• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Whats the main difference between grounded and survivor, is it just supplies and salvage?

The biggest difference is there are no mid fight checkpoints. Ie, on survivor after you took out say 5 enemies, it would checkpoint whereas on Grounded you have to complete the area first.

Makes the basement incredibly intense and the sniper area incredibly annoying, especially when the checkpoint saves with you at no health :p

nib95

Banned
So my room is getting repainted and looks like a bomb site right now.

20140806_001753-picsay.jpg

That said....

The Show must go on.

20140806_003246-picsay.jpg

That's only with the clickers. Fighting the hunters or military I'm sure you could play it as a standard shooter like uncharted. This would be encouraged by the abundance of supplies at the lower difficulty and the plentiful ammo. Having 3 of each item constantly and all weapons filled up would allow a more the game to be played as a straight shooter. I definitly think the gameplay is best (and much different) at higher difficulties.
No, you cannot play it like Uncharted on Normal. You die much easier and your ammo is way more limited than in Uncharted where it's practically infinite.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
That trophy was glitched for me on PS3 along with conversations and jokes :/

I just checked the stats and it said I opened 12 doors when I know for a fact I opened all 13, now I have absolutely no way of knowing which one didn't register so I can't even attempt to open it again. Pain in the tits

Upgraded through a training manual, right? It should be saved.

Just did what you had written and it didn't work. The collectable I'd picked up isn't there, neither are any of the upgrades. It kinda makes sense though as I just quit and didn't save.

Not sure why it worked for you.

Think my brain just spoiled the ending for me...

Start of Spring. Joel says how he is going to teach Ellie guitar. For some reason my mind thinks now that the Fireflies will be their. They are going to want to kill Ellie to do studies on her. Either that is the ending of Joel decides not to let them do that and kills them all.

Please tell me I didn't think of the ending lol

Finished it. Ending was way to predictable as you can see I had guessed it. I am not on the hype train of best game ever. 7.5-8/10

foxdvd

Game went from being in my top five of last year to my favorite game this year. The 60 fps makes a huge difference, and playing on survival really makes it a better game..

Watching my friend, and fellow gaffer, struggle on survival is so much fun...love this generation

Finished it. Ending was way to predictable as you can see I had guessed it. I am not on the hype train of best game ever. 7.5-8/10

How the hell did you guess that just from
Joel wanting to teach her guitar
? I had no idea what was going to happen...then again, I always get way too engrossed in the moment with games/movies/TV shows to guess what's going to happen.

How the hell did you guess that just from
Joel wanting to teach her guitar
? I had no idea what was going to happen...then again, I always get way too engrossed in the moment with games/movies/TV shows to guess what's going to happen.

It's just a typical plot device. That shows when Joel really cares which means hes obviously going to be put at an odds to make a gripping story. So either he gives up on her becomes a more depressed man or he goes nut and saves her.

Remastered has definitely been worth the money for me. Replaying the story has been awesome although I think I will wait a while before I go through new game plus. The multiplayer which I barely played before as also been really enjoyable, it's very tactical and I regret not playing it more on ps3. Left Behind was also fun and had a couple of great encounters where you have the option to use infected as an offensive mechanism vs hunters, something which was not in the main game but really should have been.

Eh, I think the quality is in HOW it's told. Some people are going to guess the ending right. There were a ton of cliches that didn't happen. There is no story that's 100% unique anymore.

HardRojo

It's just a typical plot device. That shows when Joel really cares which means hes obviously going to be put at an odds to make a gripping story. So either he gives up on her becomes a more depressed man or he goes nut and saves her.
Or he either does that or that or that or that, yeah, with that many options I too can guess what could have happened...

