• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

SephLuis

Zero no Kiseki Chapter 1

Zero is my favorite game in the series so far (haven't played Cold Steel yet) and I am happy you are enjoying.

However, if you haven't already, play the 3rd first. It makes the setup for a few plot lines that are connected to Zero/Ao.

Nyoro SF

Zero no Kiseki Chapter 2 Preview Impression

Ilya just poked Rixia in the boob

At least I think she did, it's hard to tell from the pixels...

Yes, I'm enjoying the story very much hahaha. I'll post real impressions once I'm done with chapter 2.

Gu4n

I'm curious. What books are there in Zero and Ao? Because in CS1 and CS2 so far, there is one new book each and one reprint from FC/SC each. And iirc in FC you could also read an old book from one of the pre-Kiseki LoH games. So what's in Zero and Ao? Just brand new books? No reprint from previous games?
Two new ones. The Zero ones are about a Remiferian backalley doctor helping corrupted politicians for massive amounts of money. The Ao one is called Sunny Side Agnes, which takes places in Calvard. It's about a frustrated journalist called Edwin Arnolds.

Suddenly realized how weak class 7 as compared to even
the SSS team.
Class 7
Could barely Duvalie , while the SSS won against Duvalie who went all out in Ao unless i remember wrongly

:/

Shouta

Suddenly realized how weak class 7 as compared to even
the SSS team.
Class 7
Could barely Duvalie , while the SSS won against Duvalie who went all out in Ao unless i remember wrongly

:/

Ao is the second game in the series.. CS1/CS2 technically is the first right now. Even the heroes in Zero/Ao couldn't keep up with anyone in Zero, lol.

Thoraxes

So after seeing the ending, I am confused at what Cold Steel 3 would be about?

Probably stuff with (CS2 End Spoilers)
the annexation of Crossbell, fighting off Calvard, what the hell is Osborne really, what is Oroboros' retaliation going to be for Osborne taking over the Phantasmal Blaze plan (which presumably would garner the Sept-terrion of fire), will the Grandmaster show up, what exactly was the Shadow Trial why was it sealed in the first place and what else is going to show up as a result of the events @ the Infernal Tower, what are the giant knights like the one in Nord, what's up with Western Erebonia, aftermath of the war and shift in power balances in Erebonia, the rebuilding of the Bracer guild in Erebonia, what really happened to St. Sandlot, why is the Rose Door in Loengrin inactive (since it wasn't a shrine, was there a Divine Knight there once?), what happens to a Divine Knight after it's awakener dies,
and so much more. The few things I listed above are like only the tip of the iceberg in terms of things I can think of off the top of my head.

I imagine my questions will only grow exponentially after playing 3rd.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
the annexation of Crossbell, fighting off Calvard, what the hell is Osborne really, what is Oroboros' retaliation going to be for Osborne taking over the Phantasmal Blaze plan (which presumably would garner the Sept-terrion of fire), will the Grandmaster show up, what exactly was the Shadow Trial why was it sealed in the first place and what else is going to show up as a result of the events @ the Infernal Tower, what are the giant knights like the one in Nord, what's up with Western Erebonia, aftermath of the war and shift in power balances in Erebonia, the rebuilding of the Bracer guild in Erebonia, what really happened to St. Sandlot, why is the Rose Door in Loengrin inactive (since it wasn't a shrine, was there a Divine Knight there once?), what happens to a Divine Knight after it's awakener dies,
and so much more. The few things I listed above are like only the tip of the iceberg in terms of things I can think of off the top of my head.

CS2 certainly did raise a lot of questions, didn't it? Some more minor questions:
What happens to Ordine now that its Awakener is gone - does it get a new one? Why did Ouroboros want Valimar and Ordine to fight?

To answer one of those questions, Celine explicitly said that
there was indeed a Divine Knight in Lohengrin Castle once.

CS2 certainly did raise a lot of questions, didn't it? A more minor one:
What happens to Ordine now that its Awakener is gone - does it get a new one? Why did Ouroboros want Valimar and Ordine to fight?
Hopefully
Ordine doesn't die or something. What a waste of a voice actor if so.

