• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Asd202

Stealth segments in JRPGs are never good.

Except for the one in Shadow Hearts: Covenant.

RYrCM17.jpg

LMAO now I'm sad I never got to play this game.

What's the best way to get Mira in Trails of Cold Steel?

I'm up to Chp 3 Field Study and there's only been one Side Mission that gets you like 2000 mira. Is the only other way to get Mira is to sell Sepith Mass? Is this stuff used for anything else like crafting Orbs or is just to Exchange for Mira? Do I need it for anything else?

danthefan

What's the best way to get Mira in Trails of Cold Steel?

I'm up to Chp 3 Field Study and there's only been one Side Mission that gets you like 2000 mira. Is the only other way to get Mira is to sell Sepith Mass? Is this stuff used for anything else like crafting Orbs or is just to Exchange for Mira? Do I need it for anything else?

Disclaimer, I'm not as far as you in the game yet (still in Ch2), but there's nothing to use sepith mass for other than sell it and I've found fighting all the monsters on a map and selling it gives me plenty of Mira.

Erheller

Yeah, sepith mass is basically mira. There's no reason to not sell it all.

As for other ways of getting mira, you get some from missions and selling equipment. There's an exploit involving Elliot's cooking where you can get an unlimited amount of mira, but it's time-consuming.
On another note I think Falcom intentionally put those cooking exploits in CS and CS2

No. Sepith Mass is basically the game's in universe justification for enemies dropping currency.

Maaaan

That entire meeting with Queen Alecia was too real

And good. It's kind of funny how topical it is too, with Dunan more or less matching Donald Trump in terms of sheer incompetence.

That was one of those "this is why Trails writing is so damn mature and good" incidents. Not preachy, full of nuance and realism with a good message.

Damn I keep eyeing the Good Smile Estelle figma on Amazon.

I want it so bad but it's at least $70.

but it looks so good

It lacks a
NFpLOQu.png
face and
h2xcHlE.png
face for that special Estelle Factor. Absolutely mandatory for that price, really.

PK Gaming

That was one of those "this is why Trails writing is so damn mature and good" incidents. Not preachy, full of nuance and realism with a good message.

I really hate to admit it, but yeah, you're right. Keep in mind, I still love, love, love Cold Steel and I will defend that game forever, but TiTS absolutely has the stronger writing. I gotta wonder; who were the people responsible for the writing behind this game? It's hard to put into words, but the overall "style" of writing doesn't really exist in modern RPGs anymore.

I totally get where some of were coming from now, lol.

I really hate to admit it, but yeah, you're right. Keep in mind, I still love, love, love Cold Steel and I will defend that game forever, but TiTS absolutely has the stronger writing. I gotta wonder; who were the people responsible for the writing behind this game? It's hard to put into words, but the overall "style" of writing doesn't really exist in modern RPGs anymore.

I totally get where some of were coming from now, lol.

From what I've read from the CEO, (I need to hunt this down, maybe it was the CS3 reveal?), CS1 (which would be 1+2) was delayed and split up due to technical issues reguarding CS2's events and just getting to grips with the new full 3D design + PS3's fuckery design. They had other writers take on chunks of the games which had...repurcussions. It's one of the reasons I'm hoping CS3 is "OG" again like these earlier ones.

At least I hope I ain't misremembering this.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
But didn't the same thing happen with FC and SC? They were supposed to be one game but got split and padded out? SC in particular feels pretty padded to me.

But didn't the same thing happen with FC and SC? They were supposed to be one game but got split and padded out? SC in particular feels pretty padded to me.

I think SC had the benefit of the split feeling alot more natural.

There's a lot more content in Sen 1 than Sen 2 story wise, but it wouldn't have made sense to end the first game any place else

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
CS1 and CS2 definitely feel like they could be condensed into one game and have a lot of the fat trimmed off.

PK Gaming

From what I've read from the CEO, (I need to hunt this down, maybe it was the CS3 reveal?), CS1 (which would be 1+2) was delayed and split up due to technical issues reguarding CS2's events and just getting to grips with the new full 3D design + PS3's fuckery design. They had other writers take on chunks of the games which had...repurcussions. It's one of the reasons I'm hoping CS3 is "OG" again like these earlier ones.

At least I hope I ain't misremembering this.

I hope so too.

Again, i'm absolutely not condemning CS1/CS2 (and I never will), but there's something special about TiTS overall style. This homely, cartoon/anime hybrid that doesn't really under a particular style.

I'm afraid it might have been a product of its time though, heh.

cwistofu

It lacks a
NFpLOQu.png
face and
h2xcHlE.png
face for that special Estelle Factor. Absolutely mandatory for that price, really.
If it had the first face I would already own 5. My son doesn't need to eat every day...

After playing FE Heroes, I realized for a gacha game, playing in short amounts on my phone is a lot more convenient than having to dedicate time on a console (be it handheld or otherwise).

What I'm saying is... "AKATSUKI NO KISEKI FOR MOBILE WHEN?!"

I mean it's even coming out on the PS4, wtf.

I didn't cross-check in a long time, but I had this done before.

The list of Falcom staff credited with scenario and writing for the entirety of Trails from start-to-date:

VXackeA.png

Lead writer is bolded, Hisayoshi Takeiri, who's credited with scenario/script for the entire Trails series. He's also contributed to writing in some of the Ys games, such as Ys VI and Origins.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

The list of Falcom staff credited with scenario and writing for the entirety of Trails from start-to-date:

VXackeA.png

Lead writer is bolded, Hisayoshi Takeiri, who's credited with scenario/script for the entire Trails series. He's also contributed to writing in some of the Ys games, such as Ys VI and Origins.

