• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

This guy is doing runs on Survivor with only brick/bottle and bow (no craft, no loot, no upgrade, no shiv, nothing). He done it. Now he's trying without any brick/bottle and a Single arrow

link is text in french. But still interesting how he bend the gameplay. Now he's looking at speedrun options

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Single arrow? I thought they broke randomly? Sometimes I could pick them up, sometimes I couldn't.

todahawk

I don't think they do. From what I learned they rarely break if you shoot them at the chest, neck, back, or front of the skull.

Yeah, I've noticed that. You've gotta be spot on with your hits or it'll break. Neck definitely. I nailed three neck shots in a row and they all stayed intact.

Yeah, I've noticed that. You've gotta be spot on with your hits or it'll break. Neck definitely. I nailed three neck shots in a row and they all stayed intact.

Yeah, I'd like to know if they actually take this into account (paging arne).

Also, most clickers will die if you shoot them at the chest/back with the bow so do that since it's a larger area to aim at. Well, unless those are clickers with kevlar jackets. They'll usually survive an arrow at the chest.

Single arrow? I thought they broke randomly? Sometimes I could pick them up, sometimes I couldn't.

Silent kill (critical hit) dont break arrow. They do break however on
colossus'
head as they rip armor plate leaving his head naked and therefore weak to the next attack

edit : spoiler tag, maybe I spoiled Astroturfing. Sorry if I did.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

That is so hard for me... Joel's weapon sway on the bow is pretty extreme, and the way infected bob about, it makes for some tense shots with a certain element of luck to them. I can usually get two kills out of an arrow, but I've only played on hard and survivor, don't know if it's different on the other difficulties.

I've certainly had plenty of arrows break on good OHK stealth shots. Even to the head. So I think on harder difficulties, arrows eventually break no matter their placement.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Guys, I have an issue. The game doesn't play a movie after I
escape with Ellie and Bill
. I run into the building and all I see is a black screen.

What is it?

todahawk

That is so hard for me... Joel's weapon sway on the bow is pretty extreme, and the way infected bob about, it makes for some tense shots with a certain element of luck to them. I can usually get two kills out of an arrow, but I've only played on hard and survivor, don't know if it's different on the other difficulties.

I've certainly had plenty of arrows break on good OHK stealth shots. Even to the head. So I think on harder difficulties, arrows eventually break no matter their placement.

That was on new game plus for me that I started experimenting with the bow more. I thought head shots would give me the arrows back 100% but that hasn't been the case.

I don't know if front or back of the head matters but neck has been 100% that I've noticed.

Yeah, sway is a bitch and i'm not (actually yes) looking forward to the intensity of survivor and making the same shots count... Almost to Bill's Town.

I do love the nuances of the bow though.

This guy is doing runs on Survivor with only brick/bottle and bow (no craft, no loot, no upgrade, no shiv, nothing). He done it. Now he's trying without any brick/bottle and a Single arrow

link is text in french. But still interesting how he bend the gameplay. Now he's looking at speedrun options
DAMN. Dude needs to put that shit up on YouTube... curious to see how he'd do it. He must've found the sweet spots if he's trying with one arrow... that or reloading if it breaks but that seems nuts.

Keep going. Report back when your farther

Kept going, and now I'm running into enemies being spawned in out of nowhere, and others being activated when I cross invisible lines. And it just made me redo 10 minutes of scavenging because it didn't feel like setting up a checkpoint at the extremely obvious moment that spawns a bunch of dudes for you to deal with.

Production values are off the charts, but wow ... I don't know what to say about the rest of it.

Kept going, and now I'm running into enemies being spawned in out of nowhere, and others being activated when I cross invisible lines. And it just made me redo 10 minutes of scavenging because it didn't feel like setting up a checkpoint at the extremely obvious moment that spawns a bunch of dudes for you to deal with.

Production values are off the charts, but wow ... I don't know what to say about the rest of it.

Your still at the
school
right? That's the only part I can think of that has a wave of enemies. As to the rest of your problems I don't know what to tell you I can't relate with any of that.

Your still at the
school
right? That's the only part I can think of that has a wave of enemies. As to the rest of your problems I don't know what to tell you I can't relate with any of that.

Now in the
Hotel, ended my last session in the flooded section.

Anyway it's not on you of course. I just hadn't heard anything about this sort of stuff prior to playing and was wondering if I had missed others experiencing these problems.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
LowEndTorque said:
It's too bad you have to beat the game to unlock survivor. Survivor is the way TLoU is meant to be played. Wish I could have done my first play through on it.

I still think survivor restricts your tactics too much. The funny thing to me is that playing in the stealth-heavy style it forces on you actually makes the game easier in many instances. Yes, getting spotted at times makes you hit the "restart encounter" button more, but the effect is to make you just refine the order in which you do things until you get through without a scratch.

Similarly, contrary to the claims that it makes it more immersive, I've actual found playing in this deliberate and methodical way to make it feel more game-like. Especially as it forces you to pay more attention to systemy stuff like where and when your health gets auto-restored and how the way you dispatch foes effects the things they drop.

