• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Left Behind |OT|

-Winnie-

Such a cute/tragic story. I enjoyed this DLC immensely.

Really want a sequel now. With an adult Ellie as the main character.

I feel like a sequel could be amazing, but I don't want it within the next 5 years. Maybe at the tail end of this gen, to give us some time away from the world so that it'll be fresh again if it ever gets revisited. Also dat Naughty Dog tech would be insane by that time.

I'll be honest and probably go against the grain here. I loved the original Last of us campaign but this DLC just didn't do anything for me. I felt as though it was a bit short and a bit to closed off for my taste (compared to the main game). Fair to say I'll probably won't play this DLC again and Ill just continue my survivor run instead.

So my copy of The Last of Us trade paperback seems to be missing a page. It wasn't torn out nor are the pages stuck together. Unless it's meant to be a jarring transition. Looking further, it seems there's a another. A new page depicting a new scene with dialog unrelated to the last. Can someone help me out by comparing pages?

Page 5 after 'Chapter One', just after she says *very minor introductory spoiler*
"I can manage just fine on my own", it skips to a scene where she gets punched in the face.
Now I get that such segues exist in film, but it just continues on into dialog that seems odd without context from the missing scenes. So is this just poor scripting/sequencing or am I missing a page or two?

Cyberia

AMA on reddit live right now:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1ykno8/hi_were_neil_druckmann_creative_director_and/

BhB93OqCYAAqcLD.jpg:large

StuBurns

Banned
Someone ask them why they feel a TLoU PS4 port would be taxing their resources, instead of having it be outsourced to Bluepoint or whatnot?

Cyberia

What's the most exciting thing about the next generation of consoles for you and the rest of the team?

Bruce: dunno really - the DLC is on the PS3, so we haven't gotten a whole lot of time with the "next-next gen" hardware. But I'm excited about having more memory, until we use it all up again!

Neil on biggest challenge in approaching the creation of Left Behind: ''Not fucking up the original game.Basically making sure we create a story that can stand on its own while giving new insight to the original story. Also, getting the nuances of Ellie and Riley's relationship was really difficult -- took a lot of iterations that are probably invisible to the player..''

Bruce on the biggest challenge in making Left Behind: ''As always getting the story to flow with the gameplay was the most challenging part for me''

Neil: ''We always challenge ourselves to do something new. With Left Behind it was to see if we can tell a romantic love story. Going forward we'd want to explore something different (both in story and mechanics).''

Neil: ''Yes. We have a short making-of video that we'll release in the next couple of weeks.''

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Damn, I must have spent 40 minutes in the Halloween store.

New stuff just kept happening!!
Was pretty great. How long is that whole scene? I'm not even sure I covered all of it.

Just finished the DLC in one play, played on survivor (which was hard - I died about 20 times in some segments) overall took me about 3 hours. I was really looking forward to this - but looking back, I feel disappointed.

I gotta say while I really enjoyed TLOU, I felt Left Behind was a bit unnecessary and pointless. The whole part with getting the supplies for Joel felt like filler (in a 3 hours DLC!?) and just some excuse to insert action in between the goofing around with Ellie and her friend. It also gave ND a chance to reuse some of it's assets from the full game, so I guess it made for cheaper development.

I was surprised to see it ended when it did, as I was expecting to see something other than
we are bitten oh no! lol

I figured a better ending and a better DLC entirely would to be cut out the Joel fetch quest and have the infection towards halfway in the story. In TLOU Ellie says something along the lines of: "go out all poetic and shit, lose our minds together you know" - I thought that this DLC would follow Rileys demise and how Ellie is the one Left Behind time after time again, after being bitten they continue to live on, (like Ellie's mother said to in her note) to make it out further to see the world with the little time they have left. I would have liked to see Riley fighting both the infected outside and within herself.. and Ellie's journey back to the Quarantine zone when she realizes she's not getting sick - which would be a nice tie into TLOU.

On the positive, the voice acting and mocap are top notch. The graphics (aside from some rough looking water) were fantastic - ND really know how to push the PS3.