Wow Zero and Ao having the most writers is something that immediately pops. Makes you wonder if this team profits from having more writers that can help carry the massive lore and interconnectiveness of its universe. Which to be fair more writers do not always make a better story but judging by the quality of Zero and the hearsay about Ao quality it makes me wonder.

Nvm I'm tired and my eyes tricked me CS2 has the same amount of writers as Zero. Maybe it still carries some validity in the case of Ao probably not.
What's the word on some of the writers that don't appear in CS/CSII? Did those leave or did they just work on other things within Falcom?

danthefan

So the orbment system in Cold Steel... Am I missing something or is it different/simplified from TiTS? In CS it looks like you equip an orbment, you get the associated art, and that's it?

No adding up a few red thingies and a few blue thingies and getting certain arts at the end?

MSMrRound

So the orbment system in Cold Steel... Am I missing something or is it different/simplified from TiTS? In CS it looks like you equip an orbment, you get the associated art, and that's it?

No adding up a few red thingies and a few blue thingies and getting certain arts at the end?

Yea, but unlocking slots gain you more SP and what's not. It took me a good while to get used to it as well.

flowsnake

Yes, and lines are strictly bad because they only add restrictions and have none of the benefits.

Sorry not sure what you mean, what restrictions are there?

Correct me if I'm wrong but some characters can only equip a Fire/Water/Earth/etc. quartz in certain slots. Some slots allow you to equip any quartz (I'm not sure if this is due to the main Art/Quartz you have equipped though) whereas others are locked to a certain element.

In the FC series you can link specific Elemental Arts/Quartz for bonuses I think?

Tonton

After playing FE Heroes, I realized for a gacha game, playing in short amounts on my phone is a lot more convenient than having to dedicate time on a console (be it handheld or otherwise).

What I'm saying is... "AKATSUKI NO KISEKI FOR MOBILE WHEN?!"

I mean it's even coming out on the PS4, wtf.

Isn't it on the Vita already?
I don't understand how it's different than on phone

tbf i never understood why this wasn't for mobile in the first place

Yes, and lines are strictly bad because they only add restrictions and have none of the benefits.

Pretty much. Multiple lines is now more beneficial since it allows users to stack hit bonuses.(you can have one per line)

It's flipped from Sora. In Sora having multiple lines limited your effectiveness as a caster. In Sen having a single line limits your versatility as a physical attacker

Isn't it on the Vita already?
I don't understand how it's different than on phone

tbf i never understood why this wasn't for mobile in the first place

Get out, Tonton.

But yeah, I don't carry around my Vita everywhere. Or anywhere.

Having it on my phone would at least convince me to play.

Baliis

It's originally a web browser game, yar? Couldn't we just open that with our phone? (I have no idea how it works)

It opens through Unity web player or whatever, so idk if there's anything like that on a phone. You're not like, clicking through web pages to play it though, it's in its own window outside the browser.

I'm kinda glad it isn't on phones though, between dicking around in Terra Battle and FE now, I'd hardly get anything done at work.

PK Gaming

VXackeA.png

Same lead writer across all those games? Goddamn. That explains some things, but it doesn't explain everything.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Absol

Sooo just finished Cold Steel 2. I went from finishing SC in early January to this. Now I have no idea what to do...

Sooo just finished Cold Steel 2. I went from finishing SC in early January to this. Now I have no idea what to do...

You could get the fan patch of nayuta for psp and try that out its not canon but it might help to ease you while we wait for sky 3rd chapter.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Dont go into Ao without zero.

Dispite it being two names the titles are connected

I think he meant play the Zero fan translation and then play Ao in Japanese.

But I'd guess that we would see an Ao fan translation or official announcement before someone just picking up Japanese now would be able to enjoy Ao, any option would be years off. The people now heading the Zero translation would know as well as anyone that the games are connected. I don't think I've seen a full commitment of "yes we're doing Ao too" but it's been mentioned that translation and hacking have been in the works behind the scenes, while they edit Zero.

Gu4n

I think he meant play the Zero fan translation and then play Ao in Japanese.

But I'd guess that we would see an Ao fan translation or official announcement before someone just picking up Japanese now would be able to enjoy Ao, any option would be years off. The people now heading the Zero translation would know as well as anyone that the games are connected. I don't think I've seen a full commitment of "yes we're doing Ao too" but it's been mentioned that translation and hacking have been in the works behind the scenes, while they edit Zero.
Last time I checked Ao was being translated by the same team that translated Zero. I occasionally get plot and terminology questions from that translator, but I'm not actually involved (apart from having translated the prologue).

And yes, never play Ao without Zero.

Gu4n

You are always welcome to contribute to the Kiseki Wiki. I greatly expanded Loewe's page with information from the Loewe Monogatari last weekend, so feel free to pick up where I left off (mid-FC).

neoemonk

I wonder how long you would have to study Japanese to play the games. After two years of college Spanish I felt reasonably comfortable with the language. I needed a lot more listening practice to interact with people but most of the grammar was there and I could get by with a dictionary. Japanese is a whole other beast though.

Jonnax

So I completed SC and FC.
Would ya'll recommend playing Cold Steel or waiting for Trail in the Sky 3?
I guess I wouldn't want spoilers for the 3rd game.

Thud

Well, I'm going to wait for 3rd. Not really for story reasons. As either angle would probably be fine. The combat is my primary reason and also being able to have "closure" with Liberl.

Nothing in Cold Steel spoils 3rd afaik.

At this point, might be better to just wait for 3rd though since combat/QoL-wise it might be a bit difficult to go back and obviously its better to consume the franchise in release order.

Top Bottom