is the_anthem

I don't know why they never included an option to use just the arcade backgrounds or the more calm backgrounds made for the home release. Did you know they removed some sumo wrestlers from the Japan stage compared to the original arcade release?

Strangely they added the KOF XII backgrounds to the mobile release of this game. I really liked the stadium day/night and the original fatty French women with the orca whale doing tricks in the background.

Our games yesterday were really solid. The netcode is definitely somewhere around the AE 2012 tier. Right now it seems like I'm only improving with Kula. It's gonna take a while until I figure out the right team...

Yeah, absolutely. The netcode in this game is leaps and bounds above what it was on the console. Finding a "team" is less important in this game than others though, pick 3 characters that you feel the most comfortable with and go at it. If you like Kula's poke / zoning type game then you may want to look into Mai or King like I said before. King in particular has really easy Drive Cancels / HD combos so she makes for a really solid beginner character too.

I've added you guys, welcome to KOF Steam!

my steam ID is smiledk780

There's also a KOF13 tournament players group you guys can check out!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/KoF13Matchmaking

You blew me up! :p

Fun times and thanks again for the tips. I felt myself better dealing with Flame Iori near the end of the set but your neutral game is just leaps and bounds more competent than mine is right now. Especially impressed with the well placed jump ins and crossup setups. I'll be looking into finding more things I can punish the rekka strings with tonight. I guess the most jarring thing right now is not having something like Vs. style pushblocking mechanics to easily get people off of you, I think I just respect my opponents offense too much at the moment and am just not exploring what else I can use to get out of pressure situations outside of DP or guard cancel CD.

Top Bottom