• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Left Behind |OT|

Crossposting this from the OT since it'll get more attention here

Ashley Johnson (Ellie) posted a heartfelt blogpost about TLoU: "My Love Letter To "The Last Of Us"

Also, just finished watching the BAFTAs and congrats to ND for wiping the floor (again), deservedly so.

Troy Baker's speech for Ashley really brought the feels. He said something like 'where it wasn't him saving her but her saving him' and I got a random flashback of the game to when Joel offers to teach Ellie to play guitar sometime. ;_;

On Demand

Banned
Posting this from the other thread. Jachaos, it turned out you were right. wow. Andrew doubted it as if the idea was completely impossible. I joked around the idea but your thoughts made sense. When that certain part happened in the game i was like WTF? lol.

Spoilers for those who haven't played it yet.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97260467&postcount=76

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97263920&postcount=90

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97264160&postcount=91

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97266878&postcount=101

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97267124&postcount=104

jakomocha

Will reading The Last of Us: American Dreamsbefore Left Behind spoil any important parts of the DLC? I kind of want to experience the DLC fresh even though
the kiss
has already been spoiled to me and I'm wondering if the comic follows/spoils the events of the DLC at all. On second note, is the comic even worth buying and reading? I won't be getting the DLC for a while though, but it looks so good.

stryke

Will reading The Last of Us: American Dreamsbefore Left Behind spoil any important parts of the DLC? I kind of want to experience the DLC fresh even though
the kiss
has already been spoiled to me and I'm wondering if the comic follows/spoils the events of the DLC at all. On second note, is the comic even worth buying and reading? I won't be getting the DLC for a while though, but it looks so good.

Comic takes place before the events of the DLC.

-MD-

I finally got around to playing this even though I've owned it since release. It totally brought me right back into that world 9 months after the game came out like I never left.

Absolutely excellent and a pleasure to play through as well as being the best piece of DLC I've played for any game thus far.

I think I'll start my 2nd playthrough of TLOU now.

Kimosabae

Banned
I originally wasn't going to give my opinion on this because I'm more than weary of a lot of the hyperbole this game invites and I doubt I can articulate anything more substantially or add anything more of value than what's already been posted in this thread and others. Also, these following statements could be viewed as hyperbolic as well, thus, subtly transmogrifying me into the very monster I've openly denounced on several occasions

I will just say that the
critical kiss between Riley and Ellie
- and the moments leading into it - actually provided a gift: the gift of introspection and self-understanding. In that moment, I learned something about myself - and I can't say that's ever happened with a video game outside the fighting game genre.

How? My enthusiasm for their connection swelled so sufficiently that the
moment the two kissed
, I bellowed a loud and reverberating "YES!!" with the obligatory, associated fist-pump. I stared at the screen, trying to follow the subsequent events, while simultaneously pondering my reaction to this and why it was so powerful.

It wasn't because
it was just two girls kissing
in a big budget video game and I found this edgy (even though I do find it to be, somewhat, and that's cool too. Part of what made the moment powerful was the constant skepticism in my mind telling me they wouldn't go that far). It was because I truly, emotionally identified,
with the liberal notion of same-sex coupling.
And I hadn't realized this until that very moment. I had always defended the notion on a purely rational foundation. But here was an artistic event that showed me that I could be emotionally engaged with it too.
If you feel so emotionally connected to someone that you feel like you can't live without them who fucking cares what they're race, color, age, sex - whatever is? Love is love.

My eyes are watery as I type this. This game is SO special.

Sorry, I just had to get this out. Sorry if this is sappy or corny to some or whatever.

Vashetti

Banned
I originally wasn't going to give my opinion on this because I'm more than weary of a lot of the hyperbole this game invites and I doubt I can articulate anything more substantially or add anything more of value than what's already been posted in this thread and others. Also, these following statements could be viewed as hyperbolic as well, thus, subtly transmogrifying me into the very monster I've openly denounced on several occasions

I will just say that the
critical kiss between Riley and Ellie
- and the moments leading into it - actually provided a gift: the gift of introspection and self-understanding. In that moment, I learned something about myself - and I can't say that's ever happened with a video game outside the fighting game genre.

How? My enthusiasm for their connection swelled so sufficiently that the
moment the two kissed
, I bellowed a loud and reverberating "YES!!" with the obligatory, associated fist-pump. I stared at the screen, trying to follow the subsequent events, while simultaneously pondering my reaction to this and why it was so powerful.

It wasn't because
it was just two girls kissing
in a big budget video game and I found this edgy (even though I do find it to be, somewhat, and that's cool too. Part of what made the moment powerful was the constant skepticism in my mind telling me they wouldn't go that far). It was because I truly, emotionally identified,
with the liberal notion of same-sex coupling.
And I hadn't realized this until that very moment. I had always defended the notion on a purely rational foundation. But here was an artistic event that showed me that I could be emotionally engaged with it too.
If you feel so emotionally connected to someone that you feel like you can't live without them who fucking cares what they're race, color, age, sex - whatever is? Love is love.

My eyes are watery as I type this. This game SO special.

Sorry, I just had to get this out. Sorry if this sappy or corny to some or whatever.

I know what you mean about the need to fist-pump in the
kiss scene
. It's such a powerful moment, you want it to happen because you want Ellie to be happy.

Yeah, great post.

dc89

Just started playing this DLC! Awesome so far, even after months away the world and atmosphere has a distinct mix of being a little familiar yet new and interesting.

Wow.

I finally started this today and finished it about an hour ago. It was probably the best DLC I’ve ever played, and I’ve played quite a lot of DLC. In fact, I think I might have enjoyed this more than the actual game – probably because I didn’t have to play as Joel who I thought was a boring un-likable character. The chemistry between Ellie and Riley was really amazing. It was like watching two real characters and not two videogame characters interact. So natural...so good! All in all I thought this DLC was pretty much perfect in every way.

Dunkelgrau

Finished it now. Don't liked the original wery much, but this DLC, holy shit. It is truly made with love. Sadly a little bit short.

Massive spoiler:
So, the both girls will die, right? (Didn't remember the whole story of the original game very well.)

]blacky[;191980632 said:
Finished it now. Don't liked the original wery much, but this DLC, holy shit. It is truly made with love. Sadly a little bit short.

Massive spoiler:
So, the both girls will die, right? (Didn't remember the whole story of the original game very well.)
Did you even play the original? lol

]blacky[;192008145 said:
Sorry guys, my capacity for remembering is really bad. And I played TLOU already in 2013. Maybe I will check out some YouTube-Vids of the ending these days.
Or you could just run through the main game. It's loved by many for a lot of reasons and the ending alone won't really make sense for what Left Behind is all about. Put it on easy if you can't handle the encounters.

Dunkelgrau

Or you could just run through the main game. It's loved by many for a lot of reasons and the ending alone won't really make sense for what Left Behind is all about. Put it on easy if you can't handle the encounters.
Well, as I said, I didn't like it very much, as I finished it in 2013. And I really cannot understand why everyone loves the story that much. But maybe I will give it another try.

Top Bottom