• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

I am so glad I made it a point to avoid all gameplay videos, spoilers etc since this launched for PS3 like a vampire avoiding sunlight. It has been so worth not knowing anything about it before playing.

Just finished Winter and my God this game just keeps bringing it.

Love these first time impressions. If there was one thing I would like to experience all over again, it would either be:

The Last of Us
or
Lost

Probably Lost; but this is a close second :)

Yeah it was my mistake reading prompt wrong, but they should have had the tip repeat on the restart since many people seem to have trouble at the same spot.

The difficulty of regular combat is fine, its only the clickers. It gets frustrating, eg why can I only fire like a second apart from shots? I should be able to fire off all 6 rounds of my revolver as fast as I can pull the trigger (I mean its balanced anyway given how slow he reloads).

For the most part you do not want to be shooting the clickers as doing so alerts the others and there is just no way you will shoot your way out of that kind of situation on hard+ difficulty. Use stealth and either shiv them brick them or just bypass them if possible. After a while you will realize that they are not really the biggest threat that
humans
are.

As a someone with around 7 playthroughs under my belt including Grounded, I can't explain how funny it is to see someone:

1) Not reading the prompts properly (you forgot the keyword "softly")
2) Failing to kill them anyway with the enormous amounts of ammo at your disposal
3) Complaining that those enormous amounts aren't enough.

1, yep my fault, though they could have given hints given other people had issues too.

2, firing too slow is unrealistic limitation, I should be able to empty a clip quickly then get in trouble reloading, since that feels realistic and "my fault" versus slow feeling firing.

3. well just give them out less, limiting to holding 14 bullets doesnt make sense in the gameworld, just dont have hardly any bullets in the world is better IMO

plainr_

Me earlier in the thread

k3aNXDX.gif

xtWpu4y.jpg

I've beaten this game twice already. I regret nothing.

lol.

Yeah it was my mistake reading prompt wrong, but they should have had the tip repeat on the restart since many people seem to have trouble at the same spot.

The difficulty of regular combat is fine, its only the clickers. It gets frustrating, eg why can I only fire like a second apart from shots? I should be able to fire off all 6 rounds of my revolver as fast as I can pull the trigger (I mean its balanced anyway given how slow he reloads).

"This game needs to be made the way I want it to be played". Is all I get from your post.

1, yep my fault, though they could have given hints given other people had issues too.

2, firing too slow is unrealistic limitation, I should be able to empty a clip quickly then get in trouble reloading, since that feels realistic and "my fault" versus slow feeling firing.

3. well just give them out less, limiting to holding 14 bullets doesnt make sense in the gameworld, just dont have hardly any bullets in the world is better IMO

If you want less bullets scattered throughout - play on a higher difficulty. Supplies and ammo are more scarce.

AGoodODST

Picked up my copy in Glasgow today! Really looking forward to replaying this. Only played through it once on on a borrowed PS3 before and there were certain aspects I didn't like or get to spend time with. Going to be good experiencing it at my own pace.

drotahorror

As a someone with around 7 playthroughs under my belt including Grounded, I can't explain how funny it is to see someone:

1) Not reading the prompts properly (you forgot the keyword "softly")
2) Failing to kill them anyway with the enormous amounts of ammo at your disposal
3) Complaining that those enormous amounts aren't enough.

Yeah you really have to use everything at your disposal. Personally I use ammo last when it comes to clickers. I'd rather brick them, or beat them with a melee weapon. I think the only time I had problems with ammo was near the end of the game, about 70-80% of the way through.

Nafai1123

Banned
Alright, after playing for several hours yesterday, here are some first impressions. Spoilers up to the town where you meet
Bill.

Intro was fucking crazy! Walking thorough the house as his daughter, I was legit scared something was going to get the jump on me before I could get to Joel. Tearing at those heartstrings early with how it ends. :'(

The relationship between Joel and Tess was amazing. There was clearly a connection there that was never fully realized due to the situation they found themselves in. The pain/anger they both express when you find out Tess was bitten...damn.