Thoraxes

To answer one of those questions, Celine explicitly said that
there was indeed a Divine Knight in Lohengrin Castle once.

That's what I figured. I was wondering since
Dreichels piloted Valimar, what if Sandlot has/had one too? ... Being from that era and all. The whole thing about her not being dead and Zephyr trying to bring back the boss raise a hell of a lot of questions about presumably dead people being alive.

Like I mentioned, when an Awakener dies, what happens to their Divine Knight? Since the trial is necessary to pilot one (I presume anyways), do they get resealed and a new Awakener fights Loa Erebonius? Does it have to be recovered/resealed ala Valimar in the Old Schoolhouse by a Hexen Clan member to facilitate the system? What is the full system? Additionally, we only know for sure that Valimar and the Vermillion Apocalyspe/Testarossa have been active in a previous conflict, iirc.

I wanna know every bit and detail about these little and big things soooooo baaaaaaddddd.

CS2 certainly did raise a lot of questions, didn't it? A more minor one:

English language game spoilers
That's my big one. It involved raising Testarossa, The Ferrari Knight, playing a ton of factions against each other to recreate the Lion War, and very specifically NOT having awakener Cedric take the controls.

It's alot less...specific than Weissman's plan, though we do only know the set-up, not the goals.

Gu4n

That's what I figured. I was wondering since
Dreichels piloted Valimar, what if Sandlot has/had one too? ... Being from that era and all. The whole thing about her not being dead and Zephyr trying to bring back the boss raise a hell of a lot of questions about presumably dead people being alive.

Like I mentioned, when an Awakener dies, what happens to their Divine Knight? Since the trial is necessary to pilot one (I presume anyways), do they get resealed and a new Awakener fights Loa Erebonius? Does it have to be recovered/resealed ala Valimar in the Old Schoolhouse by a Hexen Clan member to facilitate the system? What is the full system? Additionally, we only know for sure that Valimar and the Vermillion Apocalyspe/Testarossa have been active in a previous conflict, iirc.

I wanna know every bit and detail about these little and big things soooooo baaaaaaddddd.
If you haven't already, make sure you give NG+ a spin for its exclusive quest. It delves much deeper into these matters and sets the stage for CS3.

Thoraxes

If you haven't already, make sure you give NG+ a spin for its exclusive quest. It delves much deeper into these matters and sets the stage for CS3.

I'm giving myself a little breathing room before my NG+ run, but i'm 100% going to be playing through it again by the end of this year for sure (will likely do platinum as well).

Glad to know that NG+ has some more answers for me and i'm looking forward to it!

CS1 endgame spoilers:
What the hell, apparently an entire's month of plot takes place offscreen? A vacation to Ymir? An audience with the Emperor? I'd rather play that than more drudging along in mines or doing MORE fetch quests.

duckroll

CS1 endgame spoilers:
What the hell, apparently an entire's month of plot takes place offscreen? A vacation to Ymir? An audience with the Emperor? I'd rather play that than more drudging along in mines or doing MORE fetch quests.

It's likely material they wrote, planned, and then had to cut later in development. It seems quite obvious that
the entire Ymir part at the very least was meant to have been part of the game. They included a Drama CD in the Japanese version, which XSEED has translated here: http://www.trailsofcoldsteel.com/cs2/memoirs1.html and it's pretty long. It would have been a mini-field study at Ymir, Towa would probably have been a playable character, and while fighting the boss Rean would have gotten his upgraded S-Craft. In fact, there are a bunch of events in the Drama CD which are directly referenced multiple times in Cold Steel 2, so it had to have been a major actual part of the game at some point.

Menthuss

I'm glad I started over on normal after failing to get through the prologue on hard. Made it much more doable. Everything outside the prologue is a lot easier but I'm fine with that.
Also, Estelle is still the best :D
I just finished chapter 2 of SC. The fight scene between
Cassius and Julia
was pretty badass and surprisingly well choreographed.

