• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Just finished the game. For the first few hours I wasn't sure how I was supposed to play the game. Total stealth, stealth with takedowns, guns blazing? I didn't know if the game was a third person shooter or adventure.

Great game, though. As if Uncharted wasn't enough prove, Naughty Dog have proven themselves the best developers this gen, no contest.

RoKKeR

Just finished the game. For the first few hours I wasn't sure how I was supposed to play the game. Total stealth, stealth with takedowns, guns blazing? I didn't know if the game was a third person shooter or adventure.
All of the above. It's been stated time and time again in this thread, but this game shines when you stealth around, make a mistake, have to scramble to keep yourself alive, restealth, pop out guns blazing, etc. The beautiful thing about the game's combat system is that it's incredibly flexible, and lets you take on (almost) every encounter the way you see fit.

Also, this game has spoiled me. Just started playing Tomb Raider and while I'm sure the voice acting is just fine, coming off TLoU it's just subpar to say the least. Everything is so...predictable.

Even with the things that really bugged me (like, you know, part of Summer, half of Fall, and almost all of Winter), I found myself contemplating another playthrough today. That never happened with an Uncharted.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Even with the things that really bugged me (like, you know, part of Summer, half of Fall, and almost all of Winter), I found myself contemplating another playthrough today. That never happened with an Uncharted.

Did you ever do an in-depth impressions write up anywhere? I don't recall reading one.

taizuke

I would like to unlock the rest of the concept art but i have 0 in-game money cause i wasted it all on skins. I only played the SP 4 times (normal, normal +, survivor, survivor +). I thought that by beating the hardest setting i would get the money from hard and hard +, is that not the case? I also got all the collectibles, shiv doors, and optional conversations every playthrough thinking it would add more money but it seems that only counts once.

Did you ever do an in-depth impressions write up anywhere? I don't recall reading one.

I tried to reign in the diatribes on this one, just dropped a few posts while playing. There wasn't much for me to say that hadn't been said already by others by the time I finished. Winter honestly was the low point for me, but by that time I was just really burnt out on the kind of encounters dominated by that section of the game, namely
waves of charging infected and broad-pathing shooty dudes
. It took me taking small, patient bites for a few days to stomach getting past it, and it was a real shame because I enjoyed what was going on story-wise.

Biggest complaint otherwise really was the pacing.
Summer dragged after the Hotel, imo. I thought honestly every instance of the Hummer could have been cut to no plot or gameplay detriment.
I felt the whole package in general though was well-balanced in its approach to delivering choices, options, and story, and the difficulty curve was pretty much spot on throughout.

I think the most I really posted about was the ending in the spoiler thread.

Finished the game earlier today. The first 10% and last 20% were excellent, but the middle had my eyes rolling from all the cliches and unnecessary videogame conventions. I still think the game was very good, and much better than the Uncharted series. I'm interested in where ND goes from here, I hope they put Uncharted on the back burner and continue from the end of TLoU.

poodpick

Just finished the game! Played through it all from noon till 1:45. I usually hate "cinematic games" and games that sacrifice framerate for eye candy, but this game has single handedly changed my mind of the subject. Gonna see if I can find the uncharted games for cheap

PS Fuck you shinobi for spoiling the game. So much tension removed because of that shitty thread title.

takriel

Wow, this game. Granted, I didn't play it by myself but rather watched it being played on YouTube, so I got the full cinematic experience out of it. Just wow. Great game, great story, great characters!

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Wow, this game. Granted, I didn't play it by myself but rather watched it being played on YouTube, so I got the full cinematic experience out of it. Just wow. Great game, great story, great characters!
Wow you watched the whole thing online? It's surprising to hear it's still enjoyable that way. Were there any gameplay elements you thought looked attractive to you or are you just not interested in playing this sort of game?

CompleteStealth

Neo Member
Well then let's be honest... it's kind of unfair to mark the game for being repetitive when you're the one imposing the restrictions. You're actively choosing to limit your experience by arbitrarily limiting your own experience. TLoU is not a stealth game. It's a game with stealth. There's a difference.

Imo TLoU really shines the brightest when it's loud and messy. It's best when the stealth breaks down and you have to claw your way out of a bad situation. I'm kind of too good at the game now for it to be that tense anymore, but first couple times through, game is at its best when you give it some room to breathe. There are no bonus points for going unseen, no trophies for stealth runs, no rewards for playing it any specific way. Thus, no reason to purposefully limit the options available to you in combat.
Seems that you baited me in under the premise of a joke.