Eh, I think the quality is in HOW it's told. Some people are going to guess the ending right. There were a ton of cliches that didn't happen. There is no story that's 100% unique anymore.

yeah i also guess the ending but it is how it happen and the effect of it .
Most stories you can see things coming and it's been that way for years to tell the truth no matter the format .

foxdvd

If it has already been said sorry for repeating, but do yourself a HUGE favor and spend the in game cash to unlock the concept art...some of these shots are stunning...there is one shot of Joel and Ellie around a fire laughing I would love to have as a poster...

http://i.imgur.com/AVfqOyI.jpg

KevinG

I've made it to the Hotel. I can only play an hour or less a night, and I've been dreading this moment. The basement is close.

Hubb

ombz

If it has already been said sorry for repeating, but do yourself a HUGE favor and spend the in game cash to unlock the concept art...some of these shots are stunning...there is one shot of Joel and Ellie around a fire laughing I would love to have as a poster...

http://i.imgur.com/AVfqOyI.jpg

From reading the reviews, I think the poster collection includes the campfire art. It didn't say in the description though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/160887379X/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1S3AMVTMDZ166MAP5WFD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

TEH-CJ

Banned
Why isnt there any co op survival mode in this by the way? such a missed opportunity!

imagine uncharted 2 like co op mode with clickers and bloaters. Would of been fucking amazing...why naughty dog? :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just beat it again. Still love the ending, such a great game.

And I've never really gamed with a headset before, so doing the final stretch with the gold has been pretty crazy.

This game is definitely tropey and predictable, I saw everything that happened coming...but like you said, it's how it's done. The performances given for Joel and Ellie elevate what is otherwise a pretty standard tale.

RoKKeR

The
scene where Joel is torturing David's thugs
is SO. FUCKING. GOOD.

Troy Baker's acting here is just unreal.
"Eyes here, come on."
Little touches like that just make it amazing.

Hubb

I was thinking about getting this digitally on PSN, is there any way to get the preorder bonuses if I buy it now?

No, best bet is if you are in a region with the Day 1 edition. That wont be digital though. For what it is worth, the preorder bonuses are pretty meh.

No, best bet is if you are in a region with the Day 1 edition. That wont be digital though. For what it is worth, the preorder bonuses are pretty meh.

Yeah, this is still to be launched on my country, but it will be 100% localized. I want to play it in english because of reasons.
Guess I will go without the bonuses then. :)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is there any way to start a NG+ playthrough without doing it after completing the game? I'm mid Grounded but I want to restart on Hard+ for a collectable run.
The
scene where Joel is torturing David's thugs
is SO. FUCKING. GOOD.

Troy Baker's acting here is just unreal.
"Eyes here, come on."
Little touches like that just make it amazing.
"It's OK. I believe him."

Just finished it on survivor. Holy shit, the very last section with all those
armoured guards. Couldn't do it. Luckily it isn't too hard to stealth through with a couple smoke bombs for the last bit.

I tried to get the collectibles this time around so I found all the stuff in the
hospital
(ending spoiler)
while I can empathise with Joel the gravity of his assholishness became even more apparent after seeing Marlene's notes + recordings. She left him alive! No room for idealism in The Last of Us. Seriously though, I felt horrible for her. I even shot the doctor in the leg as if that'd make things slightly less worse. He still died though lol

There are a quite a few hints that Joel is a complete nutter. I never really picked up on them before.

Vidpixel

This game is definitely tropey and predictable, I saw everything that happened coming...but like you said, it's how it's done. The performances given for Joel and Ellie elevate what is otherwise a pretty standard tale.

I don't know, it seemed to me that there were a lot of instances where the game threw you in situations you could definitely predict the outcome of, but it would supersede these moments with its own little twist on these conventions (story spoilers ahead):

For instance, I saw Sam's death coming from a mile away, but I didn't expect his brother Henry to commit suicide immediately afterwards. Also, I think we all knew something bad was going to happen once Joel and Ellie reached the Fireflies, but man, I did not expect Joel to react so selfishly and violently to the situation. The way the Winter chapter broke the fourth wall with the leader of the bandits questioning Ellie's motivations behind murdering his crew in the prior level was also a fantastic moment that I was not expecting.

ascii42

Just finished it on survivor. Holy shit, the very last section with all those
armoured guards. Couldn't do it. Luckily it isn't too hard to stealth through with a couple smoke bombs for the last bit.

