• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Left Behind |OT|

Is it just me or does this DLC look better than the main game graphically? I've been taking screenshots and it looks insane:

The environment is new and it has an indoor mall that looks spectacular because of the lighting. The main game is more about cities and abandoned houses. The DLC has highlights like the
halloween shop and carrousel

Closed environments and good use of the lighting does make it look better.

Closed environments and good use of the lighting does make it look better.

I remember when I first started playing The Last of Us, after the initial sequence with Joel and his daughter, finally getting to walk around the quarantine zone in Boston as Joel and being taken aback by how ugly everything looked. It was a knee-jerk reaction and I wanted that instant Naughty Dog gratification with gorgeous environments and visuals...

Then you play just a bit more, you get beyond the wall, you see the use of lighting and the overgrowth in the environments and the closed areas...yeah...game gets really damn gorgeous.

Nick

Just wanted to pop in here and say I just beat the original game just now. Wow. Now I understand the hype. I bought the game three days ago and I couldn't put it down. One of the best I've ever played. So many draw dropping moments. Buying Left Behind immediately.

That ending man...

It's a tremendous DLC. Great presentation and storytelling, but also
a lovely blend of playful interactions (throwing rocks at cars, playing an imaginary Mortal Kombat clone, having a a fight with water guns) and very serious combat scenarios in which Ellie has to fight her way to a medikit and back to Joel. Movie my ass.

rafaelr

i´ve been listening to the last of us vol.2 soundtrack on spotify (since it´s still not available on amazon.de...) and wow, so good. some of the songs take you right back to the great emotional moments of the game&dlc (all gone[reunion], the last of us [astray], fleeting for example). and the path[vacant]...damn...

Melchiah

This is why I loved TLoU and the DLC. There's more going on in what the characters don't say and do, which is a huuuuuuge step up from 99% of videogame storytelling. Like little hints of Joel's past with Tessa, why Joel cares so much about Ellie, Bill's relationships, and now here with Riley and Ellie.

It leaves room for multiple interpretations, which is what makes the characters so engrossing.

I couldn't agree more. Everything doesn't have to be shown, or explained to the smallest detail, and it's better to leave some things for the imagination.

EktorPR

This turned out to be another fantastic piece of software from Naughty Dog. Kudos to Bruce, Neil and the team/actors.

As to the
attraction aspect of Ellie and Riley's relationship, they're teenagers... It's completely believable. Their hormones are right where they need to be, and with those, the feeling of experimentation. I loved that they kissed before losing each other.

Anyone here order the DLC from Amazon and receive the bonuses they handed out? I think I only received the voucher for the game.

Not really a huge deal as I think it was for the comic book but whatever.

"Saying goodbye to such an oppressively bleak world shouldn’t be so difficult, you think. As you near the end, you’ll know – like Ellie and Riley, and perhaps even Neil Druckmann and Naughty Dog – that’s it’s the right time to move on, but at the same time you’ll wish you didn’t have to. It’s over too soon, then, but every moment of this masterful piece of DLC is one to be savoured."

Pretty much sums it up for me about the DLC.

I just got my code itself from Amazon. Didn't realize there was supposed to be a bonus.

They have this on the product page:
au3XPNS.png

taizuke

Any of you guys seen the Sidestep Boys poster in the DLC? Cause it looks very similar to this Backstreet Boys picture:

Backstreet-Boys-group-01.jpg

You'll see the poster in the last chapter (
video/record store
) of the DLC.

Had a good laugh when i saw it. Only Brian (middle) and Kevin (far left) are the ones that are on the poster.

Silurus

I remember when I first started playing The Last of Us, after the initial sequence with Joel and his daughter, finally getting to walk around the quarantine zone in Boston as Joel and being taken aback by how ugly everything looked. It was a knee-jerk reaction and I wanted that instant Naughty Dog gratification with gorgeous environments and visuals...

Then you play just a bit more, you get beyond the wall, you see the use of lighting and the overgrowth in the environments and the closed areas...yeah...game gets really damn gorgeous.

The QZ was pretty crappy graphically compared to the rest of the game.