I love how they slowly introduce Joel and Ellie to each other through gameplay instead of a cinematic. At first I was a little taken aback by how quickly they skip through that cutscene and get right to them travelling together, but once I kept playing it made sense. The little things that Ellie does while exploring the environment (commenting at the record store/gnomes/etc) does a good job of making you feel closer to her and want to protect her and makes it more natural.

I'm sure it was harder to aim on the PS3 due to the framerate, but at this point in the game I'm still having a hell of a time getting head shots. I'm not sure how anyone could have ever said this game is Uncharted with zombies. The gameplay is so completely different! More tank-like, slow paced and plodding.

I find the game visually stunning. The level of detail work that went into the environment is incredible, even for a PS3 remaster without added geometry. Everything just looks so organic and lived in, and the level design feels the same way. I love the way you naturally flow from one space to another without feeling like you are being guided there too much. I seriously cant' wait to see what ND do with a full-fledged PS4 game.

Overall, I'm really enjoying it so far (as I'm sure you can tell lol). I can't wait to get home from work and keep playing.

Argh, every Gamestop in the area that says In Stock on the website says all the copies they have are reserved for preorders. Is there an end date for the 50% trade-in offer? End of this week?

Argh, every Gamestop in the area that says In Stock on the website says all the copies they have are reserved for preorders. Is there an end date for the 50% trade-in offer? End of this week?

tried best buy? they had a bunch of copies launch day (you can see if you can buy online with store pickup to guarantee a copy when you get there). not sure about the 50% trade in deal though

Overall, I'm really enjoying it so far (as I'm sure you can tell lol). I can't wait to get home from work and keep playing.

Glad to see you're enjoying it :D

And yeah, the aiming is a little tricky to adapt to until you get the upgrades, but I like the added layer of tension it gave when I had to resort to shooting the enemies, I had to really concentrate and line up the weapon sway for the headshot. Sweaty palms were had many a time.

Alright, after playing for several hours yesterday, here are some first impressions. Spoilers up to the town where you meet
Bill.

Intro was fucking crazy! Walking thorough the house as his daughter, I was legit scared something was going to get the jump on me before I could get to Joel. Tearing at those heartstrings early with how it ends. :'(

The relationship between Joel and Tess was amazing. There was clearly a connection there that was never fully realized due to the situation they found themselves in. The pain/anger they both express when you find out Tess was bitten...damn.

I love how they slowly introduce Joel and Ellie to each other through gameplay instead of a cinematic. At first I was a little taken aback by how quickly they skip through that cutscene and get right to them travelling together, but once I kept playing it made sense. The little things that Ellie does while exploring the environment (commenting at the record store/gnomes/etc) does a good job of making you feel closer to her and want to protect her and makes it more natural.

I'm sure it was harder to aim on the PS3 due to the framerate, but at this point in the game I'm still having a hell of a time getting head shots. I'm not sure how anyone could have ever said this game is Uncharted with zombies. The gameplay is so completely different! More tank-like, slow paced and plodding.

I find the game visually stunning. The level of detail work that went into the environment is incredible, even for a PS3 remaster without added geometry. Everything just looks so organic and lived in, and the level design feels the same way. I love the way you naturally flow from one space to another without feeling like you are being guided there too much. I seriously cant' wait to see what ND do with a full-fledged PS4 game.

Thanks for more impressions, keep em coming! Yeah the thing about this game (and many of ND's recent games) is that they aren't JUST story/cinematics or JUST gameplay. It marries the two together in a way that few other games can, everything feels natural and seamless, and the gameplay and story compliment each other in lots of great ways - like the little conversations that you mentioned, or things you do that other characters react to.

Even though the game is pretty linear, it does a great job mostly making you feel like you're in control.

andycapps

Bill.

Agreed to all of this. The game is challenging, and was on PS3. Saying it's like Uncharted with zombies is reductive and misleading, IMO. You may be able to run and gun on easy, but on hard and beyond, you're not going to get very far and you'll get frustrated.

