• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Dio

Banned
^Hah like your "choice" is going to make a difference in anything at all...

Who knows? Maybe Falcom is crazy enough to actually make it matter. I know we're conditioned to think that Alisa is going to be the OTP and all other romances will get trashed and we'll be railroaded, but you never know.

Waji

Im not sure what your expectations were but they were probably way too high fo such a small studio as Falcom.
No PS4 only and with a better character design ?
I don't think that's too high.

I played the whole series in Japanese and loved it but it's getting bad on some points.
And I see they're focusing exactly in that direction forgetting part of what was making this series great.
I actually liked the old games style better. The Evo versions especially.

Dio

Banned
No PS4 only and with a better character design ?
I don't think that's too high.

I played the whole series in Japanese and loved it but it's getting bad on some points.
And I see they're focusing exactly in that direction forgetting part of what was making this series great.
I actually liked the old games style better. The Evo versions especially.

You can't deny that they're grabbing a lot of new fans and making more money this way, at least. It pisses off the retro purists but at least they're staying alive in a floundering JP game market.

Waji

You can't deny that they're grabbing a lot of new fans and making more money this way, at least. It pisses off the retro purists but at least they're staying alive in a floundering JP game market.
Oh yes, they have to live, good for them if they succeed.I know it's a small company so I understand.

But after playing the Sen, YS VIII and Tokyo Xanadu, my fear about the writing and direction taken got bigger only to reach the highest with what I'm seeing here.
Well... I guess It won't matter if it's PS4 exclusive since I won't even be interested anymore. And if for whatever reason it gets better at some point, I'll wait for te time I grab whatever system that can play the few games I'm a little interested in and for the smallest price possible and that's it.

I'll get back to Ao and continue my translation/guide of it instead.

Gu4n

I'm glad it's a PS4 exclusive. One of the reasons Sen no Kiseki/II's development ran into problems was because of the Vita's capacities; and more recently, they had to scrap a lot of Dana's segments from Ys VIII also because of the Vita.

Even as someone who has played the four most recent installments on his Vita and loves the handheld to death, I'm really happy they stick to PS4 only since that's simply the best for the creative direction of the series.

Also, yes. Zero.

Eylos

Banned
I'm glad it's a PS4 exclusive. One of the reasons Sen no Kiseki/II's development ran into problems was because of the Vita's capacities; and more recently, they had to scrap a lot of Dana's segments from Ys VIII also because of the Vita.

Even as someone who has played the four most recent installments on his Vita and loves the handheld to death, I'm really happy they stick to PS4 only since that's simply the best for the creative direction of the series.

Also, yes. Zero.

<3<3<3<3

i would head pat you and omg (and the other guy) if i could

Yeah vita fans who vaue portability need to pray the switch becomes a viable home for ps4 ports otherwise portable jrpgs are gonna be stuck mostly on mobile &#9760;

Waji

Yeah vita fans who vaue portability need to pray the switch becomes a viable home for ps4 ports otherwise portable jrpgs are gonna be stuck mostly on mobile &#9760;
That's actually where I am right now.
And since I'm getting more and more critical about RPG, it's not even a problem anymore as I don't feel like missing any.
The only PS4 games I'd play are Gravity and Last Guardian, which are not RPG.

Atlus and Monolithsoft might be my last resort. And maybe "Enix", with DQ XI.
Wait and see.

Pretty happy about PS4 exclusive. CS1/2 were technical disasters and CS3 already looking like a giant improvement graphically. If the framerate is steady then its perfect. EDIT: Not to mention the near complete lack of quality console turn based games.

Still my biggest questions are up in the air. Will I get to close the loop by importing my save, and will I get redemption for these characters from that awful finale.

sora87

So, about some of these trophies in cold steel 1,
do they expect you to play the game like 8 times to get these bond trophies? Is there a trick for it?

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
do they expect you to play the game like 8 times to get these bond trophies? Is there a trick for it?

making a savefile right before the relevant section and then reloading and skipping(hold O) until the trophy pops up. You still need 2 playthrough I think to achieve the conditions for the character trophies to be available to begin with, unless you do repeats from further back.
Not sure about the exact number but I think it's 6-7 characters that you can fulfill the requirements for at the same time per playthrough(unless you take the all bonding events bonus for ng+).

Jolkien

There's a trick for it. Check the platinum guide at playstationtrophies. You need two playthrough, or a lot of save juggling.

