• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Shadow780

You blew me up! :p

Fun times and thanks again for the tips. I felt myself better dealing with Flame Iori near the end of the set but your neutral game is just leaps and bounds more competent than mine is right now. Especially impressed with the well placed jump ins and crossup setups. I'll be looking into finding more things I can punish the rekka strings with tonight. I guess the most jarring thing right now is not having something like Vs. style pushblocking mechanics to easily get people off of you, I think I just respect my opponents offense too much at the moment and am just not exploring what else I can use to get out of pressure situations outside of DP or guard cancel CD.

ggs man. Yeah against rekka pressure you can either stuff it with long shorts like Kula's B, neutral regular jump to avoid the first hit, or backdash to establish your neutral game again. You can also punish the 2nd rekka with a lot of characters but sometime online timing is off so it's understandable if you didn't get the timing just yet.

Hell I can't block hop pressure properly too sometimes.

Keep playing and find groups here!

Is there anyone in Mexico/close to Mexico that wants to play?

Can't find any matches on ranked, and on player match the only people there have a 1 bar connection :/

Silky

Banned
tried running a set with Vocab today and the online connection keep going slower. Not drastically slow but definitely below 60. offline is fine, though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Have you tried starting a room and just doing whatever else (surf the net etc.) while waiting for someone to join? That's what I used to do on PS3 and also did it yesterday on PC and played a whole bunch of people.

Yes, and it takes a good ten minutes for people to join and they still have 1-2 bar connections. :/

I basically gave up, which is a shame because I bought the game on the "improved" netcode after getting the PS3 version because I was able to get 3-4 bar connections in the "closed beta" at the time. Then like a week after launch that entirely died and now I just get 1-2 bar connections if that after waiting 5-10 minutes in Player Match lobbies. :/

Either people are playing Ranked (which I can't care about in ANY fighting game) or the entire population nosedived. And since Steamcharts backs up the second one, I'm going to assume the game is pretty dead even with sales. :/

Shadow780

Yes, and it takes a good ten minutes for people to join and they still have 1-2 bar connections. :/

I basically gave up, which is a shame because I bought the game on the "improved" netcode after getting the PS3 version because I was able to get 3-4 bar connections in the "closed beta" at the time. Then like a week after launch that entirely died and now I just get 1-2 bar connections if that after waiting 5-10 minutes in Player Match lobbies. :/

Either people are playing Ranked (which I can't care about in ANY fighting game) or the entire population nosedived. And since Steamcharts backs up the second one, I'm going to assume the game is pretty dead even with sales. :/

I think a lot of people just play with their steam friends and steam group members, my KOF group constantly has members playing with one another.

anyone here in japan? i play often but i live in east chiba....

I am, if you feel like playing sometime. I'm solidshark51 on Steam.

tried running a set with Vocab today and the online connection keep going slower. Not drastically slow but definitely below 60. offline is fine, though.

A guy I usually fought on PS3 and now Steam tried something out where we'd play a small set in a room, exit out and reinvite. I don't think we always need to do it, but it did work that time. Hopefully it's something they're able to fix in another update.

Loona

Yuri, Kyo, Ralf and Raiden as well.

Still can't believe they went to the trouble of giving Yuri an alternate with a braided pony tail and gave Kyo his classic 94 costume.

Joe too, for tiger-pattern trunks, and Elisabeth for her XI outfit.

I'd pay for an alternate Garou skin for Terry, since they bothered with all of those for free.

Is there anyone in Mexico/close to Mexico that wants to play?

Can't find any matches on ranked, and on player match the only people there have a 1 bar connection :/

Same, though not from Mexico. The game's utterly derelict on PC it seems, kind of regretting the purchase now. I never really improve much from just CPU matches, so that's a bummer. You'd have thought the Steamsale would make at least something of an online community.

Yeah, absolutely. The netcode in this game is leaps and bounds above what it was on the console. Finding a "team" is less important in this game than others though, pick 3 characters that you feel the most comfortable with and go at it. If you like Kula's poke / zoning type game then you may want to look into Mai or King like I said before. King in particular has really easy Drive Cancels / HD combos so she makes for a really solid beginner character too.
Me and combos probably won't go well together in this game. Right now I'm liking Andy a lot, though. Kula is great for me in training mode, but I fall apart with her in a battle.

