• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Psxphile

Side note: I am a little annoyed that I got all the chests (I'm pretty damn sure I did) and steam is saying that it's 515/517
Feels like it might be the two chests just inside the entrance to Carnelia Tower. The default camera angle hides them from view so unless you're super diligent there's a good chance you'll run past without seeing them (possible you might've gotten them on the way out, though).

I4SqNPv.jpg

jonjonaug

It's a little more than just the quests, too. It's with huge lore dumps, as well. Yotaka and I both played FC when the game first came out in Japan in 2004. It took us until LAST YEAR to find a big piece of lore that actually caused us to want to flip tables, because no one ever thinks to go to the Grancel Cathedral at that one point in time in the game.

Out of curiosity, what was this?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Apparently the very last point you can visit it, unless that was for something else. But I either don't have a save, am missing what the actual "last" point is -
best I can tell, it's with Joshua/Zane/Olivier while the group assaulting the castle, anything after that seems to lock you into progressing
, or she's referring to something else.

Edit: Apparently it's this.

Could have sworn she mentioned something about visiting the church at the last possible point though, so maybe I'm crazy or she was referring to something else (maybe in SC).

Stuart444

Feels like it might be the two chests just inside the entrance to Carnelia Tower. The default camera angle hides them from view so unless you're super diligent there's a good chance you'll run past without seeing them (possible you might've gotten them on the way out, though).

Nope, got them.

I almost missed them but I saw them on the way out.

Thoraxes

Ok so I have finished Trails in the Sky SC (so basically, no clicking on spoiler tags/quoting this post unless you've beaten SC :p ).

First, playtime according to steam:

FC: 58 hours
SC: 84 hours

This is with me doing all side quests and as much as I could. even filled the fishing book which was fun.

Side note: I am a little annoyed that I got all the chests (I'm pretty damn sure I did) and steam is saying that it's 515/517

I certainly am looking forward to the 3rd now after
that ending with Kevin. Being the main character of the 3rd, I want to learn more about him. Of course I am also looking forward to all the lore stuff that is in the 3rd.
Fun connection between the end of SC and ending of CS
if you did the dance scene/conversation with Sara in CS, you find out she's from North Ambria, the place that was devastated by the Pillar of Salt, which seems to be connected to the weapon Kevin used at the end of SC.

Stuart444

Fun connection between the end of SC and ending of CS
if you did the dance scene/conversation with Sara in CS, you find out she's from North Ambria, the place that was devastated by the Pillar of Salt, which seems to be connected to the weapon Kevin used at the end of SC.

Really? Man, I'll have to check that out again. Been months since I completed/platinumed CS.

omgfloofy

Banned

Got it on the second try!

But you're also close on your other guess....

Apparently the very last point you can visit it, unless that was for something else. But I either don't have a save, am missing what the actual "last" point is -
best I can tell, it's with Joshua/Zane/Olivier while the group assaulting the castle, anything after that seems to lock you into progressing
, or she's referring to something else.

This is also an event in SC, too, though! So you're right on that one, too.

Kiseki is known for rewarding you with Lore if you go out of your way to do random stuff.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Sara connection scenes made me mad because they were at the expense of actual Class VII members.

Maybe one day I will see them all.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Nope, got them.

I almost missed them but I saw them on the way out.

From what I've heard, that achievement is bugged. There's also a bug that causes certain chests to be counted more than once on multiple playthroughs, though, so it's still possible to get the achievement.

zakujanai

Sara connection scenes made me mad because they were at the expense of actual Class VII members.

Maybe one day I will see them all.

I would swap every single person in class vii for Sara so they were fine by me. I liked the extra scene with her you get in Heimdallr, nice little reward for following her bonding scenes. I think I spent half of my tickets with her at the end too.

Erheller

I would swap every single person in class vii for Sara so they were fine by me. I liked the extra scene with her you get in Heimdallr, nice little reward for following her bonding scenes. I think I spent half of my tickets with her at the end too.

I spent every possible moment I could with Sara and ruined my chances of getting the platinum in two playthroughs.

No regrets.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Got it on the second try!

But you're also close on your other guess....

This is also an event in SC, too, though! So you're right on that one, too.

Kiseki is known for rewarding you with Lore if you go out of your way to do random stuff.