You're meant to focus on a handful of characters each playthrough and then save right before the final event so you can reload the save after getting a trophy. Unless you really mess something up, you can get all the bonding trophies in 2 playthroughs.

vladisaac

Lukewarm feeling about the Cold Steel III news: I am really excited to see some stuff on the screenshots (some stuff being Crossbell and what it implies), but I'm still skeptical with the introduction of new characters.

First, the PS4 exclusive is a good move for the company, but I may have to be left behind if there isn't another viable platform.
After the end of the PSP era (which was my golden age of Falcom games), Falcom had been in a constant state of transition, with their inability to correctly match their ambitions with technical limitations: CSI+II being split into 2 games is the best example to illustrate this fact. Cold Steel III being on PS4 is a good step for the company, stability may be one important point they need the most right now. Maybe they will find a way to port it on Vita, like Azure Valkyria.

New characters? Again? It isn't like the cast wasn't big enough, how do they plan to fit the character development of all these character into one single game (assuming there won't be a Cold Steel IV, please Falcom)? My take on this question, and I don't like my hypothesis, would be to make to use of the good old Kiseki formula again: 1st half of the game introducing new characters and areas and 2nd half with all the good stuff going on (or in a 4th game oTL).

I still have one whole year to figure out how to get a PS4, find the time to play video games on it and I'll be good to go.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
New characters? Again? It isn't like the cast wasn't big enough, how do they plan to fit the character development of all these character into one single game?
To be honest CSIII doesn't need to deal with a lot of characters anymore.
CSI+II party spoilers
- Machias really doesn't need to be a party member at all. He had his arc, there was no indication in CSII that it's going to get much more interesting. His path in life is fairly set with him choosing politics(So the way he's going to grow is also fairly predictable). Really a cameo at most probably is enough.

- Jusis, very similar to Machias just entrenched in the Noble establishment.

- Elliot, he's going to pursue music living the dream and yes he too had his character arc allowing him to reach that point. So without introducing something new he too probably at most needs to be a cameo.

I think,
Fie(because of the Zephyr reveal maybe they're picking up on that storyline in CSIII)
Millium(Ironblood/Black workshop relation but then we have Altina in CSIII maybe fulfilling that role),
Laura(she never had a real arc for herself she was more part of other arcs),
are somewhat debatable.

Emma, Gaius are probably the ones that need to be there. Emma because of her plot position. Gaius cause he didn't have much of anything happen for/to him yet.

Sara and Alisa already being confirmed puts them out of the discussion in a way.

Oh fuck! Things just got interesting, just saw a new topic posted @ the translation project forum for Zero no Kiseki:

Aww yeah, this is exciting.

Given that the announcement and the small blurb selling the game says their new story will begin

...as opposed to stay tuned for the epic grand finale of the Sen no Kiseki story of Rean. There's also a huge lack of
Osborne
in the promo pics considering the end finale for the Erebonia chapter is going to be
Team good + church vs. Osborne + Oro

I'm still going by my prediction this is going to be a two part SC game like how CS1/2 was a two part FC game. CS3 will be the school part and setting up stuff, CS4 will be the epic finale a year later for the Erebonia chapter. If that ends up being the case hopefully CS3 will be a lot less boring than CS1 since the plot is moving. But yeah I can see all the crazy epic moments being saved for CS4 if they split it.

I mean, I've always felt like CS4 was a strong likelihood, but I don't think the lack of
Osborne
in the very first screenshots says much one way or another.

So far they've only shown like six characters who are going to be in the game, but there are definitely going to be plenty of other major characters.

Taruranto

To be fair, does it look any less like an LN adaptation even with Rean?

I mean, it does, but at least it feels like more efforts went into designing Rean.

CS2 is still very "LN-like", but it's certainly a huge step forward compared to CS1. Still no good when compared to Crossbell and especially TiTS, tho'.

Aeana

If you remove Read from that pic it looks like one of these low-effort LN adaptations that air every season.

Someone give Falcom a new character design please. ._. Why did they stop collaborating with Enami Katsumi after AO?
They stopped collaborating with him after Zero. All of the work on Ao was done by someone else to approximate his style. As for the reason why, I don't think we will ever know the real reason.

Voror

It's possible to make sense of CS I and II since the Erebonia games were meant to ease in new players, but if you are interested in the Sky games, then playing those on PC would be best. You'll have plenty of time to play them in order before a localized CS III ever happens (though of course, Zero and Ao would still be missing).

Thanks for clarifying. I thought about just doing the CS games out now that I have but would like to play those earlier entries first for the little additions you sort of get story wise from having that background. Even with Zero and Ao being missing.

Do Trails games ever go on sale on PC? Or did I already miss that period?