Btw, I've looked ahead a bit and saw that there are
chapters. Can anyone spoil me on how long SC keeps up the
"Ouroboros member experiments with Gospel shit, we come in to stop it and proceed to get wrecked by said member"
shtick? I mean, it's better than
having an actual hard-fought boss battle and at the end having them go "lol nice try" but it's still annoying to see every Ouroboros member just eclipse you in power.

Cqef

I've looked ahead a bit and saw that there are
chapters. Can anyone spoil me on how long SC keeps up the
"Ouroboros member experiments with Gospel shit, we come in to stop it and proceed to get wrecked by said member"
shtick?

Technically, the last one of those chapters is chapter 5. But chapter 5 doesn't feel too much like the previous chapters due to stuff.
Overall, those chapter are pretty slow-paced indeed, but they always end on a high and hype af note.

PK Gaming

FDjf1mw.png

Going from CS --- > TiTS has been an amusing experience so far. So many continuity nods and callbacks (callforwards?). Already immediately intrigued by Joshua's character since (CS1 stuff)
Sharon seems to know him?

Strega sneakers are basically the Zemurian equivalent of Air Jordans.

Squire

Banned
FDjf1mw.png

Going from CS --- > TiTS has been an amusing experience so far. So many continuity nods and callbacks (callforwards?). Already immediately intrigued by Joshua's character since (CS1 stuff)
Sharon seems to know him?

Strega sneakers are basically the Zemurian equivalent of Air Jordans.

Awesome little wrinkle in the fiction. You playing this on PC? Moonlight will be happy! ^_^/

Nose Master

Does CS get any better? I'm at
the town with different districts connected via tram
and it's just... Boring. I've started circle skipping all the dialogue outside of the main cs, and even some of those. They linger so long on plot points that were shit to begin with. Do you really need ten hours+ for
"he fell and touched my boob, I hate him!" And "I don't like this Jaeger because reasons!"
I don't think anything of consequence has happened in the plot at all, just awful anime tropes dragged out like a Family Guy punchline.

I loved Sky, and CS is bumming me out.

Nyoro SF

I have a simple question for all the Kiseki fiends out there.
I noticed that in my playthrough of Zero (in Japanese) that the monsters in Kiseki games are not called "monsters" using any traditional Japanese naming, but are instead given a unique name (魔獣) which essentially means "magic creatures" or "spirit beasts", etc.

I never noticed in my JP playthrough of CS2 because I was too busy combat-stomping everything to care about ingredients and recipes (which I'm paying attention to in Zero).

Does this have... any implications on the overall story or is it just a novelty thing to make your average field monster sound cooler? Monsters in Kiseki are kind of weird, they explode when you kill them either in a puff or a magical blast, they're "attracted to sepith" (they basically have sepith hanging off of them) which is already kind of suspicious due to what we know about how they interact with sepith veins (SC), and now they have a unique name which says that they are spawned from magic directly.

And when I played CS2 I don't even remember if there was a story justification for the cryptids appearing magically out of thin air. In b4 "it's magic I don't have to explain shit dot jay peg"

tl;dr got any fun story stuff about monsters from all this to talk about?

Playing in 4:3? For what purpose?

If he's playing on an old CRT monitor I'll give him a +1.

EDIT: +1 denied. But I do play some games windowed for convenience so I understand.

Aters

Does CS get any better? I'm at
the town with different districts connected via tram
and it's just... Boring. I've started circle skipping all the dialogue outside of the main cs, and even some of those. They linger so long on plot points that were shit to begin with. Do you really need ten hours+ for
"he fell and touched my boob, I hate him!" And "I don't like this Jaeger because reasons!"
I don't think anything of consequence has happened in the plot at all, just awful anime tropes dragged out like a Family Guy punchline.

I loved Sky, and CS is bumming me out.

It does in the very end, or maybe I should say in the sequel because they really are just one game separated in two (and stretched to 70 hrs each with bloat).

urfe

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but with the Trails of the Sky series, on Japan's PSN, FC and SC are now on sale.