Same, though not from Mexico. The game's utterly derelict on PC it seems, kind of regretting the purchase now. I never really improve much from just CPU matches, so that's a bummer. You'd have thought the Steamsale would make at least something of an online community.

Feel free to hit up the people in this thread if you're looking for some matches, I haven't had any trouble finding any in that regard though I haven't done a ton of matches with randoms as of yet. I'm hearing ranked is the place to go for that though as player matches are looking pretty dead atm.

Me and combos probably won't go well together in this game. Right now I'm liking Andy a lot, though. Kula is great for me in training mode, but I fall apart with her in a battle.

One of the more useful things to play around with in training mode is the CPU set to jump after block. Great way to gauge how safe a special move or block string really is and to get a feel for whether or not you have the advantage after doing something.

Andy is great though, one of my fav. characters at the moment.

Feel free to hit up the people in this thread if you're looking for some matches, I haven't had any trouble finding any in that regard though I haven't done a ton of matches with randoms as of yet. I'm hearing ranked is the place to go for that though as player matches are looking pretty dead atm.

Player matches were yeah and ranked for me too, though maybe it's the time at which I tried too. And thanks I'll see about doing that later on, I think I need some more practice first though.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Some one replied and answered my question regarding the lack of a match spectating option. Bit of a bummer, but it leads me to my next question...can you at least download and watch replays of matches? From like a replay leaderboard or something?

Silky

Banned
Some one replied and answered my question regarding the lack of a match spectating option. Bit of a bummer, but it leads me to my next question...can you at least download and watch replays of matches? From like a replay leaderboard or something?

You can save and watch your own replays.

woah Jazz-ism lives in Japan? neat

NEO0MJ

Decided to pick it up on steam during the sale. Plan on playing with Takuma for now, Vice later.

I was wondering, are the console DLC characters unlockable in this game? I didn't see them at the store page.

Decided to pick it up on steam during the sale. Plan on playing with Takuma for now, Vice later.

I was wondering, are the console DLC characters unlockable in this game? I didn't see them at the store page.
Yes, just press select over the normal versions of the characters.

I bought the game a while back, but haven't tried the online yet. I'm up for trying some matches. East coast here, as well.

GGs. Terry is like frame trap city. My Iori is so ass, that I got bopped trying to go through some stuff and attempting command grabs against him. It also didn't help that I rarely converted off his sissy slaps. The internets hates claw Iori with a passion :(.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
GGs. Terry is like frame trap city. My Iori is so ass, that I got bopped trying to go through some stuff and attempting command grabs against him. It also didn't help that I rarely converted off his sissy slaps. The internets hates claw Iori with a passion :(.

The connection wasn't doing either of us any favors, but those were fun matches. Let me know if you want to play again. I have to look into changing ISPs or internet equipment because it's been off and on lately. Sick Benimaru. :)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Got this during the first flash sale. I've added a few folks from here, my steam ID is kaidracon

I'm on the east coast.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
So is the online solid for the PC version? Not only stability-wise, but are enough people playing to easily find a match?

Anyone eastcoast? My steamid is simsiriphanh. I haven't had too much luck on connections, lag is quite noticeable so far.

aaand I'm out. Maybe if I caught the flash sale, but not worth $14.99 for a game that can't even be played.

Jazz-ism

Banned
yes solidshark ggs appreciated. maybe with training partners i can finally start leveling up

i wish more of japan gaf would play? how many more of us are there?

yes solidshark ggs appreciated. maybe with training partners i can finally start leveling up

i wish more of japan gaf would play? how many more of us are there?

I'm honestly not sure how many Gaffers are in Japan, let alone play XIII SE. Hopefully that # will increase whatever it is now.

Just for awareness, for newer players who got their KOF XIII SE copies from the latest steam sale, Dream Cancel runs practice/info/matchmaking sessions on Saturdays called Dream Dojo. Anyone looking to get more into the game, you can check us out there.

Details

Loona

Speaking of awareness, shoryuken.com is running a poll on games of the year, and KoF XIII Steam Edition is in a couple of categories - did my part, even if it was the Team Ninja Twitter that brought it to my attention.

Picked this up on Steam the other day and I've been having a grand time. Despite living in Australia, I managed to find online matches pretty quickly and despite being a total KOF noob I managed to win 4/5.

Which brings me to my next question... who are the top tier characters in this game? Any tips for someone coming from a Street Fighter background?