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for clarifying. I thought about just doing the CS games out now that I have but would like to play those earlier entries first for the little additions you sort of get story wise from having that background. Even with Zero and Ao being missing.

Do Trails games ever go on sale on PC? Or did I already miss that period?

The PC trails games go on sale regularly.
Usually with Sky FC being about 8(usually 16) euros and I thin SC being 18(usually 28) euros?

I think the upcoming steam winter sale is going to be a safe bet.
My tip would be to buy FC right at the beginning of the sale and play it enough to gauge whether you'll like these games.
If yes just buy SC right before the sale ends even if you haven't finished FC cause FC ends in a cliffhanger that makes you want to jump right into the next one.
The winter sale should be at least a week long but I believe probably more like 2 weeks. Should be enough time to get a feeling on FC.

sora87

You're meant to focus on a handful of characters each playthrough and then save right before the final event so you can reload the save after getting a trophy. Unless you really mess something up, you can get all the bonding trophies in 2 playthroughs.

Thanks for the responses everyone, so I should get Fie, Laura and Gaius' trophies at least this run as I'm concentrating on them the most.

Voror

The PC trails games go on sale regularly.
Usually with Sky FC being about 8(usually 16) euros and I thin SC being 18(usually 28) euros?

I think the upcoming steam winter sale is going to be a safe bet.

Ah good, I'll keep an eye on that then. Thanks!

Eylos

Banned
To be honest CSIII doesn't need to deal with a lot of characters anymore.
CSI+II party spoilers
- Machias really doesn't need to be a party member at all. He had his arc, there was no indication in CSII that it's going to get much more interesting. His path in life is fairly set with him choosing politics(So the way he's going to grow is also fairly predictable). Really a cameo at most probably is enough.

- Jusis, very similar to Machias just entrenched in the Noble establishment.

- Elliot, he's going to pursue music living the dream and yes he too had his character arc allowing him to reach that point. So without introducing something new he too probably at most needs to be a cameo.

I think,
Fie(because of the Zephyr reveal maybe they're picking up on that storyline in CSIII)
Millium(Ironblood/Black workshop relation but then we have Altina in CSIII maybe fulfilling that role),
Laura(she never had a real arc for herself she was more part of other arcs),
are somewhat debatable.

Emma, Gaius are probably the ones that need to be there. Emma because of her plot position. Gaius cause he didn't have much of anything happen for/to him yet.

Sara and Alisa already being confirmed puts them out of the discussion in a way.

i share the same opinion, we will see those characters as guests on a chapter or mission or only dialogue and quest giver

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
stop...stop...you're hurting me

Srsly what do you expect to get out of Elliot, Machius or Jusis hanging around another game. It's going to be awkward as shit, like a college person hanging around his highschool awkward. Without giving them anything new of value it will be like having 3 additional CSI/II Reans in your party. Their stories have finished at a good/decent point, where they don't need to be around a whole game. A guest appearance giving a quick update on where they're right now is going be more than enough.

Srsly what do you expect to get out of Elliot, Machius or Jusis hanging around another game. It's going to be awkward as shit, like a college person hanging around his highschool awkward. Without giving them anything new of value it's will be like having 3 additional CSI/II Reans in your party. Their stories have finished at a good point.

Some characters were almost at the point already in CS2. The whole cast really shouldn't return.

duckroll

I think Elliot, Machias, and Jusis would make for good target practice when Captain Claire teaches Rean how to "shoot his gun"... if you get what I mean... *wink wink*

(Actually I have no idea what I mean and I don't know where I am going with this. I will plead insanity! I'm sick! I have the flu! The fever has gotten to me!)

Srsly what do you expect to get out of Elliot, Machius or Jusis hanging around another game. It's going to be awkward as shit, like a college person hanging around his highschool awkward. Without giving them anything new of value it's will be like having 3 additional CSI/II Reans in your party. Their stories have finished at a good point.
nothing good was finished in CS2's finale.

But Machias at least
Is set up right now for a potential large drama with his Father being a supporter of Osborne. There is a lot that could go down if he opposes him, and unlike his father, Machias can fight.

Jusis also has opportunity, just less bluntly as Machias

Regardless, I just want the cockslap that was the finale of CS2 rectified before moving on to new characters. Cold Steel was these characters story, and it was left off at a completely hollow point.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I think Elliot, Machias, and Jusis would make for good target practice when Captain Claire teaches Rean how to "shoot his gun"... if you get what I mean... *wink wink*

(Actually I have no idea what I mean and I don't know where I am going with this. I will plead insanity! I'm sick! I have the flu! The fever has gotten to me!)