I'm not entirely crazy then. But I'm pretty sure I don't have a save file close to the SC one. The closest one I have without putting a lot of time into it didn't come up with anything terribly interesting.

Zero3K

Well, the open beta of Legend of Heroes: Trails of Dawn has started. But I can't sign on because there's a Japanese captcha system being used :(.

Zero3K

I got it running now. I just battled the first mob and used the main character's S-Craft for the first time. One thing I've noticed is that the audio doesn't properly loop like it does in the main games.

Gu4n

I capped the scene for you. Still had my saves thankfully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWDbROWJ83Q

As far as I know it's a relatively inconsequential thing, but i've not played anything other than the games released in English, so for all I know that connection could be important.
Yes, this is important. Thank you for sharing.

Also, in case people haven't done it, read the Carnelia book series and the Ring of Judgment manga in preparation for Cold Steel II.

Thoraxes

Well, have you played SC? The ending should give you an idea of why it's notable.

I mentioned it above in a spoilered post. I mean more along the lines of what the hell the significance of the Church is in the series, and the tools they use. Stuff i'm expecting to find out in Third to some extent. Sorry for any confusion, but I was being purposefully vague!

Thoraxes

Uploading more of those scenes now that I did Sara's, heh. I have save files that have all of them it seems. (Late game CS spoilers) Just did Laura's, Elise's, and Towa's.

I'd do all the ending scenes too, buuuuuuuut one of my saves is on Nightmare and that last fight on Nightmare can be... tedious.
You'll be collecting Gambler Jack -- and its direct sequel -- in Cold Steel II anyway.

Oh, the first Gambler Jack is also in CSII? I almost finished it in SC, but I was too late and missed a couple volumes. I knew the sequel would be in CSII, but had no idea about the first.

preta

I mentioned it above in a spoilered post. I mean more along the lines of what the hell the significance of the Church is in the series, and the tools they use. Stuff i'm expecting to find out in Third to some extent. Sorry for any confusion, but I was being purposefully vague!

If you're really curious, you could watch the relevant scene relating to North Ambria in 3rd, as translated by Gu4n and Floofy. It doesn't actually contain spoilers for anything else in 3rd, so knowledge of SC is all you really need.

So, what's supposed to be the significance of that Grancel Cathedral tidbit, assuming it's not a mistake leading to an involuntary discrepancy ?

Intuitively, I'd go with a real world analogy: Christianity as a set of beliefs and worship practices existed before the Church as an institution did, and it coalesced over several centuries. Typically, early churches were essentially refitted temples (there's still a number of them in Rome).
My point is that it wouldn't be that surprising that this large place of worship was built before the Septian Church was created, although I'm curious as to what the cathedral's purpose was back then, what religions existed in these early days, and how the Church grew out of that.

That's a nice, if subtle, bit of world building anyway. Thanks for pointing it out !

I'd do all the ending scenes too, buuuuuuuut one of my saves is on Nightmare and that last fight on Nightmare can be... tedious

No excuses the Trails gods demand more blood! :p

Thanks for the ones you uploaded haven't seen most of them. I meant to go back to cold steel for a level and rest of the endigs run but that probably won't happen now due to time.

Thoraxes

No excuses the Trails gods demand more blood! :p

Thanks for the ones you uploaded haven't seen most of them. I meant to go back to cold steel for a level and rest of the endigs run but that probably won't happen now due to time.
Never before did I learn how to become perfect at a boss fight till that one, haha.

And you're welcome! I think i'll go ahead and record/upload the rest of them when I get home from work tomorrow.

Stuart444

I capped the scene for you. Still had my saves thankfully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWDbROWJ83Q

As far as I know it's a relatively inconsequential thing, but i've not played anything other than the games released in English, so for all I know that connection could be important.

Thank you! I'm about to start a final playthrough of CS anyway (I'll be rushing it and stopping at a certain scenes I want to watch since much of the game is fresh enough still in my mind that I won't need to watch everything, just select things :p) but this saves me from having to pick her just for that scene.

So yeah, ty XD.

(also Gambler Jack is in CSII? Awesome!)

edit: I do wonder who we'll be playing in Calvard when we eventually get to it.

FC/SC: Bracers
3rd: Church guy
Zero/Ao: Police
CS/CSII: Military Academy students
Calvard: ???

just a thought I had.

I do wonder who we'll be playing in Calvard when we eventually get to it.