To correct you on your incorrect assumption of how I've played the game based on my reply to what I assumed was a joke, I have completed a pacifist stealth run on normal (only where the game allows, there are a lot of glitched areas that prevent it), and have also played it as a 3rd person shooter on hard. I say the game is repetitive based on the linear nature of the game and repeated encounters. The game goes like this to me
encounter infected, encounter hostile humans, easy raft puzzle, encounter infected, easy raft puzzle, encounter hostile humans etc. etc. rinse and repeat. Only two sections I fully enjoyed that where unlike any other experience in the game where the final tunnel of infected as it brought back the fear of infected that fades during half way, and the escape from the town.

Enough of the elitist talk though, everyone has a different opinion and mine is the game isn't a 10/10 and only thing that saves it from a mediocre score is a great story and industry hype.

rafaelr

Åesop;70932706 said:
I just sold my copy of The Last of Us on ebay..

so I can buy the Special Edition !

genius! just did almost the same thing, though i´ll give my regular copy to a pal so we can do multiplayer.

v0mitg0d

http://eat-games.tumblr.com/post/55627570901/interview-nate-wells

I got a chance to sit down with Nate Wells (Art Director on BioShock, BioShock Infinite/ Art Lead on TLOU) at E3 and we talked about a ton of things.

We talk about why he left Irrational Games 6 months before launch, developing on the PS4, ego-less development, SWAT 4, The Lost (Irrational Game never compelted), Naughty Dogs process and why he's so proud of their quiet little story-book of a game--The Last of Us.

Here are a few quotes:

Actually I don’t know if I’m…can we transition this conversation? Because I don’t want to this to go out there and be 75% BioShock, because it’s probably going to ruffle feathers over there and, you know, honestly these are questions you should ask Scott Sinclair—not me.

Regarding SWAT 4:
"When you go into the President’s office you’ll notice he has an Elephant’s foot umbrella stand. There’s this theme of just raping Africa in it. Like, it has no place in a tactical shooter, but we wanted to do it. We wanted everything to play out like “This place is really horrible!"

Regarding The Last of Us:
The environment really becomes a mirror to humanity. Humanity has decayed and become infected, so has their world. It’s decayed and it’s now being overrun and reclaimed by nature in the same way their bodies are. It makes a great analog, but it also makes these incredibility beautiful moments that you’re not likely to see

Evolved1

I tried to reign in the diatribes on this one, just dropped a few posts while playing. There wasn't much for me to say that hadn't been said already by others by the time I finished. Winter honestly was the low point for me, but by that time I was just really burnt out on the kind of encounters dominated by that section of the game, namely
waves of charging infected and broad-pathing shooty dudes
. It took me taking small, patient bites for a few days to stomach getting past it, and it was a real shame because I enjoyed what was going on story-wise.

Biggest complaint otherwise really was the pacing.
Summer dragged after the Hotel, imo. I thought honestly every instance of the Hummer could have been cut to no plot or gameplay detriment.
I felt the whole package in general though was well-balanced in its approach to delivering choices, options, and story, and the difficulty curve was pretty much spot on throughout.

I think the most I really posted about was the ending in the spoiler thread.

Okay.

I'm pretty secure in my opinion (and praise) of this particular game, but there are a certain dozen or so gaffers for whom I raise an eyebrow when they have a different take on something I feel strongly about. So, I genuinely like to know where they're coming from, because it often makes me reevaluate my own position, seeing it from a different perspective. This game I'm pretty locked in on, lol... but you know... still curious.

Seems that you baited me in under the premise of a joke.

To correct you on your incorrect assumption of how I've played the game based on my reply to what I assumed was a joke, I have completed a pacifist stealth run on normal (only where the game allows, there are a lot of glitched areas that prevent it), and have also played it as a 3rd person shooter on hard. I say the game is repetitive based on the linear nature of the game and repeated encounters. The game goes like this to me
encounter infected, encounter hostile humans, easy raft puzzle, encounter infected, easy raft puzzle, encounter hostile humans etc. etc. rinse and repeat. Only two sections I fully enjoyed that where unlike any other experience in the game where the final tunnel of infected as it brought back the fear of infected that fades during half way, and the escape from the town.

Enough of the elitist talk though, everyone has a different opinion and mine is the game isn't a 10/10 and only thing that saves it from a mediocre score is a great story and industry hype.