Loona

Which brings me to my next question... who are the top tier characters in this game? Any tips for someone coming from a Street Fighter background?

I'm yet to see people agree on universal top tiers - different people squeeze efficiency differently from each character, and then there are factors like how more likely later characters in a team lineup are to have more bars to work with.

As for a SF background, a character like Robert should work well to transtition from a "shoto" mindset (though he has a few extra tools, here's a generally complete character options-wise), and Ash from Guile-ish, als with a few extra options which aren't as typical - it may be simpler to provide better tips if we know which characters you tend to gravitate to and why.

I'm yet to see people agree on universal top tiers - different people squeeze efficiency differently from each character, and then there are factors like how more likely later characters in a team lineup are to have more bars to work with.

As for a SF background, a character like Robert should work well to transtition from a "shoto" mindset (though he has a few extra tools, here's a generally complete character options-wise), and Ash from Guile-ish, als with a few extra options which aren't as typical - it may be simpler to provide better tips if we know which characters you tend to gravitate to and why.

Thanks for the tips!

I tend to be a shoto player. I'm not totally new to KOF, since I dabbled in CvS2 and good old Fatal Fury way back. I tend to like characters with a bit of speed.

I've mainly been playing with Kyo, but haven't decided who else to add to the roster.

I'd recommend Andy, Athena or Kensou more from a shoto perspective- Robert can be a bit slow.

Yeah, Andy seems pretty easy to get to grips with. I remember the Bogard bros from my Fatal Fury days!

I'll investigate Athena and Kensou... they are both new to me.

Loona

I tend to be a shoto player. I'm not totally new to KOF, since I dabbled in CvS2 and good old Fatal Fury way back. I tend to like characters with a bit of speed.

I've mainly been playing with Kyo, but haven't decided who else to add to the roster.

Athena and Andy should work out well - I tend to focus on them, EX Kyo and occasionally Saiki, if that helps.
Kim might be worth looking into as well, since his moves just flow well towards a fast aggressive approach IMO, and while Mr Karate doesn't have Takuma's projectile variety, he's speedier and has a few more shoto-ish tools; for a more complete projecte game can't go wrong with King, and Yuri's also got some interesting tools in that category.

stn

I've also come to KOF from a SF background. Hell, sometimes I forget that KOF isn't SF in the way I play (less jumping, more ground). I currently use Andy, Athena, and Kim. King is also a character I've tried and may insert her in the future. I'd like to use Joe but some of his execution requirements have been slightly difficult. Also, I've heard NESTS Kyo is very easy to pick up and play. Billy is also a character that is said to be easy to use, seems like he's all about using normals to poke (Rolento?). My impressions:

Andy - typical shoto, cr. low kick into zein eken is generally safe and an easy hit-confirm
Athena - intense zoner, REALLY fun to play. Just SYKO BAL and you'll be fine. :D
Kim - I've put in less time with him as opposed to the other two. Has good mobility and rushdown.
Terry - Rushdown character based on normals. I think he's meant for more intermediate players.

Eventually I'd want a team of Andy - Maxima - Athena/Kim. I'm gonna give Maxima an extended look sometime soon.

Really enjoying the game. Spent some time in training, online and arcade mode last night.

I managed to get soundly trashed online! hahaha. I need to train up.

KoF 98? You should be looking at GGPO

It's kind of hard to recommend "shotos" since even in SF4 there are big differences in play styles.

Saiki and K' are great fireball zoning characters with respectable DPs (and great abare). Their fireball pressure is very strong.

Yuri is SF4 Akuma with tits, she has an amazing vortex game with ambiguous cross-ups(she can cross up and then lands back on the other side) , a 1f command grab, a running command grab and a demon flip.
She has a decent zoning game as well with her fireballs, air fireballs and an angled anti air fireball(Saiki and K' also have these) along with a DP.

These are the best "shotos" in the game IMO.

Still waiting on my SNK Neo Geo controller from play asia.

No way will i get away with the 360 dpad whiel waiting... thing is almost 100% random when you try and do anything other than a quarter circle.

KAL2006

Banned
I really wish they'd announce King of Fighter 98UM and King of Fighter 2002UM. Both games were in the leaked database along with XIII. Hell to be honset all Taito Type X games should release on Steam, many people are able to pirate Taito Type X games as they are basically running on Windows. Games like Persona 4 Arena and BlazBlue: Chronophantasma could easily be ported without much effort.

Top Bottom