I tried to get the collectibles this time around so I found all the stuff in the
hospital
(ending spoiler)
while I can empathise with Joel the gravity of his assholishness became even more apparent after seeing Marlene's notes + recordings. She left him alive! No room for idealism in The Last of Us. Seriously though, I felt horrible for her. I even shot the doctor in the leg as if that'd make things slightly less worse. He still died though lol

There are a quite a few hints that Joel is a complete nutter. I never really picked up on them before.
left him alive, sure, but they weren't going to give him his stuff back, apparently. He walks past his backpack just before attacking the guy making him leave. How far exactly was he supposed to make it without weapons or supplies?

RoKKeR

Just finished
Winter
. Hoping to complete this play through before the weekend so I can play Left Behind (for the first time, woo!) this weekend.

I am constantly amazed at how hard the game continues to hit me... this being my third play through. It's almost a year since I last played it and the finale to
Winter
hit me almost as hard as it did the first time around. While on your initial play through you are just floored by the story beats and moments, on additional playthroughs you are really able to appreciate the acting and directing of the cutscenes, the pacing and framing of the game, even things like the way sound is used to drive emotion. (ex.
sound fading out leaving only the soundtrack to play while Joel is consoling Ellie after her killing David. It's just too good.
)

Anyways, ramble over. Game is still a masterpiece.

I'm up to the part where
Ellie kills that guy while he's trying to drown Joel.

The voice acting in this game is on a level that all other games should strive for. The most standout 10/10 aspect of this game.

RedSwirl

Spoiler question about a log in the University chapter:

If I remember correctly, the monkeys they experimented on were immune. However, one managed to infect a researcher by biting him. Also, during the Winter chapter, Ellie warned those guys not to eat her because she's infected. I know she definitely said that to save her own life more than theirs, but it highlights the point that she IS infected. She's not immune to infection, she's just immune to turning. The infection is still there. The scanner from earlier in the game and Marlene say as much.

With all this in mind, isn't it at least theoretical that Ellie has the ability to infect other people? Probably through bodily contact with fluids.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Lol nice. Still prefer the sound and reaction to shotgun headshots though. Just disgustingly brutal. Both their head and chest open up like a can of nastiness.

oh yeah! the shot gun feedback is so satisfying. I am pretty sure Naught Dog improved the rag doll or feedback with the remastered version, don't remember it being that satisfying on the PS3. Although the 60fps could be half of the reason why the animations look so much better.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I just want to add. The animations are the best I have ever seen in a game. The hand to hand melee is so convincing and impactful. The way Joel or the enemy staggers or stumbles with every hit, and every bullet feels like its doing damage. Its amazing.

Best game ever made. I'm in love all over again.

I don't understand the point of shaking the controller when your flashlight is getting low. Usually when there is six-axis interaction it has some sort of real life connect with what you're doing. What is the point of shaking the controller to fix the light?

Am I missing something?

mcfrank

I don't understand the point of shaking the controller when your flashlight is getting low. Usually when there is six-axis interaction it has some sort of real life connect with what you're doing. What is the point of shaking the controller to fix the light?

Am I missing something?

You can shake flashlights to charge them.

nightstar-shake-flashlight-cut-out.jpg

Spoiler question about a log in the University chapter:

If I remember correctly, the monkeys they experimented on were immune. However, one managed to infect a researcher by biting him. Also, during the Winter chapter, Ellie warned those guys not to eat her because she's infected. I know she definitely said that to save her own life more than theirs, but it highlights the point that she IS infected. She's not immune to infection, she's just immune to turning. The infection is still there. The scanner from earlier in the game and Marlene say as much.

With all this in mind, isn't it at least theoretical that Ellie has the ability to infect other people? Probably through bodily contact with fluids.

Yes, she is probably as infections as an actual infected.

Finding is love life for her is going to be interesting...

Top Bottom