I guess I may have done that... seems a lot worse when you put it like that though! Wasn't really premeditated.

Anyway I don't think your criticism is invalid or anything... especially now that you've explained it. That is what the game is. Personally I think there's a bit more to it, but I understand where you're coming from. Also, I apologize for making assumptions. I don't like when people do that to me, so I shouldn't have done that.

Okay.

I'm pretty secure in my opinion (and praise) of this particular game, but their are a certain dozen or so gaffers for whom I raise an eyebrow when they have a different take on something I feel strongly about. So, I genuinely like to know where they're coming from, because it often makes me reevaluate my own position, seeing it from a different perspective. This game I'm pretty locked in on, lol... but you know... still curious.

Heh, yeah, that's usually how I operate as well. I dunno, there was a lot of little things that could have driven me nuts, but they were used sparingly and in the right ways, and overall the game really worked for me as well. I can't complain too much about cinematic games when they let go of your hand for the majority of the game. Playing Tomb Raider and this without using their respective "detective modes" really underscored the disparity in the level of hand-holding present in both games by default, and in general I found it interesting how a much more organic and balanced approach to both encounter design and agency resulted in something that felt as superior as TLoU did. I won't lie though, after a while I certainly was rolling my eyes every time a new contrivance emerged to send me into cover from guys with guns.

I would say that the game wasn't what I expected. I went in attempting full stealth, and after like 12 hours I finally realized the reason I was thinking the game was kinda repetitious and dull was because I was just dying and restarting every encounter every time I blew stealth. I can't see how someone who is trying a full stealth run as much as the game allows is going to think highly of the experience.

In retrospect, I think that's something to save for a Survivor run after you're familiar with the content.

Pepboy

I got a chance to sit down with Nate Wells (Art Director on BioShock, BioShock Infinite/ Art Lead on TLOU) at E3 and we talked about a ton of things.

Good read! I like that you reached out to someone we normally don't hear much from. I enjoy Ken Levine and other directors, but seeing the process from another perspective was interesting. Sometimes I felt like your questions were "leading", but Nate did a great job expounding. So I guess that means you have a good sense of what questions to ask!

I would say that the game wasn't what I expected. I went in attempting full stealth, and after like 12 hours I finally realized the reason I was thinking the game was kinda repetitious and dull was because I was just dying and restarting every encounter every time I blew stealth. I can't see how someone who is trying a full stealth run as much as the game allows is going to think highly of the experience.

In retrospect, I think that's something to save for a Survivor run after you're familiar with the content.

Just curious, if you go full stealth/pacifist, do you still get characters talking about how many men you killed? I was more or less Rambo incarnate, so it made sense in context but I am curious if it was 100% scripted.

Just curious, if you go full stealth/pacifist, do you still get characters talking about how many men you killed? I was more or less Rambo incarnate, so it made sense in context but I am curious if it was 100% scripted.

The things the enemies say that are specific to location seem to be scripted. Lots of little scripted conversations or actions always occur between the same dudes in the same spots depending on how you approach an encounter. Only the stuff where they stop and go "hey, I'm going this way, you check over there" seem to be truly situational. I was actually surprised how differently a few encounters played out depending on which part of the area I crept up to first. In general though, it seems you are intended to believe that you're not just knocking these guys out, Joel is capable of killing them in about 5 seconds with just his forearm, so I guess technically there's no such thing as a pacifist run :p

And thats your problem =P The game is at its fucking best when your "plan" goes to shit and you've got to improvise on the spot.

Hey man, I gave you your chance to make fun of me for playing the game "wrong" when I discussed this the first time, now you're just rubbing it in :p

Betcha $5 Derrick has gone insane not being able to rant about this game in here, and will return to us a withered shell of a man.

RoKKeR

Hey man, I gave you your chance to make fun of me for playing the game "wrong" when I discussed this the first time, now you're just rubbing it in :p

Betcha $5 Derrick has gone insane not being able to rant about this game in here, and will return to us a withered shell of a man.

In most cases I would dread his opinion like a ton of bricks crashing down on a thread of a game I enjoy, but like Evolved said, I'm pretty set in place on The Last of Us so I want to hear it. :D

rataplein

guys, i'm doing my third run, which was supposedly the survivor + run... i'm almost finishing the outskirts (right know at the capitol building) and by being curious i checked my chapter select and cant see any "+" or anything that shows that i'm doing the plus run.

i did mess with a few subchapters (loading my old 100% survivor run, choosing against saving anything).

is there any way to check if i'm on the survivor PLUS run?. i don't wan to start again... even if it's 2 hours in.

thanks!.

pd: if i check per chapter, it shows collectibles and difficulty, right now it only says "survivor". it's that ok if it's a + run?.