Gameplay wise, it was fine, the humans vs infected was fun - but even on survivor I found it way too easy.. just throw in a bottle, let them fight and kill the each other - then pick off the leftovers (try to edge it towards humans, as they don't require headshots and aren't one hit kill).

I felt like it was a missed opportunity for a pricey DLC.

As a side note I don't really care for the facebook stuff, it was cute but a bit distracting.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
. . . clearly they should just update your license.

Apparently they cant.

Or if that's too much trouble, credit his account with the $60 he paid.

And this apparently they dont want to because I already played the game. I was suggesting deleting my old one and giving me a gift code of the new version so I cant spend the money on something else. No go. I love you Sony, but this really sucks.

Cheers to you, Sony.

geomon

Just finished it, one sitting. Without giving anything away, Neil Druckmann is a damn good writer. He should probably be in Hollywood making millions of dollars but thankfully he's here giving us some of the best games I've played I've in my entire life.

Teknoman

Never got an answer for this back in the Uncharted days, but what would be the best audio setting for the Sony wireless headset (the first release, not the elites)?

tfur

Finally got to play it last night, and finished it in one sitting. I always use my pulse headset for their games.

It crazy how good their games look, feel, sound and play. So beautiful, intense and somber at the same time.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
You guys said in an interview with ign earlier in the month that you "got crashes IP back" that was a joke right? I couldn't really imagine ND making another crash game, I've seen so many rumors around and I'd appreciate if you would put this one to rest!

Every joke has some truth to it...
Except for that joke.

Son of a gun.

JJD

Man what a great DLC! It was short but still worth the 15 bucks IMO.

Loved the interaction between the girls...so sweet!

My only problem is with the ending
we should have seen how Ellie and Riley part ways, and if Ellie indeed does leave Riley behind when she realizes she isn't turning or if she kills Riley out of pity or necessity if attacked.
I felt like this undermined the ending since we don't know what happened, but still I'm glad I played it.

Man NG need to do a sequel to this game please! It's my favorite SP game of the whole last generation.

someday

Banned
I'm really glad they didn't show Riley turning. We already know what happens. Seeing Riley turn into a monster and/or Ellie killing her or running away from her in terror would have ruined the last couple of hours with them.

Also, it the comic book just one book or are there more?

Hubb

4 issues or 1 trade paperback depending on what your preference is. About 100 pages or so If I remember correctly.

Son of a bitch. I just
turned on the generator in the water-filled garage
but it won't let me go up the ladder! It just isn't giving me the prompt. Guess I'll quit and reload?

I'm really glad they didn't show Riley turning. We already know what happens. Seeing Riley turn into a monster and/or Ellie killing her or running away from her in terror would have ruined the last couple of hours with them.

Agreed. Ellie deserved a little bit of happiness and so do we as the players. I am glad that I don't have the image of a turned Riley in my head, but instead them agreeing to fight.
Ellie asking what option 3 was brought tears to my eyes. This game. Geez.

Just finished on survivor and picked up all the trophies.

Brick->knife got me through the game until the end, where I only had enough to craft a molotov. The last fight is crazy.

Thanks guys. Finally got the ladder to work, just kept approaching and jamming X and triangle until it decided to let me climb it :lol

I demand a
water gun
multiplayer mode.

Edit: I guess we're not tagging spoilers in here? God damn it. My fault for coming in though, I should know better. Or maybe we already knew certain things from the main game I had forgotten (or the comics I didn't read).

Ataraxia

Late to the party...but man was this good and worth the money imo. After TLOU I was content with the ending, but after finishing Left Behind I'm craving the original story more. I want to continue where TLOU left off. I never want this to end.