Danielsan

Halfway through replaying the full game on survivor after craving for more after the DLC. God damn, this game still blows me away. I forgot how tense the hotel basement is, and the incredible scope of this game. Really enjoying all the little moments again, and walking around with two only two rifle bullets, a bottle and a Molotov while you know infected are all around is actually frightening.

I also think that with some extra anti aliasing, 1080p and a locked smooth 30fps this game would trounce most PS4 and Xbox One titles. It already looks that god damn good.

Multiplayer maps, upcoming multiplayer dlc, hats, and the documentary.

Hmmm. I don't play multiplayer at all. And I'm only borrowing the game from a friend. I think I'll be happier with the digital comic and $5. The season pass won't include any future form of single player dlc right? If that's so I'll go for the $15 version.

Hubb

No planned single player DLC and if it does come, the season pass most likely (99.99% chance) wont be part of it.

Kimosabae

Banned
I finally have time to sit and play this game and after numerous system/game updates this thing requires a 3hr download.

Modern gaming.

Who knows when I'll have time to play this again.

Did it take this long for everyone?

I finally have time to sit and play this game and after numerous system/game updates this thing requires a 3hr download.

Modern gaming.

Who knows when I'll have time to play this again.

Did it take this long for everyone?

You mean the DLC? that could hypothetically take that long, but nothing from the normal game should be remotely close to that.

Just beat the DLC on survivor.... almost a perfect add-on, I'd say. Combat was even more puzzle-like on survivor than the regular game, everything looked great, and the story..... well, obviously it was fantastic and somehow made the regular game's story even more meaningful. loved the ending credit music too.

ZeroRay

Awesome DLC. Some great combat scenarios, with the final one being fantastic.

The writing and acting combo is the best some of the very best in the medium. The pacing was sublime, and in a way, I think this DLC is what ND wanted UC3 to be.

ghibli99

Great DLC. Got all the trophies and played on Survivor, which compared to the main game, wasn't bad at all. Sublime writing, and of all the scenes, the
pun scene with that beautiful music that accompanied it
had me in tears. The whole thing elevated the main game. Expertly done.

I just finished it.

Jesus Christ that was one of the best DLCs I've ever played. They are experts at crafting emotionally powerful scenes from the littlest things. The scene
after the carousel dies
was so impactful despite the fact that the ONLY narrative was the
joke telling puns
and light banter. The scenery and music were perfect. That scene for me made the entire DLC worth it.

Also, near the end
water gun fight? HELL FUCKING YES.
. I was grinning like a damn idiot the whole time.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Really loved playing this game. If you treat it more like an adventure game, just exploring around the mall. But then when I beat it, and saw the trophies pop up, they somehow didn't get put onto my PSN profile? That's a wonky little glitch.

I sat down to play this properly a couple of nights ago, and it's just utterly fantastic. I'm 80% of the way though, and I'm now
making my way back through the Mall, tricking the Hunters and Infected into fighting each other
. I really like doing that and watching how the AI plays out. This has a lot more levity than the main game which I love; the relationship between Ellie and Riley is so well played out, the dialogue and voice acting is so good and there are lots of cute fun moments which have had me grinning like a big idiot, like when
Ellie's reading out jokes
or
playing the fighting game
. It's just so damn good - easily among the best DLC I've ever played. Makes me want to go back and play the main game again, and I'd forgotten how tense some of the horror sections can be, like when
Ellie goes into the flooded room with four Stalkers in
, and if you alert one of them all four become aware of your presence. Killing that first and then quickly preparing for the others was in itself bloody creepy.

I'll probably finish it tonight. I was at around 2 hours 20 minutes, so I should clock in around 3 hours in total. Outside Wipeout HD Fury I really can't think of another DLC that's this good and builds on the main game so aptly.

QaaQer

I just finished it.

Jesus Christ that was one of the best DLCs I've ever played. They are experts at crafting emotionally powerful scenes from the littlest things. The scene
after the carousel dies
was so impactful despite the fact that the ONLY narrative was the
joke telling puns
and light banter. The scenery and music were perfect. That scene for me made the entire DLC worth it.

Also, near the end
water gun fight? HELL FUCKING YES.
. I was grinning like a damn idiot the whole time.