Evolved1

guys, i'm doing my third run, which was supposedly the survivor + run... i'm almost finishing the outskirts (right know at the capitol building) and by being curious i checked my chapter select and cant see any "+" or anything that shows that i'm doing the plus run.

i did mess with a few subchapters (loading my old 100% survivor run, choosing against saving anything).

is there any way to check if i'm on the survivor PLUS run?. i don't wan to start again... even if it's 2 hours in.

thanks!.

pd: if i check per chapter, it shows collectibles and difficulty, right now it only says "survivor". it's that ok if it's a + run?.

If you are currently on a + run, when you boot up the game, you should see
Ellie's switchblade on the window
of the start screen.

lmpaler

Irrelevant = discussing ND's last two games on a Playstation podcast

They are comparing a two year old game to one released a month ago because they have the same score and are from the same developer. Uncharted 3 deserved the score it got because they decided to give it to the game at that time as they did with TLoU now.

TLoU shits all over Uncharted 3 in storytelling and in the MP department, but AT THE TIME UC3 came out until TLoU did, yes it was the best.

So yes, it is irrelevant and pointless to compare them. They only did it, like they do most things, to rile people up and get clicks.

Andrew.

Banned

We need to start a betting pool or something involving his attitude and opinions on every release he missed out on bitching about. Also, E3.

And I'd never make fun of ya Ham. You're good people. I will, however, bust your balls like so =D

Fuck it.

Welcome Back Derrick |OT| The thread of "What the fuck have you hated since you've been gone? And did you buy yourself a nice watch?"

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Derrick wasn't perma'd? Did he get 6 months?

Well, I'm impressed. The poor guy missed his big chance to criticize Infinite and this game.

We talk about why he left Irrational Games 6 months before launch, developing on the PS4, ego-less development, SWAT 4, The Lost (Irrational Game never compelted), Naughty Dogs process and why he's so proud of their quiet little story-book of a game--The Last of Us.

Damn, the quotes don't do justice to the amazing interview!

With the Bioshock Infinite questions, it just seems that he had to leave because of the delay, and he makes it sound as if some might have been angered by the decision.

Still, I'm very glad he's happy at ND! It does sound as if art design continues all the way to the last month, most interesting, I didn't really know that. I thought he wouldn't have had much impact on the game, but he actually did! He even did the beautiful title screen.

I like the concept of the one game for every dev to see and try, it must be fantastic to give feedback, and must make the job environment very good. The only thing that might be bad is getting over the fear of fucking up early on, but after that, it must be great.

Another good highlight is his list of devs he'd like to have joined after Irrational (it did sound as if he wanted to leave for some time): Valve, ND, Bethesda, and Bungie. He said he'd never thought about making it to Valve due to the terrifying job interview! Yeah, it really seems to be very intimidating according to the Valve Handibook.

Anyway, keep these interviews up, v0mit!

rataplein

Do you have your upgrades?

well, i feel a little stupid now. i was just worried because the lack of * in the chapter select. cool then!

If you are currently on a + run, when you boot up the game, you should see
Ellie's switchblade on the window
of the start screen.

yeah, i see that too =D

and also, i can't believe how better i'm at the game now. first time i struggle a lot to finish the first area with the clicker.

second time (on survivor) it took me a lot of tries to get it right, without wasting one bullet.

and now, i just did it in the first time. i play much more agressive, which it's awesome.
strangle the first runner, two headshots at the clicker, brick punches to the next, run a little bit, pick another brick and the board. boom. clear in 20 seconds. feels awesome.

Finished in 17:28:12.

What can I say. Nothing original sadly. This is a masterpiece of epic proportions. The story is believable, enjoyable, mature. The characters, the morality, the music, gameplay... Every single piece of this game is a success.

Uncharted 2 was my favorite game this gen, and The Last of us is way beyond that. Naughty Dogs have my respect for life, this is a work of art. Thank you guys if you still read this thread.

Now time to test the online mode, we6fe joining.

Nothing beat Uncharted 2 !!!! I haven't played TLOU yet but i know deep in my heart it cannot be better than U2.

Great read. Thanks for posting this.