Is there a preference between the PSP and Vita games? I have all the PSP games on PSplus, so whenever I have time to play them I'm thinking of just renewing my subscription, but if the Vita games are better, I may spend the money on them.

Taruranto

It's likely material they wrote, planned, and then had to cut later in development. It seems quite obvious that
the entire Ymir part at the very least was meant to have been part of the game. They included a Drama CD in the Japanese version, which XSEED has translated here: http://www.trailsofcoldsteel.com/cs2/memoirs1.html and it's pretty long. It would have been a mini-field study at Ymir, Towa would probably have been a playable character, and while fighting the boss Rean would have gotten his upgraded S-Craft. In fact, there are a bunch of events in the Drama CD which are directly referenced multiple times in Cold Steel 2, so it had to have been a major actual part of the game at some point.

On other hand, we never got to experience this scene:

In the audio drama "Returning Home," he decides to go for a soak in the hot springs during mixed bathing hours, only to walk on Alisa and Laura, who are under the mistaken impression that it's women-only hours. He gets a terrible beating before Alisa and Laura find out to their horror and shame that they're the ones in the wrong.

So it may have been a blessing in disguise.

Baliis

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but with the Trails of the Sky series, on Japan's PSN, FC and SC are now on sale.

Zero and Ao Evo are 50% off as well if anyone was curious. I forgot to pick then up last time they were, little over 5100yen for both.

PK Gaming

TiTS feels like a Saturday morning cartoon, and I mean that in the best way possible. A friend of mine described it as an extremely fun road trip and it totally applies (so far anyway).

erXAasj.png

(Battle objectives?)

And Estelle is...Estelle is amazing.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Sprites >>> 3D

rockyt

Noob question about the series because it seems interesting. Which game should I start at in order. Are they connected and is the a big High School setting. The High School setting is something I loath. The only series I able to tolerate it is the Persona series otherwise I have a hard time playing them.

preta

Noob question about the series because it seems interesting. Which game should I start at in order. Are they connected and is the a big High School setting. The High School setting is something I loath. The only series I able to tolerate it is the Persona series otherwise I have a hard time playing them.

Play them in the order of Sky FC > Sky SC > Sky 3rd (if it's out by then; coming Spring 2017) > Cold Steel > Cold Steel II.

The only game that has the high school setting is Cold Steel 1, and I thought it was handled very well.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Cold Steel 1 has a school setting. That's part of the reason I've put off playing it.

No reason not to start with the Trails in the Sky games, then Cold Steel.

Nyoro SF

TiTS: Hey here's a map
Me: Thanks
Me: Oh It's useless

Don't be like me, I didn't realize until halfway through FC that holding down SHIFT will tell you which direction the exits are... (at least I figured out that hitting V brings up the local map).

N9PBi7A.png
"Not everyone plays on keyboard!"

I just realized I have no idea what the controller buttons are for map direction and usage...

Korigama

If you were fine with it in Persona, then the same will likely be the case for Cold Steel, as there are similarities.

Nyoro SF

Zero no Kiseki Chapter 2:

Lloyd is amazing in this chapter. I'll write up a summary of the whole thing sometime next week but my god. His absolute sincerity makes him completely tone deaf which leads to amazing dialogue results. Even against villains. lmao

SephLuis

Zero no Kiseki Chapter 2:

Lloyd is amazing in this chapter. I'll write up a summary of the whole thing sometime next week but my god. His absolute sincerity makes him completely tone deaf which leads to amazing dialogue results. Even against villains. lmao

I initially thought he was a little boring as a character but I ended up liking him (in the end of Ao though). Randy and Tio are top tier characters though.

PK Gaming

Don't be like me, I didn't realize until halfway through FC that holding down SHIFT will tell you which direction the exits are... (at least I figured out that hitting V brings up the local map).

N9PBi7A.png
"Not everyone plays on keyboard!"

I just realized I have no idea what the controller buttons are for map direction and usage...

Thanks.

Also it must be nice being able to understand Japanese. I want to play the Crossbell games so bad after CS2...

Top Bottom