Ricker

Jesus,what the hell is up with the autosave in this again...I did a long part,(82% done)then I died, after using some molotovs and the explosives that I crafted,which is rare in this DLC and after,the auto save puts me back with all the ennemies back,infected and all but all my stuff gone...I have like 5 bullets left against about 10 guys...and they have the nerve to tell me that I can bring the game down to easy if I want...stopping for tonight,jesus...

geomon

Jesus,what the hell is up with the autosave in this again...I did a long part,(82% done)then I died, after using some molotovs and the explosives that I crafted,which is rare in this DLC and after,the auto save puts me back with all the ennemies back,infected and all but all my stuff gone...I have like 5 bullets left against about 10 guys...and they have the nerve to tell me that I can bring the game down to easy if I want...stopping for tonight,jesus...

I kind of had that happen on a replay. Picked up the rifle, got killed, spawned again with no rifle and no way to get it.

After replaying the DLC a few times to get all the trophies, gameplay spoiler of the last level:

The final sections of Ellie Vs Infected Vs Hunters are very interesting, a new level of sandbox is added, the final encounter in Survivor was extremely tense, and I had to play wait-and-bait with a clicker to lure him against a pair of hunters. Very fun and rewarding. I hope if we have a TLoU for PS4 they use more this.
Great DLC, very emotional, and IMO I expected a bit more of the ending. But very good overall.

Gurish

What a great DLC that was.
I know it's a cliche with this game but it's probably the best DLC I've played so far...

I want to do a survivor playthrough, i know most of the encounters are pretty easy but I'm afraid of the last fight with Ellie, it's one of the hardest encounters in this game, including the main campaign, i died on "hard" like 30 times there.

Any tips on how to tackle that fight on survivor when i have limited resources?

Don't forget that this encounter consists of 2 parts so i really need to be careful with my supply.

Mendax

I know it's a cliche with this game but it's probably the best DLC I've played so far...

I want to do a survivor playthrough, i know most of the encounters are pretty easy but I'm afraid of the last fight with Ellie, it's one of the hardest encounters in this game, including the main campaign, i died on "hard" like 30 times there.

Don't forget that this encounter consists of 2 parts so i really need to be careful with my supply.

in phase 1 keep moving (slowly!) and rely on the bow as much as you can, if out of arrows use the hunting rifle over distance for the final few kills. (i think there are new arrows on a bench or something near the door to joel)

In the second phase dont stay in the central area but either go up the stairs in one of the corners or camp a bit in one of the corners downstairs.

I did my first playthrough of this on survivor and afterwards a collectible run on easy, think I had a lot more trouble in the main campaign though (especially the tunnel and the hospital).

leng jai

Just finished this on survivor yesterday. Pacing is ridiculously slow as you'd expect but thankfully the dialogue and character interaction is typical Naughty Dog quality. Most people buying this DLC will know what they're getting into anyway. The game still looks insane even compared to current gen games. Seriously cannot wait to see what ND come up with on PS4.

It definitely leaves you wanting more even though you always knew it that the wrap up was coming.

First of all, if you want to have some leverage keep the few things you will be able to craft in the DLC (in my case a Molotov, a bomb and a smoke bomb) for that fight. And try also to keep a lot of arrows. Then in phase one exclusively use the bow and then in phase two use everything you got (and try to get a rifle ASAP). In my case worked decently going to the left corner (if you're looking straight to the door they are trying to break) and going up and down to play with the Hunters and the infected.

Gurish

Guys thanks for the tips but how can you pass phase one with arrows only?
There are lots of enemies to clear before i can interrupt the guys who tries to break the door.

There is just not enough time and they will manage to break it until i can get to them.

A rifle for second phase is pretty hard to come by, The guys with the rifles camp on the second floor.

I tried on the second phase to run immediately to the second floor many times but i died each time, they got me surrounded, it's a complete chaos in there.

I agree with the guy that said that the hospital from the main campaign was harder (i only finished it on "hard", didn't have the guts to try survivor), that's why i said this encounter is ONE of the hardest, not THE hardest ;P

Dead

well not really...yet
Finally played this. Took about 3 hours and a half.

I doubt anything I'm thinking hasn't been said already. Incredible additional chapter, not just for how it adds to the characters and the story of the game but for what it adds to the ending of the game itself. I don't know what else to say lol. It was just perfect.

Top Bottom