You will also see a lot of people say everything is great about TLOU except actually playing it. And I think that's a reductive statement and says more about how much the person tries to learn the gameplay systems and the enemy behaviors than it does about the system in TLOU. If anything, the system is easy at first glance, but has tons of depth if you try to learn it. If you think it has a poor/easy system, crank up the difficulty. You'll learn you have to master the system to succeed.

When I got mine yesterday they said they didn't know how long the 50% trade-in promo was going to last. I'm assuming through this week or whenever their new list of specials comes out.

Nafai1123

Banned
Glad to see you're enjoying it :D

And yeah, the aiming is a little tricky to adapt to until you get the upgrades, but I like the added layer of tension it gave when I had to resort to shooting the enemies, I had to really concentrate and line up the weapon sway for the headshot. Sweaty palms were had many a time.

Yeah, it's definitely not to the point of frustration, just adaptation. It also makes it more difficult because the infected move so much more differently than regular humans (especially the clickers). Their erratic head movements make landing those shots harder but more rewarding. I find myself using stealth/melee more than I probably would otherwise, which is fantastic.

Playing on hard seems like the perfect first difficulty play through for me. Died several times already, but they don't feel cheap or overly frustrating.

Yeah, it's definitely not to the point of frustration, just adaptation. It also makes it more difficult because the infected move so much more differently than regular humans (especially the clickers). Their erratic head movements make landing those shots harder but more rewarding. I find myself using stealth/melee more than I probably would otherwise, which is fantastic.

Playing on hard seems like the perfect first difficulty play through for me. Died several times already, but they don't feel cheap or overly frustrating.

Yeah, I found hard perfectly balanced. I had just enough supplies to get me through most encounters, and the enemies were just powerful enough to pose an actual threat if I was spotted.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just did that and it worked. Never downloaded any of the MP stuff
KuGsj.gif

Just got it for Left Behind+The Grounded Doc. Still worth it.

Bought the season pass for left behind and the doc too. And then two days after I bought it, they put the doc up on YouTube for free :p

Never played any MP on PS3, but it is a lot of fun on PS4.

Bought the season pass for left behind and the doc too. And then two days after I bought it, they put the doc up on YouTube for free :p

Never played any MP on PS3, but it is a lot of fun on PS4.

Is MP only player vs player or are there co-op missions (like against the monster)

MP wouldnt work for me yesterday evening but havent tried again today

sounded quite interesting the supplies aspect? is there a metagame involved?

Wow so I kept running out of shivs in that first tough part of the game with clickers. problem I have with stealth games is I have to find everything in a level (every collectible) so just avoiding them isnt an option for me.

restarted again, tried molotov. wow, very cool effect both effectiveness wise and the visual effect (and how the enemy reacts on fire). I can see now that the game intentionally was making these enemies be fought using different tactics than guns.

Wow so I kept running out of shivs in that first tough part of the game with clickers. problem I have with stealth games is I have to find everything in a level (every collectible) so just avoiding them isnt an option for me.

restarted again, tried molotov. wow, very cool effect both effectiveness wise and the visual effect (and how the enemy reacts on fire). I can see now that the game intentionally was making these enemies be fought using different tactics than guns.

Man, I got myself out of so many sticky situations with a well placed molotov. It's great when a burning enemy will set other enemies on fire if they walk over him. I would position Joel so that enemies would walk over their burning comrade to get to me. Muahaha.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is MP only player vs player or are there co-op missions (like against the monster)

MP wouldnt work for me yesterday evening but havent tried again today

sounded quite interesting the supplies aspect? is there a metagame involved?

Yeah, as you earn supplies, you gain members in your 'clan'. One neat touch is that you can have it pull names from your Facebook contacts (doesn't post or anything) so your clan fills up with people you know. There is also something about 12 weeks but not sure about that. There is an MP thread where they could probably explain that in tons more detail

Top Bottom