Enjoyed this tidbit:

I’ve been in this industry for 15 years and the technology has changed significantly, the industry has changed, the amount the industry rakes in each year has changed significantly, but what hasn’t changed are the relationships.

I had conversations on The Last of Us that I had on Thief 1 fifteen years ago. It’s still human beings making these games. You know, it’s the classic struggle: Design wants you to do this and be fairly conservative, Art wants to be very liberal and get in as much art as they can, and then programming has to say “Neither of you can actually get what you want.” I’m joking but that’s sort of the dynamic. It doesn’t matter where you go or what studio you go to. You’ll see the same sort of dynamics develop. But, there are marked differences as well.

Also, It sounds like he's really happy at ND. Makes me really wonder what ND are up to now...hnnng

RyoonZ

Banned
Finally platinum'd it. I almost gave up until my friend told me that I probably didn't finish the first chapter on Survivor. Thank goodness!

CompleteStealth

Neo Member
Okay.

I'm pretty secure in my opinion (and praise) of this particular game, but there are a certain dozen or so gaffers for whom I raise an eyebrow when they have a different take on something I feel strongly about. So, I genuinely like to know where they're coming from, because it often makes me reevaluate my own position, seeing it from a different perspective. This game I'm pretty locked in on, lol... but you know... still curious.

I guess I may have done that... seems a lot worse when you put it like that though! Wasn't really premeditated.

Anyway I don't think your criticism is invalid or anything... especially now that you've explained it. That is what the game is. Personally I think there's a bit more to it, but I understand where you're coming from. Also, I apologize for making assumptions. I don't like when people do that to me, so I shouldn't have done that.

No worries, I apologise for posting in an elitist manner concerning the game.

And to whoever asked, the game doesn't change based on how you play it and dialogue still makes sense even during a pacifist (or as pacifist as possible) run because of all the forced combat. I guess that is also something that rubbed me the wrong way with the game, the limitations imposed on the player on how you approach the game. Ability to limit weapons power ups etc. is standard in all games, it was the initial marketing of the game and gameplay that led me to think that I would be able to play the game however I wanted. That isn't the case and makes an already linear game more one dimensional.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Having actually played through all difficulties (no shiv glitching, no skipping straight to Survivor+) I'd rank them as follows:

Hard+ (Yes, it is harder than survivor despite the extra ammo)
Survivor
Survivor+ (has the least noticable bump in difficulty of all the plus modes)
Hard
Normal+
Normal

v0mitg0d

that was a great read, thanks a lot!

Great read. Thanks for posting this.

You're very welcome! Thanks for checking it out. It was a lot of work, but I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge of the entire process.

Good read! I like that you reached out to someone we normally don't hear much from. I enjoy Ken Levine and other directors, but seeing the process from another perspective was interesting. Sometimes I felt like your questions were "leading", but Nate did a great job expounding. So I guess that means you have a good sense of what questions to ask!

No, that's a fair observation. I didn't realize it was sort of leading until I was transcribing the interview. I assume you're talking about the credits question? I suppose, for me, I knew he worked on the game for 5 years and was not credited properly for directing the art, and I totally didn't understand it until he explained it to me. Though I don't think Infinite is a perfect game, the Art Direction is stunning, and I was bummed to see a talented person not get the proper credit.

Damn, the quotes don't do justice to the amazing interview!

With the Bioshock Infinite questions, it just seems that he had to leave because of the delay, and he makes it sound as if some might have been angered by the decision.

Still, I'm very glad he's happy at ND! It does sound as if art design continues all the way to the last month, most interesting, I didn't really know that. I thought he wouldn't have had much impact on the game, but he actually did! He even did the beautiful title screen.

I like the concept of the one game for every dev to see and try, it must be fantastic to give feedback, and must make the job environment very good. The only thing that might be bad is getting over the fear of fucking up early on, but after that, it must be great.

Another good highlight is his list of devs he'd like to have joined after Irrational (it did sound as if he wanted to leave for some time): Valve, ND, Bethesda, and Bungie. He said he'd never thought about making it to Valve due to the terrifying job interview! Yeah, it really seems to be very intimidating according to the Valve Handibook.

Anyway, keep these interviews up, v0mit!

Thanks! :)

For those that might have missed it, here is a link to the interview everyone is chatting about: http://eat-games.tumblr.com/post/55627570901/interview-nate-wells

P.S. - I got linked on Gamasutra! :O

Top Bottom