Trails of hot steel...
Now I feel dirty.

omgfloofy

Banned
i would head pat you and omg (and the other guy) if i could

mnsvW1R.gif

was that confirmed, that blows

Very very little has been confirmed. I've not read the Dengeki or Famitsu issues yet, so I don't have that to back anything up- all I have is what's from the press release, which is where I got this from in my article:

This title will, unsurprisingly, continue the story of not only the long-running ‘Kiseki’ series, but will also continue through the story taking place in Erebonia, though this time, it will be set in the year 1206. This game will feature a new story involving Rean, who is now being celebrated as the Ashen Chevalier, a national hero to the Erebonia Empire.

They stopped collaborating with him after Zero. All of the work on Ao was done by someone else to approximate his style. As for the reason why, I don't think we will ever know the real reason.

Enami Katsumi has done a couple of things, but nothing like a full game. He was confirmed as being the artist for Zero no Kiseki Evolution's cover, and did some of the special art for Ao no Kiseki, also.

Also, for people thinking that this is the only party- that is a silly assumption to think, and very much outside of the norm with Falcom. Especially considering the number of playable characters you had at the end of Trails of Cold Steel II. Even Zero no Kiseki and Trails in the Sky, both of which have the smallest number of playable characters, had more than just four.

People seem to be making too many assumptions and filling in the gaps where Falcom never said anything, and it's making this whole thing seem kind of ridiculous.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
People seem to be making too many assumptions and filling in the gaps where Falcom never said anything, and it's making this whole thing seem kind of ridiculous.

I think some assumptions are based of off how the Cold Steel games dealt so far with its super big cast of somewhat major characters. Which is not incredibly well(although I blame the bonding system :-x).
Each game had some of them sidelined hard. I don't think it's that ridiculous to raise concerns and musing over taken character slots and what it might mean for the chances of their favorite characters to finally get the story attention they want them to have.

Personally I'm not to worried because I feel like CSI+CSII covered enough ground that having two new characters that seem to be major honestly doesn't seem like a big deal at all, but obviously opinions seem to differ on that.

nothing good was finished in CS2's finale.

But Machias at least
Is set up right now for a potential large drama with his Father being a supporter of Osborne. There is a lot that could go down if he opposes him, and unlike his father, Machias can fight.

Jusis also has opportunity, just less bluntly as Machias

Regardless, I just want the cockslap that was the finale of CS2 rectified before moving on to new characters. Cold Steel was these characters story, and it was left off at a completely hollow point.
The reasons you cite don't really justify them being around the party for a significant amount of time at all. How is that conflict you mention going to profit from Machias traveling with the group. To me it sounds perfectly like a one quest and done thing at most. Your reason for Jusis is basically, well if they give him new stuff they totally could justify him being in the party and I don't think that's a good reason.

For both of them you really need to satisfy the "Where are they now?" thing.

All the other characters I cited seem like way higher priority wise from a story perspective.
Also let's be honest current Machias has probably grown enough that a conflict with his dad is not going be anything worth wasting too much time on. Class 7 learned it's not all black and white and how to stand for their beliefs. That's not a position of attitude where some major relationship shattering stuff happens. Like I said at most probably a quest to obtain something that would throw so much shade at Osborne that Machias dad himself would oppose him.

omgfloofy

Banned
I think some assumptions are based of off how the Cold Steel games dealt so far with its super big cast of somewhat major characters. Which is not incredibly well(although I blame the bonding system :-x).

I can argue that 3rd and its giant cast was actually handled pretty well, though. So large cast =/= OMGBAD, to be honest.

And I'll say it again. Trails in the Sky and Zero no Kiseki both have the smallest casts of playable characters and they're still at about 8. So why do we think Sen no Kiseki III is just going to have four, again?

I dont think anyone thinks that, its just varying wildly with assumptions like "Rean and a bunch of new students".

Which we also have a whole lot of nothing on. And Falcom's going to play coy with this info because Ys VIII is going to be coming first.

I can argue that 3rd and its giant cast was actually handled pretty well, though. So large cast =/= OMGBAD, to be honest.

And I'll say it again. Trails in the Sky and Zero no Kiseki both have the smallest casts of playable characters and they're still at about 8. So why do we think Sen no Kiseki III is just going to have four, again?

Who thinks that?

duckroll

Kondo said CS3 starts 1.5 years after the CS2 ending. That would put it at September 1206. Barring any delay, September should also be the release window for the game.

Lets be real here the whole cast of cs2 will be back and playable *cs2 finale spoilers*
Probably even Crow through whatever magic brought Osborne back
even if they are only playable for specific sections/chapters before the finale.

Top Bottom