Try playing in an aggressive, noisy, style on hard+. Now that to me is the most exciting way to play.

Maybe I just went lucky, but I definitely killed about 8 infected with 2 arrows last night. I play on hard.

V_Ben

Banned
Just finished the game. Absolutely fantastic. Perhaps would have wanted less combat, more exploration, but what a fantastically told story.

RoKKeR

Damn, whoever said the end of
Fall
belongs in the video game hall of fame was spot on. What an incredible sequence. Just as impactful as it was the first time.

All the final moments before a new season cut pretty deep; Sam & Henry, Joel falling, Baby-Girl...

So true, it's all incredibly well done.

OG Kush

52% of way through the game and Im assuming im still in summer as I haven't seen a screen saying a new season or anything.
Also hard is the same as survivor right? Apart from it has listen mode and buttons promts on by default? As in the low amount of loot is the same?

one85x

52% of way through the game and Im assuming im still in summer as I haven't seen a screen saying a new season or anything.
Also hard is the same as survivor right? Apart from it has listen mode and buttons promts on by default? As in the low amount of loot is the same?
Fewer crafting items (especially blades and binding) and fewer bricks and bottles. Pills and gears remain the same though. There's also no item shimmer.

Finished this game without getting it spoiled. I would not have thought that I would get attached to these characters like I did with Nathan Drake and Sully. What a game. ND have earned their moniker of Naughty Gods.

Winkle

Dont know if this is old news but Ive just noticed there is an update for the Sony Elite Pulse headset manager, The Last of Us sound setting is now available to upload to your headset.
Nice ;)

hackdog

Banned
Just finished it.
Oh the feels.

I'm not sure if it's game of the year or generation but it is the most powerful and emotional ending I've seen to a game.

gamma

Guys I just got home after I got the game. I'm about to start, is there anything you should do for an optimal experience? I read you should play on hard not normal, is there anything else?

Evolved1

Guys I just got home after I got the game. I'm about to start, is there anything you should do for an optimal experience? I read you should play on hard not normal, is there anything else?

Don't use listen mode. Imo, that's a huge one.

Also, avoid threads on TLoU they are full of inconsiderate spoilers lately.

edit: If you are not so good at games, hard might be a tall order. I played on hard and thought it should have been called normal, but it's still pretty damn tricky in some spots. But no matter the difficulty, I really think LM is bad for the game. Imo.

iNvid02

try not to use listen mode, play on hard if you can, adjust the picture and audio settings for brightness and 5.1 audio etc

i played in a dark-ish room and it felt like it added something to the experience

RPGCrazied

I liked listen mode. Gives a strategy element to the game. Without it you can't see where anything is.

Normal difficulty felt just right for me.

mattp

quick question
i started the game on normal and switched over to hard a few hours in, so when i beat the game i only got the trophy for normal. if i go back and play whatever chapters in the beginning i only did on normal, and switch it to hard, can i get the trophy? or do i need to play an entire new game over again?
if so, i dont really care that much haha

quick question
i started the game on normal and switched over to hard a few hours in, so when i beat the game i only got the trophy for normal. if i go back and play whatever chapters in the beginning i only did on normal, and switch it to hard, can i get the trophy? or do i need to play an entire new game over again?
if so, i dont really care that much haha

It probably works the same way as it does in Uncharted; where you'll only have to complete the chapters that you haven't cleared. It will show the highest difficulty completed for each chapter.

todahawk

LM actually removes the strategy element.

yeah, my last playthrough i turned it off to prep for survivor and I loved the game without it. I would sit and listen with my own ears and plan for movements the best I could. Mucho fun & made me think more.

Anyone else find the game overly repetitive?

Def not. I'm on my third playthrough of the SP story and not tired of anything in the slightest.*

*I've never played a game back-to-back-to-back so quickly. I usually get bored or burned out. Not here.

ZeroRay

The spawning at the opening of the
Financial District, where Ellie first gets the rifle is weak.

After you stealthily take out the initial group of enemies, four more spawn without notification to the player, and they just stand still until you get their attention somehow. Out of all the immersion breaking things you could have in the Last of Us, this particular one is the worst IMO.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivf5nN0H0nk

Start at 7:00 for the lol

Evolved1

The spawning at the opening of the
Financial District, where Ellie first gets the rifle is weak.

After you stealthily take out the initial group of enemies, four more spawn without notification to the player, and they just stand still until you get their attention somehow. Out of all the immersion breaking things you could have in the Last of Us, this particular one is the worst IMO.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivf5nN0H0nk

Start at 7:00 for the lol

It's pretty easy to understand why that had to happen there.
The story beat that immediately followed wouldn't have made any sense without at least some of the combat being forced, and loud.

Play backseat game designer for a second and try to come up with a better solution. You'll be compromising something any way you approach it. And in this game, seems like protecting their narrative took priority. Personally I agree with their decision, as it's
one of my favorite story moments in the game.

Top Bottom