I literally just finished it as well.

One of the finest gaming experiences I've had. Funny thing is, I wasn't a big fan of the actual game. It was all worth it though for the dlc, everything in that 3 hours worked for me.

And that was the first time facebook integration was actually cool and not a cheap way to get players to advertise games.

edit:
and one of the best kisses ever in a game, so real.

I literally just finished it as well.

One of the finest gaming experiences I've had. Funny thing is, I wasn't a big fan of the actual game. It was all worth it though for the dlc, everything in that 3 hours worked for me.

And that was the first time facebook integration was actually cool and not a cheap way to get players to advertise games.

edit: and one of the best kisses ever in a game, so real.

I'm not on Facebook, but that bit
in the photo booth
(assuming that's what you're talking about?) was great; the integration was actually natural and Ellie & Riley's comments about it were very amusing.

Little touches like that make me think Druckmann is the best writer working in the industry today. He can make dialogue from a pair of forty-something murderers, a heartbroken old man or giggling, playful teenage girls seem convincing. I wonder if they follow the script closely, or if some of the dialogue is made up by the actors.

Business

Little touches like that make me think Druckmann is the best writer working in the industry today. He can make dialogue from a pair of forty-something murderers, a heartbroken old man or giggling, playful teenage girls seem convincing. I wonder if they follow the script closely, or if some of the dialogue is made up by the actors.

Without downplaying Druckmann I think he stands out so much because the general level of dialoge and story telling in the industry is nothing but embarassing.

Krisprolls

Banned
The QZ was pretty crappy graphically compared to the rest of the game.

Yes, that was the only low point of the game in my opinion. It's still an instant classic but you have to wonder why this part is not as beautiful as the rest of the game. It makes some people say TLoU graphics aren't good, which is definitely false.

Danielsan

Without downplaying Druckmann I think he stands out so much because the general level of dialoge and story telling in the industry is nothing but embarassing.
This is definitely true. The industry has a long way to go still. Then again, going by shows like Dexter tv isn't doing so hot all the time either.

Still, I think Druckman is an excellent writer and director. Pretty much all of his characters are believable. Ellie, Joel and Riley especially. There was not in single point in Left Behind where I did not buy the interactions and dialogue between Ellie and Riley. Of course the amazing performances and animation play a big part as well.

Krisprolls

Banned
I just finished it for 3rd time ! Its the best story related DLC I ever played

I loved it too. I don't know how they do that but they perfectly nailed the way you can tell stories and bring emotions to games while keeping very good gameplay too... Naughty Dog does it once again.

QaaQer

I'm not on Facebook, but that bit
in the photo booth
(assuming that's what you're talking about?) was great; the integration was actually natural and Ellie & Riley's comments about it were very amusing.

Thats what I was talking about.

I also liked that, at some points in the game, if you hit square Ellie would
dance or act a little goofy, like in the Halloween shop
. I'm so glad I downloaded this.

I'm still trying to figure out why I liked the dlc so much more than the game. Usually I don't like
sad endings

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Just venting:

I bought Left Behind (and got it refunded by now), but couldnt reinstall my digital Tlou copy. After going through a million troubleshooting steps, the CS guy on the phone said that the old LoU versions on US PSN were replaced by a new one with a different license and every old license should have been updated, but mine might not have, which is the only possible reason for this.

I played LoU on release, and they cant refund it because its ages ago (understandably), however I still paid 60$ for a game I cant play anymore solely because of Sonys fault to not correctly update my license.

*throws $60 out of the window because thats so damn fun*

Just venting:

I bought Left Behind (and got it refunded by now), but couldnt reinstall my digital Tlou copy. After going through a million troubleshooting steps, the CS guy on the phone said that the old LoU versions on US PSN were replaced by a new one with a different license and every old license should have been updated, but mine might not have, which is the only possible reason for this.

I played LoU on release, and they cant refund it because its ages ago (understandably), however I still paid 60$ for a game I cant play anymore solely because of Sonys fault to not correctly update my license.

*throws $60 out of the window because thats so damn fun*

. . . clearly they should just update your license.

Top Bottom