FC/SC: Bracers
3rd: Church guy
Zero/Ao: Police
CS/CSII: Military Academy students
Calvard: ???

just a thought I had.

Long shot, but I'd really like an active Jaeger member for Calvard. I get the impression that Calvard is the least stable government with a lot of riots and radical factions. A Jaeger Corps would bring an interesting perspective as well as have an excellent excuse to go all over the country.

Neoweee

Bold question:

Is it reasonable to play 3rd without having completed FC or SC?

FC is wildly too slow for me to get through, but I hear they sped things up as series continued. I like CS's Fast Forward (Battles and cutscenes). Both were absolutely vital for me enjoying the game as much as I did.

Famassu

Bold question:

FC is wildly too slow for me to get through, but I hear they sped things up as series continued. I like CS's Fast Forward (Battles and cutscenes). Both were absolutely vital for me enjoying the game as much as I did.
If you can't enjoy the combat/gameplay, read through these:

http://lparchive.org/The-Legend-of-Heroes-Trails-in-the-Sky/
http://lparchive.org/The-Legend-of-Heroes-Trails-in-the-Sky-SC/

To experience the story of both FC & SC. A surprisingly enjoyable read. It even links to the background music playing at any given moment (or at least some more important story stuff).

Gu4n

Bold question:

I think The 3rd allows you to skip S-Crafts, but that's the only Quality of Life improvement that comes to mind right now. Plus you'll be stuck with a bunch of characters you're expected to know running into fragments of world-building related to events you don't know, so no, I wouldn't recommend that.

Stuart444

I think The 3rd allows you to skip S-Crafts, but that's the only Quality of Life improvement that comes to mind right now.

That's still a big QoL improvement to me. Would be nice if there were more obviously but skipping S-Crafts you've seen a thousand times is good.

Can't wait for the 3rd! :D

omgfloofy

Banned
So, what's supposed to be the significance of that Grancel Cathedral tidbit, assuming it's not a mistake leading to an involuntary discrepancy ?

Intuitively, I'd go with a real world analogy: Christianity as a set of beliefs and worship practices existed before the Church as an institution did, and it coalesced over several centuries. Typically, early churches were essentially refitted temples (there's still a number of them in Rome).
My point is that it wouldn't be that surprising that this large place of worship was built before the Septian Church was created, although I'm curious as to what the cathedral's purpose was back then, what religions existed in these early days, and how the Church grew out of that.

That's a nice, if subtle, bit of world building anyway. Thanks for pointing it out !

FC Observation spoilers:
It's mostly due to the fact that we now have conflicting numbers everywhere, especially considering that the Septian Church themselves teach that the religion was formed in SE500 to bring the people out of the Dark Ages. If you go by the museum, it's hard to even find the icons of the church prior to that date- especially icons of Aidios. I don't think they were spotted until 700 or so?

Later games give you ideas of other religions that have existed- even the Cold Steel games, where Gaius is talking about how the people of the Nord Highlands revere the wind as part of their belief system, and you know that there's an old animistic (??) belief system that's been seemingly wiped out of Erebonia.

There's a bit more stuff that comes up in 3rd, re: the Septian Church that leads you to wonder about stuff, then they add a little more in Crossbell. I can give this info, but I'll only ask if you want to know it, since spoilers and stuff.

RRockman

Banned
I've been peeking in this thread here and there ever since I got Trails of Cold Steel. While I have been enjoying it, There are many, many, scenes and fights I really hated how the the developers decided to present them to us.

The most current example I'm thinking of is
the Laura and Fie vs Rean and Machias fight In Chap 4. This one had come out of left field and I had been favoring Fie in my Active party. This means my Larura was behind on equipment while only Mukuro-erm, I mean Fie was in good shape. Needless to say, I'm getting stomped. Initally I wanted to kill Machias because He could heal. As soon as I did, Rean was like lol S-Craft and killed us both at almost full health. So the next time I gun for Rean since Machias cant use a S-craft yet. My first turn I attacked Rean with Fie. The next turn Machias used petrfacation bullet and the match ended right there with both of them as statues. The Icing on the cake is that to me, this fight feels really unnecessary I really would have preferred playing the one one match between Laura and Fie rather than this needless rematch that isnt even following the same ciurcumstances as the exam.

Top Bottom